ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone making the trip to see RU at USC in October?

R1766U

Senior
Jan 17, 2014
NJ
Thinking about it myself. Maybe a long weekend. Figured would be good to have a thread of tips/ideas for those traveling. Wondering what the RU turnout will be!

Reactions: ScarletDave
We are!
Planning on doing a road trip back driving LA-Huntsville to hit a bunch of states we haven't been to yet.

@PatrickRU92 how safe is Koreatown these days? I booked a hotel (Normandie) which had good reviews & was within a reasonable distance from the stadium.
An LA road trip? Can JD sleep that long?
if your travels will bring you to Little Rock area, be sure to come visit! We have a guest room for you.

An LA road trip? Can JD sleep that long?
if your travels will bring you to Little Rock area, be sure to come visit! We have a guest room for you.
LA road trip home.and yes, he can sleep a long time...

Need to get to NM, OK, La, MS, AL. Arkansas won't be on the list this time But I have your number if things change!

Then we'll do it all over again in couple of years for our first trek to The Rose Bowl. Granted, it's not to play in the GAME, itself, but nonetheless!

30 odd years ago an old college roommate working in LA got ahold of his employers tickets to USC - UCLA in the Rose Bowl. I and a couple of Easterners were offered the weekend on him if we got ourselves out there. This was Troy Aikmsn's senior year. Quite a game and quite a site. And he had built a beer pong table that rested on the hood of his car, so we introduced SoCal to beer pong at the tailgate. Marcus Allen and OJ on the sideline.

Definitely worth doing once.

Last edited:
Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Then we'll do it all over again in couple of years for our first trek to The Rose Bowl. Granted, it's not to play in the GAME, itself, but nonetheless!
I would love to see all three LA stadiums in a weekend. Last year in late Sept, UCLA played at Rose Bowl on Fri night, USC at the Colosseum on Sat and the Dodgers played on Sun.

Definitely making the 100 mile drive. Long trip for me will be UCLA at RU with my daughter and friend.
See, it works both ways.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
We are!
Planning on doing a road trip back driving LA-Huntsville to hit a bunch of states we haven't been to yet.

@PatrickRU92 how safe is Koreatown these days? I booked a hotel (Normandie) which had good reviews & was within a reasonable distance from the stadium.
its OK. not the best not the worst. won't tell you what to do but if I was visitor I'd stay elsewhere and not worry so much about stadium proximity. There are way more fun areas of LA to stay in.

its OK. not the best not the worst. won't tell you what to do but if I was visitor I'd stay elsewhere and not worry so much about stadium proximity. There are way more fun areas of LA to stay in.
I'm open to suggestions. We are all counting on you to point us in the right direction!!

Thinking about it myself. Maybe a long weekend. Figured would be good to have a thread of tips/ideas for those traveling. Wondering what the RU turnout will be!
Hoping to go, but i have a family bar mitzvah in akron the weekend before. Maybe too much with a little one

We are!

If you want to have fun and can spend a bit, the Lowes santa Monica or even better and more $, Shutters at the beach are great choices. Albeit a 45 minute drive from the stadium

If you want to have fun and can spend a bit, the Lowes santa Monica or even better and more $, Shutters at the beach are great choices. Albeit a 45 minute drive from the stadium

Since we are turning this into a 10 night trip I don't want to go nuts with hotel costs, but LA will likely be the most expensive place we stay

We spent the weekend in LA two weeks ago and were narrowed down to Santa Monica/Marina Del Rey and Beverly Hills. Ended up in BH for the sightseeing proximity, but would second staying near the cost if you can swing it.

Since we are turning this into a 10 night trip I don't want to go nuts with hotel costs, but LA will likely be the most expensive place we stay
If you have amex platinum, i think Shutters participates, which could get you a free night

I'm open to suggestions. We are all counting on you to point us in the right direction!!
Stay near a beach. Granted its more expensive but its worth it to be near the water IMHO. Santa Monica or down in South Bay (Manhattan Beach/Hermosa Beach , look for air b n b's ) . If not into beach towns then I'd stay in Beverly HIlls or Beverly HIlls adjacent . I personally would not stay near downtown. someone mentioned the JW Marriott which is nice and is in LA Live (which is the retail area around Staples center oops I mean crypto.com arena--will never get used to that) but its good for a night wouldn't stay several days there. Not much to do there as a tourist.

You're going to need a car under any circumstances so don't worry about staying near the Coliseum. LA is not a walkable city by any measure. Driving to the game on game day is not going to be a 3 hour deal like I think many people fear. Traffic on the weekends sucks but its nothing like weekday rush hours.

Not even sure what I'm going to do on gameday with parking haven't looked that far ahead but I'm sure its do-able.

@MrsScrew if want to email me or talk hmu anytime (or any of my fellow RU peeps for that matter!)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT