ADVERTISEMENT

BACATOLOGY: 2/27 NCAA TOURNAMENT ANALYSIS... 3/1 Update***Rutgers projected 8 seed***

Good wins always trump bad losses
They should be equal.

If I were NCAA president for a day it would be simple.

Take the expected win percentage of the 42nd best team against the opponent.

If you win you get + (1 minus expected win percentage)
If you lose you get - expected win percentage.

If RU beats Purdue they get +.9 points
If RU loses at Purdue they get -.1 points

If Ru beats Temple they get .25 points
If Ru beats Temple they get -.75 points

1-1 is .15 points either way
2-0 is 1.15 points either way
0-2 is -.85 points either way

Your schedule should be very important and total wins and total losses should be very important.

How did you do with the schedule you created? Not who did you beat!

I value wins against tougher competition more than losing to top opponents while beating average ones. Show me you are capable of beating a top 20-30 team, not just avoid losses to teams in the 80-150 range. It's one reason I was skeptcial of WVU's bid chances before the win last night. Sure, they have a lot of Q1 games using the current system, but they were 4-12 in those games. Ehh... as has been said here, at some point you need to book some wins, too. Duke is another one, only 2-7 in Q1.

Back to Rutgers - as long as we win at Minnesota, I feel we are a LOCK. Beat NW and make the B1G semis and I think we can make a run at a #6 or #7 seed. Lose to NW and the first B1G game, I don't know if we fall below the 9 seed.

And I will take the "dreaded" 8/9 game ALL DAY over a return to Dayton.

The Committee values top wins against their top seeds to show you can play with and win to get to the Sweet 16 . Our 4 ranked wins in a row last year brought us into the tourney , as a team that could get there , plus very slightly finishing 4th in conference . Our losing to Lafayette plus other Quad 3 losses plus the first round loss in BIG 10 tourney in a blowout to Iowa got us moved from last 10 or an 11 seed not in Dayton to the First Four against Notre dame. I never thought we would be in Dayton when the regular season ended. Think we got a little screwed.

Last edited:
The Committee values top wins against their top seeds to show you can okay with and win to get to the Sweet 16 . Our 4 ranked wins in a row last year brought us into the tourney , as a team that could get there , plus very slightly finishing 4th in conference . Our losing to Lafayette plus other Quad 3 losses plus the first round loss in BIG 10 tourney in a blowout to Iowa got us moved from last 10 or an 11 seed not in Dayton to the First Four against Notre dame. I never thought we would be in Dayton when the regular season ended. Think we got a little screwed.

Thats why Illinois will get get a good seed unless they falter badly down the stretch

Reactions: Booty Maximus
The Committee values top wins against their top seeds to show you can okay with and win to get to the Sweet 16 . Our 4 ranked wins in a row last year brought us into the tourney , as a team that could get there , plus very slightly finishing 4th in conference . Our losing to Lafayette plus other Quad 3 losses plus the first round loss in BIG 10 tourney in a blowout to Iowa got us moved from last 10 or an 11 seed not in Dayton to the First Four against Notre dame. I never thought we would be in Dayton when the regular season ended. Think we got a little screwed.
It was ridiculous especially when Iowa won the tournament. Why they chose to punish RU was uncalled for.

The Committee values top wins against their top seeds to show you can play with and win to get to the Sweet 16 . Our 4 ranked wins in a row last year brought us into the tourney , as a team that could get there , plus very slightly finishing 4th in conference . Our losing to Lafayette plus other Quad 3 losses plus the first round loss in BIG 10 tourney in a blowout to Iowa got us moved from last 10 or an 11 seed not in Dayton to the First Four against Notre dame. I never thought we would be in Dayton when the regular season ended. Think we got a little screwed.
Not by the committee. Virginia Tech and Richmond won their conference tournaments and created two more autobids than there would have been. Without those we would've been seeded higher. That's why being Last 4 In is always dicey.

Clemson down 12 at Virginia. NC State down 12 at Duke. Hope everyone used pencil writing the Wolfpack in.

• Love
Reactions: bac2therac
Wake Forest unfortunately not helping us out, losing at home to Boston College. Could've used them climbing 7 spots in the NET to get to Q2.

Saw them against Cuse and they looked so good. Nice win against State. Maybe Duke wins ACC? Think they could beat Miami or Pitt. Might be too little too late.

Aaah! Thanks all!!

Just looked it up on the Inter-web. Lol.

Queens Royals from Charlotte….

They have to play ODU!!!

Duke-NC State is over.

NC State’s resume is vomit-worthy. Similar to last 4 in USC.

They’re lucky Dayton and Vandy turned out to be decent giving them some OK non-conference wins.

Reactions: bac2therac
This is what puzzles me. NC St will now be 2-6 or so in Q1. And one of those was VT and two wins versus the field. if we lost out, we’d still have 6-7 wins v the field and 6 Q1. Explain why nc state would make it over us - assuming they maybe beat another q2 team and lose again in a q1.

Wake Forest came all the way back to tie it but Boston College got this at the end to win it.

This is what puzzles me. NC St will now be 2-6 or so in Q1. And one of those was VT and two wins versus the field. if we lost out, we’d still have 6-7 wins v the field and 6 Q1. Explain why nc state would make it over us - assuming they maybe beat another q2 team and lose again in a q1.

well dont assume they would make it...they are in a bit of trouble. Probably need one acc tourney win to avoid that.

I suppose after getting to 23-7 its time to start mentioning VCU as an at large possibility if they do not win the A10 tourney. I realize there is nothing on this resume at all but....

They did beat Pitt and have two possible wins over AQs in Kennesaw State and Howard

Queens dude just pulled from the logo to cut it to 1 with 3.7 seconds left and a timeout. ESPN+.

I suppose after getting to 23-7 its time to start mentioning VCU as an at large possibility if they do not win the A10 tourney. I realize there is nothing on this resume at all but....

They did beat Pitt and have two possible wins over AQs in Kennesaw State and Howard
I thought about them today too. Zero Q1 wins and two Q4 losses is so ugly though.

Kennesaw State choked hard but survives. They missed both free throws but Queens couldn't get a good look at a buzzer beater. KSU is a significant underdog to #2 seed Liberty to earn the autobid for that league.

Duke-NC State is over.

NC State’s resume is vomit-worthy. Similar to last 4 in USC.

They’re lucky Dayton and Vandy turned out to be decent giving them some OK non-conference wins.

the only difference is NC State has a clean resume...no loss outside of Q2, although losing to Syracuse isnt good.

But yeah actually one can say ASU and USC have better wins. Would have to think UNC could be the one taking their spot

Reactions: RU23
not sure they are going to move up all that much, id rather not have them think they are going to gain momentum and make a run

guess you can look at it two ways but i cant root for them right now

Reactions: RUfanSinceAnderson
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT