ADVERTISEMENT

B12 Expansion Is A GO

Not really. Unless buffalo all of a sudden became a hot bed for local HS talent, hired the hottest young name in coaching, expanded their stadium, had unlimited money, AND boosters crazy enough to play the recruiting game with no shame. Look at what Baylor accomplished by going lawless......imagine Houston. Lol

Texas can just steal their HC if things get to hot and heavy. What happens when Herman leaves? The same thing that happen to Texas A&M when Johnny drunk-alot left, back to being middle of the road.

Texas can just steal their HC if things get to hot and heavy. What happens when Herman leaves? The same thing that happen to Texas A&M when Johnny drunk-alot left, back to being middle of the road.
people said Texas could just steal Baylor's coach as well......then he said no thanks. I get Texas is Texas but if Houston goes P5 there isn't really a reason to leave. You have all the tools you need to win and a lot more realistic expectations. It's not like Herman went to UT. He was a GA there for one season.
As for A&M, I get your overall point but they were 8-5 both years since his departure. They were 9-4 his senior year so it's not like they tanked

Agree with Oldtimer that this notion that all conferences will move to 16 members is pure nonsense based on nothing more than fantasy. Not every school/ conference combination adds value.

Texas Governor says no expansion without Houston. Might as well re-name the Big 12 Conference the Texas Only Members Conference. So glad dear old Rutgers is not caught up in this mess

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...overnor-greg-abbott-houston-cougars/87389168/
Well there you go. This is what I refer to when I talk about OSU possibly being chained to OU and Texas' little brothers being chained to it. I mean Houston isn't even in the conference and Texas/OU haven't left anywhere and already a local politician is poking his nose. I wouldn't have even expected it in this situation, lol. If they were leaving I could have envisioned it but while staying and expanding they're even butting in.

Reactions: RURM85
Houston makes zero sense. They add no new TV market and only dilute Texas recruiting. BYU is a no brainier especially if for football only. My next two obvious choices(in no order) have to be UCF and Cinci although I can see the strong argument for Fed Ex money. However, they would have to contractually agree to huge upgrades in their football facilities.

First of all, UT already has to recruit against Houston, just like it recruits against Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma, OkState, etc. Houston does at least solidify the southeast Texas TV markets and keep anyone else (except the SEC) out. UCF? Small market in Orlando that they don't even control, USF is in a much bigger market in Tampa. Cinnci? What market do they bring? Ohio? They aren't even highly rated in Cincinnati. OSU completely dominates that market. Finally, the Big12 members like the geographic integrity of their conference, that is why they voted for Houston and BYU. Makes sense for them to do it.

[roll][roll] Looks like the Texas U president got the message from the gov...LOL...a shitshow indeed!!! So delicious, it must be fattening!!!

Unless Texas knows full well that Houston doesn't have the votes, then they just staged an out for any expansion going forward. Lots of crazy possibilities with this conference.

First of all, UT already has to recruit against Houston, just like it recruits against Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma, OkState, etc. Houston does at least solidify the southeast Texas TV markets and keep anyone else (except the SEC) out. UCF? Small market in Orlando that they don't even control, USF is in a much bigger market in Tampa. Cinnci? What market do they bring? Ohio? They aren't even highly rated in Cincinnati. OSU completely dominates that market. Finally, the Big12 members like the geographic integrity of their conference, that is why they voted for Houston and BYU. Makes sense for them to do it.
you sound like a Cuse fan complaining about us. It doesn't matter if Cinci controls a market or if anyone watches them. It matters if they can deliver subscribers. Same goes for UCF and Orlando.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Outside of the box, a bit, but what about this:

Houston/BYU, then Memphis, Cincinnati and Temple -- it's a 3 school block around WVU, Temple would bring good basketball and a lot of potential eyeballs. If they wanted to go for stability and adding value to a TV contract, it might not be bad.

They're also considering federated memberships (they missed how well that worked in the Big East), so maybe they bring in BYU football only.

Houston/BYU, then Memphis, Cincinnati and Temple -- it's a 3 school block around WVU, Temple would bring good basketball and a lot of potential eyeballs. If they wanted to go for stability and adding value to a TV contract, it might not be bad.

They're also considering federated memberships (they missed how well that worked in the Big East), so maybe they bring in BYU football only.

Their TV contract won't go up, so that part won't really matter.

you sound like a Cuse fan complaining about us. It doesn't matter if Cinci controls a market or if anyone watches them. It matters if they can deliver subscribers. Same goes for UCF and Orlando.

I think the points are the same. They can't deliver subscribers.

cable boxes. you do realize we didn't get into the B1G because of 2006 and and Birmingham Bowl win?
Yes I know why we got into the B1G, but we are discussing the Big 12.
Point is that the Big 12 has no interest in such things because there is no Big 12 Network and their most popular member has it's own network, so the whole thing is a non-starter.

Yes I know why we got into the B1G, but we are discussing the Big 12.
Point is that the Big 12 has no interest in such things because there is no Big 12 Network and their most popular member has it's own network, so the whole thing is a non-starter.
No offense but I don't think you are thinking this through. The NCAA already gave them a waiver to have a Championship game. There are exactly zero(maybe 1) programs available that would create any type of buzz or excitement by adding them. If those are both truths then why other besides TV money and a potential launch of a network would they be doing this?

The reason Boren wanted expansion was he thought it would bring money on 2 fronts.

1st there is the pro rata money FOX & ESPN are required to pay the conference if it expands. By adding 4 teams the B12 gets an increase of around $100MM/yr. They can then payout the 4 new schools a much smaller share & spread the remaining $75MM or so over the 10 current members.

The 2nd source was Boren was of the belief that expansion would allow the B12 to create a network. This was the homerun he was looking for. He believed that the B12 could create a network that would kick off ridiculous revenues ala the BTN & SECN. When they were told that their was no interest in anyone paying for a network all of their plans of grandeur died. IMO, the conference decided to table expansion plans based upon the no network decision. Since there are only 8 years left on the contract, why piss off your network partners by forcing them to pony up the pro rata add when you need them to bid on your next contract?

Then ESPN turned around and announced the ACC network. This made it very clear to the B12 that ESPN had chosen the ACC over them.

At this point, the B12 says screw it and decides to add 4 & grab all the pro rata money they can. ESPN has already chosen sides. The early reports of the new B1G deal indicate that FOX will provide preference to the B1G over the B12 when it comes to scheduling and channel placement so why not take the short term money grab.

The real key, again IMO, will be whether an extension of GOR is a part of all of this. If there is none, which is what I think, it's a clear indication that UT & OU have begun seeking a new home when their deal expires

The reason Boren wanted expansion was he thought it would bring money on 2 fronts.

1st there is the pro rata money FOX & ESPN are required to pay the conference if it expands. By adding 4 teams the B12 gets an increase of around $100MM/yr. They can then payout the 4 new schools a much smaller share & spread the remaining $75MM or so over the 10 current members.

The 2nd source was Boren was of the belief that expansion would allow the B12 to create a network. This was the homerun he was looking for. He believed that the B12 could create a network that would kick off ridiculous revenues ala the BTN & SECN. When they were told that their was no interest in anyone paying for a network all of their plans of grandeur died. IMO, the conference decided to table expansion plans based upon the no network decision. Since there are only 8 years left on the contract, why piss off your network partners by forcing them to pony up the pro rata add when you need them to bid on your next contract?

Then ESPN turned around and announced the ACC network. This made it very clear to the B12 that ESPN had chosen the ACC over them.

At this point, the B12 says screw it and decides to add 4 & grab all the pro rata money they can. ESPN has already chosen sides. The early reports of the new B1G deal indicate that FOX will provide preference to the B1G over the B12 when it comes to scheduling and channel placement so why not take the short term money grab.

The real key, again IMO, will be whether an extension of GOR is a part of all of this. If there is none, which is what I think, it's a clear indication that UT & OU have begun seeking a new home when their deal expires

This is what I think happened. I don't believe they all of a sudden found out that, "Hey, we missed it, but Cincinnati and UConn are actually worth $10 million extra a year!" As you said, they basically threw a Hail Mary after they found out about the ACC network. I'm guessing they don't extend the GoR, because most of the other leagues that extended their GoR did so to align with a new TV contract or network.

Reactions: Panthergrowl13

I think this as well. Will add that schools in this conference may be thinking that if 2 or more schools decide to leave for green pastures when the current contact is up or before, due to possibilities such as the next TV negotiations doesn't go well, by expanding by 4 schools now, there may be some semblance of a conference left standing as opposed to having your mates scrambling to find homes because there's not enough schools left in the conference or next man up approach a la AAC. In other words planning for best of the rest ahead of time as opposed to what we saw with the demise of the old Big East. A thought and it could be an incorrect one.

Reactions: eceres

Your first point is similar to that tiered revenue sharing I mentioned, but I'd put OU/Texas on top of that pyramid. I was thinking for further down the line with new tv deals but what you suggests sounds plausible as well. It doesn't just have to be a short term grab, it can be a long term one as well where Texas/OU put themselves on a pedestal above the others and take a larger share.

As to the extension of the GOR, I don't know. Even if there isn't an extension I couldn't say for sure that Texas and to a lesser degree OU will be looking for new homes. That same chain of Texas' little brothers and OSU still is an issue with or without a GOR. I mean the Texas governor is making a stink about expansion without Houston even. Texas isn't even leaving the conference and a local politician is intruding already for a school not in it. Just imagine if they do and OU to a lesser extent how will the local politicians react and what kind of roadblocks would they put up. Hearing that kind of rhetoric makes me think they're more stuck in the conference than not regardless of the existence of a GOR.

If what you wrote
"Because of Rutgers was added to the Big Ten."
means what I think it means, I don't know how it was a response to my comment

I may have misread your comment then.

BTN would have never been added to basic tier without Rutgers and it happen in record breaking time.

None of the leftovers can do anything like that for the B12.

No offense but I don't think you are thinking this through. The NCAA already gave them a waiver to have a Championship game. There are exactly zero(maybe 1) programs available that would create any type of buzz or excitement by adding them. If those are both truths then why other besides TV money and a potential launch of a network would they be doing this?
Texas and/or OU leaving.

Brilliant. Temple would bring those home football crowds of 15,000 fans to the Big 12.

I understand the only way GOR gets extended is with an extension on TV deal.

What if ESPN/FOX say they don't want to pay the pro rata increase for 4 G5 schools? Instead they offer to pay more to the current B12 now along with an extension as long as the GOR goes with it. UT keeps their LHN & OU is in the best position they could be in without having to leave.

Is that what happens? Probably not but we all know that UT is going to do what's best for them & OU may not have the options that some think they have so, you never know.

Texas Governor and Lt Governor put the pressure on UT to support adding Houston and the conference is considering adding either 2 or 4.

I think what will happen in the end is Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati and BYU (football only).

The B12 will add 2 teams. Houston and BYU. Any other additions add no value and will reduce members shares. Even though the NCAA gave them a championship game at ten teams, 12 teams makes it legitimate. There is not one other reason why they would add more teams. And, no, they do not care about a geographic partner for WVU. The WVU addition was a mistake they won't admit, and they won't make it worse by doing it again.

Texas Governor and Lt Governor put the pressure on UT to support adding Houston and the conference is considering adding either 2 or 4.

I think what will happen in the end is Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati and BYU (football only).

With all these Texas shenanigans that go on, why would anyone want to see UT in the Big Ten? They destroy everything they touch.

Reactions: Scarlet16E
The B12 will add 2 teams. Houston and BYU. Any other additions add no value and will reduce members shares. Even though the NCAA gave them a championship game at ten teams, 12 teams makes it legitimate. There is not one other reason why they would add more teams. And, no, they do not care about a geographic partner for WVU. The WVU addition was a mistake they won't admit, and they won't make it worse by doing it again.

Im pretty sure they would add WVU again if they are now considering a 5th Texas school (cant believe UT is considering this) and BYU. What they do regret is not adding Louisville. I kind of wonder why Texas is so content in that conference unless they also have their strings pulled. It didnt seem to hold A&M back.

While this maybe financially unrealistic due to prohibitive costs, I wonder if WVU would think about trying to become the 16th team in the ACC if the need for one arises. Their current situation is better than being in the AAC but they remain a geographical outlier of major proportions. Now that the ACC has the network deal could they value the overall strength of the WVU program more than a territorial addition provided by UConn?

The big 12 is in trouble any way you slice the thanksgiving turkey

Oklahoma is the key to keeping the big 12 together and Texas knows this

Texas wants to rule their kingdom but Oklahoma is the one that can move on and Texas will be forced to decide what they want

I think this is Larry Scott's move if he can sell it to his group ....get Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma state and Kansas...

The original pac-8 in the north
The south is five of the big 12 schools (Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma state, Kansas and Colorado) plus Arizona, Arizona state and Utah

Question is does the pac12 schools want it?

Legit question as they have no competition within so they are strong solid but do they want to expand their borders for financial

They have a tough call...

The way I see it. Four schools, BYU, UH, Cinci, and Memphis. BYU (sure in), UH (political - ala VT/UVA), Cinci (Big12 have visited school months ago - just my gut feeling), and Memphis (FedEX money). Just my shot in the dark.

Reactions: MozRU
The big 12 is in trouble any way you slice the thanksgiving turkey

Oklahoma is the key to keeping the big 12 together and Texas knows this

Texas wants to rule their kingdom but Oklahoma is the one that can move on and Texas will be forced to decide what they want

I think this is Larry Scott's move if he can sell it to his group ....get Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma state and Kansas...

The original pac-8 in the north
The south is five of the big 12 schools (Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma state, Kansas and Colorado) plus Arizona, Arizona state and Utah

Question is does the pac12 schools want it?

Legit question as they have no competition within so they are strong solid but do they want to expand their borders for financial

They have a tough call...

I'm sure the Arizona schools would jump at the idea of essentially joining half of the big 8 and losing a significant portion of their Cali footprint...yup I'm sure they are about to orgasm at the thought...

With all these Texas shenanigans that go on, why would anyone want to see UT in the Big Ten? They destroy everything they touch.
Because the B1G is not the B12 or SWC. Texas in those conferences is the top dog and the main reason those conferences had so much power. In the B1G, they would be just one of the 16 members.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT