ADVERTISEMENT

Another early eval of B1G for next year

A bit lazy. I hate the over the top Illinois praise followed by no effort to mention the impact players joining our rotation.

I love reporters who go out on a limb. He's high on the Illini. Takes guts to elevate them to 2nd....

Reactions: biazza38
Indiana, Purdue, Maryland, Michigan and Iowa are all miles better than Illinois....keep in mind, this is an East Lansing based writer and Illinois had their biggest win vs Sparty.

Indiana, Purdue, Maryland, Michigan and Iowa are all miles better than Illinois....keep in mind, this is an East Lansing based writer and Illinois had their biggest win vs Sparty.

Agree with this.....Give me 2 to 1 odds Rutgers finishes ahead of Illinois and I would take it. You need more than talent to win.

2017-18 Penn State went 9-9 in B1G. A very good case study for Illinois.

Reactions: dkostus
Assuming we play 4 quad 1 opponents out of conferenxe next year in SHU, Gavitt, ACC and one more tbd. If we can go 2-2 in those games and take care of the rest of our OOC games and then go 10-10 in conference I think thats a tourney recipe. That would put us at 18-12 (10-10). Obviously in those 10 conference wins wed have to do more than just beat to doormats.

The Athletic checks in ($ required for the whole thing but I'll quote the Rutgers part)

They could make the dance … or they could totally not
10. Indiana

11. Penn State

12. Rutgers

Indiana failed to make the NCAAs with two All-Big Ten players, including one who could be a lottery pick, and it is losing both of those players. However, the Hoosiers have the highest-rated incoming recruit in the conference in McDonald’s All-American and 6-9 forward Trayce Jackson-Davis, and they have some reason to help good health could be a game-changer for them. Jerome Hunter, a 6-7 wing who was IU’s second-highest rated recruit behind Romeo Langford, missed all season with an undisclosed leg condition. Point guard Rob Phinisee suffered a concussion in late December, and even though he returned, he wasn’t himself until late February. Healthy versions of those two could make a major difference.

Penn State didn’t win a game in January, but stunned Michigan and Maryland in February and was one of the league’s more dangerous teams down the stretch. The Nittany Lions lose Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year Josh Reaves, but forward Lamar Stevens most likely will be back after testing the NBA Draft waters, and the All-Big Ten pick can make the Lions dangerous on his own. Guards Rasir Bolton and Myles Dread give them an experienced backcourt and center Mike Watkins would give them a presence in the middle if he also returns.

No one in the conference brings back more and lost less than Rutgers. The Scarlet Knights don’t get the benefit of the doubt because, well, they’re Rutgers, but there are some real pieces in Piscataway. Center Shaquille Doorson is the only starter they lose. Forward Eugene Omoruyi and guard Geo Baker are both back after averaging double-figure scoring, and the Scarlett Knights ranked fourth in the Big Ten in rebounding margin.

Out of control with Illinois as 2.

I agree and think #2 is too high but I can see them finishing near the top 3rd of the conference. They return 3 studs and have and 10th best Freshman center in the country coming in along with the 4th ranked recruiting class in the conference right now. I also read they lead for Milon, a good shooting grad transfer guard who played at BC and William & Mary. Underwood is a helluva a coach and is turning that program around quicker than I thought he would.

Last edited:
Assuming we play 4 quad 1 opponents out of conferenxe next year in SHU, Gavitt, ACC and one more tbd. If we can go 2-2 in those games and take care of the rest of our OOC games and then go 10-10 in conference I think thats a tourney recipe. That would put us at 18-12 (10-10). Obviously in those 10 conference wins wed have to do more than just beat to doormats.

We have to start getting a win against the top 4.

I know what you're saying but there aren't enough doormats in the B1G to win 10 games. Win 10 and you're beating some quality teams.

You never know if there are 2-3 teams that forever reason do much worse than expected. You never know if you face teams at the right time (or wrong time). Personally I'd put more chips on the 5 bet than the 10 bet, but you never know. I don't think there any automatic wins. I doubt we are favored by more than 8 in any B1G game.

Can Baker and Eugene become top tier big ten players? Pretty sure they already are..just a question of whether guys like Harper and Johnson can be.

Can Baker and Eugene become top tier big ten players? Pretty sure they already are..just a question of whether guys like Harper and Johnson can be.
I think Harper makes a big jump next year. He'll eventually be our best player by the time he's a senior.

Reactions: patk89
Agree and disagree. Yes, Geno and Geo are really good, but they are not Cassius Winston good. They are not Carsen Edwards good. That’s how I interpret top tier. The best of the best. It’s really just semantics, but I can see what you’re saying.

Reactions: bac2therac
Agree and disagree. Yes, Geno and Geo are really good, but they are not Cassius Winston good. They are not Carsen Edwards good. That’s how I interpret top tier. The best of the best. It’s really just semantics, but I can see what you’re saying.

I know this is off topic.....don't sleep on Purdue next year. Losing Eifert and Cline (along with Edwards) is huge. I think the remaining parts aren't bad. Edwards hogged the ball last year.

Purdue was ranked #4 in offensive efficiency last year so to say they can improve next year without Edwards would be silly. Don't be surprised if they don't fall more than a tick next year. We are going to find out Eastern and Trevion Williams are actually very good players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT