ADVERTISEMENT

Bag Policy/water

Yes, you can bring in a bottle of water so long as it hasn't been opened. But you can't bring in any kind of cooler so I guess you have to have your hoagie in your hand. https://www.mlb.com/phillies/ballpark/information/code-of-conduct

Interesting. Other stadiums usually kick you out for that type of stuff.

Alicia Silverstone Cher Horowitz GIF by Filmin

LOL, with our fans RU could give away free water and the fans would still vacate at half time.
If it’s a blowout going the wrong way, sure. That happens everywhere.

Good game or we’re winning, probably not so much.

Clear bag that meets Homeland Security Regulations. AFAIK, no outside water is allowed. I usually wear cargo type shorts or a loose fitting shirt and and tuck a couple of extra waters in my waistband. Never had a problem.

Funny thing, we sit in the club, and there are loads of free sweetened drinks available, but no freaking water. I drink water and no sweetened drinks. I do what I have to do.

There may be an exception on water policy if you have a medical reason. One time after my kidney surgery, I showed my water and my scar and the guy waved me through, probably because he was disgusted by my scar. 😂
They have water in the club section and have so since day one. It's available via the soda machines. You have to look closely, there is a small tab that says water which normally shares the same fountain with Sprite or Lemonade.

Example (look at the tab under the Minute Maid foundation):

does-a-soda-fountain-use-tap-water.jpg.webp

Last edited:
Reactions: RutgersNo1
They have water in the club section and have so since day one. It's available via the soda machines. You have to look closely, there is a small tab that says water which normally shares the same fountain with Sprite.
Perhaps that's standard in Rutgers' soda machines -- the one in the cafeteria at Rutgers-Camden is the same.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Perhaps that's standard in Rutgers' soda machines -- the one in the cafeteria at Rutgers-Camden is the same.
I think that's pretty common with all soda machines, but definitely the norm at Rutgers!

I actually remember exactly when they changed the policy. It was the 2016 season, right after the terrorist hid bombs in Seaside Heights, Manhattan, and Elizabeth? train station garbage bins. If my memory serves, water bottles were banned immediately thereafter, and by the 2017 season that included outside food as well.

The fact that the language in the policy (referencing horsesh*t DHS guidelines that have no basis in logic or consistency with many other venues as the reason) is largely unchanged since then tells me that the immediate 'safety concern' was used as an excuse to permanently eliminate outside food/drink in the hopes of boosting concession revenues.

The additional fact that us diehards/season ticket holders actively and openly discuss how we are able to bring multiple water bottles and snacks into the stadium anyways, as well as the hot-weather debacles the past 2 seasons with people passing out from dehydration, is indicative of how this issue has been mishandled, and arguably serves to piss off ticketholders more than raise revenue for the program.

Last edited:
I actually remember exactly when they changed the policy. It was the 2016 season, right after the terrorist hid bombs in Seaside Heights, Manhattan, and Elizabeth? train station garbage bins. If my memory serves, water bottles were banned immediately thereafter, and by the 2017 season that included outside food as well.

The fact that the language in the policy (referencing horsesh*t DHS guidelines that have no basis in logic or consistency with many other venues as the reason) is largely unchanged since then tells me that the immediate 'safety concern' was used as an excused to permanently eliminate outside food/drink in the hopes of boosting concession revenues.

The additional fact that us diehards/season ticket holders actively and openly discuss how we are able to bring multiple water bottles and snacks into the stadium anyways, as well as the hot-weather debacles the past 2 seasons with people passing out from dehydration, is indicative of how this issue has been mishandled, and arguably serviced to piss off ticketholders more than raise revenue for the program.
Yes, penny-wise and pound-foolish. Even having adequate concessions wouldn't justify the policy: CBP has excellent concessions but allows water and food in clear bags.

We were in Disney World in August and they let us bring in water bottles and containers for water.

If they can allow that in Disney of all places, Rutgers can allow it. Just an asinine policy that some clown follows and everyone just nods heads in agreement because there are 1,000 other problems at RU unfortunately.
I thought the same when somebody said Met Life allows waters in. Just RU doing stupid RU.

Can I bring a clear backpack into the stadium? The website only lists clear tote bag. Appreciate any help.

You are flaunting the privilege of the lower concourse. Those of us like @e5fdny and I, who choose the upper deck, do not have the luxury of a water fountain.
I was talking about JMA. I sit in 300's and walk down. Not sure of SHI.

Today I bought a bottle of water and Red Scarlet Ale. Gotta support RU and NIL.

Last edited:
They have water in the club section and have so since day one. It's available via the soda machines. You have to look closely, there is a small tab that says water which normally shares the same fountain with Sprite or Lemonade.

Example (look at the tab under the Minute Maid foundation):

does-a-soda-fountain-use-tap-water.jpg.webp
And you can get carbonated water as well. I was blessed a few times to invited to the club.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
the stadium has water fountains . I assume they all work and have to meet some type of code. Anyone ever drink from them or fill up bottles?
I never have
I could not locate any water fountains on the East side. I believe they removed them. I believe that a public facility like SHI should be required to have fountains. I remember many seasons ago they shut off the fountains on a 90+ degree day. the fan base let them hear about that.

Reactions: ldwnmas
I could not locate any water fountains on the East side. I believe they removed them. I believe that a public facility like SHI should be required to have fountains. I remember many seasons ago they shut off the fountains on a 90+ degree day. the fan base let them hear about that.
The building code requires a water fountain for every 1000 headcount in a stadium. If they are missing or off a complaint to DCA will get an inspection.

I don't really use them but will pay attention next time there.

The building code requires a water fountain for every 1000 headcount in a stadium. If they are missing or off a complaint to DCA will get an inspection.

I don't really use them but will pay attention next time there.

Really? what building code? Because I will march my butt wherever I need to go to get a damn water fountain upstairs.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
Really? what building code? Because I will march my butt wherever I need to go to get a damn water fountain upstairs.
On Saturday I'll walk the place and see what they have. If they have nothing to rope people into paying for water I will 100% inquire about how they are avoiding the requirements. You CAN NOT force people to face dehydration because they have no $. I know they pulled this crap with the Covid nonsense but they must provide water now. Same as toilets. I was the guy doing exactly this inspection a few years back.

Reactions: MrsScrew
On Saturday I'll walk the place and see what they have. If they have nothing to rope people into paying for water I will 100% inquire about how they are avoiding the requirements. You CAN NOT force people to face dehydration because they have no $. I know they pulled this crap with the Covid nonsense but they must provide water now. Same as toilets. I was the guy doing exactly this inspection a few years back.

I think they used to be able to give cups of tap water for free. I asked for a cup of Ice on Saturday to go with my $5 water & was told they no longer have cups or ice.
My only option on the upper concourse is paying the $5 or sticking my head in the bathroom sink & drinking warm tap water (because the bathroom sinks don't have cold water)

I think they used to be able to give cups of tap water for free. I asked for a cup of Ice on Saturday to go with my $5 water & was told they no longer have cups or ice.
My only option on the upper concourse is paying the $5 or sticking my head in the bathroom sink & drinking warm tap water (because the bathroom sinks don't have cold water)
Drinking water can not be supplied in the restrooms. The International Plumbing code (which covers NJ) requires a water fountain for every 1000 occupants in a stadium and no more than 500ft to one (I believe, don't quote). Water supplied free in a cup of some kind can fulfill 1/2 of the requirement I think. I searched every document covering Shi stadium facilities I could find. NOT ONE talks about what and where drinking water is available. 100% not OK. The folks running the stadium are making believe there is no requirement. I think they are just bullshitting people and getting away with it until now. There will be hundreds if not thousands of youth football players from less affluent areas this weekend.
I would bet that there is a water option they make believe doesn't exist. I'll find out what it is soon if I can. If I can't I will get an answer from the Department of Community Affairs at some point.

• Love
Reactions: MrsScrew
Drinking water can not be supplied in the restrooms. The International Plumbing code (which covers NJ) requires a water fountain for every 1000 occupants in a stadium and no more than 500ft to one (I believe, don't quote). Water supplied free in a cup of some kind can fulfill 1/2 of the requirement I think. I searched every document covering Shi stadium facilities I could find. NOT ONE talks about what and where drinking water is available. 100% not OK. The folks running the stadium are making believe there is no requirement. I think they are just bullshitting people and getting away with it until now. There will be hundreds if not thousands of youth football players from less affluent areas this weekend.
I would bet that there is a water option they make believe doesn't exist. I'll find out what it is soon if I can. If I can't I will get an answer from the Department of Community Affairs at some point.
I certainly don't have your expertise, but a Google search seems to show that New Jersey follows the National Standard Plumbing Code, not the International Plumbing Code. https://greendrains.com/state-plumbing-codes/ The NSPC can be found at: https://epubs.iapmo.org/NSPC/NJ2021/ I have no idea if this makes a difference.

Reactions: Knight Shift
while not RU stadium, I remember the year we played wash st in seattle, I went to the seahawks opening day game while in town. They had big official team festivities just outside the stadium in honor of prior year superbowl win and i got some autographed pics of some former players. I didnt want to mess them up so i put them in a tiny plastic bag (a white translucent bag you get from CVS or takeout food). The security wouldnt let me in the stadium because it wasnt a 100% clear bag even though only thing in it was the autographed photos. I took the photos out of the bag and held them in my hand, crumpled bag and put in my pocket and NOW they let me inside. Sometimes the guards are just not the top of the common sense totem pole.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT