ADVERTISEMENT

Crazy scene in Russia...They are crazy over their wrestling!

We recruit hundreds of foreign basketball players to our universities. Why not a few wrestlers? $$$$

Russians and any other top countries only wrestle Olympic style Freestyle or Greco-Roman from a young age. Freestyle is the Biggest and by far the most popular. Americans grow up wrestling Scholastic/Collegiate style and it hurts us on the World Freestyle/Greco level. Most Americans are only introduced to Freestyle on the HS level right now and for a short period during a year. USA has a couple guys that have been able to make that transition but as a whole we are way behind many countries. Pretty much the same for foreign wrestlers when they wrestle the HS/College rules.

Reactions: ruready07
LGR: Thanks for update. I can't imagine there aren't a few who could break into our lineup and do some serious damage in a year or so. $$$$

Once again RU's Wrestling scholarship limits would not make that an option..BB Programs can throw full rides to foreign players and hope they work out.

LGR: Thanks for update. I can't imagine there aren't a few who could break into our lineup and do some serious damage in a year or so. $$$$
You're right but it's rare & takes a lot of work that needs to start at the HS level. I wrestled in Tbilisi, Georgia in the Summer of 1993 & 1 of the coaches from the group that I went with ended up bringing over a wrestler from Tbilisi, Georgia who wrestled 1 year at Unatego HS in NY, won a NYS title, & then went to MSU & was a 2x AA (3rd & 4th): Nick Muzashvili. Btw, Muzashvili beat NCST HC Pat Popolizio 14-6 in the state finals.

Reactions: ruready07
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT