ADVERTISEMENT

Fran Brown Hysteria

Ash_Hole

Junior
Sep 8, 2019
We love Fran, and want him to stay, but there are some things to keep in perspective here.
  1. Fran getting Temple HC job as a secondary coach makes working for Schiano even more enticing to other potential coaches
  2. He carries a huge salary for a positional coach which could attract another great recruiter
  3. Schiano’s HC coaching tree increases, and can you really get better with Cristobal, Fleck and Hafley all doing well?
  4. No matter how great of a recruiter Fran is, Temple is not going to steal recruits from us in the new-age of NIL, Schiano, and Big10. This isn’t the Ash days
  5. Temple is still a difficult re-build, Fran knows this
  6. Fran is a dynamic recruiter, but Schiano’s the closer
  7. By Temple dragging their feet and taking so long, they wasted Fran’s greatest ability (recruiting) and maybe why Fran hasn’t decided yet
  8. Hard to project how being a positional coach will translate to being a HC
  9. Our secondary wasn’t a top unit this year (I don’t blame this on Fran, but stats be stats)
  10. If Fran does a fantastic job, would evolve into ideal RU hire if Schiano retires or fails down the line
Hopefully Fran stays, but it’s also not a “sky is falling” moment. If Fran gets an opportunity to make $2M and be a head coach for the first time, he deserves it and we wish him well.

I have no doubt Schiano would find another dynamic recruiter who has the potential to increase the Schiano-to-HC tree. He’s proven it throughout his career, and would have just done it again.

it is a no-lose situation for Fran... go, take the chance if he ever wanted to be a head coach.. maybe he doesn't want that.. who knows.. but if he fails at Temple he can go back to recruiting for.. well.. ANYONE.

The only other issues might be:

- why take a job with Temple when in another year or so he might work a better opportunity off Rutgers being a bowl team.. an opportunity where success as a head coach is more possible

- does he want a job in North Philly (again)? Maybe he and his family want a better location.. though he is from Camden.

The net impact is a big and immediate negative for Rutgers. Any other positioning is just spin.

The good news is that Fran’s hiring announcement will come after the first NLI day so we won’t lose 2022 guys.

Reactions: redking
By Temple dragging their feet and taking so long, they wasted Fran’s greatest ability (recruiting)
Yes it's a negative if he goes. Note that he is many times the only coach to go with GS on trips.

But Temple definitely wasted his major skill set by deciding this late and getting a year behind could take some of the luster off him as a recruiter and talk of well how is he as a head man without a program and CEO to sell could start because of the late and tough position he would be in. Really think the job may be one he should take but the timing may not be right and there are only so many hc jobs once one fails.

it is a no-lose situation for Fran... go, take the chance if he ever wanted to be a head coach.. maybe he doesn't want that.. who knows.. but if he fails at Temple he can go back to recruiting for.. well.. ANYONE.

The only other issues might be:

- why take a job with Temple when in another year or so he might work a better opportunity off Rutgers being a bowl team.. an opportunity where success as a head coach is more possible

- does he want a job in North Philly (again)? Maybe he and his family want a better location.. though he is from Camden.
-Ask Sean Gleeson if he regrets not entertaining G5 HC offers last year.

-Getting a bump from Fran’s current $675K to $3M will make buying a nicer place in Philly suburbs much more appealing.

If I had to guess GS demanded a 2 year commitment from everyone. And GS is clearly grooming Fran to be a head coach, which I believe was part of the deal when he came here. I imagine Fran’s in a tough spot because he probably wants the job but knows he’ll burn a bridge with GS. This is all speculation but I expect Fran stays through signing day (out of respect) and then leaves. Bridge still burned but not quite as bad.

If I had to guess GS demanded a 2 year commitment from everyone. And GS is clearly grooming Fran to be a head coach, which I believe was part of the deal when he came here. I imagine Fran’s in a tough spot because he probably wants the job but knows he’ll burn a bridge with GS. This is all speculation but I expect Fran stays through signing day (out of respect) and then leaves. Bridge still burned but not quite as bad.

How does he burn a bridge, exactly?

Not a burned bridge. GS would not resent a position coach leaving for an OOC HC job that would bump his salary 300%.

Would love for him to stay but just like anyone else he should do what is best for him and I wish him all the best. This is life and business 101.

Reactions: drewbagel423
If Fran is indeed the choice at Temple, not getting him introduced a day or two earlier isn't what it's about. The job is a culture rebuild and a good deal of what makes Fran attractive to Temple is his ability to rebuild the Golden-Rhule culture that led the Owls to what was really a terrific decade that included an American Conference championship, another appearance in the title game, a opportunity to host College Game Day, and having more players in the NFL than any other G5 school (this was accurate as of September; it may or may not be today).

Recruiting - particularly Fran's ability to convince kids to come and play - is obviously a big part of his allure, but it's not about Temple stealing kids from Rutgers, particularly this year. There's bound to be a kid here and there who has a Rutgers offer who he is going to be able to swing to Temple, but by and large, the temptation of the Big Ten is going to loom large. But historically - and Fran has seen this play out - the four-star kids Temple has managed to land have not panned out. I can recall at least five over the past ten years and none had a significant impact for that program.

It's going to be about getting back to identifying the kids who fit that culture, who want to work hard and aren't seduced by the trappings of power-conference football, value the human connection and bond between coach and player and teammates and embrace the underdog mentality. It can be powerful if you identify with that. And once they identify those kids, that's where Fran will earn his money, as you can feel confident that he will be able to land them and build the roster he wants. And if he picks off a higher-rated kid here and there, which he has and will continue to do, that won't hurt.

Reactions: Steve91562
@TangoTwo , can we please merge the various Fran Brown threads? Was a new thread needed?

Makes it difficult to follow a topic with 3 or 4 separate threads. This one too:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT