ADVERTISEMENT

An open letter to Rutgers

I wasted 5 seconds reading the opening of this trash. How does he know if Gary will stay home or not? He's visiting other schools along with every other propsect in the country. That doesn't mean he commits or doesn't commit to Rutgers come signing day.

You need a tireless, creative, focused and intelligent salesman like GS who was able to sell a program that had a dismal history and concomitant dismal reputation.

Flood is in a far better position to sell the program than GS was on many levels - we're no longer a doormat, better facilities and, most importantly, B1G membership. But to date he's been unable to get a top recruiting class or to beat teams with winning records, with rare exceptions.

If Flood can get Guarantano (a long shot in my view), I believe that could change recruiting since other NJ stars likely will follow, and perhaps give him the talent he needs to be competitive in the B1G.
This post was edited on 3/25 11:00 AM by CuredbywinningRU

Since the beginning of July (6/29 to be exact) Flood has brought in 11 three stars and a 4 star, plus Kiy Hester and Kaiwan Lewis. I realize its not Ohio State good, but people make it sound like this is still 2013 here.

Its ridiculous how good Rutgers can be if they can just keep half the top twenty of NJ in-state every year. I think you guys need to be patient, everything's not going to happen over night. Eventually some big time recruit is going to re-break this trend. The big ten money will roll in eventually and then the kids would have one less big reason to go out of state. On a side note i was watching Rashan Gary's video a month back, and hes probably the most impressive DT prospect i have ever seen at the HS level. Some of the stuff he does in that video just shouldn't be possible for a kid that size.

Heads Up: I read on elevenwarriors that Guarantano just named Tennessee his new leader

What i think Rutgers needs for this recruiting cycle is a big time QB recruit to commit early, it doesn't necessarily have to be Jarrett Guarantano or some other in State QB. They need a kid whos going to be a charismatic leader and go out and be a leader for this recruiting class. A kid who has clout that other kids want to follow. You see it every year, whenever a big time QB commits others follow because they want to be around other good players throughout their college careers. Now from following Rutgers recruiting, i think the Jabbie kid can be a great leader for this class, hes just not a qb and he doesnt have the "Star" ranking to back him up.

Originally posted by ahmeda3:
Its ridiculous how good Rutgers can be if they can just keep half the top twenty of NJ in-state every year. I think you guys need to be patient[/B], everything's not going to happen over night. Eventually some big time recruit is going to re-break this trend. The big ten money will roll in eventually and then the kids would have one less big reason to go out of state. On a side note i was watching Rashan Gary's video a month back, and hes probably the most impressive DT prospect i have ever seen at the HS level. Some of the stuff he does in that video just shouldn't be possible for a kid that size.

Heads Up: I read on elevenwarriors that Guarantano just named Tennessee his new leader
I'm not sure if you're an RU fan, an OSU fan, or someone else (hard to tell with only a few posts here). But we are Rutgers fans. We are nothing if not patient.

We are all fully aware of what our challenges are -- more aware of our history than anyone else. The Big Ten will change things for us, but it won't happen in one or two years. We are likely not going to sell our souls and mortgage everything to get someone to compete with Urban Meyer off the bat.

Spanky "I am trying to figure the OP out."
he is an OSU troll planting a seed of discontent about Rutgers as it sounds like his OSU visit is not met very well by his family.
It is just good old Negative advertising by the Buckys. I guess they don't have enough talent in their own hick state to draw from.

I'm an OSU and you can take this as a seed of discontent if you like. My thought is that it is only a matter of time for Rutgers. Scarlet Knight football may have been around for 145 years but you've only been part of a Power Conference for 1.

That's the first step. Second step is having some degree of success regardless of who is on your roster. You've started that.

Then it's to eventually keep some home grown top talent. Unlike Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, or most of the Big 10 States, where top national talent is sparodic and skips years, Rutgers has top talent this year, will next year, the year after that, and will do so as long as high school football is played in the state.

One of these years enough of them will stay home and the flood gates will open. It might not be this year but it will happen. That's when these type of threads will no longer exist.

geeeez guys im not a troll. I'm a jersey boy, who grew up watching and rooting for Ohio state. I had a sister who graduated from Rutgers New Brunswick, and i currently have two sisters who are enrolled at Rutgers NB, I just want to see my home state flagship school do well.

I find the article positive. Very refreshing to see. It is coming from Cleveland Ohio. The rest of the country is asking the STATE OF NEW JERSEY, "What is your God.. ...problem?"

At some point, the train will finally leave the station. We've only been waiting since the 70s. We're a great fan base. At some point, we'll get great leadership in ever power position.

Originally posted by klemman:
I'm an OSU and you can take this as a seed of discontent if you like. My thought is that it is only a matter of time for Rutgers. Scarlet Knight football may have been around for 145 years but you've only been part of a Power Conference for 1.
The Big East from 1994 to 2009 was a Power Conference. I'm tired of that league not getting the respect it deserves. It had some atrocious down years -- 2005 and 2010 come to mind -- but in 2006, it was as good as the Big Ten, the Pac10, Big XII, SEC or ACC.

The problem was that it also outpaced all five of those conferences in the field of institutional schizophrenia.

Nothing new here. We all know Flood isn't a good recruiter. Don't let the facts get in the way.

The writer got butthurt from his twitter page so he wrote an article telling Rutgers fans what they already know. Rutgers won't win the conference without elite talent, shocking. Since joining the BIG, Flood has brought in a possible 3 year starting QB, 4 year starting safety, and plugged in holes elsewhere. He wins 8 games his first year, brings in two freshman backs that both look like future stars, and has a good start on 16 already.

He's done everything right the past 12 months off the field. We're not at the point of beating OSU,MSU, Wisconsin, but we're improving and that showed toward the end of the year.

Not upset about the OSU fan's perspectives, it's interesting to hear, but let's get one thing straight.

Rutgers has not spent 1 year in a power conference.

The Big East was a power conference, and 9 times out of 10, better than the ACC in football.

IF we have spent one year in a power conference, than that makes West Virginia, Louisville, Syracuse, and Pittsburgh newbies to power conferences as well. And I think WVU, Pitt and Louisville would have a few things to say about that if you told them they're brand new to being in a "Power Conference."

For some reason Rutgers always gets this label, while the other teams I mentioned are never spoken of this way.

In fact, the last time we were actually a very good football team, the Big East was ranked second only to the SEC in conference strength in 2006.

I get that the Big East wasn't the Big Ten, and didn't have the name brands we're playing against now. But this power conference BS is just not accurate, and quite frankly hurts our reputation when it comes to recruiting. It's not just opposing fans, it's sportscaster and sports pundits alike that act like we joined the Big Ten from the MAC, and we've never played ranked football teams before. Please, stop labeling Rutgers as a brand new Power Conference school. It's inaccurate.

My take-aways:

1) Once again, the passion of the RU fanbase surprises those on the outside...... When things change (and they will) the energy around the team year-to-year will be on par with the top programs around the country

2) facts is facts -- but kind of premature considering not even 1 full year in B1G and the $$$$ hasn't even started yet......

No offense intended. It wasn't that long ago in actual years that the Big East was a Power Conference. But it was a long time ago in the number of changes that have occurred among conferences since then. I forgot.

I think everyone on this board knows Flood needs to improve recruiting. People who don't like to hear or see the message usually can shout the critics down on the message board but the Ohio State writer was surprised when they tried to shout him down on twitter.

Keep winning with less talent and through assistants leaving and Flood will get the rep as a great college coach. He's now, at least a good one.

He needs to be heard talking about what the "Rutgers Offensive philosophy" is and always will be, no matter who the OC is. Come up with margin to describe and brand it and take ownership of one side of the ball.

If he can gain a reputation for running an innovative pro-style offense and get some credit as being an architect of it, then recruiting will get a lot easier for him.

As for this "writer," reminds me of so much internet reporting, the guy stumbles on a few facts and thinks he has it all figured out.

1. We are very much in it for Gary.
2. Flood has a top rated recruiting class and lost it, which is different than never having one.
3. The team and the staff turned some heads by coming out and beating Maryland, Michigan and Penn State (in every way but the final score).

The article would have been accurate, last year this time but 2016 and Flood is right there in turning this.

This post was edited on 3/25 9:52 PM by chase07470

Originally posted by RUfromSoCal?:
My take-aways:

1) Once again, the passion of the RU fanbase surprises those on the outside...... When things change (and they will) the energy around the team year-to-year will be on par with the top programs around the country

2) facts is facts -- but kind of premature considering not even 1 full year in B1G and the $$$$ hasn't even started yet......
You are correct, of course, but recruiting classes have known for the past three years we were going to the Big Ten. So that's a reasonable time to increase the expectations if your job includes keeping an eye on recruiting.

Originally posted by chase07470:
Keep winning with less talent and through assistants leaving and Flood will get the rep as a great college coach. He's now, at least a good one.

He needs to be heard talking about what the "Rutgers Offensive philosophy" is and always will be, no matter who the OC is. Come up with margin to describe and brand it and take ownership of one side of the ball.

If he can gain a reputation for running an innovative pro-style offense and get some credit as being an architect of it, then recruiting will get a lot easier for him.

As for this "writer," reminds me of so much internet reporting, the guy stumbles on a few facts and thinks he has it all figured out.

1. We are very much in it for Gary.
2. Flood has a top rated recruiting class and lost it, which is different than never having one.
3. The team and the staff turned some heads by coming out and beating Maryland, Michigan and Penn State (in every way but the final score).

The article would have been accurate, last year this time but 2016 and Flood is right there in turning this.

This post was edited on 3/25 9:52 PM by chase07470
+1
Everyone just needs to shut up and wait, especially the guy who wrote the letter. Let the man work. There are a plethora of events and circumstances that this dude probably has no idea about including the ones you listed. Flood was on the cusp of landing game-changing class during the 2013 season before all hell broke loose, and it remains to be seen if he can seal the deal this time around. The potential is there. Cautious optimism for now.

Um, Chase, I'd just like to clarify your Penn State win in "every way but the final score" piece? RU had 000000 points in the second half! In what world is that "winning in every way"? In fact, all 10 of RU's points were scored in the 2nd quarter as neither team scored in the first.

Granted Penn State was atrocious in that game (and several others), but it's usually difficult to win when you don't score in the entire second half of the game, no matter what team you are!

Re: Good!

Light a fire under everyone's ass at RU and maybe someone will wake up and do something. But football is still light years ahead of Men's BBall.

Originally posted by rutgersnyc:
Light a fire under everyone's ass at RU and maybe someone will wake up and do something. But football is still light years ahead of Men's BBall.
Getting throttled by anyone with a pulse last year is light years ahead of BBall? We are just lucky, unlike BBall, everyone gets a trophy in FBall (bowl game) and beat a pathetic UNC. Light years? Let's call it years.

Oh, by the way, Michigan and Penn State's pulses are coming back. If we don't beat Penn State this year, the absolute bottom of their situation, (shaking my head).

Originally posted by ahmeda3:
geeeez guys im not a troll. I'm a jersey boy, who grew up watching and rooting for Ohio state. I had a sister who graduated from Rutgers New Brunswick, and i currently have two sisters who are enrolled at Rutgers NB, I just want to see my home state flagship school do well.
And still rooting for Ohio State with 3 sisters having attended RU? Are you a misogynist?

MozRU - perfectly stated. I will say that FB is light years ahead of bb (a low bar, of course) in one way though - facilities and fan interest.

Originally posted by MozRU:

Getting throttled by anyone with a pulse last year is light years ahead of BBall? We are just lucky, unlike BBall, everyone gets a trophy in FBall (bowl game) and beat a pathetic UNC. Light years? Let's call it years.

Oh, by the way, Michigan and Penn State's pulses are coming back. If we don't beat Penn State this year, the absolute bottom of their situation, (shaking my head).
What a ridiculous way to look at it. You must be a very gloomy person in real life.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT