ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Wrestling News

Cardenas commits to Cornell via Flo

Where will he wrestle in College, 197 ? I think Janzer is going to be a monster for us at 197 in 2 seasons. He will push Correnti, if Correnti doesn't eventually go 285. Good luck to Cardenas at Cornell , though,
Great program, even with Hahn gone.

Where will he wrestle in College, 197 ? I think Janzer is going to be a monster for us at 197 in 2 seasons. He will push Correnti, if Correnti doesn't eventually go 285. Good luck to Cardenas at Cornell , though,
Great program, even with Hahn gone.

Janzer will fit right in after a redshirt year.Can't wait to see him make some waves.

Anyone book rooms yet for The Nationals in Pittsburg 2019 yet ? I figure with RU having 2 decent chances for a Champion (Suriano, and Ashnault) and a few others with good chances to make Round of 12 (JVB, Gravina, maybe some others in Glasgow, MVB, Correnti, Collucci). This is probably the best year to hit an out of area Nationals, especially w Suriano and Ashnaults & Gravina's last year with RU. You know Penn St and Ohio St will be booking ASAP as well. Best tips yet?

Did you get tickets already?

Bill's statement was actually "very good" chance (on all 3). I'm not saying he won't end up at RU, but just giving a more realistic assessment of the situation at this time for the board to try to avoid a big letdown if he goes somewhere else (if that's possible). I had a conversation with Jacob less than a month ago and one school was mentioned at the top of his list - not RU. Of course, 17 year old kids and recruiting situations are fickle so that could change at any moment.

He's a great kid and will do well wherever he ends up and I wish him the best also.
Jacob has committed to Cornell which is a great place for him to continue his career (as would have been RU).

He is a great and super polite kid and probably was very enthusiastic, effusive and grateful to all the schools that hosted him, but I think this was his #1 choice from the very beginning. Wish him the very best there!

Sad news out of Wisconsin as NCAA qualifier at 141 Eli Stickley was killed in a car accident. My thoughts to the Wisconsin wrestlers family.

Watched a pretty good , New wrestling movie on Netflix called “Dangal” which means wrestling in Indian language. Sub titles. Very well done.

Watched a pretty good , New wrestling movie on Netflix called “Dangal” which means wrestling in Indian language. Sub titles. Very well done.
The training montage with the Indian music was funny. My wife looked at me and said, "What the hell are you watching?" I said, I'm getting cultured, I'm watching a foreign musical with subtitles. You always wanted me to expand my horizons so I am. It was a good movie of a father looking out for his daughter's best interests the only way he knows how to and the daughters finally coming to that realization.

Reactions: Abro1975
The training montage with the Indian music was funny. My wife looked at me and said, "What the hell are you watching?" I said, I'm getting cultured, I'm watching a foreign musical with subtitles. You always wanted me to expand my horizons so I am. It was a good movie of a father looking out for his daughter's best interests the only way he knows how to and the daughters finally coming to that realization.

Lot of good throws in the free style action. The Dad being a National Champ in India sure helped those girls. Both became Commonwealth champs, not sure how they did in the Olympics.

Lot of good throws in the free style action. The Dad being a National Champ in India sure helped those girls. Both became Commonwealth champs, not sure how they did in the Olympics.
This is Geeta in real life. She could throw me anytime.
Geeta-Phogat-1-1.jpg

Reactions: Abro1975
For one thing, the writer has Suriano and Ashnault at the wrong weight classes.
Pretty good rundown for a bunch of schools.
Yeah, some details are off, but a solid preview of the season. So it's definite that Suriano is going 133? Personally I think that's an easier road to a NC than 125. Gross is his biggest challenger.

Schultz to ASU :thumbsdown:. We gotta win some of these recruiting battles.

Schultz to ASU :thumbsdown:. We gotta win some of these recruiting battles.
Well that completely sucks. What's our plan C for heavyweight with Fernandes also off the board? We just need to get better recruiting upperweights.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Well that completely sucks. What's our plan C for heavyweight with Fernandes also off the board? We just need to get better recruiting upperweights.
What's the formula for recruiting better at the upperweights? Getting better athletes in the training room? Not landing Kasper for the RTC hurts. There has to be something the team is missing.

On a positive note, Aragona is now the #1 ranked 138 in the country by Flo in the new rankings. Kanniard is #10 at 160.

Recruit Anderson is #2 at 145.
That's great that we are fine in the lower and middle weights, but why are we so bad at recruiting upperweights? I got flack for saying we should upgrade coaches for the upperweights, get the ace equivalent of Pritzlaff for the big boys. Whatever we are doing for recruiting upperweights, it's not working and something needs to change.

On a positive note, Aragona is now the #1 ranked 138 in the country by Flo in the new rankings. Kanniard is #10 at 160.

Recruit Anderson is #2 at 145.
Our lower and middle weight recruiting has been outstanding. No complaints there. It's from 174 and up that has me concerned. They're just not landing the recruits needed to continue to push the program forward. Get that fixed and RU is on to the next level. That area needs some reevaluation from the head guy.

Reactions: bigmatt718
There are just much fewer high quality upper weight wrestlers out there. There isn't as big a drop off in the lower -middle weights from the 5th ranked kid to the 20th ranked kid in quality and ability as there is when you get to 285, then there is a huge drop off from 5th to 20th. And the Blue Blood programs like Iowa, Ohio St, Ok St, Penn St , Cornell, a few others, usually get those top 5 Heavyweights. We're not quite there , yet.

Reactions: Leonard23
What's the story on Owen Trephan? Blair kid but not sure if he is committed. Football?

What's the formula for recruiting better at the upperweights? Getting better athletes in the training room? Not landing Kasper for the RTC hurts. There has to be something the team is missing.
Heard Kasper is trying to go into the WWE

Nice to see Skwc pick up Brian Murphy as volunteer coach and Bryce Meredith as resident athlete. This is great news!

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Nice to see Skwc pick up Brian Murphy as volunteer coach and Bryce Meredith as resident athlete. This is great news!
Minor correction Brian Murphy is the Rutgers Volunteer Coach. He took Joe Pollard’s position. Joe will play a bigger role with SKWC.

And Bryce Meridith as a resident athlete is a home run. I do wonder if he will be splitting time between NJ and Wyoming.

Minor correction Brian Murphy is the Rutgers Volunteer Coach. He took Joe Pollard’s position. Joe will play a bigger role with SKWC.

And Bryce Meridith as a resident athlete is a home run. I do wonder if he will be splitting time between NJ and Wyoming.
Brian is excellent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT