ADVERTISEMENT

26 years ago conference tournament week

yes, it was 25 years ago. I was there. My Father & I went to Fridays across the street for dinner in between sessions. Rutgers fans going crazy..

I think that was the tourney when a reporter asked Geoff what he was planning on doing in NYC after the game & he replied laundry.

Apparently, he was accustomed to the team only making single day trip in & back home for the tourney and hadn't packed for a multi day stay....

Reactions: RUPete
Forgot to bump this last week. This stood as our best March madness moment from 1998 until 2021!
Can’t believe it’s been 26 years !!

Billet beat the buzzer and beat Georgetown. Still our best conference tournament March moment since 1989. We were down 9 at the half. Great comeback and finish to get us to the semifinals for the first and only time.

On another note , seems this year the ncaa tournament is starting later? This is usually conference tournament week.
Was there for that year's RU games in the tourney - loved having the conf tourney at MSG...

Reactions: Plum Street
I was a freshman in the band and got to see all three games at the Garden that year... what an amazing experience that was! I really thought that it was a sign of good things to come, but I guess we just had to wait another 20+ years.

sad that the program has been irrelevant in conference tournament play for 26 years now
How do you define relevance? That team went to the semis of that tournament. By that measure, the Corey Sanders - Geo Baker run at MSG was equally relevant.

How many of those players would have started on this year's team?

Hodgson - definitely
Billet- likely
Clark - possibly
Earl Johnson - in the guard rotation

We were wearing white because Georgetown sucked and was a lower seed than we were. Beating WVU who I believe was in Top 25 the game before was a more impressive win but without a buzzer beater. Only 2 wins needed to get semifinals.

I wasn’t there for Billet’s game but the Big Ten tournament including Corey’s splitting defenders for an awesome game sealing dunk against Indiana was an unbelievable moment in person. We played really well against Purdue the next game too. That was a great game. Our arrival in the Big Ten that week.

How lame you are celebrating a quarterfinal tourney appearance
I’m not at all. Just hate it when folks make stupid statements to take another dump on Rutgers. In fact you could argue that Big 10 run was better since they won two games and took a very good Purdue team down to the wire. The BE team got blown out by UCONN in the second half of that semi. You are the lame one for equating 1998 with relevance. Take the L.

Billet beat the buzzer and beat Georgetown. Still our best conference tournament March moment since 1989. We were down 9 at the half. Great comeback and finish to get us to the semifinals for the first and only time.

On another note , seems this year the ncaa tournament is starting later? This is usually conference tournament week.
Wasn't there that day (as discussed earlier) and it WAS great BUT being at MSG for the comeback and demolition of Indiana, and their obnoxious fans, was right there IMHO.

I’m not at all. Just hate it when folks make stupid statements to take another dump on Rutgers. In fact you could argue that Big 10 run was better since they won two games and took a very good Purdue team down to the wire. The BE team got blown out by UCONN in the second half of that semi. You are the lame one for equating 1998 with relevance. Take the L.

Its pretty lame than in 26 years you are pointing to making the quarterfinals of a conference tourney as some high point

Its pretty lame than in 26 years you are pointing to making the quarterfinals of a conference tourney as some high point
Again, I’m not - just refuting what you posted which indicates that you think 1998 is some high point. Take the L, which doesn’t stand for lo bro. 😎

Which one? The BE or Big 10 moment? 😂 Anyway, I hope and probably know you are kidding about this.
lol

I would rank our 3 best “recent” March moments

1. Win over Clemson
2. Win over Penn state in a 10 title game.
3. Billet game

I was a freshman. Student section was calling him a traitor pretty bad and I think his brother was at the game and was pretty heated getting into it with the fans after the game leaving the court.
Me and my boys brought in the “Billet = Traitor” banner that was like 15 feet long - got confiscated 2 minutes after we unfurled that sucker.

lol

I would rank our 3 best “recent” March moments

1. Win over Clemson
2. Win over Penn state in a 10 title game.
3. Billet game
No. You’re in one of your argumentative moods again. The Billet game was great, don’t get me wrong. And I trucked into MSG to see the semi game. But that Big 10 run was the same damn thing. Also, what’s your definition of recent? Love how Plum left himself leeway with that comment. Plum has an indefensible position, Plum hedges…

No. You’re in one of your argumentative moods again. The Billet game was great, don’t get me wrong. And I trucked into MSG to see the semi game. But that Big 10 run was the same damn thing. Also, what’s your definition of recent? Love how Plum left himself leeway with that comment. Plum has an indefensible position, Plum hedges…
Last 40 years I would qualify as recent considering our lack of success . So it’s slim pickings .
The BIG run we got to the quarterfinals . The Big East run we got to the semifinals in a better conference , that was more impressive . We also beat a sweet 16 West Virginia team the first round. It is not even close the billet game and that team’s run was more impressive than the BIG quarterfinals

Reactions: bac2therac
Big East Phil was at that GTown game right behind the opposite basket.

When Billet hit the shot, I was so excited that my euphoria landed me on the court only to be accosted by MSG security. Lol

Many people don’t remember that we beat a ranked WVU team the day before with a great 2nd half.

Probably because that BE tourney run was so unexpected , that moment when Billet hit the teardrop remains such a great moment and certainly our best in BET lore.

Reactions: Plum Street
We were wearing white because Georgetown sucked and was a lower seed than we were. Beating WVU who I believe was in Top 25 the game before was a more impressive win but without a buzzer beater. Only 2 wins needed to get semifinals.

I wasn’t there for Billet’s game but the Big Ten tournament including Corey’s splitting defenders for an awesome game sealing dunk against Indiana was an unbelievable moment in person. We played really well against Purdue the next game too. That was a great game. Our arrival in the Big Ten that week.
B1G tournament??? We didn’t enter the conference until 2014… you mean Big Least tourney when Billet played.

Last 40 years I would qualify as recent considering our lack of success . So it’s slim pickings .
The BIG run we got to the quarterfinals . The Big East run we got to the semifinals in a better conference , that was more impressive . We also beat a sweet 16 West Virginia team the first round. It is not even close the billet game and that team’s run was more impressive than the BIG quarterfinals
Then got crushed by UCONN in the semis. Also think there were more rounds to play in the Big 10 tournament. And if you’re going back 40 years or so don’t leave out the Eastern 8 championship and NCAA win in 1982. Technically more than 40, but if you’re going back 40, what’s a couple of more years?

Then got crushed by UCONN in the semis. Also think there were more rounds to play in the Big 10 tournament. And if you’re going back 40 years or so don’t leave out the Eastern 8 championship and NCAA win in 1982. Technically more than 40, but if you’re going back 40, what’s a couple of more years?
Yes , that’s why coincidentally the parameters were set at 40 years.
Perhaps too coincidental to be a coincidence 😂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT