ADVERTISEMENT

Committee thinks we aren't Top 20

RUClassof67

All American
Gold Member
Jan 2, 2004
First draft by Selection Committee does not include us. But Stanford is still there! And the #1 seeds currently are UConn, So. carolina Notre Dame and.........surprise-Tennessee!,

Iowa and Maryland are only B1G teams listed. Just noticed that Princeton is not included In this list either. Wonder if it's the Jersey thing with sports betting.

This post was edited on 2/11 7:29 PM by RUClassof67

Committee Selections.

Not surprised. NCAA commitee = a'holes with agendas. CVS needs to pin this up in the locker room. Unreal.

Charlie Creme's assessment of these initial rankings. A Rutgers mention in there. He basically questions the inclusion of 2 7-loss teams (Stanford and Oklahoma) as well as 6-loss Texas A&M.

This post was edited on 2/11 8:40 PM by RUClassof67

Creme shows a little RU liove

What a big joke. Come up with twenty teams that may possibly win sites, so they can prepare in advance? What about the teams that will most likely be seeded above those on this so-called list? There are several games left on schedules as well as conference tournaments.

Am I missing something here?

There's a lot that's strange in the list of 20, and I almost wonder if they intentionally put teams on there that would make people scratch their heads.

FWIW, it's 18 of the top 20 in RPI (not Florida Gulf Coast or Princeton), plus Oklahoma and Stanford. (Oklahoma is getting crushed by Baylor right now, too.) Taking a quick look at my RPI v. seeding chart, it's interesting to see that in a typical season since 2000 the top 20 RPI teams do get about 18 of the seeds in the top 5 (just a smidge under), and the trend over the last five years if for 17.6 of the 20 top-5 seeds to go to RPI top 20 teams.

Just a joke. OK should not even be in the tournament. Down by 20+ to Baylor at the half.

Originally posted by RUgrad:
Just a joke. OK should not even be in the tournament. Down by 20+ to Baylor at the half.
The argument for Oklahoma is that they've been cruising through the B12. They were 6-5 in OOC, beating Washington but getting crushed by USF and losing to both Arkansas and Arkansas Little Rock (a rare double). If you believe in the B12, they deserve a bid and maybe a high seed. If you don't, they don't deserve a high seed. Right now I'd give them a bid, though.

here is the problem.....RU has a rpi that was around 40 before Maryland....that's the main thing here and that's why they are not in the top 20....cannot really complain too much with the rpi not so hot.

I really don't see the point of this list anyway, I think most schools know how close they are. Very easily a bunch of schools can go on a run and enter the top 16 rpi and likewise a bunch of teams can tank as well.

Originally posted by BeKnighted:
I think the point of this list is to generate some publicity.
I initially thought that the inclusion of Washington was the strangest thing, but not only do they have for some reason a good RPI, but they have a strong chance to win out their regular season. Of course, the teams they are playing will not be helping their RPI.

Oklahoma on the other hand has to face Baylor again.

As to Rutgers - not only is the RPI meh and the strength of schedule likewise, in detail we played 4 teams with RPI over 200 (i.e. awful), and we are 0-5 against the RPI top 25 and 5-6 against the RPI top 50.

Yes, Rutgers is a decent team, but to get a good seed I think they need to continue - absolutely - to win every game they should, but I also think they need a signature win, which could be hard to come by except maybe in the B1G tourney.

For what it's worth, 4 games against RPI 200+ teams isn't too bad - 27 of the top 40 teams have at least that many, 20 have more than 4, and only one team has fewer than 2.

Anyway, I agree that they need to win out in the regular season to get a top-4 seed. I don't know about the whole signature win thing (I've never been a big believer), but they also need to win at least one B1G tournament game and maybe get to the finals.

As was suggested above, the coaching staff should use this as an incentive for our team to prove the NCAA folks WRONG.

I have enjoyed this team from Day One and think they DO have potential. They do have heart.

If we get sent to the Spokane region, could we make the Sweet Sixteen?

South Carolina would get Greensboro, UConn would get Albany, Tennessee (or Baylor) would get Oklahoma and Notre Dame would get Spokane?????

This is going to be interesting.

I'm not surprised, for a couple of reasons:

1. the NCAA has never shown us any love in women's bball
2. our attendance hurts us in matters like this.

I think the whole idea of naming the top 20 now is pointless, about as pointless as the preseason top 25 rankings. It will be interesting to see how the "real" top 20 plays out. I suspect the list will look quite different. In my opinion, what the committee has put together is garbage and reflects very little thought.

Originally posted by Ewecon:
I think the whole idea of naming the top 20 now is pointless, about as pointless as the preseason top 25 rankings. It will be interesting to see how the "real" top 20 plays out. I suspect the list will look quite different. In my opinion, what the committee has put together is garbage and reflects very little thought.
At this point even the number one overall seed is in question
wink.r191677.gif

I hope we get a 2-3 seed, beat Iowa, and, win or lose to Maryland should get a decent NCAA seed.

Regarding NCAA seeding and bracket, as long as we don't have that team from Storrs blocking our path to a final four!!!

Rutgers had opportunities to impress the ranking committee but failed to defeat Iowa,North Carolina ,Tennessee and Maryland at home.This exercise means very little anyway because the national champion probably will come from the top 5 ranked teams.A little hype for womens basketball but it doesn't have the same cache as football.

Ewecon, that was then and this is now. I don't see a cake walk to the championship, but I don't see another team going down to the wire with them (and I say that with all due respect)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT