ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone making the trip to see RU at USC in October?

Reserved Hotel downtown by Union Station for 2 nights. May stay in San Diego for 2 nights before and Surfliner up. Other option is to spend a few nights in Santa Barbara wine country & take train down. Do not plan on having a car in LA.

Not so fast, my friend. At the Insight Bowl party @PatrickRU92 drunkenly promised me the couch if we ever made it to the Rose Bowl, so I think that counts, lol.

Need to figure a few things out, but some friends are going, too, so I'm leaning that way, especially since I haven't been to LA or Cali since 1992. Spent a week there for a conference and really liked LA, especially the Hollywood area (lots of cool bars and music venues back then) and Santa Monica, but I'm sure things have changed in 30 years! My wife flew out at the end of that week and we then did the PCH drive up the coast over 2 days and spent a week in the Bay Area.
Hmmm.

I think I might have asked him before that on here. But it was as long time ago. Who knows.

Maybe we can spoon.

Stay near a beach. Granted its more expensive but its worth it to be near the water IMHO. Santa Monica or down in South Bay (Manhattan Beach/Hermosa Beach , look for air b n b's ) . If not into beach towns then I'd stay in Beverly HIlls or Beverly HIlls adjacent . I personally would not stay near downtown. someone mentioned the JW Marriott which is nice and is in LA Live (which is the retail area around Staples center oops I mean crypto.com arena--will never get used to that) but its good for a night wouldn't stay several days there. Not much to do there as a tourist.

You're going to need a car under any circumstances so don't worry about staying near the Coliseum. LA is not a walkable city by any measure. Driving to the game on game day is not going to be a 3 hour deal like I think many people fear. Traffic on the weekends sucks but its nothing like weekday rush hours.

Not even sure what I'm going to do on gameday with parking haven't looked that far ahead but I'm sure its do-able.

@MrsScrew if want to email me or talk hmu anytime (or any of my fellow RU peeps for that matter!)
I would stay in San Diego at Mission or Pacific beach and drive up for the game. This way by default you always got the beach scene to occupy your mornings and evenings. Always been my philosophy when visiting SC

Wife and I are thinking of going out for this. The next week is our 30th anniversary so we could celebrate with a long weekend in LA.

I like the idea of staying near the beach.

Reactions: RU848789
Made all the arrangements today. Looking forward to it, even more because I think we’ll be pretty good next year.

OK. Cancelled my Koreatown reservation and just booked us into the Santa Monica Hilton.

looking at flights next
Great call. You are close to the freaks in Venice and a great drive up PCH through Malibu. Plenty of great ocean front restaurants.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
We’re going to stay in Santa Monica and take the Metro to the game. Then follow that up with a week or so hitting the wineries and beaches along the central coast. We still belong to a bunch of Santa Barbara County wine clubs. It will be our own Sideways.
More details on Metro and places to stay?
thats a 3 hour drive for sure.
Can you help with what Mike from MD said immediately above- is this a good option? Or is driving to Rose Bowl no problem from Santa Monica.

Dammit, I have that Everclear song stuck in my head- Santa Monica!

More details on Metro and places to stay?

Can you help with what Mike from MD said immediately above- is this a good option? Or is driving to Rose Bowl no problem from Santa Monica.

Dammit, I have that Everclear song stuck in my head- Santa Monica!
you mean the Coliseum not the Rose Bowl

Driving from SM to the Coliseum is really not a big deal on a Saturday afternoon (?morning) but there is a "new" metro line . Honestly I've never used mass transit in LA, like ever.

Most Angelenos have not.

Reactions: Knight Shift
you mean the Coliseum not the Rose Bowl

Driving from SM to the Coliseum is really not a big deal on a Saturday afternoon (?morning) but there is a "new" metro line . Honestly I've never used mass transit in LA, like ever.

Most Angelenos have not.
Thanks. Whoops on location. Got the Rose Bowl in my head for some reason, and I would have been sitting there in October wondering where everyone was.

We like to hike and mountain bike. Thinking of Topanga Canyon. Seems the directions all send you back through Santa Monica (Route 27), and it adds about 25 mins. Any thoughts on Topanga Canyon for 3 nights?

Thanks. Whoops on location. Got the Rose Bowl in my head for some reason, and I would have been sitting there in October wondering where everyone was.

We like to hike and mountain bike. Thinking of Topanga Canyon. Seems the directions all send you back through Santa Monica (Route 27), and it adds about 25 mins. Any thoughts on Topanga Canyon for 3 nights?
Topanga is a very long road! I think you mean down by the ocean and not up in the Santa Susanna range . I'm a huge hiker. There is good hiking there yes (checkout Will rogers st park--not super strenuous but nice payoff view of the coast) A short but very steep and HIGHLY rewarding (view wise) hike is Pt Mugu which is up the Pacific coast Hwy in Malibu. . Santa Monica is the best place to stay for those.

The best hiking to be had in LA-- BY FAR-- is in the San Gabriels (best point of entry is near Pasadena/ LaCanada-Flintridge on the map). For this better off staying in Pasadena. There are more hikes in this area than I can possibly list here but if you want some good ones I think I know most of them. The peaks are quite high for being so close to ocean. If you want I can give you my email to answer specifics.

Not a mounatin biker so I can't help you with that part!

Great call. You are close to the freaks in Venice and a great drive up PCH through Malibu. Plenty of great ocean front restaurants.
lol Venice used to be great!!!!!!

I agree with Manhattan Beach that Patrick said. Could always go North as well and drive down! Lots of great beach towns

Topanga is a very long road! I think you mean down by the ocean and not up in the Santa Susanna range . I'm a huge hiker. There is good hiking there yes (checkout Will rogers st park--not super strenuous but nice payoff view of the coast) A short but very steep and HIGHLY rewarding (view wise) hike is Pt Mugu which is up the Pacific coast Hwy in Malibu. . Santa Monica is the best place to stay for those.

The best hiking to be had in LA-- BY FAR-- is in the San Gabriels (best point of entry is near Pasadena/ LaCanada-Flintridge on the map). For this better off staying in Pasadena. There are more hikes in this area than I can possibly list here but if you want some good ones I think I know most of them. The peaks are quite high for being so close to ocean. If you want I can give you my email to answer specifics.

Not a mounatin biker so I can't help you with that part!
I'm thinking up near the Will Gear Theatricum Botanicum up at 1419 Topanga Canyon Blvd. We really love hiking (and me mountain biking), and looking at that area, it looks good, although a bit further from Santa Monica. Too far?

Reserved Hotel downtown by Union Station for 2 nights. May stay in San Diego for 2 nights before and Surfliner up. Other option is to spend a few nights in Santa Barbara wine country & take train down. Do not plan on having a car in LA.

If you're going to be staying in that area, you're going to be really close to Chinatown, Little Tokyo, and Olvera Street (Mexican food). Also Philippe's is right there and is a very popular deli with locals. I used to work in an office building a couple blocks from Union Station.

Reactions: JavaDunk18
NU plays USC Nov 16th this year. I started working on a trip a couple weeks ago with the intent of it being a golf football outing. Haven’t got to play Spyglass or Pebble beach yet so I thought would get two birds stoned at once(some will get this some won’t). They make you stay at the resort if want guaranteed tee times with a 3 night minimum. Long story short, 36 holes of golf figures to $210 per hole. Not sure that’s gonna happen.
I do appreciate all that have given hotel advise for the football part. Think I will book where Mrs Screw did.

Reactions: MrsScrew
I plan to attend. My “go to” hotel is the Ritz-Carlton in Marina Del Rey. Not far from the Coliseum. Great area for walking around and you can even walk to Venice Beach easily. Quick drive to Santa Monica.

It could be pricey for a USC home game. (Looks like the cheapest rooms are $785 - $900 with a marina view.)

• Haha
Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
I plan to attend. My “go to” hotel is the Ritz-Carlton in Marina Del Rey. Not far from the Coliseum. Great area for walking around and you can even walk to Venice Beach easily. Quick drive to Santa Monica.

It could be pricey for a USC home game. (Looks like the cheapest rooms are $785 - $900 with a marina view.)

yikes.

Makes me feel better about my 3 night/$1200 reservation at the Santa Monica Hilton though. Walk to the beach & the pier. Walking distance to a bunch of restaurants too

Found the Sheraton over in San Gabriel at a reasonable rate.
The hotel looks good and got decent reviews.

Probably not the closest spot. If it was me, I'd check out the West Hollywood hotels. Fairly easy to get to SC from there and nightlife is abundant. A little further away is the Hotel Bel Air and in between is the Beverly Hills Hotel. Last two are the best hotels in LA imo.

My favorite hotel in the W. Hollywood area is a sort of chic rock n roll hotel called the Sunset Marquis. Great spot.

Reactions: PatrickRU92
My brother lives in LA and I'll be staying with him for the long weekend. Will be dragging him and possibly my nephew along for the game.

Reactions: MrsScrew
yikes.

Makes me feel better about my 3 night/$1200 reservation at the Santa Monica Hilton though. Walk to the beach & the pier. Walking distance to a bunch of restaurants too

To be clear, I have not booked that. But it is unusually steep (in my experience).

Santa Monica Hilton sounds like a great price and location.

Not where I'd stay but it's fine. For a hike, paseo miramar, nearly at the end of sunset near pch. Drive up, stay right, park at end. Go up then out ridge trail. Sierra club used to do sunset hike when the moon was bright

Probably not the closest spot. If it was me, I'd check out the West Hollywood hotels. Fairly easy to get to SC from there and nightlife is abundant. A little further away is the Hotel Bel Air and in between is the Beverly Hills Hotel. Last two are the best hotels in LA imo.

My favorite hotel in the W. Hollywood area is a sort of chic rock n roll hotel called the Sunset Marquis. Great spot.

Safe to say to stay out of Compton?

Actually just changed to the Santa Monica Hilton. The location looks great and a short walk to the Beach. Also a train station nearby that we can take directly to the Coliseum.

I'm paying $765 for an AirBnB in West Hollywood for four nights. Studio with a kitchen. 4.95 out of 5 stars and 300+ reviews so feel good about it. Will definitely need to rent a car though.

Alot of RU fans will be at the Santa Monica Hilton.

I have lived in Santa Monica for the last 40 years, and always enjoyed seeing the Big10 fans in town for the Rose Bowl. It will be great to see Rutgers fans here next fall. Plenty of good bars and restaurants to go around.

Just booked same hotel. We are trying to map out a cross country road trip from NC to CA to NC or maybe NJ. We are looking at all the National Parks we can visit. Looking at about a 3 week road trip.

LA road trip home.and yes, he can sleep a long time...

Need to get to NM, OK, La, MS, AL. Arkansas won't be on the list this time But I have your number if things change!

I'm paying $765 for an AirBnB in West Hollywood for four nights. Studio with a kitchen. 4.95 out of 5 stars and 300+ reviews so feel good about it. Will definitely need to rent a car though.

Alot of RU fans will be at the Santa Monica Hilton.
That’s probably as good a deal in the area that you can get.

Reactions: LeapinLou
Thanks been there already, Definitely will hit Carlsbad Cavern and Joshua Tree. Then wherever else I’m told to go,

QUOTE="PatrickRU92, post: 6636729, member: 404"]
Death Valley NP ftw.
[/QUOTE]

Anyone know anything about the Courtyard Santa Monica at 425 Colorado Ave? Looks like there is public transit across the street...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT