ADVERTISEMENT

Buzz Williams to Texas A&M

BigEastPhil

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2007
Per Rothstein. Buzz is a mover. Just when you think he’s set at a school such as Marquette or V Tech, he hops on the next bandwagon. Guess he follows the Benjamin’s. He reminds me of Curly from 3 Stooges.

Last edited:
He is a Texas native, so this was obviously a different deal, when a prime job opens in your home state....

Reactions: gregkoko
Per Rothstein. Buzz is a mover. Just when you think he’s set at a school such as Marquette or V Tech, he hops on the next bandwagon. Guess he follows the Benjamin’s. He reminds me of Curly from 3 Stooges.

He does look like Curly.

Kevin Willard will be in the mix for the Tech job.

I like seeing a very good coach go from the ACC to the SEC, since the ACC has long been considered to be a better basketball conference.

Willard has done a good to great job at SHU so this could be helpful to RU. As we're rising they could be going through a transition. And given the league and the pay level they're likely at any hire they make isn't going to be a guaranteed slam dunk (same for RU because we just don't pay that kind of money)

Get Danny Hurley from UConn. The ensuing meltdown from Storrs could power the Earth for a couple of decades.

A friend is an SHU season tixs holder and claims SHU now hates the Hurley’s claiming Senior would steer recruits away in support of Danny .... I’m not sure what the truth is ...

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Buzz made the right move from Marquette. There were things happening there that led to his decision to bounce. TAMU is Buzz Williams' dream job. He grew up about 3 1/2 hours from campus, and was an assistant there for a couple of years last decade. Buzz is a very good coach, and is a pretty damn funny dude when he's not coaching basketball.

Have heard Kevin Willard's name in connection with Virginia Tech opening.

Reactions: RU MAN
Did I hear right? Curly is getting 5.2 mil a year for 6 years? Holy cannoli. Offering that type of money, I can see why Curly left VPI.

If I'm Willard I leverage this for a nice extension at SHU and stay there which is what I think he does.
They are incredibly cheap at shu. I believe they have the second lowest basketball budget in the big east. Their fans are already talking about how 2.5 mil would be the max they should give. Yeah good luck with that.

The same fans think a certain salary in NJ is the same as the equal amount in Virginia, as if the cost of living doesn't matter at all. You want him? Offer more than v tech is offering.

Give him a couple more years on his deal and bump him to 2 million a year.

I've heard he's at 1.75 million a year.

If that isn't acceptable thank him for his services and move on would be my tact if I was the AD.

Private Schools and Public Universities are 2 different deals.

The new AD at A&M is impressive...getting first targets...no drama...no plan Bs...weird compared to previous ADs there!

It helps to be awash in $$$

Good times ahead!

Hey SHU, Mike Rice is available

I bet if/when Rice gets another shot he excels. I think he's learned his lesson. He's not like Bob Knight who never could acknowledge his ridiculous behavior was an issue.

Rice took full responsibility for his actions. You don't see that very often.

I also thought he handled the St Johns v RU tourney debacle with more class than any coach I've ever seen.

The new AD at A&M is impressive...getting first targets...no drama...no plan Bs...weird compared to previous ADs there!

It helps to be awash in $$$

Good times ahead!
He would have to be incredibly dumb not to get Buzz. The guy has made it known forever that TAMU is his dream job. Their phone conversation probably went like this:

*Phone rings*
Buzz Williams: Gig 'Em
Scott Woodward: Hi Buzz it's Scott Woodward. Is this a good time to...
Buzz Williams: Yes, I accept the job.
Scott Woodward: I haven't told you the salary
Buzz Williams: IDGAF

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT