ADVERTISEMENT

$40 MLAX Season Tix

I think they should go pep band, cheerleaders, full monty. Change the whole experience of your typical lacrosse game.

I know the early season weather might not be the best, but this is the best home schedule RU has had in a long time, with the potential to have one of the best teams we have had in a long time.

Reactions: bigmatt718
I'm an alum of the band and thought it would be a cool idea to get a pep band for most sports. Only issue is that the pool of students who overlap between playing an instrument and being into college sports is very small. As it stands right now an average band member gets no scholarship and no academic help in balancing a schedule to work in these games. If you want a 30 member pep band for all out door sports and at least a 20 member pep band for indoor sports, something is gonna have to be done to help those members like the way the other athletes are.

Reactions: RU62
Hopkins band is sometimes about 10 people. They do it because they love the school and just want to support the team.

Not sure the commitment is football levels. They show up, play after goals, leave.

I'm an alum of the band and thought it would be a cool idea to get a pep band for most sports. Only issue is that the pool of students who overlap between playing an instrument and being into college sports is very small. As it stands right now an average band member gets no scholarship and no academic help in balancing a schedule to work in these games. If you want a 30 member pep band for all out door sports and at least a 20 member pep band for indoor sports, something is gonna have to be done to help those members like the way the other athletes are.
Any rumors on the new band director targets? If I'm Hobbs I want an assistant director from a B1G school or maybe a director from UMass or JMU.

Also lax purists need to get over themselves. I'd rather start the season first week of March, and end the NCAA tourney in 1st or 2nd week of June. MDW doesn't make sense for the Final Four and neither does playing in early February.

Reactions: RU62
Organizing bands for other sports besides FB and BBall is from Athletics, not the band. Last year we did pep bands for Women's and Men's soccer, and Volleyball, which were all very fun. Asked about doing it this year but Athletics had not asked the band. They have been very busy with Chris Ash and his demands coming in that I think they simply forgot (or when Hobbs came in the person who organized that stuff left the AD). Would love to do games for other sports, but the AD has to approve it. And there are more multi-sport fans in the band than you would think.

RU Men's lax starts the season ranked #16 in the country. No SOS issue as well this year as RU has 6 ranked opponents (#2 MD, #8 Hopkins, #11 Brown, #15 PSU, #17 OSU, #20 Fairfield). Army and Stony Brook were RVs as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT