ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone making the trip to see RU at USC in October?

UCLA has 3 hotels that are bargains fur students, faculty, alumni in Westwood.

They are bargains if they meet your needs. I'm an alum. Be glad to help @MrsScrew.

L

Last edited:
Reactions: MrsScrew
one other thing too--even though not playing UCLA, Pasadena is a lot of fun, is very nice and clean with a huge amount of options for lodging and dining, lots to see and do. Very cool place that I'm actually heading out to literally right now for my birthday dinner :) not crazy far from USC either, straight freeway shot.

Reactions: RUinPAC10land
one other thing too--even though not playing UCLA, Pasadena is a lot of fun, is very nice and clean with a huge amount of options for lodging and dining, lots to see and do. Very cool place that I'm actually heading out to literally right now for my birthday dinner :) not crazy far from USC either, straight freeway shot.
Happy Birthday Patrick. I'm your classmate or Targum colleague Josh's uncle.

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Pasadena in 2016 and it was great. Pasadena is a nice place to stay with activities and restaurants. Great thought from @PatrickRU92

It all depends on your threshold for people acting insane in Downtown and in public transit. It is much worse than NYC. However, I personally can deal with it just fine. You can stay Downtown and take transit to the stadium if that's what you want. But for most people in this thread who are 40+ and/or already live in the NJ suburbs and drive everywhere, get a car. If you're younger, and or are used to living in a city, it's a legitimate option.

Will definitely be there. Went to the LA Coliseum the last 2 years for the NASCAR race in February (yes they pave a temporary oval race track inside the stadium). Both were two of the most fun weekends I’ve ever had. Agree with above, forget the stadium besides the game itself (and take an Uber or Lyft there, way easier than worrying about finding parking). Stayed one time inland Chino Hills area amazing hiking, and another time in Playa Vista near Marina Del Rey, which was also an amazing time. Cant go wrong near the coast.

We are!
Planning on doing a road trip back driving LA-Huntsville to hit a bunch of states we haven't been to yet.

@PatrickRU92 how safe is Koreatown these days? I booked a hotel (Normandie) which had good reviews & was within a reasonable distance from the stadium.
It’s like, ok.

LA road trip home.and yes, he can sleep a long time...

Need to get to NM, OK, La, MS, AL. Arkansas won't be on the list this time But I have your number if things change!

SHEEEEEEEEEEEEIT.

Stay near a beach. Granted its more expensive but its worth it to be near the water IMHO. Santa Monica or down in South Bay (Manhattan Beach/Hermosa Beach , look for air b n b's ) . If not into beach towns then I'd stay in Beverly HIlls or Beverly HIlls adjacent . I personally would not stay near downtown. someone mentioned the JW Marriott which is nice and is in LA Live (which is the retail area around Staples center oops I mean crypto.com arena--will never get used to that) but its good for a night wouldn't stay several days there. Not much to do there as a tourist.

You're going to need a car under any circumstances so don't worry about staying near the Coliseum. LA is not a walkable city by any measure. Driving to the game on game day is not going to be a 3 hour deal like I think many people fear. Traffic on the weekends sucks but its nothing like weekday rush hours.

Pasadena also good
Patrick and others. I booked my flight but haven't made any accommodations yet. I live in Manasquan and have spent a lifetime of summer weekends at the beach so water isn't as big an attraction for me. What are your thoughts on staying in Hollywood? I'm not against your suggestions but was thinking Hollywood is close to a lot of fun stuff. Or is it too gritty/touristy for your taste?

Patrick and others. I booked my flight but haven't made any accommodations yet. I live in Manasquan and have spent a lifetime of summer weekends at the beach so water isn't as big an attraction for me. What are your thoughts on staying in Hollywood? I'm not against your suggestions but was thinking Hollywood is close to a lot of fun stuff. Or is it too gritty/touristy for your taste?
Hollywood is better than downtown IMHO. Its still not really the "nicest" area of LA but there is plenty to do if you are a tourist. Still would make sure you have a car though. There are some very cool lodging options in Hollywood and good places to eat as well. Catch a movie at the Chinese theater thats a very LA experience

Its not for everyone but West Hollywood is a good option. NIcer than Hollywood, has a great "downtown" area and you won't be accosted by some fat dude dressed up as Iron Man lol.

As far as the beach goes, the water itself isn't the attraction (hell I rarely go in --the Pacific is COLD) but the beach towns themselves in LA are the draw. To me those are uniquely L.A. and not at all like Jersey shore towns.

Too crowded and loaded with the homeless. Koreatown is probably better than Hollywood, but Pasadena is loaded with great restaurants. Make sure you check out King Taco. There is nothing like it in the East Coast. Their hot sauce is amazing.

I’m planning on making the trip.

As of right now it sounds like I’ll be spending time with some San Diego friends and then cruising up to the game from there

10240748.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: RUScrew85
Let's pay up for the beach. I'd like to see the Pacific again.
You’re coming to one of the most expensive places in the country. Plan on spending some money. Any reasonable hotel room is going to cost $450 a night. Minimum.

Reactions: RUScrew85
You’re coming to one of the most expensive places in the country. Plan on spending some money. Any reasonable hotel room is going to cost $450 a night. Minimum.

I just found a beachfront VRBO...4 BR/4Bath $3000/night.
Trying to figure out who we like well enough to spend three nights in a house with 🤣🤣

Would be great. Only thing is it’s pretty far from SC. I rented a house on the water for a long weekend one time. The waves were really loud crashing under the house. I didn’t sleep for 3 days. Couldn’t understand how people lived like that. But maybe this house is off the beach.

• Haha
Would be great. Only thing is it’s pretty far from SC. I rented a house on the water for a long weekend one time. The waves were really loud crashing under the house. I didn’t sleep for 3 days. Couldn’t understand how people lived like that. But maybe this house is off the beach.

Speaking of waves - are the unusual waves in CA and NJ related?
I read in CA the blame is being put on "King Tides" but it seems odd NJ is getting huge waves at the same time. I believe Pacific waves are better coming in from westerly direction and Atlantic waves are worse going easterly so it seems weird to see such big waves in NJ

.https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/30/weather/california-oregon-waves-flooding-saturday/index.html

Speaking of waves - are the unusual waves in CA and NJ related?
I read in CA the blame is being put on "King Tides" but it seems odd NJ is getting huge waves at the same time. I believe Pacific waves are better coming in from westerly direction and Atlantic waves are worse going easterly so it seems weird to see such big waves in NJ

.https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/30/weather/california-oregon-waves-flooding-saturday/index.html
No, just typical swells, or at least created typically. Size is a bit unique especially in NJ. We got these big ones once or twice a year.

Reactions: ashokan
Found the Sheraton over in San Gabriel at a reasonable rate.
The hotel looks good and got decent reviews.

Well for the record, I called dibs on the couch of @PatrickRU92 YEARS ago (whether he remembers or not - LOL). So I know I am the top of that list. Again, whether he remembers or not. 🙂
Not so fast, my friend. At the Insight Bowl party @PatrickRU92 drunkenly promised me the couch if we ever made it to the Rose Bowl, so I think that counts, lol.

Need to figure a few things out, but some friends are going, too, so I'm leaning that way, especially since I haven't been to LA or Cali since 1992. Spent a week there for a conference and really liked LA, especially the Hollywood area (lots of cool bars and music venues back then) and Santa Monica, but I'm sure things have changed in 30 years! My wife flew out at the end of that week and we then did the PCH drive up the coast over 2 days and spent a week in the Bay Area.

Reactions: PatrickRU92
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT