ADVERTISEMENT

OT: RU Athletics Has Positive Net Cross Subsidy Of $28M

bigmatt718

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Mar 11, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Killingsworth and the athletic hating admins at RU can take this chart and shove it up their asses. RU is not only net positive in subsidy by almost $28M, but is ahead in the B1G of Minnesota, Illinois, and Maryland. The shocker for me was UVA being top dog in terms of net positive subsidy for the ACC.

Killingsworth and the athletic hating admins at RU can take this chart and shove it up their asses. RU is not only net positive in subsidy by almost $28M, but is ahead in the B1G of Minnesota, Illinois, and Maryland. The shocker for me was UVA being top dog in terms of net positive subsidy for the ACC.
Yes this is amazing. Not only are we pulling ahead of some BIG schools. Our old pier schools in the Big East aren’t even close.
We are only just beginning.
Check back in ten years.
If Killingsworth was a standup guy he would acknowledge this. I’m not holding my breath.

Reactions: BLewis1968
Basically:
Athletic Subsidy + Student Fees
vs
Cost of Scholarships paid for athletes from AD + cost of tuition paid by walkons

My only quibble: would Universities be getting this $$ regardless?
If there was no football team - would the school just be accepting 85 regular students instead?

While this proves Athletics may not necessary be a negative - it doesn’t necessarily prove Athletics is a positive.
If the enrollment numbers would be the same regardless then the University would get the same money - just from students instead of the AD.

Yes this is amazing. Not only are we pulling ahead of some BIG schools. Our old pier schools in the Big East aren’t even close.
We are only just beginning.
Check back in ten years.
If Killingsworth was a standup guy he would acknowledge this. I’m not holding my breath.
The one big surprise to me: UVA being Top Dog in the ACC. To me that tells me they still could be on the B1G radar at some point.

Reactions: 50 yd line RR
Basically:
Athletic Subsidy + Student Fees
vs
Cost of Scholarships paid for athletes from AD + cost of tuition paid by walkons

My only quibble: would Universities be getting this $$ regardless?
If there was no football team - would the school just be accepting 85 regular students instead?

While this proves Athletics may not necessary be a negative - it doesn’t necessarily prove Athletics is a positive.
If the enrollment numbers would be the same regardless then the University would get the same money - just from students instead of the AD.
Someone posted here applications are up 40% this year. Amazing!
The way I look at it is without the Big Ten this school is not growing in both size and prestige. Without athletics we are not in the Big Ten.

A couple of interesting points to highlight touched upon above, and not immediately visible int the small version of the bar chart and text. First, non-scholarship athletes are counted as revenue, which that is what I think @NickRU714 was referring to above. Someone asked a question about that and the original poster on X answered it.

Full TEXT:

If they're writing checks to the school, they're providing revenue to the school.One of the dirty little secrets of many schools (especially at the low D-I, D-II, and D-III levels) is that sports attract students they want to have attend (who probably wouldn't have attended otherwise), and the revenue from the students more than pays for the cost of the sport. We can pick on sports like track, lacrosse, baseball, soccer, and more as easy examples at many schools.Remember: The marginal cost of squeezing one more seat in a classroom or one more student in a big dorm is effectively $0.

GIJ2Eg2XwAAKtB0

Last edited:
Reactions: NickRU714
Second point to consider are UCF, Cincinnati and Houston, as well as the entire American conference. being underwater from $6.5M-23.8M per year. We are so lucky to have gotten the lifeline from the B1G. All of the hard work of Bob Mulcahy, Greg Schiano and Tim Pernetti paid off.

As far as the Rutgers 1000, Killingsworth, NJ.com and those two dolts that write the investigative pieces for NorthJersey.Com (Gannett):

suck my dick GIF

Makes you wonder where the investigative reporters get their numbers from?

Second point to consider are UCF, Cincinnati and Houston, as well as the entire American conference. being underwater from $6.5M-23.8M per year. We are so lucky to have gotten the lifeline from the B1G. All of the hard work of Bob Mulcahy, Greg Schiano and Tim Pernetti paid off.

As far as the Rutgers 1000, Killingsworth, NJ.com and those two dolts that write the investigative pieces for NorthJersey.Com (Gannett):

suck my dick GIF

Makes you wonder where the investigative reporters get their numbers from?

"Journalists" (You call "investigative reporters" - LOLOL) decide what they want to write then search for any information to support their agenda. Happens all the time.

We know NJ.com trowels the board so maybe they will report....LOL

Re: UVA, they are a big money school and academically they are similar to Michigan. My guess is their Olympic sports are likely excellent. I am not surprised.

Need to account for cost of tuition.
Higher the tuition, higher the "cross subsidy" going from the AD to the school.

Also number of teams/student athletes.

Does UCA have a high tuition compared to other ACC schools?
Perhaps they have an excess numer of Olympic sport athletes?

Missing a lot of data from the private schools of course. And that odd setup in Pennsy.

Missing a lot of data from the private schools of course. And that odd setup in Pennsy.
Private schools aren't required to disclose those numbers and from what I hear the PA schools are a jumbled mess and it would be extremely difficult to accurately measure the net subsidies of PSU/Pitt/Temple.

Reactions: RUSK97
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT