ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin and Rhule

Schmurg

Redshirt
Apr 25, 2002
I thought this board was talking about how they would be exposed as frauds this year and beyond. Hmmm....suppose this board doesn't have all the college football savants people think they are

I was one of the ones critical of Franklin.
Never called for his firing.
Now he has a full deck for a fair assessment .
What I was criticAL of were things like lining Hackenberg up as a wide out and poor sideline communication last year.
Full deck or short deck there is no excuse for that.
This year he made the tough decisions on some coaches which helped.

If you to know a fraud look at that Douche at Notre Dame .

I was pushing for Rutgers to hire Coach Rhule but many thought he would bolt for PS once James Franklin got fired. I also thought we should give Joe Moorhead from Fordham a look. Most people scoffed at that but look what he has done as OC at PS.

You guys are sad people. Rutgers has the best coach in school history. You will be the ones w egg on your face in 2 years. Stop moping around. It's embarrassing. And stop with the "I knew" and "I called it" nonsense. If you make 200 predictions a few are bound to come true.

You guys are sad people. Rutgers has the best coach in school history. You will be the ones w egg on your face in 2 years. Stop moping around. It's embarrassing. And stop with the "I knew" and "I called it" nonsense. If you make 200 predictions a few are bound to come true.

This X1,000,000. What a bunch of sad sacks for fans we have. Total embarrassment. Boo hoo, we don't have this player or that player. Wahh, you guys were wrong about these coaches, and meanwhile, "our coaches suck." With fans like these, they get what they deserve.

I hope Ash works out. If he does not, I hope Rhule is still at Temple and we can get him because it looks like Franklin is set at Rhule's dream job.

I was pushing for Rutgers to hire Coach Rhule but many thought he would bolt for PS once James Franklin got fired. I also thought we should give Joe Moorhead from Fordham a look. Most people scoffed at that but look what he has done as OC at PS.

I was one of the Moorhead fans. Ash may eventually prove out but jury is out...

Hindsight is 20/20, except when it does not fit your argument, then hindsight is blind.

We have an awful lot of that here with respect to coach selections. But one constant with a lot of folks here is coach envy and Rutgers always picks the wrong coaches.

I agree. Ash will bring Rutgers to the promised land . Tom Herman is a rare exception of a new coach taking over a team and experiencing instant success. What Rutgers lacked most this year was talent and a decent quarterback.

Many thought Franklin was on a hot seat to start the year which only got warmer as the season started, that includes quite a few PSU fans. I'm not a fan of his personality and I'm still not but don't think I've ever really had a strong negative or positive opinion on him regarding being a HC because he did a nice job at Vandy but I wasn't sold on his x/o coaching ability so kind of in the middle on him. Still not really, didn't like some of his game management last night either with the 4th downs. He's done a good job supplementing that though by finding good coordinators whether it was Shoop and now Moorhead.

It's a great season but as usual everyone gets carried away in the hoopla. Consistency is what counts. Brady Hoke was looking awesome after year 1 at Michigan too wasn't he. I'm not going to say that will happen to Franklin after this excellent year but I'm still in the middle about him coaching wise, especially considering his 4M/yr salary. While that number is becoming more "ordinary" these days you better churn out the results to meet up. I've mentioned the same for the SEC where many coaches get that but they all can't be winners and how many are living up to the salary.

Now Rhule I have warmed up to a little more this year because I see a possible building of that consistency along with his DC Phil Snow who I have liked these last few years. They lost players on defense and still churned out a good solid team. If he can do it again without PJ Walker, then I'll be sold on him. Change the faces and still churn out the results and that's how I get sold, especially if his DC stays at his side like a Temple poster has intimated the last couple years when I've brought him up as a good candidate for a P5 DC.

As to Moorhead, I don't remember what I might have said about him. I think I would have likely been open to him as OC but not HC. Still wouldn't be. Isn't that the whole reason he's OC at PSU to begin with? He's trying to build up his resume on this level so he can get a shot at a higher level HC job.

Whatever the case may be, these things can only be judged with time. You can't definitively declare someone awesome after a season or maybe even 2 nor can you definitively declare someone sucks to high hell that quickly. These things have to play out over some time.

People bring up Franklin but just see how quickly that coin flipped from the start of the year to the end. Maybe it stays on this side of the coin but it can just as easily flip back, we don't know. Everyone wants to quickly jump the gun and make definitive declarations. You can make guesses, have inclinations, etc.. but you really don't know until you see some consistency.

Franklin is Big 10 coach of the year and he deserves all the credit in the world. A few very vocal haters on this board really have egg on their face. You have to seperate personality from coach ability. Its about winning bottom line

Franklin has very good coordinators and once they are gone he is back to being Larry Coker.

bac - How's Julie doing?

Reactions: PaKnight
Franklin has very good coordinators and once they are gone he is back to being Larry Coker.

bac - How's Julie doing?
I wouldn't say that for sure because I'm sure he has a decent budget for them. I do think it's essential specifically for coaches like him. If he can keep identifying good ones like he did with Shoop and now a solid performance with Moorhead he'll be okay. Bring on ones like Donovan and he'll sink. So it depends but at least the budget is likely there for him to have a wider net.

Rule started out 2-10 with an awful Temple team. Temple would roll us if we played right now. Hopefully, Ash could do the same.

But that 2-10 Temple team was very competitive and got better as the year went on. We barely beat that team 23-20. I told my brother at that time that Temple found themselves a good coach. Coaching is more than just talent.

Hindsight is 20/20, except when it does not fit your argument, then hindsight is blind.

We have an awful lot of that here with respect to coach selections. But one constant with a lot of folks here is coach envy and Rutgers always picks the wrong coaches.
Winning matters and Rutgers is in a league where wins will be hard to achieve without better coaching and talent.Fans will continue to debate who should be the head coach of teams but that is just second guessing.Rutgers is stuck with the current coaches until the athletic director decides a change is in order.

Do people forget how Franklin got the job in the first place? He was winning at Vanderbilt in the SEC for Christ sake. I think we were wrong about Franklin and the rumors of his demise were much exaggerated.

Reactions: RUaMoose
Huh, why Rhule ever take a HCng position at Rutgers? Temple just won the their conference title and has a much better program.

Many thought Franklin was on a hot seat to start the year which only got warmer as the season started, that includes quite a few PSU fans. I'm not a fan of his personality and I'm still not but don't think I've ever really had a strong negative or positive opinion on him regarding being a HC because he did a nice job at Vandy but I wasn't sold on his x/o coaching ability so kind of in the middle on him. Still not really, didn't like some of his game management last night either with the 4th downs. He's done a good job supplementing that though by finding good coordinators whether it was Shoop and now Moorhead.

It's a great season but as usual everyone gets carried away in the hoopla. Consistency is what counts. Brady Hoke was looking awesome after year 1 at Michigan too wasn't he. I'm not going to say that will happen to Franklin after this excellent year but I'm still in the middle about him coaching wise, especially considering his 4M/yr salary. While that number is becoming more "ordinary" these days you better churn out the results to meet up. I've mentioned the same for the SEC where many coaches get that but they all can't be winners and how many are living up to the salary.

Now Rhule I have warmed up to a little more this year because I see a possible building of that consistency along with his DC Phil Snow who I have liked these last few years. They lost players on defense and still churned out a good solid team. If he can do it again without PJ Walker, then I'll be sold on him. Change the faces and still churn out the results and that's how I get sold, especially if his DC stays at his side like a Temple poster has intimated the last couple years when I've brought him up as a good candidate for a P5 DC.

As to Moorhead, I don't remember what I might have said about him. I think I would have likely been open to him as OC but not HC. Still wouldn't be. Isn't that the whole reason he's OC at PSU to begin with? He's trying to build up his resume on this level so he can get a shot at a higher level HC job.

Whatever the case may be, these things can only be judged with time. You can't definitively declare someone awesome after a season or maybe even 2 nor can you definitively declare someone sucks to high hell that quickly. These things have to play out over some time.

People bring up Franklin but just see how quickly that coin flipped from the start of the year to the end. Maybe it stays on this side of the coin but it can just as easily flip back, we don't know. Everyone wants to quickly jump the gun and make definitive declarations. You can make guesses, have inclinations, etc.. but you really don't know until you see some consistency.

As usual, a very rational post.
"As to Moorhead, I don't remember what I might have said about him."--someone will find it!

PSU's success is due to a combination of things: 1) an OL that was atrocious last year and got better; 2) Trace McSorley ( a lowly 3 star recruit) versus Hack (a vaunted 5 star flop); 3) Moorhead; 4) Off the charts talent at RB and WR.

Expect PSU to be even better next year, as I think most of their offense comes back. Will be interesting to see once they lose McSorley an Barkley and Moorhead leaves for HC job what happens. I'd like to have those problems at RU.

Winning matters and Rutgers is in a league where wins will be hard to achieve without better coaching and talent.Fans will continue to debate who should be the head coach of teams but that is just second guessing.Rutgers is stuck with the current coaches until the athletic director decides a change is in order.

Stuck? Maybe in a year or two, some will be elated to have our coaches and worried about losing them.

Franklin got a new OC,and made the call to run the offense based on the talent he had this year and going forward with McSorley.The results speak for themselves..I dont like PSU but Franklin went from the extreme warm hot seat after the Pitt loss to having a solid to very good offense and above average defense.Sad to see all the NJ talent on psu,including linebacker and other positions.

Huh, why Rhule ever take a HCng position at Rutgers? Temple just won the their conference title and has a much better program.

Rutgers is in a P5 conference it's a better job. Rutgers could probably compete in the AAC and hang with Navy and the likes. Houston is better than Texas but Herman bolted the first chance he could. I'm not comparing Rutgers to Texas but the B10 to the AAC is not comparable.

I assume you are trolling, but if not... At the risk of playing Captain Obvious, there is a big difference between the year-to-year quality of a team, and the long term quality of the program. If you think Temple has a much better program than Rutgers, you constitute a minority of one.

I don't think many people were calling Rhule a fraud. He can coach.

Fraanklin on the other hand...as another poster said I know quite a few PSU fans personally who were pulling for his firing back in October so let's cool it with the egg on the face. He may have won the BIG10 but he's still a douche and in glad he's not our coach.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I assume you are trolling, but if not... At the risk of playing Captain Obvious, there is a big difference between the year-to-year quality of a team, and the long term quality of the program. If you think Temple has a much better program than Rutgers, you constitute a minority of one.

Careful with this statement, you just triggered so many Temple fans

As usual, a very rational post.
"As to Moorhead, I don't remember what I might have said about him."--someone will find it!

PSU's success is due to a combination of things: 1) an OL that was atrocious last year and got better; 2) Trace McSorley ( a lowly 3 star recruit) versus Hack (a vaunted 5 star flop); 3) Moorhead; 4) Off the charts talent at RB and WR.

Expect PSU to be even better next year, as I think most of their offense comes back. Will be interesting to see once they lose McSorley an Barkley and Moorhead leaves for HC job what happens. I'd like to have those problems at RU.
Haha, let them find it because what I think what said is probably about right. I'm usually not one to narrow down options no matter where a coach comes from as I've said many times. I think I would have been open to Moorhead as OC but not HC and that still holds true for now.

I did a quick search and I didn't want him as HC and being an OC wasn't really part of the conversation but for that level (OC position) I would have been open to it as I've said good coaches can come from anywhere and he had some experience at UConn with Edsall.

People can evolve too as you get more "data" both in the negative direction and positive. I didn't want Rhule at all last year but now an extra year with still solid performance despite defensive losses and I'm warmer on him. Do it again without PJ Walker and I'll really like him, especially with Phil Snow. Just as you can't jump the gun, nothing is set in stone either you can change opinion. It's a freakin football message board lol.

But that 2-10 Temple team was very competitive and got better as the year went on. We barely beat that team 23-20. I told my brother at that time that Temple found themselves a good coach. Coaching is more than just talent.
Kind of hard to evaluation that 2-10 season when the level of competition was so putrid. Not taking anything away from Rhule, but let's see how he looks as a coach after PJ Walker is gone. Now, if the SN jinx is in effect, some QB named Russo is going to light it up for them next year.

PJ Walker could have been the RU QB,wanted to come to RU badly,but Elmer Flood told him he would have to play saftey because he didnt fit in RU offense...LMAO..

You guys are sad people. Rutgers has the best coach in school history. You will be the ones w egg on your face in 2 years. Stop moping around. It's embarrassing. And stop with the "I knew" and "I called it" nonsense. If you make 200is about winningpredictions a few are bound to come true.

It has nothing to do with Ash, im not discussing him, Its about giving credit to Franklin. It has nothing to do with personality. Winning matters, Franklin beat OSU and we still had fools here dismissing it. The lack of objectivity here and the failure to realize that what college football is about proves how some of our fanbase doesn't get it. Psu has moved beyond Sandusky..get over it. They recovered. They overcame their sanctions. You can moralize all you want but Franklin and this current staff and players had nothing to do with that. Now they are winning again. Winning matters and some of you are bitter

Joe Morehead is an excellent coach and will soon be the head coach at FBS school

Reactions: MADHAT1 and jsol_05

bac - How's Julie doing?

you sound bitter, Not sure why you are bringing Julie up to this discussion, thats seems random. I am sure Julie is doing fine, she is enjoying her time off with her money RU is paying her and she will bounce back with some administrative job somewhere. She was not getting the job done here the way she needed to be and was dismissed.

Franklin bashing is just part of the overall hatred of PSU by many on this board. Lashing out because of their longstanding inferiority complex. Unfortunately, sad but true.

Reactions: bac2therac

bac - How's Julie doing?

Yes, because PSU probably won't be attractive to any good coordinators. No money, no talent on the team, not high profile enough.

They'll probably have to settle for a 27yo WR coach.

Rutgers is in a P5 conference it's a better job. Rutgers could probably compete in the AAC and hang with Navy and the likes. Houston is better than Texas but Herman bolted the first chance he could. I'm not comparing Rutgers to Texas but the B10 to the AAC is not comparable.
but would he think he can compete against Big10 east opponents year in and year out? Temple as a AAC champion is more appealing than a low competitive big10 east team. Rutgers is a tough job because of that. He would wait out for a easier gig.

Reactions: Willie Lump
I agree. Ash will bring Rutgers to the promised land . Tom Herman is a rare exception of a new coach taking over a team and experiencing instant success. What Rutgers lacked most this year was talent and a decent quarterback.

Agreed... Put Greg ward in Rutgers lineup and have a few easy AAC games and ash looks a lot more successful too

I hope Ash works out. If he does not, I hope Rhule is still at Temple and we can get him because it looks like Franklin is set at Rhule's dream job.
Rhule's not going to be at Temple for that long.

Agreed... Put Greg ward in Rutgers lineup and have a few easy AAC games and ash looks a lot more successful too
We had a killer top end schedule. But saying Maryland, Illinois, Minny, Indiana, Iowa are unbeatable is stupid. And please don't suggest that we were close to beating them. Coming close to beating a team is not the same as beating them.

Reactions: madchuck
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT