ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Wrestling News

Saying we have a good chance (WNG) is a lot different than predicting he will be a scarlet knight. Cornell is an amazing academic school and has a rich wrestling history.
I wish Cardenas the best in whatever road he chooses. Of course I want him at RU but if not RU, Cornell is a great choice for him (Plus it keeps him away from the B10).
Bill's statement was actually "very good" chance (on all 3). I'm not saying he won't end up at RU, but just giving a more realistic assessment of the situation at this time for the board to try to avoid a big letdown if he goes somewhere else (if that's possible). I had a conversation with Jacob less than a month ago and one school was mentioned at the top of his list - not RU. Of course, 17 year old kids and recruiting situations are fickle so that could change at any moment.

He's a great kid and will do well wherever he ends up and I wish him the best also.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Let’s remember WNG is very optimistic and our greatest fan. He often let’s enthuiasm get ahead of him. Also, for many wrestlers it is easier to get into to Cornell than Rutgers by first going to TCC and then the Cornell Ag School. Koll is a marketing genius and can sell ice to the Eskimos. We are after 3 top recruits as are other schools.

Last edited:
It will be a dog fight for him. I can see if he wants Ivy but go to Princeton or Harvard and that degree is your entry anywhere. But Cornell is no better than RU academically in my opinion. Yes their coach can sell ice to the Eskimos plus the NJ hs coaches don’t actually help our cause.

It will be a dog fight for him. I can see if he wants Ivy but go to Princeton or Harvard and that degree is your entry anywhere. But Cornell is no better than RU academically in my opinion. Yes their coach can sell ice to the Eskimos plus the NJ hs coaches don’t actually help our cause.
There's a reason why the other 7 Ivies look down at Cornell academically. Not a bad school by any means though.

Don't let the facts get in the way.

US News & World Report College Rankings

Cornell #14, tied with another Ivy - Brown
Rutgers New Brunswick #69 yeah that's about the same

Cornell acceptance rate 14% overall
Rutgers New Brunswick acceptance rate 57% yeah harder to get into apparently lol

Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education Rankings
Cornell #10 ahead of other Ivy schools Brown and Dartmouth. guess they're not looking down at Cornell in the rankings
Rutgers New Brunswick #147

Last edited:
More showing how they're the same

25th-75th percentile SAT scores for admitted students

1410-1570 Cornell
1180-1400 Rutgers New Brunswick

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
plus the NJ hs coaches don’t actually help our cause
Many here would rather eat their own. Disappointing, but not surprised based on my own interactions with coaches and parents, that we still deal with this for our wrestling program.

Julio118 - yes, Cornell is a much better academic school than Rutgers. That is not the point. The point is that Cornell makes exceptions to wrestling recruits. TCC is a joke. Check it out. Also the highest percentage of their wrestlers are agricultural majors. Makes one wonder what they will do with an ag degree. Maybe they grew up on a farm. Plus if the recruit lives in NY State and family income is below 150,000 tuition is free. Reminder the Ag school is a state school.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Julio118 - yes, Cornell is a much better academic school than Rutgers. That is not the point. The point is that Cornell makes exceptions to wrestling recruits. TCC is a joke. Check it out. Also the highest percentage of their wrestlers are agricultural majors. Makes one wonder what they will do with an ag degree. Maybe they grew up on a farm. Plus if the recruit lives in NY State and family income is below 150,000 tuition is free. Reminder the Ag school is a state school.
Exactly. Cornell is stashing wrestlers in a "farm school", literally and figuratively.

Racpack, you have no idea about Cornell's "Ag School" majors anything else about the overall success in life by its graduates. What about Rutgers Ag School? For years that was what it was called then Cook and now more refined as the School of Agriculture and Environmental Science. Stop the BS as both are great education venues and offering opportunies other than those on a "farm".

In WNG I trust! Optimistic perhaps....but close to the program and both fair and objective in any comments and analysis.

RU 62 - have been to the Cornell Ag School. It is very good if interested in majors offered. Issue is that most wrestlers that go there have no interest in the majors. TCC does not prepare them. Have you visited TCC? Now many of these kids have a degree that is not helping them get a job. Meeting next with to discuss admissions standards as they don’t represent the spirit agreed to with other Ivy Schools. Hurts school’s reputation and does not benefit the kids.

Also...

Nick Bouzakis (Fr) #5 @ 120

Rutgers commit JoJo Aragona (Sr) #2 @ 138

Rutgers commit Robert Kanniard (Sr) #8 @ 160

Josh McKenzie (Sr) #7 @ 182

Jacob Cardenas (Sr) #3 @ 195 (Ferrari is #1)

Lewis Fernandes (Sr) #3 @ 220
Zach DelVecchio (Sr) #13 @ 220

Also...

Nick Bouzakis (Fr) #5 @ 120

Rutgers commit JoJo Aragona (Sr) #2 @ 138

Rutgers commit Robert Kanniard (Sr) #8 @ 160

Josh McKenzie (Sr) #7 @ 182

Jacob Cardenas (Sr) #3 @ 195 (Ferrari is #1)

Lewis Fernandes (Sr) #3 @ 220
Zach DelVecchio (Sr) #13 @ 220
DelVecchio would be a lock to RU by now if he wasn't pursuing football.

https://scarletknights.com/roster.aspx?path=wrestling

2018-19 Roster updated.

Of Note:

Anthony Olivieri transferred from Hofstra, of note because I assume his brother is the Freshman 106 State Champ Joey Olivieri from last year and the cousin of Sophomore 2x State Champ Anthony Clark. Can't hurt our chances with these guys in the future.

32 wrestlers listed and in the past our roster limit was 29, so we may see some guys come off the roster.

https://scarletknights.com/roster.aspx?path=wrestling

2018-19 Roster updated.

Of Note:

Anthony Olivieri transferred from Hofstra, of note because I assume his brother is the Freshman 106 State Champ Joey Olivieri from last year and the cousin of Sophomore 2x State Champ Anthony Clark. Can't hurt our chances with these guys in the future.

32 wrestlers listed and in the past our roster limit was 29, so we may see some guys come off the roster.
Thanks for posting this!!

Correnti still listed at Heavy - pretty sure he will be at 197.

Man, it was great to see Glasgow on the roster!

How long did Ashnault wrestle in Kazakhstan, and how does a trip like that come about? Sounds like an awesome experience.

I don't know, hopefully wngarbarini or others in the know, can share that info.

Also.....our 2019 Commit, Billy Janzer, Delsea HS, now ranked #2 in the country at 182 !! He's going to be a great addition at 184 or 197 in a season or 2 !

http://intermatwrestle.com/rankings/high_school/182

How long did Ashnault wrestle in Kazakhstan, and how does a trip like that come about? Sounds like an awesome experience.

I don't know, hopefully wngarbarini or others in the know, can share that info.

Also.....our 2019 Commit, Billy Janzer, Delsea HS, now ranked #2 in the country at 182 !! He's going to be a great addition at 184 or 197 in a season or 2 !

http://intermatwrestle.com/rankings/high_school/182

Also some good pics on the RU Wrestling twitter :

We have two young bucks trying to make a push for COW consideration here at @RUWrestling team camp. #gottahavePOP @JillyBanzer @Glo_bucksss

Dgp0zIGWkAEp-Cx.jpg

looks like that might be Stephan Glasgow w Janzer, but not certain.

more:

https://twitter.com/ruwrestling?lang=en

Reactions: Clearscreen25
Reactions: PSUPOWER and obrats
Not being a hater and I truly wish him the best, but is this really the best environment for DeSanto?

IMAGINE this at Rutgers.
NO! I said this before and I'll say it again. DeSanto needs a coach who's going to take the time to get to know him and see what makes him tick. This is what his high school coach did for years in order to get the best out of DeSanto. The Drexel coaches either didn't do this or simply tried and failed. Brands is not the type who is going to do this, he's not a hand holder, he's a pounder. The combination is a powder keg waiting to explode.

Reactions: Jersey Boys
NO! I said this before and I'll say it again. DeSanto needs a coach who's going to take the time to get to know him and see what makes him tick. This is what his high school coach did for years in order to get the best out of DeSanto. The Drexel coaches either didn't do this or simply tried and failed. Brands is not the type who is going to do this, he's not a hand holder, he's a pounder. The combination is a powder keg waiting to explode.
Wouldn't shock me at all if DeSanto crashes and burns at Iowa.

Reactions: Jersey Boys
Anyone book rooms yet for The Nationals in Pittsburg 2019 yet ? I figure with RU having 2 decent chances for a Champion (Suriano, and Ashnault) and a few others with good chances to make Round of 12 (JVB, Gravina, maybe some others in Glasgow, MVB, Correnti, Collucci). This is probably the best year to hit an out of area Nationals, especially w Suriano and Ashnaults & Gravina's last year with RU. You know Penn St and Ohio St will be booking ASAP as well. Best tips yet?

Reactions: dollarbill
We always get rooms right after 2018 event so I assume my man has them already. I just write the check.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT