ADVERTISEMENT

2/6: BACATOLOGY SMORGASBOARD*****RU now a 6 seed as of 2/8

it is why Syracuse even at 15-10 has zero shot as an at large
5 years ago 10-3 in the ACC would have you in the one seed convo. Now you’re squarely on the bubble (Clemson and Pitt). Lol

And while I doubt it would happen but if Cuse beat NC State and Duke back to back at home next week they would be in the ACC mix as much as the rest of the morass.

I think it's hard to blame conference expansion for programs getting worse after joining. I think it's just the natural ebb and flow. The Big 12 isn't going to be dominant forever. The Big 10 was kind of weak and then super good and now very good but a distant second.
ACC got weaker in hoops because the B1G cut off the recruiting from DC to NYC. The I-95 corridor was where schools like Cuse, Pitt, etc., lived off of for years. The emergence of Rutgers as a quality hoops program in addition to the B1G controlling the I-95 corridor from DC to NYC crippled the ACC's recruiting.

ACC got weaker in hoops because the B1G cut off the recruiting from DC to NYC. The I-95 corridor was where schools like Cuse, Pitt, etc., lived off of for years. The emergence of Rutgers as a quality hoops program in addition to the B1G controlling the I-95 corridor from DC to NYC crippled the ACC's recruiting.
You just wonder why it took everyone so long to see it, even Delaney for all his vision. Rutgers fans knew. Maryland knew.

And didn’t Coach K say ACC should have taken Rutgers but the FSU’s and football schools said no way? Wonder who the no’s were. Wonder if kicking selves now.

You just wonder why it took everyone so long to see it, even Delaney for all his vision. Rutgers fans knew. Maryland knew.

And didn’t Coach K say ACC should have taken Rutgers but the FSU’s and football schools said no way? Wonder who the no’s were. Wonder if kicking selves now.
Lol bet the ACC is having buyer's remorse over Louisville and their nonstop scandals and wish they took UConn instead. Oh well, what's done is done.

And while I doubt it would happen but if Cuse beat NC State and Duke back to back at home next week they would be in the ACC mix as much as the rest of the morass.
They really wouldn't. You're kinda lost on this stuff.

Reactions: fluoxetine
They really wouldn't. You're kinda lost on this stuff.
We shall see. Every year I’m told the same and every year have been correct whether it’s the late addition of A10,AAC, Pac 12 or MWC.

Last year Bracketogists repeatedly said ACC was trash. UNC Duke ND proved otherwise. Year before heard same about PAC 12. Play in team Pac 12 UCLa made it to Final Four.

You guys do a really nice job but I’d be kinda careful of statements like, I’m a genius and “You’re kind lost on this stuff.” Could just be a crappy typist or technologically challenged.

Last edited:
We shall see. Every year I’m told the same and every year have been correct whether it’s the late addition of A10,AAC, Pac 12 or MWC.
Syracuse's best win might be a 1 point road victory at Notre Dame.

They've lost to Bryant and Colgate at home.

A low-end Q1 win vs Duke and a Q2 win against NC State aren't getting them anywhere near the bubble.

But yes, "we shall see"

Reactions: shields
Re: cuse, when you say "they would be in the ACC mix as much as the rest of the morass" are you talking about ACC standings or tournament picture? They just have basically no chance of making the tournament barring absurd win-out and lose in conference championship type scenarios. They have a better chance of winning the ACC tournament (still very little) than doing that.

No they didn't.
If you count bac as a bracketoligist yes they did, but so did I and we were right!

Those 3 teams he mentioned all went AT LEAST 15-5 in said trash conference. They beat up on their minnow conference mates.

Yes they also performed well when it counted but none of them won it all and even so, 3 teams being good out of 15 does not make a good conference…

If you count bac as a bracketoligist yes they did, but so did I and we were right!

Those 3 teams he mentioned all went AT LEAST 15-5 in said trash conference. They beat up on their minnow conference mates.

Yes they also performed well when it counted but none of them won it all and even so, 3 teams being good out of 15 does not make a good conference…
Right, so they didn’t prove that the conference wasn’t trash.

Last year's ACC wasn't trash because Notre Dame won their first game in 2OT, Miami won their first round game by two points, and North Carolina won their second round game in OT.

in the regular season the confernece was trash. Va Tech wasnt getting in until a ridiculous ACC title run. UNC was on the bubble until getting hot starting with the Duke win. Notre Dame was last team in material and had like 2 major wins. Miami was a good team but lets be honest, they got in the tourney. Of course Duke and UNC were excellent. They got 5 bids out of 15 and it was going to be 4 if Va Tech didnt win the acc tourney

Conference in the end was a lot better than most believed. Cuse with a win over Duke and NC State would have wins against very teams they are competing against. End of season games against Wake, Clemson and Pitt become very interesting to say the least. It’s not like year after year we’ve havent seen Cuse get hot and over achieve. Oh wait we have.

in the regular season the confernece was trash. Va Tech wasnt getting in until a ridiculous ACC title run. UNC was on the bubble until getting hot starting with the Duke win. Notre Dame was last team in material and had like 2 major wins. Miami was a good team but lets be honest, they got in the tourney. Of course Duke and UNC were excellent. They got 5 bids out of 15 and it was going to be 4 if Va Tech didnt win the acc tourney
Besides that Mrs. Lincoln how was the play? UNC made it to finals? Duke Final Four? Miami three wins, ND two wins.
Conference far better than all realized. Not only did they get in they dominated.

Conference in the end was a lot better than most believed. Cuse with a win over Duke and NC State would have wins against very teams they are competing against. End of season games against Wake, Clemson and Pitt become very interesting to say the least. It’s not like year after year we’ve havent seen Cuse get hot and over achieve. Oh wait we have.
Agreed, if any team goes on an undefeated run between now and end of season they might make the bubble.

Saint Peter's made the Elite 8. That doesn't make whatever conference it is they play in a good conference. Virtually all but the worst dregs can get hot and beat you.

Agreed, if any team goes on an undefeated run between now and end of season they might make the bubble.
Lol! True. Cuse wins 3 out of 4 of Duke, NC State, Clemson and Pitt and season ending home game v Wake becomes mighty interesting and join bubble conversation. Many of their conference games so very close. 2 point loss to Pitt. 4 point loss to Miami. 4 point loss to UNC. While I won’t bet on them I would never say no way especially with their history and they are still 15-10. Looks like only play Duke once this year.

If syracuse finishes the regular season at 20-11 (13-7) they might just barely sneak into the "12 teams on the wrong side of the bubble" list. They'd still be well below the line.

Reactions: bac2therac
If syracuse finishes the regular season at 20-11 (13-7) they might just barely sneak into the "12 teams on the wrong side of the bubble" list. They'd still be well below the line.
In all seriousness I was actually shocked looking at their schedule/results earlier. Worse than I realized. I hope Boeheim never leaves.

Reactions: cicero grimes
I think it's hard to blame conference expansion for programs getting worse after joining. I think it's just the natural ebb and flow. The Big 12 isn't going to be dominant forever. The Big 10 was kind of weak and then super good and now very good but a distant second.
Yeah I didn't do that. But the timing of those programs sliding down from their norms is part of the ACC problems. But it's also a bit of a zero sum game IMO. With the bigger 14, 16 team leagues, there will be a number of bottom feeders. And that's where the B12 has succeeded, typically they've only had 1 or maybe 2 bad teams each season. This year they really don't have any.

Last year Bracketogists repeatedly said ACC was trash. UNC Duke ND proved otherwise. Year before heard same about PAC 12. Play in team Pac 12 UCLa made it to Final Four.

You guys do a really nice job but I’d be kinda careful of statements like, I’m a genius and “You’re kind lost on this stuff.” Could just be a crappy typist or technologically challenged.
1 team or a couple teams being good doesn't mean the conference doesn't suck. It's a P5 conference. Of course there should be a few at the care minimum. If like 10 teams in the conference aren't good. It's not a good conference

Virginia and Miami are good teams just because if they do good does not mean the ACC was a good conference this year. Just means they had two good teams.
Yup

Saint Peter's made the Elite 8. That doesn't make whatever conference it is they play in a good conference. Virtually all but the worst dregs can get hot and beat you.
Exactly. St Peter's conference must have been amazing or else they wouldn't have gotten to the elite 8!

Oregon picks up a Q2 win, USC a Q1 loss. Ducks have only one game of consequence left tomorrow against UCLA. After that they're trying to hold on and rooting for losses around them. USC still in but maybe a spot or two closer to the cut line.

LMU knocks off St Mary's and is .500 in the first two quadrants but four Q3 losses is too many for a viable case. If they can get the sweep of Gonzaga we might need to talk but probably still short. They do have wins over Wake Forest and Nevada as well. St Mary's still on the 5 line but now it's tougher for them to climb.

Arizona State who was next up on my list came back to win at Stanford. They remain alive and finish the year with two Q2 home games and then three Q1 road games. They still have time to play their way back.

Big result for RU seeding implications with that St Marys loss...should they take on another loss at Gonzaga at the end of the regular season or in the conference tourney, its going to bounce them from that 4-5 seed line contention

For seeding implications going forward as RU fans you want UConn, Marquette, TCU Miami, Duke, St Marys, Illinois, Indiana to lose as much as possible

Big result for RU seeding implications with that St Marys loss...should they take on another loss at Gonzaga at the end of the regular season or in the conference tourney, its going to bounce them from that 4-5 seed line contention

For seeding implications going forward as RU fans you want UConn, Marquette, TCU Miami, Duke, St Marys, Illinois, Indiana to lose as much as possible
Let’s get this started with Illinois!

Oregon picks up a Q2 win, USC a Q1 loss. Ducks have only one game of consequence left tomorrow against UCLA. After that they're trying to hold on and rooting for losses around them. USC still in but maybe a spot or two closer to the cut line.

LMU knocks off St Mary's and is .500 in the first two quadrants but four Q3 losses is too many for a viable case. If they can get the sweep of Gonzaga we might need to talk but probably still short. They do have wins over Wake Forest and Nevada as well. St Mary's still on the 5 line but now it's tougher for them to climb.

Arizona State who was next up on my list came back to win at Stanford. They remain alive and finish the year with two Q2 home games and then three Q1 road games. They still have time to play their way back.
Every year find the western schools fascinating for the brackets. This year no different. MWC could place 5 teams in and in disagreement with BAC, I seriously doubt they put two MWC schools in play in games. Pac 12 has only two for sure, Zona and UCLA, ironically each could win it all and then three right on the bubble, USC, Arizona State and Oregon. CBS would love those tv audiences. LMU is now in the mix. A NET nightmare. Numbers are bad but I don’t know how you ignore a team that has beaten Wake, Nevada, Gonzaga and now St. Mary’s. Those are some nice wins. Sure bracketologists will scream the NET, the NET, but like RU last year, it kinda shows the NET isn’t as good a system as it should be. Should be more rewarded for great wins than penalized for bad losses.

The Oregon win over USC was really really big for them. They have a win over Arizona which counts as at least two and also a win over Nevada. Now up to 15-10 and the sos numbers are pretty good here at 21/36. They now are 8-8 in Q1/2. The two Q3 losses are still to 2 top 100 schools...WAC AQ Utah Valley and 2nd place in Big Sky UC Irvine.

This is a profile that many including myself have been sleeping on. Arguably one can make the case their profile is actually better than USC's right now. They both have mega wins as USC beat UCLA. USC's other big win was Auburn. Oregon has played a tougher ooc schedule than USC as well. Its close, difference is in the record right now. Going to leave USC but also vault Oregon way up and bounce UNC out for now

FIRST FOUR BYES: OKLAHOMA STATE, NEW MEXICO, WISCONSIN, USC
LAST FOUR IN: OREGON, BOISE STATE, CLEMSON, KENTUCKY
FIRST FOUR OUT: NORTH CAROLINA, MISSISSIPPI STATE, MEMPHIS, TEXAS A&M
NEXT FOUR OUT: SETON HALL, WAKE FOREST, FLORIDA, VIRGINIA TECH

Every year find the western schools fascinating for the brackets. This year no different. MWC could place 5 teams in and in disagreement with BAC, I seriously doubt they put two MWC schools in play in games. Pac 12 has only two for sure, Zona and UCLA, ironically each could win it all and then three right on the bubble, USC, Arizona State and Oregon. CBS would love those tv audiences. LMU is now in the mix. A NET nightmare. Numbers are bad but I don’t know how you ignore a team that has beaten Wake, Nevada, Gonzaga and now St. Mary’s. Those are some nice wins. Sure bracketologists will scream the NET, the NET, but like RU last year, it kinda shows the NET isn’t as good a system as it should be. Should be more rewarded for great wins than penalized for bad losses.

Loyola Marymount not even considered. They have 4 Q3 losses including awful league losses to Pacific and San Diego and a home loss to UC Riverside, their loss at Colorado State who is terrible this year is barely hanging in Q2, its a bad loss. This league will not get a 10 plus loss school as an at large

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT