ADVERTISEMENT

Darius Griffin video

PiscatawayMike

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 28, 2001
Scarlet Knight Country!
I received this message from my friend and diehard fan, Calvin Schwartz. He asked me to share it, so here it is! Hope you old-timers enjoy this video of Griffin, who is now head coach at Piscataway High School.

Hi Mike.........40 YEARS AGO TODAY This is a very inspiring project for me. To “promulgate” the work of Robert Wilson and Bryce Nickels, interviewing Darius Griffin, Rutgers basketball 1978-1982, “The Forgotten Era.” Darius stole the ball from #2 UCLA on Dec. 3rd 1981 and Rutgers upset UCLA in the very 1st college basketball game at the Meadowlands. BUT WHAT REALLY RESONATES for me (and Us as Rutgers basketball fans) are the poignant words of Darius (in video) “Those Rutgers fans follow you wherever you go.” I think lots of people should see this video.

PLEASE HELP TO SHARE THIS (2 minute) VIDEO.

Be well,
Calvin

http://www.njdiscover.com/2021/12/0...in-meadowlands-dec-3-1981-by-calvin-schwartz/

Last edited:
That was such a wonderful thrill to be there and be an RU fan for so many years. It was hard to fall asleep that night after the win. 40 years and it seems like it was yesterday.

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
we were down 12-14 at the half of that game in the pre-shot clock and pre-three point era

Hinson took over ...clarance Tillman got going .

Think that team dances if rich Brunson doesn’t get sick in December ...we were thin at guard, Ellerbe played well for a frosh and John battle wanst ready yet ...

In today’s era with 64 teams ...they would have made it and not settled for the NIT with the wins they had

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
Darius was/is one of the best people and a friend since I was a manager(he was a freshman when I was a junior). I had just graduated the year before that UCLA game, but I remember it well.

Darius also helped me buy appliances a few years later for 2 condos that my sister and I had invested in while he worked at Tops.

I'm hoping that the statute of limitations has probably run out by now, so I don't think he can get in any trouble because he sold them to me at cost!

Best of Luck,
Groz

Darius was a star receiver and defensive back for the Mexico City Wildcats. A dear guy and great friend.

Loved Darius, one of the quickest guards we ever had!
My memory may be a little hazy on this but I still remember one loss we had when we were down by 1, I think , with time running out - we thru a full court pass to a guard breaking down court and our guard, who was not fast could not catch up to it and I thought man if that was Darius it would have been a layup and a win.

Darius was/is one of the best people and a friend since I was a manager(he was a freshman when I was a junior). I had just graduated the year before that UCLA game, but I remember it well.

Darius also helped me buy appliances a few years later for 2 condos that my sister and I had invested in while he worked at Tops.

I'm hoping that the statute of limitations has probably run out by now, so I don't think he can get in any trouble because he sold them to me at cost!

Best of Luck,
Groz
I bought tvs off him as well. Full price though

I believe this was a RU/UCLA doubleheader with the women playing first at the meadowlands

On ESPN and we won both
Vitale in the booth
I think

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT