ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten non-conference scheduling for 23-24, a running thread of scheduled games

Big Ten (2/14): Nebraska, Rutgers

ACC (2/15): Duke, NC State
American Athletic (6/14): Charlotte*, Florida Atlantic*, USF, Tulane, Tulsa, UTSA*
Big 12 (1/14): Cincinnati
Big East (2/11): DePaul, Georgetown
MW (2/11): Air Force, Fresno State
Pac-12 (2/12): California, Oregon State
SEC (4/14): Kentucky, Missouri, South Carolina, Vanderbilt
WCC (5/9): Loyola Marymount, Pacific, Portland, San Diego, San Francisco

There are more openings than name schools left to fill those slots. There are a couple tourny slots left that I wouldn't mind seeing us take a chance in.

Reactions: Local Shill
To me, this Orlando one would be the perfect one to be in for us for several reasons: multiple games against opponents that shouldn't destroy our metrics, the field isn't completely overwhelming, a chance for Florida alums to come out and support the team, and a chance for NE fans to make a trip to Florida.

Its rather embarrassing reading who some BIG Ten teams will be playing as out of conference oponents while Rutgers fails to get a tournament invitation,
Didn’t our strength of schedule, NET and KenPom rankings go up considerably this year over last year, and we didn’t get in this year, as opposed to last year?

BTW - I want us to schedule harder.

We get a lot of invitations, Pike up to this point will not play in them.

Pike’s past refusal to play in tournaments is well-known. Tournament organizers do contact RU but they know that Pike still doesn’t have any genuine interest. He’s down the list of who organizers call and they don’t waste much time on him with it.

Reactions: William J. Leggett
It’s a disservice to the players and the fanbase.
Meh. They play a 20 game Big Ten schedule. We played 25 power conference teams last year. 23 if you don't want to count the Big Ten tournament. In 2011 (under Rice) we played 21 before the BE tourney and 23 including the tourney. In 2009 (under hill) we played 19/20. I picked these years at random.

Our overall SOS was #49 on Kenpom, and #46/#48 on TRank. This is really not the issue you guys make it out to be.

Meh. They play a 20 game Big Ten schedule. We played 25 power conference teams last year. 23 if you don't want to count the Big Ten tournament. In 2011 (under Rice) we played 21 before the BE tourney and 23 including the tourney. In 2009 (under hill) we played 19/20. I picked these years at random.

Our overall SOS was #49 on Kenpom, and #46/#48 on TRank. This is really not the issue you guys make it out to be.
They enjoy complaining. It’s what they do.

That's because you're logical. The selection committee is not, however, and believes non-con SOS is important.

Just stop playing so many teams ranked in the 300s and I'll be happy.

Reactions: bac2therac

Steve is right and the other 13 coaches in the conference are wrong.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: bac2therac
Steve is right and the other 13 coaches on the conference are wrong.
No? You do realize that’s not what I said right? I said “not a significant benefit or detriment”, i.e. not that he’s right and they’re wrong but that what he is doing is fine and what they are doing is also fine. Even if it is hurting us it’s way way down the list of important factors.

Also you overstate the level to which other teams aren’t doing this. NC SOS from last year (Kenpom)

Michigan St #36
Nebraska #96
Wisconsin #136
Purdue #138
Michigan #160
Iowa #239
Ohio St #241
Indiana #266
Maryland #278
Northwestern #291
Penn St #304
Illinois #324
Rutgers #338
Minnesota #345

Are we near the bottom? Obviously. Are we some huge outlier? Obviously not. There are 4 teams there with a NC SOS over 300 and 7 (half the conference) with one over 250.

I do not prefer Pike’s scheduling, but it’s not a ridiculous theory of scheduling either.

No? You do realize that’s not what I said right? I said “not a significant benefit or detriment”, i.e. not that he’s right and they’re wrong but that what he is doing is fine and what they are doing is also fine. Even if it is hurting us it’s way way down the list of important factors.

Also you overstate the level to which other teams aren’t doing this. NC SOS from last year (Kenpom)

Michigan St #36
Nebraska #96
Wisconsin #136
Purdue #138
Michigan #160
Iowa #239
Ohio St #241
Indiana #266
Maryland #278
Northwestern #291
Penn St #304
Illinois #324
Rutgers #338
Minnesota #345

Are we near the bottom? Obviously. Are we some huge outlier? Obviously not. There are 4 teams there with a NC SOS over 300 and 7 (half the conference) with one over 250.

I do not prefer Pike’s scheduling, but it’s not a ridiculous theory of scheduling either.
Please dont use kenpom for sos

The committee uses NET

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT