ADVERTISEMENT

Francesa--what a dope

am I the only person who has bigger, more important issues than worrying about what someone calls me?

Should we really be teaching our kids that they should worry so much about what other people are saying ?? No wonder we're medicating kids for anxiety already at such young ages, you guys got them worrying about everything!

he had his time...with dog, he can talk baseball and horses and occasionally football, but his slide has been dramatic as of late

Maybe someone in this country doesn't know that this is offensive. How about they receive the information, process it, and move on having learned something? $$$$

Reactions: Scarlet1984
There are still many organizations named with so called "offensive" terminology, like United Negro College Fund and National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. Why no outrage against them? Why don't they change their names? I'm not saying they should, just putting it out there.
I think that these terms are not so much offensive as outdated. Those organizations have been around a long time.

Reactions: RUbacker
I think that these terms are not so much offensive as outdated. Those organizations have been around a long time.
I agree with this but there are also some asian organizations that still use "Oriental". Would Elmira Express call them racist like he called Blitz. Or is it like the n word, not racist if used by an African American?

If you do not know what to call someone, just ask them. Pretty simple and it will save you a lot of problems.

Physically speaking, Europe and Asia are actual single continent, BTW.

Also don't be a jerk and use terms that you know some people find offensive.

That being said...

IMHO, the term racist should only be use for people who actually hate other groups, it shouldn't be watered down by lumping in dumb people who make stupid comments. Being a dumb a$$ and a racist are two different things, though you can be both, of course.

I took a walk in what was a neighborhood of Italian restaurants, sub shops etc when I move in my house over 41 years ago. I now notice a lot of the restaurants
no longer have signs in English and Korean or English and Chinese. No more English, now is that racism in itself to dIscourage
English speaking people? and 2nd question I can't read those languages so I said to my wife, Don't want to go in
if they can't tell me what kind of food it is, so I said to her I Know it is oriental but that's all I know. Did I say something wrong?
will I lose my Edison home for being a racist? By the way we recently figured we try some out, and the owners and people
at some of those places were rude and tried to discourage us from sitting. Are they racist?

I think you should lose your home for your blatant abuse of capitalization and the return key.

Was Oriental always considered an offensive term?
It certainly wasn't meant to be offensive by most people who used it (and probably by most who still do).

What people are included by the term Asian?

People from the entire continent?

If so, that doesn't seem like an adequate replacement term for Oriental.
Kind of like using the term North American. That would include people from Canada, the US, Mexico, and all of the Central American (and maybe Caribbean?) countries.
That would be way too broad of a term when trying to refer to someones place of origin.

(Imagine describing someone to the police - "He looked like he was North American, officer.")

Or is it meant to refer to someone in the region that many used to call the Orient, which is intended to exclude Russia, the Middle East, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, etc.?

Is the real problem people from those countries don't like to be lumped together?

To me, the team Oriental refers to a region of the world more specific than "Asia", and when I have used it in the past, I have not done so with any ill intent whatsoever.

Is there a more acceptable way to describe this portion of the world in a more specific way than Asian?

I am sure many people who aren't from what we used to call Oriental countries cannot easily identify if someone is from China, Japan, Korea, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, etc., and thus have used the term Oriental to try and narrow things down a bit.
Is there a better term than Oriental or Asian to do this?
Or is Asian the best we can do, and someone from Russia and India, etc. is not really Asian?

Elmira - I called the Oriental Association for Education & Research to buy a rug but they don't sell them. I guess it is a name for people also.

Reactions: ruready07
Why is oriental racist? Most of the words we think of as racist have a history of misuse, or were originally used as perjoratives.

I am not sure I understand why oriental is racist but asian is not? When does Asian become racist? When people decide another word is better? The two words are literally doing the same thing. They simply refer to the region from which the person comes.

Last edited:
Oriental is a name for rugs, not people. While perhaps inadvertent, anyone who uses this term for people is being very offensive.

Lol. Why do you think they call them oriental rugs? Dope. Its a geographical designation.

Just because a word is outdated doesn't make it racist. A lot of stupid, IMHO. Perjorative terms are racist. This is just people looking for yet another thing to be upset about.

Do you, in your heightened sense of PC awareness, refer to Indians, Pakistanis and Russians as "Asian Americans?"

Last edited:
Reactions: dvb91
I have a Oriental Cat...is that racist?

Not per se. But its hard not to notice that the cat in question is apparently nearly all white, which is a problem. The black on your cat has been conspicuously minimized, in a highly visible place on its head.... in stark contrast to the vast amount of white fur. What's up with that?

This is a classic case of limited-edition-white-skittles-type racism. Because whiteness is the norm, the overwhelming whiteness of your cat is offensive to those among us who may be from different backgrounds. If you weren't an obvious racist, you would've gotten a calico cat, to acknowledge that whiteness is no longer the standard by which things are judged. In a world without racism, our cat selections would indicate an openness to all the colors of the rainbow. A calico is clearly the only choice for a cat owner who is not hopelessly racist.

Actually, if you could find a transgender bi-curious calico, that would be ideal - but we can waive the former requirement for now, due (and only due) to the fact that such a creature does not actually exist.

Last edited:
Reactions: bac2therac
Not per se. But its hard not to notice that the cat in question is apparently nearly all white, which is a problem. The black on your cat has been conspicuously minimized, in a highly visible place on its head.... in stark contrast to the vast amount of white fur. What's up with that?

This is a classic case of limited-edition-white-skittles-type racism. Because whiteness is the norm, the overwhelming whiteness of your cat is offensive to those among us who may be from different backgrounds. If you weren't an obvious racist, you would've gotten a calico cat, to acknowledge that whiteness is no longer the standard by which things are judged. In a world without racism, our cat selections would indicate an openness to all the colors of the rainbow. A calico is clearly the only choice for a cat owner who is not hopelessly racist.

Actually, if you could find a transgender bi-curious calico, that would be ideal - but we can waive the former requirement for now, due (and only due) to the fact that such a creature does not actually exist.

actually that pic is my profile is my dead cat...he was half Oriental, I have a new one that is full blown Oriental

Who uses gringo and who says it is acceptable?

You play the victim card hard.
Someone at the mill I work at calls me gringo everyday and I could not care less. I guess I relize there is too many other important things to focus my mind on!

Reactions: dvb91
There is a well known supply company called Oriental Trading...I’m sure many of heard of that.

The headline on this one - "Francesca - what a dope" - is priceless.

He just goes to show - a guy with a big mouth, full of self-importance, unshakeable (and mostly groundless) self-confididence, and lots of bluster, can make it big in New York despite being kindof dumb.
(A reason to dislike New York)
Also works in Jersey - see Christie.

Last edited:
I thought that at one point in the 90s, they were telling us not to use "Hispanic", what happened to that

Hard to say what categories actually exist anymore since people can just declare they are anything they want to be. Men can say they are really woman and white people can say they are actually black.

CNN says:

"Like it or not, we have entered into an era of elective race -- a time when people expect that one has a right and dignity to claim the identity of one's choice."

Rachel Dolezal has a right to be black
http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/15/opinions/rich-rachel-dolezal/index.html

In honor of my Asian brahs and sistahs I am hereby declaring myself Asian for the rest of the day.

Reactions: bac2therac
Who uses gringo and who says it is acceptable?

You play the victim card hard.
playing victim by pointing a word of disparaging notation regarding whites that is routinely used in movies and tv shows?

lol...typical liberal, quick to judgement with no brain

While folks can hate Francesa for any reason they want I wonder how many of them realize the guy is a broadcasting legend. The guy worked Final Fours, NFL, etc as a kid out of college and basically created sports talk radio with MadDog. Sure, someone else would've come along at some point but he was the first so he gets the credit.

It's funny now when he messes up stuff or still can't figure out the internet, etc. Rather than laughing at him, I just laugh. It's entertainment; he's not saving the world.

Gringo doesn't mean white. It's mean foreigner. It has nothing to do with race at all. An American in Mexico is just as much a "gringo" as a Nigerian or Japanese national. Next.

Reactions: redking
As an occasional Mike'd Up listener, what you say is true (plus Boomer & Carton who I never listen to, but know their views).

Very true. Does anyone ever call into that show from areas other than south shore of Staten Island, southern Brooklyn, or Howard Beach? Maybe a few of them who moved out to Suffolk or down to Ocean County.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT