ADVERTISEMENT

1/31: Just a taste of 2023 NCAA BACATOLOGY

Looks that way, but at closer look, I’m not as sure it’s an iron clad given. How is their tourney structured? Some of their teams could possibly move into the top 100 to allow St Louis to rack up more Q2 wins and they have a bunch of games left against the better A-10 teams.

Also - the A-10 has a very weird team in Fordham that is 18-4 with no shot for at large - they played nobody and took some poundings to kill their NET. If Fordham won out and got the autobid, a St Louis loss to them in the finals would not hurt that much regardless of computer numbers (it could be a neutral loss to a 27-4 team hypothetically). I’m not saying this is likely - but there are definitely some paths remaining at this point for multiple bids.
SLU, Dayton, and VCU are playing hot potato with "could put together a run!" status. VCU is the next team up. If they get wins in their next two over SLU (road) and Dayton (home) then it's time to re-assess. But remember that VCU went 21-8 (14-4) in a much better A-10 last season and wasn't even First Four Out.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Tonight in bubbleland.

New Mexico at Utah State (61%) - This one is only Q2 for Utah State who is still 0-3 in Q1 but will take wins wherever they can get them. This would be a nice step forward for a five bid Mountain West.

Tennessee at Florida (26%) - The Gators aren't really on the bubble yet at 12-9 but a win over the #2 NET team would open some eyes. At a minimum Florida needs to go 2-1 in a three game stretch of this game and then at Kentucky and at Alabama.

Oklahoma State at Oklahoma - Zero-sum game. The loser of this game would be 12-10 and feeling things get tight. Oklahoma is currently in and OkState is out but the Cowboys have the easier remaining schedule.

Seton Hall (48%) at St. John's - For the Pirates to get in the mix they need this game. They're currently under water with a 4-8 Q1/Q2 record. This is a gettable Q2 game that has a chance of improving to Q1 by the end of the year.

Pittsburgh (26%) at North Carolina - We saw fellow First Four In team Nevada score a Q1 win last night. The Panthers don't have any Q1 or Q2 home games remaining, so they need to make something happen on the road.

Penn State (18%) at Purdue - I think it goes without saying how huge of a win this would be. Penn State led Purdue at the half at the Palestra and their three point shooting always gives them a shot. They won by 15 at Illinois.

That's 1.79 expected wins out of five games, plus the OU-OkSt game that will be a guaranteed win for a bubble team.

Elsewhere:

LSU at Missouri (83%)
Creighton (90%) at Georgetown
Florida State at NC State (88%)
Minnesota at Rutgers (94%)

All four of these teams are safely above the bubble fray and not in much danger tonight, but a Q3 or Q4 loss is a good way to tumble down quickly. If Rutgers lost their resume would be nearly identical to Iowa's. Here's how they'd stack up if Rutgers lost to Minnesota.

(Records are Q1 through Q4)
Iowa 5-5 3-2 1-0 5-1
Rutgers 4-4 3-2 1-1 6-1

This is the last Q4 landmine (at Minny is Q3) so please please please don't step on it.

Last edited:
Glad to not be in Bubbleland at the moment, but would a loss tonight put us there?

Glad to not be in Bubbleland at the moment, but would a loss tonight put us there?
We'd be just above it, somewhere in the 8 or 9 range. Teams like Kentucky, Pittsburgh, Clemson, Boise State, and Iowa have Q4 losses so it wouldn't be quite the anchor it was last year when it basically just us.

Okay, finally getting a chance to read the full OP. Running thoughts:

More and more I'm coming around to a random A-10 school (SLU, Dayton, or VCU) having a better chance at an at-large than Charleston, even with SLU's latest loss. I think everyone is going to breathe a little easier if Charleston takes another loss or two because there are some legit threats (Towson, Hofstra) to win the CAA tournament. But if VCU shores up their Q1/Q2 and gets to 13-5 I think it's close. Remember the committee nearly put Dayton in last year with three Q4 losses.

I don't see Oral Roberts getting at large consideration with an 0-4 Q1 record. Wyoming got in the First Four last year at 1-6 but made up for it with a 9-1 Q2 record. ORU at best will be 1-1. They'd have a better argument if they were 0-1 in Q1 like Charleston but having four chances and not hitting any of them is a bad look.

If we got a top 16 reveal right now it would be instructive on how influential the NET is. Would they put UConn (NET #8) over Xavier (NET #28)?

Overall an excellent summary as always, and it wasn't even your "full" summary. Looking forward to next week.

SLU, Dayton, and VCU are playing hot potato with "could put together a run!" status. VCU is the next team up. If they get wins in their next two over SLU (road) and Dayton (home) then it's time to re-assess. But remember that VCU went 21-8 (14-4) in a much better A-10 last season and wasn't even First Four Out.

I get that. However, they were 21-9 on Selection Sunday. Hypothetically, they could be something like 30-6 which would be very different even in a weaker A-10. The neutral win vs Pitt is probably more helpful than any individual win from last season too.

Anyone with Rutgers connection or background on the selection committee?
Is it a pipe dream that someone on the selection knows and takes into account on our behalf the win stolen from us at Ohio State? The Big Ten did nothing that matters to reverse the outcome.

Thanks. Quick question. When you look at the strength of a conference for an FAU as part of figuring out their overall resume, that figure I assume includes what that team does too, so it is a bit circular if that makes sense. I wonder if there is a way to look at the strength/ranking of the conference without a particular team?

I dont think there is a way of seperating them from the rest of the league. Obviously its increasing the overall rank of the conference. Its been 13 and 14 the past two years so up at 9 is a boost

Tremendous job as always and want to give you even more lofty props, as this is the best bracketology I have seen and the best in depth analysis . I used to try it for last 20 years but over the last 10 years , I do not even look at other bracketologists other than seeing someone mention what they are projecting on Twitter., I just wait for yours. You have cornered the market for me and I probably speak for the regulars on this board as well. Great great job.
That doesn’t mean we cannot have a good old fashion argument over a team , which is always enjoyable 😀😀 Watch out for Temple and Texas A& M. !!!
thank you and appreciate that you read. I know we bicker sometimes but we really arent all that far off on our thoughts about things!

Good stuff.

When the full bracketology is done, will that be a PREDICTION of what the Committee will do or is it what you think should be done?

any brackets I put out is just my opinion at the current moment. The last couple of brackets in the days leading up to Selection Sunday though will be tweaked to consider what the committee will do. Sometimes I have my own opinion on what it should look like but the committee has tendencies that you can pick up on.

Currently I have Texas a one which is an anomaly in brackets...that was before the Kansas win over KSU last night, I would flip to Kansas as the 1 after their win but because Kansas had lost 3 straight Big 12 games I felt they were not deserving of that spot with Texas coming on. They meet in a huge game on Monday that could change things again

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Okay, finally getting a chance to read the full OP. Running thoughts:

More and more I'm coming around to a random A-10 school (SLU, Dayton, or VCU) having a better chance at an at-large than Charleston, even with SLU's latest loss. I think everyone is going to breathe a little easier if Charleston takes another loss or two because there are some legit threats (Towson, Hofstra) to win the CAA tournament. But if VCU shores up their Q1/Q2 and gets to 13-5 I think it's close. Remember the committee nearly put Dayton in last year with three Q4 losses.

I don't see Oral Roberts getting at large consideration with an 0-4 Q1 record. Wyoming got in the First Four last year at 1-6 but made up for it with a 9-1 Q2 record. ORU at best will be 1-1. They'd have a better argument if they were 0-1 in Q1 like Charleston but having four chances and not hitting any of them is a bad look.

If we got a top 16 reveal right now it would be instructive on how influential the NET is. Would they put UConn (NET #8) over Xavier (NET #28)?

Overall an excellent summary as always, and it wasn't even your "full" summary. Looking forward to next week.

I just do not see any quality wins besides St Louis over Memphis/Providence. VCU beat Pitt but has 2 Q4 losses. Dayton has nothing

The St Louis net at 89 is disastrous

Anyone with Rutgers connection or background on the selection committee?
Is it a pipe dream that someone on the selection knows and takes into account on our behalf the win stolen from us at Ohio State? The Big Ten did nothing that matters to reverse the outcome.

supposedly when a school is talked about, a committee member who is a conference athletic director who that team is a part of isnt supposed to be involved but nothing about a fellow conference ad being able to discuss a conference team

we have the Minnesota AD on the committee

NCAA Tournament Selection Committee​

The 2022-2023 Selection Committee (the year the term is up is in parenthesis):

CHRIS REYNOLDS (2023) – Bradley Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics (Chairman)
BERNADETTE MCGLADE (2023) – Atlantic 10 Commissioner
CHARLES MCCLELLAND (2024) – SWAC Commissioner (Vice-Chairman)
JAMIE POLLARD (2024) – Iowa State Athletic Director
BUBBA CUNNINGHAM (2025) – North Carolina Athletic Director
MARK COYLE (2026) – Minnesota Athletic Director
DAVE HEEKE (2026) – Arizona Athletic Director
GREG BYRNE (2026) – Alabama Athletic Director
KEITH GILL (2026) – Sun Belt Commissioner
BARRY COLLIER (2026) – Butler Athletic Director
MARTIN NEWTON (2027) – Samford Athletic Director
TOM WISTRCILL (2027) – Big Sky Commisisoner

Reactions: Mr_Twister
I just do not see any quality wins besides St Louis over Memphis/Providence. VCU beat Pitt but has 2 Q4 losses. Dayton has nothing

The St Louis net at 89 is disastrous

Dayton doesn’t have a chance without an autobid. A loss count of 9 is too high without a quality non-conference win.

VCU has some bad losses, but I still see a possible path for them with potentially 30+ wins and hypothetically wins Pitt (neutral), St Louis, sweep of Dayton. Kennesaw might make the field and be a 14ish seed. And Vandy is another major conference win (albeit not a great one). 30-6 would at least put them in the conversation.

where are you getting 30 wins from...they are 17-6 with 8 games left, then 3 games in conference tourney if they reach the finals..that puts them at 27-7...and guess what...they are not going 8-0 in the rest of the season conference slate

a

bac2rac … Would you speculate who on the list you provided might go to bat on our behalf of our phantom loss at Ohio State? Or do you feel the loss is a loss and it will be a total non-issue at tourney selection and seeding time? Any other similar precedents in previous years?

bac2rac … Would you speculate who on the list you provided might go to bat on our behalf of our phantom loss at Ohio State? Or do you feel the loss is a loss and it will be a total non-issue at tourney selection and seeding time? Any other similar precedents in previous years?

I really dont think its going to be considered all that much. the only way it would is if literally RU is 18-14 and fighting for the last spot but there are so many games that get play and there are disputed calls every night, I know this one was particularly egregious. Losing the game really didnt move the needle on the net because the efficiency from that game was basically the same win or lose. Seeding wise its going to be a non issue

Reactions: rubigtimenow
where are you getting 30 wins from...they are 17-6 with 8 games left, then 3 games in conference tourney if they reach the finals..that puts them at 27-7...and guess what...they are not going 8-0 in the rest of the season conference slate

a

Nevermind - I was looking at Fordham’s schedule when I counted and was factoring in more conference tourney games. Your right - it would be 27-7 if they won out which is highly unlikely. It’s not that easy of a remaining schedule.

I dont think there is a way of seperating them from the rest of the league. Obviously its increasing the overall rank of the conference. Its been 13 and 14 the past two years so up at 9 is a boost
Yeah just something that popped into my head. Never thought of it before. Thanks.

Thanks. Quick question. When you look at the strength of a conference for an FAU as part of figuring out their overall resume, that figure I assume includes what that team does too, so it is a bit circular if that makes sense. I wonder if there is a way to look at the strength/ranking of the conference without a particular team?

Yeah just something that popped into my head. Never thought of it before. Thanks.
In theory you can do it fine. Just remove that team from the average.. assuming you are using the same conference rankings that bracketologists is which is just average NET ranking. Without that CUSA's would be 154.20 which would be.. still 10th. (9th is American at 128.55 and 11th is WAC at 160.85, actual CUSA including FAU is 141.82).

For that to be a fair comparison though then you would need to also remove every other team you're comparing from their conference etc and at that point you might as well just look at the individual SOS.

Reactions: bac2therac
In theory you can do it fine. Just remove that team from the average.. assuming you are using the same conference rankings that bracketologists is which is just average NET ranking. Without that CUSA's would be 154.20 which would be.. still 10th. (9th is American at 128.55 and 11th is WAC at 160.85, actual CUSA including FAU is 141.82).

For that to be a fair comparison though then you would need to also remove every other team you're comparing from their conference etc and at that point you might as well just look at the individual SOS.
Interesting - thought it was more involved than just avg Net. Thanks.

Reactions: fluoxetine
Already three wins vs the 1.8 expected, and Utah State still hasn't tipped off

Utah State hammering New Mexico. The Mountain West is really going for five bids, huh?

No...its not here yet. As you guys know I am just not a fan of early season bracketology. Even in late January its just too early for me. Last year I didnt do this preview thread until 2/7 so even I am falling victim to the disease. I think bracketologists fall in love with certain schools and narratives and with half the conference season left for most. Things can change on a dime. Resumes even of the top 25 schools are woefully incomplete. There are just too many games to play. Seeding is almost pointless at this juncture especially in light of the circumstances in the Big 12 where you have 6 school jockeying for position somewhere between possible one seeds and down to 4. Just going to try and give a rough outline here with respect to the contender for top seeds and my initial analysis will just focus on the contenders reminding everyone there are plenty of games to go which means there are tons of opportunities for some of the schools closer to the last in line to gather and collect quality wins while teams further up may stumble and not add much to their resume. Just a snapshot in time of what things look like today.

68 schools selected, 32 AQs (automatic qualifiers from conferences), 36 at larges

Here are the current AQs at this time...meaning if the field was selected today these teams would represent their conference since they are in first place. Its not a projection. Some do that or use highest NET. This is just who is in first today.

• BIG 12: TEXAS
  • BIG 10: PURDUE
  • SEC: ALABAMA
  • BIG EAST: XAVIER
  • MWC: SAN DIEGO STATE
  • PAC 12: UCLA
  • ACC: CLEMSON
  • WCC: SAINT MARY'S
  • AAC: HOUSTON
  • CUSA: FLORIDA ATLANTIC
  • WAC: UTAH VALLEY
  • A10: SAINT LOUIS
  • IVY: PRINCETON
  • SUN BELT: LOUISIANA
  • MVC: SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
  • BIG WEST: CAL-SANTA BARBARA
  • MAC: KENT STATE
  • A SUN: LIBERTY
  • BIG SKY: EASTERN WASHINGTON
  • SOUTHERN: FURMAN
  • HORIZON: MILWAUKEE
  • MAAC: IONA
  • SUMMIT: ORAL ROBERTS
  • CAA: CHARLESTON
  • BIG SOUTH: UNC-ASHEVILLE
  • A EAST: VERMONT
  • PATRIOT: COLGATE
  • MEAC: MARYLAND-EASTERN SHORE
  • O VALLEY: TENNESSEE-MARTIN
  • SOUTHLAND: SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA
  • SWAC: SOUTHERN
  • NEC: WAGNER

So this year is not a particularly good year for low and mid majors to grab at large bids. Let us look at a few first before getting into the at large schools

FLORIDA ATLANTIC really has the best shot of any of any low major. Currently 19-1 with a stunning NET of 19. CUSA is not a bad conference this season rated 10th so the Owls could sustain as many another regular season losses and still be a viable candidate for an at large with a conference tourney loss. I think probably anything more than 4 losses total and it becomes very tenuous for them. 2-0 in Q1 and 4-1 Q1/2 yet there are no wins over schools projected to make the field. Best win is Florida who is a longshot bubble school. Only loss is Ole Miss a mediocre SEC school. A whopping 15 of 19 wins are from Q3/4 and the overall sos of 243 is poor but even worse the non conference sos of 306. Easily by far mid major darling and helped by the scarcity of competition among those schools

SAINT LOUIS has wins over Providence and Memphis so there is a start. The A10 somehow always finds a way to sneak in more than one. The conference is though down to 12th overall. They will rue the Q4 loss to SIUE at home..wow. Need to avoid tripping up and absorbing a bad loss but its likely their at large chances come down to how they do in 4 game vs their biggest A10 challengers Dayton and VCU...take 3 of them and things start to look promising.

CHARLESTON suffered just its 2nd loss (Hofstra) of the season now 20-2 but its overall NET at 62 a concern. There are wins over distant bubble Va Tech and MAC AQ Kent State and their only other loss was at North Carolina. Hurt by the CAA really freefalling as a conference rated 24. 0-1 vs Q1, 3-0 in Q2 but the other win was just UNC Wilmington. The last 8 are all in Q3 and 4 so they simply have to keep winning. Perhaps can sustain a loss in regular season but would be in better shape to just win out where a tournament loss could be forgiven. Even though the top 25 ranking put them on the radar screen, it will not be a factor in the selection room.

KENT STATE is 15-4 with a NET of 59 but the lack of any Q1 or Q2 wins doom them. They did schedule strong ooc as that number is 66 but lost to Houston, Gonzaga, and Charleston. Their best win was at 145 Ohio. Only a road trip to Akron would qualify current as Q2. I suppose if they can win out and then lose in MAC finals they could be something like 27-5 but this conference no longer has much cache as its ranked 17th this season so this is going to be a tough thread the needle for them. They will be ruing a Q4 loss to Northern Illinois

ORAL ROBERTS have soared to 42 in the NET. Unbeaten in the Summit and now 16-4 overall they have an interesting profile because their non conference sos is 4th in the country. Those 4 losses all in Q1 at Houston, Saint Mary's, New Mexico and Utah State. The latter one is probably one they could have needed. There is a Q2 win over ASun AQ Liberty and that is their best win but there are no losses outside of Q4. Yet 13 of their 16 wins are in Quad 4. They have 7 games left and all are potential landmines. If they can sweep those they could put themselves in serious contention though given the bloat from the major conferences and that OOC SOS will be valued by the committee

LIBERTY is up to 45 but again lacking any big wins. 0-3 in Q1 and just 1-1 in Q2 with that win being Bradley. OOC SOS of 68 with 4 of its losses to NCAA projected schools...Alabama, Northwestern, Oral Roberts, and Southern Mississippi. The Q3 loss to Eastern Kentucky looms large. Just one Q1 opportunity left at Kennesaw State so a whole bunch of landmines. Would likely have to win out heading into the Atlantic Sun tourney

SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI has wins over Liberty and Vandy but unless they run the table in their remaining regular season Sun Belt games its going to be hard to make a case. SOS numbers of 222/208 is going to be a factor here and that is reflected in the NET of just 67 currently.

SAINT MARY'S net rating of 6 seems out of wack given their only quality wins are San Diego State and Oral Roberts. Plus they have 2 Q3 losses to the mediocre Pac 12 Washington schools. 1-2 vs Q1, yes they are 6-0 in Q2 but those are not schools in the running for a NCAA bid so its a bit deceiving. Obviously they are not really in danger of missing out given how great the NET is and they have done very well in the WCC thus far. Still I put them here because I do not have them as top 4 seed yet so no lock and their NET will not match their seed, especially so if they do not win the WCC. Two games with Gonzaga and potential landmines on the road.

CLEMSON is leading the ACC even though eventually that may go to Virginia. Very likely dancing but not a lock yet despite the gaudy 18-4/10-1. I have seen schools with similar starts drop like a rock...see Wake Forest last season. The NET at 60 raises those red flags should they start to accumulate losses in the mediocre ACC,. Have 3 Q1 games and a Q2 upcoming with a bunch of rancid schools in the remaining games that could damage the profile. The Q1/2 marks at 3-2/7-2 looks good...wins over Duke, Pitt, NC State and bubble Wake/Va Tech. Its the Q4 losses to South Carolina and Loyola that are killing the NET and they will only come into play if Clemson stumbles down the stretch.

In addition I see these schools as locks right now....meaning it would take an act of god to miss the tourney.

TENNESSEE, ARIZONA, KANSAS, VIRGINIA, KANSAS STATE, GONZAGA, IOWA STATE, TCU, MARQUETTE, BAYLOR

When trying to get into who are the 1 seeds..PURDUE is clearly at the top. Then you have ALABAMA/TENNESSEE, HOUSTON, UCLA/ARIZONA, KANSAS/TEXAS also vying for those one seeds. Even VIRGINIA could have an outside shot if they can run the table in the ACC. The Big 12 has some others lurking but profile wise seem to be a step behind.

I know they NCAA will put out their top 16 seeds out in about two weeks.

I know I said I would not do it but here is mine currently

1: PURDUE, ALABAMA, HOUSTON, TEXAS
2: TENNESSEE, KANSAS, ARIZONA, UCLA
3: KANSAS STATE, GONZAGA, VIRGINA, IOWA STATE
4: MARQUETTE, BAYLOR, TCU, XAVIER

So I have accounted for 10 of the 36 at larges which puts us at 42 schools in and 26 at large spots remaining up for grabs. I would gander there are probably about 46 competing for these 26 spots. Far too many to go through individually at this juncture.

I list them in some catagories....

LOOKING LIKELY
  • DUKE
  • INDIANA
  • ILLINOIS
  • CONNECTICUT
  • RUTGERS
  • MIAMI
  • PROVIDENCE

Nothing is definite but this group of 7 are a cut below the projected at larges in but also a cut above the schools below them. A case of taking care of business. All of these 6 have built up strong profiles with quality wins and avoiding bad losses. Things can only get hairy if they start to accumulate warts which would throw them further to the cut line

We will turn our attention specifically to RUTGERS because that is who you are all here for.

(22) RUTGERS 14-7: The only school to have beaten Purdue, it is the best win in the country this year. RU is 4-4 in Q1 and 7-6 in Q1/2. 5 wins vs schools I currently project to make the field....Purdue, Indiana, Northwestern, Maryland, Penn State. Best OOC win is just Wake who is still on the bubble currently. OOC schedule is extremely weak as usual checking in at 309 but it probably will not come to that. The loss to Temple is still Q3 but the Owls recent run is easing the blow of that loss. Plus remember RU did have two players out with injuries for that game and also one out for the loss to Miami. The Knights bugaboo of winning on the road has been solved in the first half of the season with the win at Purdue and NCAA projected Northwestern. Add in the stolen game at Ohio State which still counts as a loss and the Knights have to feel good about winning a game or two on the road in its second half of the Big 10 season. And Rutgers will have to. A great start but now its time to finish. Must avoid landmine bad losses to the likes of Minnesota and Nebraska and take care of a school like Michigan at home. Hesitate to put magic numbers this far out and with 12 Big 10 schools competing for NCAA berths. Yet probably 5 more which would include at least another Q1 win would do it for the Scarlet Knights. Winning just 4 and being 18-13 does put them in a somewhat vulnerable spot I will be honest here even with that big win over Purdue. Get to 6 or more and the Knights are considered just about top half seeding. Do they have any shot at a top 4 seed? That one is a longshot. I think at this juncture they are significantly behind those schools as the BE will likely have two slotted above them and then you have all those Big 12 schools. Squeezing in is unlikely unless RU can gather up wins on the road at Indiana and Illinois and maybe finish 21-10/13-7. First order of business is next 4 games....they need to win 2 of these next 4 or they drop out of this list and onto the next tier.

SAFE FOR NOW
  • NORTH CAROLINA
  • MICHIGAN STATE
  • MISSOURI
  • AUBURN
  • CREIGHTON
  • NORTH CAROLINA STATE
  • NORTHWESTERN
  • IOWA
  • NEW MEXICO
  • BOISE STATE
  • MEMPHIS

Exactly what it means...safe for now. These schools all have some nice things going for them. They are not true bubble teams at the moment so they land here. However it will not take much to land them close to the bubble with so many games to play.

BUBBLICIOUS...the last 8 spots
  • USC
  • WEST VIRGINIA
  • MARYLAND
  • PITTSBURGH
  • KENTUCKY
  • WISCONSIN
  • PENN STATE
  • ARKANSAS

I know many bracketologists fell in love with ARKANSAS in early bracketology but the reality is they do not have the resumes one would think their record and top 25 ranking for all but the last few weeks would allude to. ARKANSAS has a net of 28 yet their numbers in Q1/2 are trash. Q1: 1-5, Q2: 2-1...3-6 combine raises eyebrows. Just 2 wins over schools projected in the field...San Diego State and Missouri. A bad loss to LSU and a conference mark of 3-5 which could indicate what is to come. Road trip to 4 of the top schools in league are going to be an issue. This is a school in trouble and I see many early bracketologists are scrambling with them now.

I know WISCONSIN is reeling having dropped 6 of their last 7 and the NET is held back at 74 because of the inefficiency. The most Rutgers profile of 2023 yet without the bad losses. The worst loss by the Badgers was to Wake Forest who is a bubble team. Wisconsin has FIVE wins vs projected tourney teams....at Marquette, at Iowa, USC, Maryland, Penn State. Yes 3 of them are in this final 8 list but point remains. They are 2-6 in Q1 and 6-8 overall in Q1/2. That works for now. Their SOS numbers work...overall 10, non conference 65. The key for them is to just stop the bleeding. I know some may feel that a 9-11 conference mark will not get a team from the Big 10 to the tourney but because of those wins over Marquette and USC, there is a path for the Badgers. Go 5-5 the rest of the slate. Their schedule in the last half is certainly doable. Do not write their obituary yet.

KENTUCKY needs to do more. They have a great win at Tennessee that counts as more than one win but its their only Q1 win as they are 1-6. Their 3-0 Q2 mark does not even have a win over a school projected in the field even showing wins over bubbles Michigan and Texas A&M. That is just one win vs tourney teams and there is a horrific Q4 home loss to South Carolina. Its not the most difficult SEC schedule to come and they get Tennessee at home....alot more landmines than quality win opportunities.

People are sleeping a bit on PENN STATE. The wins at Illinois and home to Indiana/Iowa are good starters. There are no bad losses but losses to distant bubbles Va Tech and Michigan could prove critical. 2-4 in Q1 and 4-7 Q1/2. No bad losses yet a whopping 10 of 14 wins come from Q3/4. There is ample opportunity in the 2nd half of the Big 10 slate to pick up Q1/2 wins vs the likes of Illinois, Rutgers, Northwestern, and Maryland and they have some landmine road games vs Minny/Nebby they need to take care of.

WRONG SIDE OF BUBBLE
  • OKLAHOMA
  • WAKE FOREST
  • TEXAS A&M
  • NEVADA
  • OREGON
  • OHIO STATE
  • ARIZONA STATE
  • MISSISSIPPI STATE
  • OKLAHOMA STATE
  • VIRGINIA TECH
  • SETON HALL
  • MICHIGAN
  • UTAH
  • VIRGINIA COMMONWEALTH
  • FLORIDA
  • UNLV
  • UTAH STATE
  • TEXAS TECH
  • SAINT JOHN'S
  • TEMPLE

OKLAHOMA saved their season with a win over Alabama and in such rousing fashion but they will need take that level of play to Big 12 conference play where they sit at just 2-6 and show just wins over WVU and Texas Tech. OOC the wins vs Florida/SHU are just okay at this point. They will regret losing to Nova. Still almost every night in the Big 12 provides a Q1. 10 games left and the Sooners are going to have to say at least 3 games above 500 because schools just do not get bids 2 games above 500 and the Sooner know that well. That means 5-5 at least down the stretch. Can they pull it off.

Most bracketologists are not even considering WAKE FOREST due to their awful overall net of 72 but the resume is pretty good. Wins over Duke, at Wisconsin, and the only conference loss for Clemson. Another win over distant bubble Va Tech but a Q3 loss to LSU. Unfortunately for Wake they went 0-3 thus far in their gauntlet where they had an opportunity to shore up the resume. Big game tonight on the road at Duke which would land them in most peoples fields. Absent of that still games vs UNC and on the road at NCState/Miami. Its up to them

TEXAS A&M is this years most outrageous bubble school. Here is a school 7-1 and first place in the SEC at 15-6 and 43 in the NET. They have a road win at Auburn and a win over Missouri but that is it. Two wins over tourney teams. They lost their 2 quality ooc games to Boise and Memphis. They were clobbered by almost 30 by less than mediocre Colorado. There is a Q3 loss to Murray State and a stunning Q4 home loss to Wofford. Red flags everywhere yet they stand on top of the SEC. Well their last 10 they certainly will get a chance to prove themselves either way. 2 games with Arkansas, a trip to Missouri and 3 home games vs Auburn, Bama, and Tennessee. Will likely need 3 of these.

If NEVADA wants to be the 4th school from the Mountain West they will have to pick up a couple more quality wins in league. The home wins over Boise and New Mexico are decent enough but they arent enough. I know 6-6 in Q1/2 looks better more on paper than reality. There are not any bad losses but the loss to Loyola Marymount does hurt them somewhat. A lot of landmines yet only two road quad 1 opportunities left and they do get a crack at San Diego State tonight

Look I am going to put TEMPLE here for shits and giggles but considering them for an at large at this point is sheer insanity. Their NET is a non starter at 115 and even if they finished strong its likely not to break into the 80. Two super Q1 wins at Houston and neutral site over Rutgers. The UCF win does as count on the road as a Q1 albeit not resume worthy. Here is the issue...3 losses in Q2...0-3....Ole Miss, St Johns, Memphis..only the latter can be excused. But wait let us delve into Q3 and 4. Temple is a ghastly 11-6...FOUR Q3 losses: Vandy, Tulane, Richmond, Penn. Yeah perhaps not the worse losses in the world but their dreams end because they have 2 Q4 losses.....Maryland Eastern Shore and Wagner. Sorry no go. Lets see them go 8-0 which means beating Houston again and winning at Memphis. If they can get to 22-9/16-2 in league we will once again revisit but this is a case of when pigs fly.

So there it is...just a taste of bracketology in a more informal way and it actually ran a bit longer than I thought. For next week, I am still debating on a possible full bracketology with seeding and in depth analysis of every school or giving things another week to boil. Thoughts and comments and corrections appreciated as always.
Pay this man for his work! Great job as always.

Reactions: bac2therac
It's not really a surprise but the bubble is starting to strengthen/expand. A whopping 4 wins yesterday vs. 1.79 expected as Seton Hall and Florida join the party.

Tonight:

Florida Atlantic (51%) at UAB - This is the most loseable game left on FAU's schedule, but as a borderline Q1/Q2 game a loss might not even matter that much. They're still safely in they lose this, but it's worth monitoring.

Washington State at USC (66%) - Washington State is the only sub-.500 team in the top 75 of KenPom. They've won at Arizona already this year so this is no walk in the park for USC.

Oregon (22%) at Arizona - Oregon is on a couple of brackets at the Matrix so I guess they're technically in the picture already, but this win would really vault them up. At a minimum they need to win one game of their desert swing against Arizona and ASU.

Michigan at Northwestern (68%) - Honestly I'm not even considering Michigan as a bubble team at this point, but this is exactly the sort of road win that would get their journey started. Northwestern really needs to cash this win at home because their next two are on the road and then they have Purdue at home.

Wisconsin (24%) at Ohio State (76%) - Whoever loses this game is screwed. Not going to include it in the expected wins calculation because both are in the bubble. Wisconsin right now is the first team out at the Matrix. In the past two days Nevada, Pittsburgh, and Oklahoma State (all in the same range as Wisconsin) have scored Q1 wins. They need to keep up.

Stanford at Utah (78%) - Utah really needs Q1 or Q2 wins as they're just 4-7 in those quadrants. Unfortunately Stanford is a Q3 game, so a win here doesn't help but a loss is a killer.

Oregon State at Arizona State (86%) - Q4 game for the Sun Devils here. Can't lose it.

Charleston (67%) at Drexel - I don't think Charleston's at-large resume can survive another regular season loss (because by definition we're factoring in a conference tournament loss as well). This is by no means a gimme.

Expected wins for bubble teams: 4.38 in 7 games (plus the guaranteed bubble winner in Wisconsin vs. Ohio State)

Seton Hall is going to be very interesting.
They have the two big wins against us and UConn.
They have very winnable games against GT, DePaul and two with Nova.
But a rematch with UConn, Xavier, Creighton and end at Providence.
Wonder if it will come down to the BE tourney for them. They are certainly capable.
Another bad loss for St. John’s. Wonder if their coach is in trouble? Would St.John’s go Pitino hunting?

Reactions: cicero grimes
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT