ADVERTISEMENT

Amazing how we don't have any reliable 3 point shooters

and these other teams are flooded with them.
There's a bit of selection bias here. There's a reason that you're still watching these particular teams. It's because they have shooters. That said, yes, RU has to recruit shooters/scorers. But, of course, everyone else is trying real hard to do the same thing.

The answer lies in between
1. we don't have guys that can shoot
2. we don't move the ball to get good shots

36.4% is the 2017 3 point shooting average. 30.2% was ours. If we got the looks the average team gets would we be 34-35% area?

I say yes.

I also believe the fact we take so few 3s AND we play at a low tempo lowers our % further.

I'd love to see our 3 point shooting % AND the national average 3 point shooting % on shots CHOSEN by the offense (vs. forced by a shot clock about to expire)

Reactions: DirtyRU
Low supply, high demand.

In short, they will not be picking Rutgers until Pikiell and the team continue to be reputable.

Does last season make us reputable?

I do not think so. Like mentioned, it is definitely a step in the right direction. Do it again, and the program becomes semi reputable.

I still think there are some people on this staff that can out recruit their record.

Not to be confusing us with Kansas, but once they ran their setup and nothing materialized, they have people that can go one on one and drive to the basket. Last night they just happen to hit almost every shot in that situation and buried Purdue. Sanders can get to the basket like those guys, but doesn't always control his shot and or draw a foul. We have nobody else with that ability in crunch time. Not a knock on the other guys, just the way it is right now.
Almost every team in the tournament has more overall talent and shooting ability than we do. Nice to be in the dance, but can't see us beating anybody until we upgrade. We'd we a bubble team in the tournament.

decades of horrendous recruiting by several regimes

2004-2005 team had Quincy Douby and Ricky Shields. Douby was of course an unreal outside shooter. I have friends in Syracuse who still talk about his game in the Carrier Dome. Shields was very good too. This is likely the last Rutgers team with two very good long range shooters.

Reactions: DirtyRU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT