ADVERTISEMENT

BACATOLOGY: NCAA TOURNAMENT ANALYSIS 2/21

Terps are good for nothing, we’ll have to beat Indiana ourselves.

Temple up on Memphis early, I’ll prob watch that 2nd half and then Oregon-UCLA.
Terps only down 3 at the half. Still anyone's game

In this scenerio we likely beat 2 seed in the quarters..monster win over Ill or Wisky
Wins aren’t the problem. We’re already in good shape with that. I just feel like we need for the losses not to stand out. At 14 they do - very few teams usually get in at that count. The ones that do typically have top 10 caliber SOS.

Indiana and Memphis pulling away against inferior opposition.

Fatts Russell reminds me of Myles Mack. Boy can light it up.

Indiana and Memphis pulling away against inferior opposition.

Fatts Russell reminds me of Myles Mack. Boy can light it up.
Yup. I said in a post I would LOVE to have someone like him, it’s what we need… I was shot down

Wins aren’t the problem. We’re already in good shape with that. I just feel like we need for the losses not to stand out. At 14 they do - very few teams usually get in at that count. The ones that do typically have top 10 caliber SOS.

we are getting if we have 3 wins over Wisconsin

well Indiana and Memphis win...doesnt move them up really as these were not quality wins, it was about them hurt their resume

Talk about some weird scores. Wagner # 1 in the NEC with a 19-4 record loses in OT to FDU who is having their worst year in forever at 4-20 . Hofstra , 3rd in the Colonial with a 19-9 record and 11-1 at home loses by 26 at home to Elon who was 8-21 and 1-11 on the road before their win tonight. The February grind affects every team.

Reactions: Scangg
I've got to imagine Belmont's at large case is done. I don't think they can lose again (even to Murray State in the conference tournament) and make it.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
Murray St whipping Belmont 35-17 and Gonzaga up 52-42 over San Fran at half
SF is the type of team I’m thinking of that could get in ahead of us if we end with 14 losses (no matter who we beat). At 25-9 their gaudy computer numbers would be tempting next to our loss total. It feels pretty important to keep that to 13 a number where far more teams have gotten in historically.

I've got to imagine Belmont's at large case is done. I don't think they can lose again (even to Murray State in the conference tournament) and make it.

agree....that would mean 7 losses and note they already lost to Murray St by 20, lost to LSU by 30. Just because they have wins over StLouis, Iona and Chattanooga shouldnt put them in the tournament. Somehow their non conference sos is 20..whatever

SF is the type of team I’m thinking of that could get in ahead of us if we end with 14 losses (no matter who we beat). At 25-9 their gaudy computer numbers would be tempting next to our loss total. It feels pretty important to keep that to 13 a number where far more teams have gotten in historically.

Ive sort of been resigned to 3 going from the WCC...right now I have 4 but BYU likely will not get a bid since they figure to be matched up with Gonzaga in the WCC semis

Ive sort of been resigned to 3 going from the WCC...right now I have 4 but BYU likely will not get a bid since they figure to be matched up with Gonzaga in the WCC semis
There seem to be good number of teams like this floating out there this year. A bunch in the MWC, SMU, etc. If these types are selected ahead of us, it’s going to be about the loss count compared to their records and computer numbers, not the wins.

There seem to be good number of teams like this floating out there this year. A bunch in the MWC, SMU, etc. If these types are selected ahead of us, it’s going to be about the loss count compared to their records and computer numbers, not the wins.
Rutgers has multiple red flags so its up to the mercy of the committe if we are 18-14....19-14 we are going, thats possibly 9 wins vs the field, we will go everytime

I’ve seen them play a few times and USF does not belong at all.

In 2020-21 the "Conference of Champions" were NCAA champs in the following sports:
Mens Gymnastics, Mens Indoor Track, Mens Water Polo, Women's Basketball, Women's Beach Volleyball,
Women's Outdoor Track, Women's Water Polo and Co-ed Skiing.
Not exactly attention grabbers.

Oregon looks they like will get a 2nd win over UCLA

See if its enough to put them in overnight but they probably need to also beat USC..its close

Reactions: 60au9
There is only 13 teams with 6 Q1 wins or more.
Kansas, Baylor 10-4, Iowa St 8-7, Gonzaga 8-2
Alabama, Marquette 7-7,
Texas Tech, Villanova 7-6, Kentucky 7-5,
Purdue, Auburn, Wisconsin 7-3, Providence 6-2
Rutgers is one of 11 teams at 5 Q1s(5-4)
and 8 with 4 Q1s wins.

How are we left out with 1 more Q1 win whether Wisconsin or @Indiana? with PSU.

Last edited:
There is only 13 teams with 6 Q1 wins or more.
Kansas, Baylor 10-4, Iowa St 8-7, Gonzaga 8-2
Alabama, Marquette 7-7,
Texas Tech, Villanova 7-6, Kentucky 7-5,
Purdue, Auburn, Wisconsin 7-3, Providence 6-2
Rutgers is one of 11 teams at 5 Q1s(5-4)
and 8 with 4 Q1s wins.
How are we left out with 1 more Q1 win whether Wisconsin or @Indiana?
Because we’re also the only bubble team to have 3 quad 3/4 losses.

Reactions: biker7766 and 60au9
2/22 update:

48 brackets updated today. Of which we're in the dance in 71%. Interestingly even though that's an increase from yesterday, we're either an 11 or 12 seed in almost all of them (down slightly from an average 11 seed yesterday).

I think this is reflective of the weak bubble... People are starting to put us in just because the other bubble teams keep losing.
2/24 update which reflects our loss to Michigan but not the games last night...

Of the 47 brackets updated yesterday, only 45% have us in, almost all as a 12 seed.

That said some of the better bracketologists (Lunardi, Bracket Dave) still have us as a "last 4 bye" team.

Think it's pretty clear we need to win tomorrow.

Reactions: biker7766
Also the only game of note tonight from a bubble perspective is San Diego State, who are home to San Jose State. No way they lose that though, San Jose is horrendous, I think the spread is about 21 pts

Because we’re also the only bubble team to have 3 quad 3/4 losses.
Miami(20-8)has 3 Q3 losses, they are safely in the field SOR 34.
2 buzzer beater losses in games 5 and 6 against bad teams won't prevent us from making the field with a Q1 6-5 Q2 3-4 and finishing 9-9 Q1/2. Baylor(19-13) made it as a 9 or 10 with 1 Q3 and 2 Q4 losses in 2018-19. Q1 4-9 Q2 8-1, 12-10

Miami(20-8)has 3 Q3 losses, they are safely in the field SOR 34.
2 buzzer beater losses in games 5 and 6 against bad teams won't prevent us from making the field with a Q1 6-5 Q2 3-4 and finishing 9-9 Q1/2. Baylor(19-13) made it as a 9 or 10 with 1 Q3 and 2 Q4 losses in 2018-19. Q1 4-9 Q2 8-1, 12-10
I think with 14 losses overall it could. Very few 14 loss teams are typically selected.

Reactions: 60au9
I think with 14 losses overall it could. Very few 14 loss teams are typically selected.
Decided to look it up - in 2011 FIVE teams with 14 losses got an at-large bid (super bizarre)…and it hasn’t happened since.

Before that it happened in 2008, and before that 2001.

Decided to look it up - in 2011 FIVE teams with 14 losses got an at-large bid (super bizarre)…and it hasn’t happened since.

Before that it happened in 2008, and before that 2001.
I believe it’s 16 total 14+ loss at large teams (since 1985). Granted a larger percentage of them have been since the field expanded to 68 but still. Total losses is an important deciding metric and there is a huge difference between 13 and 14.

Ohio St(19-14), Florida (19-15) in 2018-19.
NCAA knows the NET isn't placing teams the way they are supposed to like in 2018-19, don't rely on what the NET is telling us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT