ADVERTISEMENT

B12 Expansion Is A GO

meh , gotta look out for yourself or you could be left out in the cold. we were rivals with lehigh for a long time or something like that lol
D*mn, I miss those games.[roll]
I thought college sports was about keeping the amateur status? Now they're pros? That's how I see the pod setup and college playoffs of the haves against the have nots.

From the words of Dennis Dodd. Is there any college football writer that is more wrong on issues than this guy? Go back and read his articles over the past month. His GPA is 0.00

"Big 12 expansion also has the smell of the Big Ten's expansion to Rutgers and Maryland. That was a fall-back move after commissioner Jim Delany failed in his attempt to get some combination of Georgia Tech, North Carolina and Virginia from the ACC."

D*mn, I miss those games.[roll]
I thought college sports was about keeping the amateur status? Now they're pros? That's how I see the pod setup and college playoffs of the haves against the have nots.

I imagine it would be something like a this one, our pod is the below, and every year we would play one out of the other 3 pods- osu/mich pod, theres the texas/neb pod, and then theres the iowa/wisky pod

RU
PSU
UVA
UNC
UMD

top winners from each pod get a home playoff, then theres wildcards 2 playoffs games then the conference title.

From the words of Dennis Dodd. Is there any college football writer that is more wrong on issues than this guy? Go back and read his articles over the past month. His GPA is 0.00

"Big 12 expansion also has the smell of the Big Ten's expansion to Rutgers and Maryland. That was a fall-back move after commissioner Jim Delany failed in his attempt to get some combination of Georgia Tech, North Carolina and Virginia from the ACC."
Being a d*ck is easy, being a smart and respected is hard- Dennis Dodd
Perception is the driving force behind a lot of how we see things.

Reactions: RURM85
What is the likelihood that one of the conferences disappears. If the Big 12 adds 4 why would Texas and Oklahoma stay? They would make a boatload more in any other conference.

Being a d*ck is easy, being a smart and respected is hard- Dennis Dodd
Perception is the driving force behind a lot of how we see things.

dodd is the same idiot who said right before the big 12 meetings that expansion was dead and no expansion talks where going on.

Dennis Dodd ‏@dennisdoddcbs Jul 18
For all you expansion nuts, the focus of tomorrow’s @Big12Conference has clearly shifted. It’s about Baylor presentation to board.

lol what an idiot

What is the likelihood that one of the conferences disappears. If the Big 12 adds 4 why would Texas and Oklahoma stay? They would make a boatload more in any other conference.

there is a good chance there will be 4 power conferences, and the leftovers in the big 12 will merge with the acc/pac 12 after the big ten and sec take who they want (texas, oklahoma, etc)

I think the best option for B12 is to take memphis and BYU, if 4 teams then add UCF and CSU.

However this is the B12 we are talking about so they are likely to pick Youngstown State and Incarnate Word.

Initial reports make it sound like ND will stay independent or have to join ACC for all sports. I doubt that. If/when ND joins a conference, the TV $ all change. I hate ND, but It's reality. If ND joined ACC for all sports, UConn would not be 16th team. That would be a game changer and ACC would get a much bigger name. Bigger than BIG poaching Maryland
I have a hunch by reading Okies CR board on Landthieves that the ACC actually thinks they can pull Texas with a ND like deal !?! Who knows in this crazy climate? That wouldn't leave UConn in a good place?? Maybe a revamped B12?

Exactly. Which probably means Texas, and maybe OU, have given their two week notice. All this is a result of the amount of $$$$ the B1G will be pulling down soon.

Fall back move? Is the guy serious or that stupid? NYC/NJ Media market a back up plan!?! lol at his obvious agenda!!

I hate to admit it but ND is such a big fish that they could probably tell the ACC who they want to bring, could be someone they want to keep history with, like Navy

I also think this is a possibility because Navy is very important to them because of the past relationship with Navy (Google). Also, it would get the ACC back into Maryland.

I think if Notre Dame does join a football conference it will be the ACC Conference (contract bound until 2035). If they were going to join the ACC Conference before 2035, I am sure they would want to say who the 16th member would be. However, an incentive could be that Notre Dame joins in conjunction with Texas when Big 12 GOR's expire (LHN will be combined into the ACCN). ESPN may already looking at something like this and will have to provide financial compensation to make it happen.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

I also think this is a possibility because Navy is very important to them because of the past relationship with Navy (Google). Also, it would get the ACC back into Maryland.

I think if Notre Dame does join a football conference it will be the ACC Conference (contract bound until 2035). If they were going to join the ACC Conference before 2035, I am sure they would want to say who the 16th member would be. However, an incentive could be that Notre Dame joins in conjunction with Texas when Big 12 GOR's expire (LHN will be combined into the ACCN). ESPN may already looking at something like this and will have to provide financial compensation to make it happen.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
I would imagine that Notre Dame has some out clauses built into that ACC contract.

Reactions: eceres and MozRU

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
I don't see Texas joining the ACC, regardless of an ND type deal. It's a reverse WVU but they did that with no options and are now an eastern outpost of the conference. I don't see the reason for Texas to be a western outpost of the ACC when they have plenty of options including staying put.

I like this guy's take that aims at 16 teams in all the power conferences.. he also moves some teams.. like WVU to the ACC

ESPN linky
Big Ten
East Division
Cincinnati

gross_no_thank_you_supernatural.gif

I don't see Texas joining the ACC, regardless of an ND type deal. It's a reverse WVU but they did that with no options and are now an eastern outpost of the conference. I don't see the reason for Texas to be a western outpost of the ACC when they have plenty of options including staying put.

As I stated before, I believe Texas will leave when the LHN and Gor's expire. I think they will go B1G,Pac-12 or ACC in that order. The Big 12 is thinking of adding maybe 4 (AAC or BYU) schools to make their Conference more marketable for the next contract???? I think the other Big 12 members suspect Texas and Oklahoma (others) will be leaving and are actually hoping they will still be considered a P5 Conference with more back filling.

See what happens.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Reactions: MozRU

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Why would Texas give up LHN for a little less money and no control of its product? Texas isn't use to sharing. No way the ACC has more pull than the Big 12 who has given Texas everything they asked for since 1996. That ACC GOR is one reason Texas would balk. The Big 12 GOR allows Texas to keep LHN within the framework of the Big 12. No other conference is willing to such. Not even the Pac 12 was willing to give in to Texas and everyone thought that was all but a done deal. Texas has a way of burning bridges.

Last edited:
http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ege-football-fans-and-realignment-chaos/?_r=0

fivethirtyeight-0919-geocolfootball-topTV-blog480.png

According to SI:

The leaders in the clubhouse for Big 12 expansion remain BYU, Cincinnati and Connecticut. The next tier includes South Florida, Central Florida, Memphis, Colorado State, Houston, Boise State and Tulane. If the league does add four schools, there’s really no standout candidate for that fourth slot. (Houston has the best program and television market of available schools, but there’s still some hesitancy within the state of Texas to allow the Cougars to use the Big 12 to potentially leap over current members). Schools like Temple, San Diego State and Northern Illinois don’t really have a chance, but will give it a shot anyway. “They’re going to open it up like an auction,” one Big 12 source said. “They don’t want it to be like they’re out there soliciting schools.”

And Gary Parrish of CBS tweeted that Memphis big donors are very confident.

I'm terms of TV DMA size:

#9 Houston 2,373,700 (Houston)
#19 Orland/Daytona Beach 1,489,710 (UCF)
#28 San Diego 1,055,030 (SDSU)
#30 Hartford/New Haven 944,250 (UConn)
#34 Salt Lake City 884,900 (BYU)
#36 Cincy 868,900 (Cincy)

#50 Memphis 636,140 (Memphis)

Why post DMA size and then leave out:

#11 Tampa/St. Pete 1,859,820 (USF)

I don't see the appeal of UCF and really expect USF to be a top 25 team this season, while UCF again wallows in the bottom of the AAC. UCF also won the mythical ESPN Bottom 10 Championship last season. (Glad we aren't on that list anymore)

USF also has a better overall athletics program:

Directors Cup Standings:
#65 USF
#140 UCF

As I stated before, I believe Texas will leave when the LHN and Gor's expire. I think they will go B1G,Pac-12 or ACC in that order. The Big 12 is thinking of adding maybe 4 (AAC or BYU) schools to make their Conference more marketable for the next contract???? I think the other Big 12 members suspect Texas and Oklahoma (others) will be leaving and are actually hoping they will still be considered a P5 Conference with more back filling.

See what happens.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
I thought that before they would leave when the LHN contract expires but I'd put it at 50/50 upon rethinking it. They could just do some tiered revenue sharing for any new media deals when the LHN contract runs out. That way they still get to rule the B12 roost and not fall behind financially. They have the leverage to do it if they wanted, it's not like the others can refuse because the conference falls apart without them and OU to a lesser degree. It's just a step further than what they're essentially doing now when they decided to keep all LHN revenue rather than pool the conference members rights into one package.

So if I had to rank in terms of probability I'd put the PAC12 or staying put equal at 1, SEC or B10 at 2, ACC at 3.

I know some people like to hate on Rutgers.

But BTN was able to sign up all cable companies in NJ and NYC in record breaking time. Faster than Maryland and Nebraska and Penn State.

All before we play a single game in the Big Ten.

Reactions: Scarlet Shack
Furthermore Rutgers scored the biggest rated game ever on BTN in thr NYC TV Markets within weeks of being in the Big Ten.

That was all while having an under performing team under a terrible HC.

Just imagine what we can do with a good team!

Reactions: AntiG
BYU and Cincy if I had to choose.

I agree with you and mentioned this yesterday. I think they get Memphis and either UCF or Houston (provided the Texas schools permit them) if they go to 14. The American will then replace those three losses with FAU, FIU, and North Texas. I am glad RU is in the B1G.

I thought that before they would leave when the LHN contract expires but I'd put it at 50/50 upon rethinking it. They could just do some tiered revenue sharing for any new media deals when the LHN contract runs out. That way they still get to rule the B12 roost and not fall behind financially. They have the leverage to do it if they wanted, it's not like the others can refuse because the conference falls apart without them and OU to a lesser degree. It's just a step further than what they're essentially doing now when they decided to keep all LHN revenue rather than pool the conference members rights into one package.

So if I had to rank in terms of probability I'd put the PAC12 or staying put equal at 1, SEC or B10 at 2, ACC at 3.

That is the reason I think Oklahoma is already contemplating their next move because they are feed up with Texas (LHN or revenue sharing) and like Nebraska,Texas a&m,Colorado and Missouri will finally leave.

That will leave Texas as ruler of a C-USA type Conference (14 member Big 12 with 4 more AAC type mouths to feed) and at the next contract negotiations the per team payout will probably fall substantially. Couple the loss per year per team coupled with significant revenue sharing for Texas to approach B1G team $$$$. The Big 12 will be the lowest paid conference and revenue sharing will just make it all the worse. Teams that can leave will aka Oklahoma. If that happens Texas alums may not want to be apart of what is perceived to be a C-USA type even with revenue sharing.

Speculation.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Reactions: cicero grimes
I think the best option for B12 is to take memphis and BYU, if 4 teams then add UCF and CSU.

However this is the B12 we are talking about so they are likely to pick Youngstown State and Incarnate Word.
I think you are on the money except substitute Cincinnati for Memphis.

That is the reason I think Oklahoma is already contemplating their next move because they are feed up with Texas (LHN or revenue sharing) and like Nebraska,Texas a&m,Colorado and Missouri will finally leave.

That will leave Texas as ruler of a C-USA type Conference (14 member Big 12 with 4 more AAC type mouths to feed) and at the next contract negotiations the per team payout will probably fall substantially. Couple the loss per year per team coupled with significant revenue sharing for Texas to approach B1G team $$$$. The Big 12 will be the lowest paid conference and revenue sharing will just make it all the worse. Teams that can leave will aka Oklahoma. If that happens Texas alums may not want to be apart of what is perceived to be a C-USA type even with revenue sharing.

Speculation.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
OU tried once already without Texas and were rejected by the PAC12. That was with Ok. State too. Do we know that they won't have Ok. State chained around their leg and who will take OU alone or both without Texas along for the ride.

Furthermore Rutgers scored the biggest rated game ever on BTN in thr NYC TV Markets within weeks of being in the Big Ten.

That was all while having an under performing team under a terrible HC.

Just imagine what we can do with a good team!
But hey, there are idiots still running to the hills screaming Rutgers s*cks and no one watches them. We can't let facts get in the way of perception because you know the saying, "If I say it enough, then it must be true."

Even if ND can have a say in who would be the 16th ACC school, it wouldn't be Navy, since Navy would never be able to commit to running a major basketball program and bball is too important to the ACC. I could see Temple getting the slot before Navy does. Aside from UConn, there really aren't many other feasible candidates out there, especially if Cincy is off to the B12 soon.

Texas leaves for the Big Ten

-San Diego State ( San Jose or Fresno State) are added from California

-UCF and USF are dded from Florida.

-Memphis and Tulane are added from the SEC region

Cincinnati would make the 16th team

24/7 Coast to Coast College Football from morning to midnight
Isn't this a reconstruction of the original WAC conference?

OU tried once already without Texas and were rejected by the PAC12. That was with Ok. State too. Do we know that they won't have Ok. State chained around their leg and who will take OU alone or both without Texas along for the ride.

Actually I think the SEC would have an interest and they would only make the conference more powerful.
If I were to speculate that is where I see Oklahoma heading (back with their buddies Texas a&m and Missouri). The SEC may also consider Oklahoma State as the 16th member.
That would probably start the process toward 16 member Conferences. If Oklahoma/Oklahoma State leave I am not sure Texas will want to remain in the already weaked Big 12 conference.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
Even if ND can have a say in who would be the 16th ACC school, it wouldn't be Navy, since Navy would never be able to commit to running a major basketball program and bball is too important to the ACC. I could see Temple getting the slot before Navy does. Aside from UConn, there really aren't many other feasible candidates out there, especially if Cincy is off to the B12 soon.

I personally would like to see Uconn as the 16th member of the ACC.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

The B12 should add Rice, SMU, Houston and Arkansas. They should jettison all the teams from the old Big 8. They could call the new conference the Southwest Conference and UT could again be king.

Reactions: Alaska_Dawg
Why post DMA size and then leave out:

#11 Tampa/St. Pete 1,859,820 (USF)

I don't see the appeal of UCF and really expect USF to be a top 25 team this season, while UCF again wallows in the bottom of the AAC. UCF also won the mythical ESPN Bottom 10 Championship last season. (Glad we aren't on that list anymore)

USF also has a better overall athletics program:

Directors Cup Standings:
#65 USF
#140 UCF
It's called an oversight. Be thankful I included any & just add to it. I couldn't care less about USF OR UCF

If you go to UConn's site (boneyard.com) that is what they are saying, it's to the ACC and they are pretty sure about it. They believe ND will be forced to join the ACC with the recent Big 12 announcement and the ACC will need a 16th member (UConn) to complete the move. Plus, they are saying the ACC wants to put the final nail in the coffin of the B1G/Rutgers for the rights to the NYC market.
What nail in coffin? The ACC NYC market is getting farther in the distance, not closer.

Yeah, the new B1G payday sucks for the B1G. Yeah, that's it. Dodd is an idiot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT