ADVERTISEMENT

Can we all agree about “opening up the O”?

read option

All Conference
Nov 12, 2013
It’s just not us. Our game is ball possession, smash mouth, run it down your throat, impose our will, and wear you down type of football. And guess what… there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Our best WR is Dremel and it got to the point that he was being triple covered. Doesn’t it make sense to lean on KM and our underrated OL?

Plus as much as I’m pleased with GW’s overall improvement, he’s still too inaccurate and iffy with the football to ask him to do too much. He’s actually better with his legs as well.

Run, run, and run some more. Run it every opportunity we have and we beat MD, and possibly Iowa and/or PSU.

2024 might be different with GW’s continued improvement and potentially better WR play. But for now, run until we can’t run anymore.

Opening up the O is not an option when you have a QB that coaches lack confidence in and who lacks confidence in himself. He plays scared and is afraid to make mistakes. I applaud the coaches for how they have hid his flaws and limited potential for his mistakes this season.

It’s just not us. Our game is ball possession, smash mouth, run it down your throat, impose our will, and wear you down type of football. And guess what… there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Our best WR is Dremel and it got to the point that he was being triple covered. Doesn’t it make sense to lean on KM and our underrated OL?

Plus as much as I’m pleased with GW’s overall improvement, he’s still too inaccurate and iffy with the football to ask him to do too much. He’s actually better with his legs as well.

Run, run, and run some more. Run it every opportunity we have and we beat MD, and possibly Iowa and/or PSU.

2024 might be different with GW’s continued improvement and potentially better WR play. But for now, run until we can’t run anymore.
The OC is very limited in what he can call do to a very limited QB. So, there is nothing to open up. This is it, until you get a QB who isn't so limited. The team has gotten much better except for that limiting factor.

Opening up the O is not an option when you have a QB that coaches lack confidence in and who lacks confidence in himself. He plays scared and is afraid to make mistakes. I applaud the coaches for how they have hid his flaws and limited potential for his mistakes this season.
This is why I think we need move him around.. roll him out mostly ALL THE TIME. Have it work off play-actions where he might run it. I think standing in the pocket he is.. too stiff. He doesn't seem to use normal footwork in the pocket.. he seems to rely purely on his big arm.. and it is strong.. too strong without proper footwork to regulate his throwing motion... imo.

So, oddly, I think if he is moving he will use his legs more naturally.. and even look at more than one receiver.. I am probably wrong.. but I think he might be a completely different QB outside the pocket.

Fair and balanced post. Run until they stop us... maybe a pass here and there to keep 'em honest... not so much in the red zone, though.

The offense needs to open up, and it needs a QB capable of making that happen, which we may or may not have. Yes the offense was able to frequently play its type of game today--but it still scored very little and lost, and was unable to score inside the 5 yard line multiple times when it counted most. And even though this was Ohio State it remains to be seen if they can do the sane thing against everyone else remaining, lesser programs though they are. The O line might've really just played over their heads today. The same thing certainly did not happen against Michigan and Wisconsin.

Otherwise, they need to get a whole lot better in the red zone. If you don't have an offense capable of scoring much from 30 or 40 yards out then you better be great inside the red zone or you will be plodding systematically all the way down field just to score FGs--which is what happened.

Reactions: drewbagel423
The offense needs to open up, and it needs a QB capable of making that happen, which we may or may not have. Yes the offense was able to frequently play its type of game today--but it still scored very little and lost, and was unable to score inside the 5 yard line multiple times when it counted most. And even though this was Ohio State it remains to be seen if they can do the sane thing against everyone else remaining, lesser programs though they are. The O line might've really just played over their heads today. The same thing certainly did not happen against Michigan and Wisconsin.

Otherwise, they need to get a whole lot better in the red zone. If you don't have an offense capable of scoring much from 30 or 40 yards out then you better be great inside the red zone or you will be plodding systematically all the way down field just to score FGs--which is what happened.
We went away from the run inside the 10 yd line too easily. When we have a goal to go situation we should be running 4 times unless 4th down is from 3 yds or more out. Passing incomplete on 1st & goal from the 9 or 2nd & goal from the 6 just forces us to pass again, which is exactly what we should be avoiding.

And look at the pick 6 - we were running it down their throats and decide to get cute. We asked an inaccurate QB to squeeze a ball in a spot where even if completed, KM was going to get his head knocked off.

I understand what we theoretically want to be, but that’s not who we are (yet). Stick with what works right now and use the offseason to develop into who you want to be.

We went away from the run inside the 10 yd line too easily. When we have a goal to go situation we should be running 4 times unless 4th down is from 3 yds or more out. Passing incomplete on 1st & goal from the 9 or 2nd & goal from the 6 just forces us to pass again, which is exactly what we should be avoiding.

And look at the pick 6 - we were running it down their throats and decide to get cute. We asked an inaccurate QB to squeeze a ball in a spot where even if completed, KM was going to get his head knocked off.

I understand what we theoretically want to be, but that’s not who we are (yet). Stick with what works right now and use the offseason to develop into who you want to be.

Not exactly.
The run failed once we got to the goaline.

1st goaline: Pass, GW run, GW run, FG
2nd goaline: KM run, GW run, Pass, FG

The 3rd trip was all passes because we didn't have time to run it and run out the clock.
Maybe we shouldn't have used a TO but spiked the ball?

The INT came on 2nd and 7 from the 20 after a GW run.
Not exactly a risky spot to pass the ball.

Funny how when we run non-stop the calls for a "balanced offense" go out the window.

The OC is very limited in what he can call do to a very limited QB. So, there is nothing to open up. This is it, until you get a QB who isn't so limited. The team has gotten much better except for that limiting factor.
Exactly. The result is that we can only run a traditional Big Ten "three yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust" offense. Everybody else has gotten away from that because it doesn't work against modern pass-oriented teams that can score faster than a cloud-of-dust offense. As good as a defense is, it cannot always stop a passing attack.

I have not completely given up on Wimsatt. But he needs to acquire the decision-making skills required to run a modern offense.

Reactions: bac2therac
Not exactly.

The 3rd trip was all passes because we didn't have time to run it and run out the clock.

Funny how when we run non-stop the calls for a "balanced offense" go out the window.
Notice the pass mixed in there? Run it on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and you have a chance to run it on 4th for a TD. Zero yard incompletions kill TDs in goal to go situations.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about - really sad post.

Opening up the O is not an option when you have a QB that coaches lack confidence in and who lacks confidence in himself. He plays scared and is afraid to make mistakes.

Greg teaches lack of confidence - he hovers like a "smother mother."
I would hate to be a QB under Greg because he sees them as viruses

Compared to other B1G teams RU's WR are pretty medicore,
QBs like big targets and a 5' 8" guy is hard for QB to see when going long and having your players and others screening him out. Announcers made mention of fact Wimsatt likes throwing to WRs cutting into midfield. Its easier to lead them.

Imagine how much a WR like Harrison Jr would help with Gavin's high passes.
Dremel could never catch this pass

nNDc71D.gif

Last edited:
OL is ranked in top 10 for sacks allowed
Of course RU passes less but OL is still doing well

The RZ plays are so Playskool defenders see right through them
Announcers compared them to 70s style football where they ran simple plays and dared you to stop them.
On Dremel RZ pass, Ohio has 4 guys moving on Dremmel before Gavin even pivots

gA6h5i5.gif

QOFRXZC.gif

Notice the pass mixed in there? Run it on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and you have a chance to run it on 4th for a TD. Zero yard incompletions kill TDs in goal to go situations.
Did you watch the game?

We tried running it inside the 3 yard line and went backwards a few times.

We all were hoping for a miracle but we all knew going in that the chances were slim. We are getting close but do not have all the specialty pieces yet.

Imagine being a MD fan right now. Yikes....

We are bowling so deal with that. Oh that is right people now bitch about the destination.

Reactions: letitrip2
We need to pick up a kid in the transfer portal who can legitimately compete for the starting job next year if we want to take the next step up to the upper tier of the conference.

We need to pick up a kid in the transfer portal who can legitimately compete for the starting job next year if we want to take the next step up to the upper tier of the conference.
Exactly, QB in the portal should be able to see that Rutgers is a QB away from being a very good team. I‘m afraid that Schiano wont use this opportunity because he’s loyal to GW. Other teams don’t feel this way and just go with the best candidate.

Reactions: Shelby65
Greg teaches lack of confidence - he hovers like a "smother mother."
I would hate to be a QB under Greg because he sees them as viruses
Don't agree. It’s what he has to work with and it’s probably more the OC decision. I remember when Ryan Hart beat Jay Cutler when we played Vanderbilt and won after being down 27-3. I think Hart was allowed to throw when he was at Rutgers.

I don't think the limits on our passing game are all due to Wimsatt's limitations -- it seems to me we don't have enough quality receivers.

I notice that we don't use our running backs at receivers. Ohio State had both rushing and receiving yards from three different players -- we had none. This surprises me. I would think that a conservative offense like ours would use swing passes to running backs. Are Monangai and Jackson regarded as simply "between the tackles" runners? (I don't remember any sweeps from either.)

Last edited:
Not exactly.

3rd trip could have been a run or two if we lined up and snapped it once set.. but we called our last timeout instead. Poor planning there.

Not exactly.

Here is an RU run that they couldn't even block for - left a gap wide open and a defender breezed-in.
These are lame plays

QpjIfbw.gif

Gavin is avg 12.5 yds per completion. They are not asking him to dink and dunk. I would love to see which QB is available after the season and what it took to get him. Should be a good reality check for the fan base

Gavin is avg 12.5 yds per completion. They are not asking him to dink and dunk. I would love to see which QB is available after the season and what it took to get him. Should be a good reality check for the fan base
He was about the same yesterday. But he had only 4 yards per attempt. I'm sure you would agree that's a problem. On the other hand, you're right that first-string QBs do not grow on trees. It would help if we had more wide receivers who could get open. (As I wrote earlier, I don't understand why we're not trying to pass more to our backs.)

He was about the same yesterday. But he had only 4 yards per attempt. I'm sure you would agree that's a problem. On the other hand, you're right that first-string QBs do not grow on trees. It would help if we had more wide receivers who could get open. (As I wrote earlier, I don't understand why we're not trying to pass more to our backs.)
Yards per attempt? That’s not a stat. He avg 12.9 yds per completion. When OC calls pass, they trust him to push the ball downfield

Yards per attempt? That’s not a stat. He avg 12.9 yds per completion. When OC calls pass, they trust him to push the ball downfield

Is this a serious post?

Just about every WB analysis uses Yards Per Attempt and not Yards Per Completion.

You could be 1-50 for 99 yards and have a 99 Yards per completion mark.
It’s extremely unreliable as a way to assess a QBs effectiveness.

We can’t open up the offense. Gavin can’t execute reads. That much is obvious. He has no ability to adjust and make in play decisions. The play is called before the snap and if there is a breakdown he’s either throwing the ball away or trying to run. If he tries to make a different throw from option one we’re in trouble. It’s not Kirk’s fault. For this year it is what it is. Either Gavin improves or someone else ends up in his role next year. Be happy about the improvements across the board in all other positions.

Is this a serious post?

Just about every WB analysis uses Yards Per Attempt and not Yards Per Completion.

You could be 1-50 for 99 yards and have a 99 Yards per completion mark.
It’s extremely unreliable as a way to assess a QBs effectiveness.
And you think 2yds per attempt accurately reflects 1-50 for 99 yds? Talk about unreliable data. It’s not a measure of QB’s effectiveness. It’s a reflection of what type of pass plays OC is calling for his QB.

Reactions: NickRU714
And you think 2yds per attempt accurately reflects 1-50 for 99 yds? Talk about unreliable data. It’s not a measure of QB’s effectiveness. It’s a reflection of what type of pass plays OC is calling for his QB.

Actually yes it does accurately reflect.
2 yards per attempt is terrible and implies a bad game.
99 yards per competition implies a great game.

He can't hit the backs with any consistency. I must watch a different team but the wide receiver scapegoating seems grossly unfair. They mostly pull in what he throws to them no matter how tight the coverage. I understand they aren't the most experienced or athletic group but they aren't really the reason GW is inaccurate .

He can't hit the backs with any consistency. I must watch a different team but the wide receiver scapegoating seems grossly unfair. They mostly pull in what he throws to them no matter how tight the coverage. I understand they aren't the most experienced or athletic group but they aren't really the reason GW is inaccurate .

I posted the RB receiving stats in another thread.

10 total completions for the year
Benjamin - 4 receptions
KM, Young, Brown - 2 receptions each

This. I’m sure if we had a Caroo GW’s numbers would look better. But that’s true of most QBs. Gavin’s arm hasn’t been good enough considering how reliable our OL has been.

Reactions: TheKnightclub
Actually yes it does accurately reflect.
2 yards per attempt is terrible and implies a bad game.
99 yards per competition implies a great game.
Yes, his QB rating would be low and is implies a poor QB play. But if every attempt was 40+ yds, it’s on the OC calling Tecmo bowl plays.

With all due respect, the passing lost us this game. Every time we went with the pass, scoring opportunities ended. And the pick 6 completely changed the momentum of the game.
Except we can’t punch it in when we get close, against the better teams

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT