ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Standings/Tournament Scenario Generator

Very hard to imagine Nebraska winning 2x this week to get to 7 wins, so I think 12th is worst case realistic scenario.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Very hard to imagine Nebraska winning 2x this week to get to 7 wins, so I think 12th is worst case realistic scenario.

Agreed. I also don't see Ohio State losing to NW so 7 is probably out of reach as well. I personally don't mind finishing 11 and going through 6 Iowa and 3 Michigan State, after beating up on 14 Northwestern.

Reactions: ScarletDave
Agreed. I also don't see Ohio State losing to NW so 7 is probably out of reach as well. I personally don't mind finishing 11 and going through 6 Iowa and 3 Michigan State, after beating up on 14 Northwestern.
Or just get a bye. You can’t lose if you aren’t playing

Reactions: RUnTeX
Is it just me or would we rather be the 10 seed than the 8 or 9?

I would rather potentially face a banged-up MSU or Michigan (no Matthews) than Purdue.

We've played Purdue close at home/neutral I guess but the two blowouts really stick with me.

Reactions: ScarletDave
We did almost beat Purdue last year in the tourney, but I agree, they’re the only team I’m really afraid of. If we can stay at 10 and the path goes OSU-> MSU, making the final 4 of the big ten is not anything crazy talk ....

So I was thinking the same thing. Not "wouldn't mind" but would the extra game (Very winnable vs NW) HELP us win an extra game to get in the NIT. IN other words does it help us to split our last two games and beat NW & Iowa, then lose to Mich st or split both BUT get a bye because of how others fare this week and only beat one team and lose the next game (So 2-2 in last 4 vs 3-2). Does the extra game help a bit for the NIT... Of course ideally you iwn them all, I know I know

That's pretty good.. I adjusted a few games..

-Rutgers winning out puts us 8th playing Illinois and then Purdue.. ouch
-Rutgers beating PSU but not Indiana puts us 11 or 12.. I forget.. but we play that extra game.
-Rutgers losing to PSU but beats Indiana puts us 10th.. and we avoid Purdue's bracket.

there are still just too many possibilities.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
So if I did this correctly, for Rutgers to get the bye in the BTT (finish 10 or better), one of the following scenarios needs to apply:
  • We need to win at least one more game and for Indiana to lose one game. This can be accomplished by Rutgers beating Indiana, or Rutgers beating PSU and Illinois beats Indiana.
  • If we beat PSU, and Indiana beats both Illinois & Rutgers, then we want Illinois to lose to PSU.
  • If we lose both games, there is a possibility to get the bye depending on the right combination of tie-breakers with Indiana and Nebraska.
I don't think there is a scenario to avoid the bye in which we beat PSU, Indiana beats Illinois & Rutgers, and Illinois beats PSU (while losing to Indiana). In that case Rutgers, Illinois, and Indiana all have 8 wins and we lose the multi-way tie breaker.

Reactions: Wolv RU
Let’s just win both remaining games and TAKE the bye.

Nebraska and NW are probably locked in to 13 and 14, and Illinois has the tiebreaker over us because they beat us head to head. Now, if Indiana or PSU beat us, that team will have the tiebreaker because, despite the 1-1 head to head record, those teams have the tiebreaker because they have wins over the top teams.

I would rather win both remaining games and lose in the “second” round of the BTT (after achieving the bye for the first round) than split the remaining games and then win an 11-14 matchup in the first round. A 9-11 conference record would be an incredible achievement.

Reactions: dkostus
The best path to playing on Saturday in Chicago is finishing in the 11 spot (as suggested by others here). I think we all like the Northwestern matchup. We have handled Iowa. Then Michigan State is beat up and we can definitely play with them.

What we don’t want is anything to do with Purdue. But to play them as an 8/9 means we had a heck of a year.

Bottom line, I’m jacked up for the Tournament.

We cannot fall behind Nebraska since we're 2 up and own the tiebreaker.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT