ADVERTISEMENT

Committee Chair on Mad Dog Radio-best answer on why no RU

MCKnight2004

Senior
Oct 25, 2012
First Question asked by Mad Dog and Steve Torre was Why Rutgers was not included…it was a very direct answer, that should be printed and pasted on the Coaching staffs office door! Scheduling matters a lot, winning big games in non conference matters most.

”Their Non-Conference schedule, and non-conference wins. The committee looked hard at that. They were trying to find something they could grab on to. But for non-conference, as it related to success, it was lacking”

he continued regarding Mag injury,

’” From Feb 7th on, in several games we had the chance to observe them, and how they looked down the stretch, they had a difficult time. The combination of the two, is why they were left out”

Hate to say it but we all knew at some point the piss poor OOC scheduling would come back to haunt us.
Pike is like Schiano when it comes to OOC scheduling - very risk averse.
This issue has been discussed many times - even last year by bracketologists etc.
Need to schedule a solid ooc schedule and hopefully win some of these games.

First Question asked by Mad Dog and Steve Torre was Why Rutgers was not included…it was a very direct answer, that should be printed and pasted on the Coaching staffs office door! Scheduling matters a lot, winning big games in non conference matters most.

”Their Non-Conference schedule, and non-conference wins. The committee looked hard at that. They were trying to find something they could grab on to. But for non-conference, as it related to success, it was lacking”

’” From Feb 7th on, in several games we had the chance to observe them, and how they looked down the stretch, they had a difficult time. The combination of the two, is why they were left out”
The schedule thing is the key. That is in your control. Every committee member I have known over the years has said that. It garners kudos from the committee.

they should have asked him who nevada or utah state beat non conference

The schedule thing is the key. That is in your control. Every committee member I have known over the years has said that. It garners kudos from the committee.

Thank you

People arguing here it doesn't matter..i think someone the schools out west have better pools of schools to choose
From. Northeast hoops is a sorry lot

I keep saying

Its not always one thing but every year Rutgers is bringing. NOTHING to the table in ooc play

I realize some other schools got in not having much ooc but rutgers was checking a coule of red flags this year.
Bottom line is you gotta win those games. I think I can get behind scheduling up on the 3-4 decent games. Switch those for higher tier games.

the problem is they value playing a tougher schedule but they then still pick teams that don’t win any of their tougher non conference like nevada and utah state. those teams also don’t play our schedule in conference so don’t have anywhere close to our wins

Well they did a shitty fing job and they just explained their intellectually lazy reasoning. RU is better than probably half the field.
Obvious message to schedule better however. The problem is they are not consistent. He’s not wrong but it’s just deflecting bullshit. They make up their mind and then they justify it. It’s like everything else unfortunately.

But here is my thing …

Why isn’t the mid majors being looked at the same criteria.

Nevada losses to Oregon

Utah state didn’t beat any power 6 confrences team out of confrence

We lose fo Miami (a 5 seed ) in the last minute on the road ….thsrs better than what a few of the others can claim happened in their best OOC situation …and we did that down a starter

John Cheney and John cal would play anyone anytime to have the OOC to justify their at large bid at 20-10….
Not many doing that now

Hell…Bob Wenzel scheduke seton hall, Missouri , UNLV, Maryland, BYU and Princeton to get enough chances to make an ar large from a mid major

Where is that …MWC?!??

Judge the WHOLE schedule …not just the OOC

But here is my thing …

Why isn’t the mid majors being looked at the same criteria.

Nevada losses to Oregon

Utah state didn’t beat any power 6 confrences team out of confrence

We lose fo Miami (a 5 seed ) in the last minute on the road ….thsrs better than what a few of the others can claim happened in their best OOC situation …and we did that down a starter ….
exactly. they aren’t held to the same standard and these teams aren’t playing purdue and indiana and the rest of the big ten on the road during conference. There is a reason mountain west won no games last year in tourney

It is stupid when your overall sos is strong. It matters is you are in lousy conference as a reward for trying.
Sure but apparently right or wrong, they don't care.

Why even give them the excuse? Plus quite frankly it's tedious to sit through Columbia/CCSU/Bucknell/Coppin/Sacred Heart/Rider

Trade 3 of those for a tourney or some kind of respectable mid-major at the RAC

Seton hall plays a legitimate ooc schedule that is worth trying to copy. This past year

Buy games: Monmouth, st peters, wagner, drexel
Q1 games: Iowa, kansas, rutgers
Tourney: memphis, oklahoma, siena

Reactions: ILikePike
the problem is they value playing a tougher schedule but they then still pick teams that don’t win any of their tougher non conference like nevada and utah state. those teams also don’t play our schedule in conference so don’t have anywhere close to our wins

Yeah, the logic is shaky no doubt. With that said, we need to do our best to avoid giving them excuses to leave us out. Agree with others that we should only schedule lousy Q4 teams at home and then murderers row neutral site and away games. Game the system. Win the Q4 games and play 4 really tough road/neutral games and if you steal 1 of them you are golden.

Still doesn’t make sense
Our overall strength of schedule was in the 40s. Utah State and NC state in the 70s.
The committee is cherry picking stuff. Our OOC schedule is what it is because we have to deal with the B1G conference schedule.
Nc State beat no one. 1 quad win all year. That is a ridiculous f’ing answer
Utah State and Nevada? Oh yeah, their OOC schedule is so brutal.
F off with the answer

SHU
St Johns
Gavitt
Holiday tourney
Temple
Princeton
Monmouth
Fdu
Rider

It’s really that simple. Its not complicated. Why we wont do that, im just not sure

Is this schedule really that much better?

It doesn’t look bad which is why I’m asking.

I guess it excludes any major cupcakes which is the key

Reactions: MiloTalon13

I hate that last part about Feb 7th on. If they would have paid attention the Big Ten Tournament they would have seen a revitalized team with Simpson.

Still doesn’t make sense
Our overall strength of schedule was in the 40s. Utah State and NC state in the 70s.
The committee is cherry picking stuff. Our OOC schedule is what it is because we have to deal with the B1G conference schedule.
Nc State beat no one. 1 quad win all year. That is a ridiculous f’ing answer

This.

Committee is dumb af if they’re not giving credence to our very good/deep conference schedule.

Some of these other teams don’t have that luxury so the Committee should look at their OOC more closer than us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT