Aggs

All Conference
Jan 19, 2013
Two of the biggest games on today's schedule:

A-10:
Dayton at No. 22 VCU

MVC:
No. 10 Northern Iowa at No. 11 Wichita State

There's really nothing like it in college football. Selling the B1G conference matters little when you consider four teams from "mid majors" are playing in the middle of Saturday afternoon on ESPN and ESPN2.

Conference affiliation was supposed to be the magic potion when Rutgers joined the Big East.How did that work out?The inability to recruit top tier players from the NJ/NY Metro area has been ongoing regardless of the head coach .The RAC is outdated and there is the obvious need for a practice facility.The mens team is now on a losing streak that likely continues into next season.Jordan for next season faces a impossible task in recruiting and trying to have a winning season because he has nothing to sell.Joining the B1G has as much relevance as the Big East.The only thing that does change is the number of years without one NCAA bid.

VCU, Butler, Davidson, Xavier, Creighton, George Mason are schools that were promoted based on on-court success.

Not us.

I wouldn't say that because only some of them get that exposure and it's still not as good as even we, lousy team that we are, probably get. Just about every single game of ours is on tv through the BTN or the ESPN family. Only the BE teams probably have that kind of exposure through Fox but even then FS1 isn't as widely known as ESPN's networks. They do get broadcast channel games so that is definitely something. But the other conferences, they don't get that exposure and the teams that get some are the high caliber teams like the ones you mention. I think the big conference matters still but maybe not as much as the old days.

I wouldn't say there has been nothing like it in college football. These are basically the Boise States/TCUs of MBB. TCU got "promoted" too because of their performance. Boise State sort of was and then went back because the BE fell apart. Obviously, you won't see as many of these cinderella stories though.

In the end though the big conference matters because it's eventually going to give us resources to try and improve. It'll give use better resources to build facilities and hire/retain coaches in the future. People say we shouldn't be in the B10 if we're not going to spend to improve but I don't see that. We haven't even received a dime of B10 money yet and it's basically going to be stagnant for the first few years before we see some jumps and then finally get the full share. If we're in the B10 a decade from now and haven't spent more on coaches and facilities then I'll say we're just "stealing" money. Right now we haven't seen a dime to be stealing a thing.

Don't think it's fair to say that conference affiliation doesn't mstter. It matters less in basketball than it does in football, but you also need to remember that there are 350 D1 teams in basketball vs 130 in football. If you look at the bubble this year though, for example, there are very few mid-major teams and lots of power conference teams. It's not always like that, but the level of competition and RPI certainly skews one way.

unfortunately I'd rather watch VCU than Rutgers too.

(that double OT game the other night against Richmond was amazing)

Personally I find myself still more interested in watching the Eastern Teams than the B1G teams. The Big East and A 10..

Conference affiliation means nothing when you're the worst team in the conference. VCU, Dayton, Northern Iowa, and Wichita State actually win games.

This post was edited on 3/2 12:00 AM by LotusAggressor

Almost every game Rutgers has played this year has been on tv. If weren't in the B1G, we would never be seen.

Every school gets on TV - it's not like the old days. CBSSports Network shows A-10 games.

I'd say TV only comes into play when you're battling out the lower mid majors.

But all you need is an ESPN3 subscription to watch almost any college basketball game.

The money thing is overblown. Mismanagement is the biggest problem. Fired a decent coach in Waters and hire
Fred Hill Jr.?

He had no business being a head coach at this level. I mean just look at him and listen to him talk. He is a mental midget. And funny looking too. Not a good combination.

Then Mike Rice a mental case.

And now this guy can't recruit or coach.

The AD is a mess. Paying the women's coach a million a year? Very few people care about women's basketball. It's a waste of money. Move 75 percent of that over to the men's BB coaching salary and hire a better coach.

Rutgers is dysfunctional and poorly run.

Stupid people win the lottery alll the time and are broke in a few years. Rutgers is stupid.

football drives the bus. The money will flow in via Big 10 payouts but to flow to lower revenue sports will take time. Teams like VCU only invest in hoops. We invest in football, hoops, and a host of other sports.

Also, some of these other teams are in less populated areas where they are the only attraction in town. This helps in getting public funding for an arena. VCU and Wichita St aren't competing with the Nets, Knicks, Devils, and Rangers to get fans to games.

There are approximately 9 million people in NJ which is more than enough to provide fan bases for the NBA ,NHL and college teams.The problem is that there is very little interest in college basketball in NJ .

Originally posted by Dr. Potato:
The money thing is overblown. Mismanagement is the biggest problem. Fired a decent coach in Waters and hire
Fred Hill Jr.?

He had no business being a head coach at this level. I mean just look at him and listen to him talk. He is a mental midget. And funny looking too. Not a good combination.

Then Mike Rice a mental case.

And now this guy can't recruit or coach.

The AD is a mess. Paying the women's coach a million a year? Very few people care about women's basketball. It's a waste of money. Move 75 percent of that over to the men's BB coaching salary and hire a better coach.

Rutgers is dysfunctional and poorly run.

Stupid people win the lottery alll the time and are broke in a few years. Rutgers is stupid.
Then go root for another school and post elsewhere. You'll be much happier.

Originally posted by RU-JMM78:

There are approximately 9 million people in NJ which is more than enough to provide fan bases for the NBA ,NHL and college teams.The problem is that there is very little interest in college basketball in NJ .
Probably because we're not winning and have not won in a long time. College Basketball in our area is no different than College Football. Win and you'll draw interest.

Good idea. It's impossible "root" for a team that loses every game by 30 points. It's more like watching a funeral every night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT