ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 11 Maine: Bac at it

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
Great to sit back and watch some hoops after the long Covid pause. Even better to watch a game where you could relax and not worry about the final score. This one as expected was not competitive and was effectively over about midway through the first half when it was apparent that RU could basically get any shot on offense they wanted and Maine just was not going to have enough firepower to keep up. Yes it was only a 16 point and yes the intensity level was extremely low but this was never a game. Maine cut it to 10 early in the 2nd half but RU was never once seriously threatened after that.

About intensity, yes it was pretty dreadful. However given this team had not played a game for 18 days and there had been very little practice leading up to this game, I really cannot get worked up over the low energy and lack of any semblence of intensity on defense. To RU's credit the intensity was there when it matter and it was in that first 5-10 minutes where RU jumped on Maine with some hot shooting and built their confidence. Props to Pike and company for getting this team ready to play at the tip off. True it did wane from there but really this easily could have been a 25-30 point win with just few stops made here or there. Not too concerned with that. I do not think Rutgers fans are surprised by winning only by 16. I expect a much tighter effort on D in two days. The real games are Michigan and Nebraska coming up so prep time vs Maine and CCSt are really not what is being worked on.

My one criticism would be what we already know, Rutgers is not getting much at all from the bench. That is been a consistent and nothing today changed my opinion on that. What we did get was Paul finally getting into a rhythm on those wing 3s. Hit all 4, 5-7 fg, 4 assists 14 points. Hopefully it buoys his confidence level but hard to extrapolate from a game against the lowly Maine defense given that everything will move at a faster pace vs Big 10 level competition. Tip your hat to Paul because I think he was struggling mightily the last few games before the pause. Individually Ron was his solid self on offense 19 points, 7 boards, 6-8 shooting and hit some 3s early. Geo provided energy and some 3s early before sputtering with his shot in the 2nd half. 5 assists leading the team who had a whopping 21 in total. Remember Geo was out of hamstring and flu and then perhaps covid and he only played that SHU game after missing a few so his conditioning much less than the rest of team at this point. Caleb more effective in the 2nd half than the first and nailing 7 of 8 treys seems to have really bounced back from his funk. Cliff hit a couple of jump shots further away so that was good to see. Good to see Oskar drain a 3. Mag struggled a bit to get into the flow. Jaden Jones continues to just bad 3s. Hyatt save for one basket didnt see much time. Unfortunate that in a game like this we couldnt get the bench players more time or a breakthrough performance but maybe vs CCSU.

Thank you Coach Pike and staff for getting the team through covid and appreciation to the players for making it another year with covid protocols. At least RU went through it around this time and not later in the season.

Maybe 2K there tops today if that, had no issues with check ins but remember not alot of people and daylight so it was easy to do. They do accept photos of your card if anyone wants to know. I do not think that shutting down concessions and allowing no food is sustainable once we get into Big 10 season...and quite frankly what other schools or professional venues have done this. Certainly not the NBA so hopefully RU rectifies that situation for Michigan.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement of how RU will compete in the B1G this season after a lackluster performance against a terrible Maine team.

Jones, Mag and Hyatt only got 7-10 mins each against Maine? So we needed our starters to win the game?

Hate to be a Debbie Downer but this game result doesn’t bode well for us this season. Hope I’m wrong.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement of how RU will compete in the B1G this season after a lackluster performance against a terrible Maine team.

Jones, Mag and Hyatt only got 7-10 mins each against Maine? So we needed our starters to win the game?

Hate to be a Debbie Downer but this game result doesn’t bode well for us this season. Hope I’m wrong.

well we did beat Purdue

The three negative observations that caught my eyes were the lack of scoring from the bench,lack of intensity on defense and the inability to make baskets off of a fast breaki.The positive aspects were four starters scoriing in double figures,Mulcahy making 3 pointers from the corners,Harper scoring 19 points on only eight shots and McConnell getting to the foul line from dribble drives to the basket,

After such a long period with no games or practice the team exceeded my expectations even against a woeful Maine team.They have one more tune up game before conference games resume which will require a higher level of performance on both offense and defense.Baker really needs to show marked improvement with the step back jump shot which made him a star Big Ten player two years ago.

Guess what? I enjoyed the game and I really believe our players did too. It's the most I've seen them smile this year. It's supposed to be fun. What I miss most about Jacob Young was him smiling in pressure packed situations

Reactions: Scangg and RC71

One and a half practices in 18 days and several Covid infections. They get a pass

Great to sit back and watch some hoops after the long Covid pause. Even better to watch a game where you could relax and not worry about the final score. This one as expected was not competitive and was effectively over about midway through the first half when it was apparent that RU could basically get any shot on offense they wanted and Maine just was not going to have enough firepower to keep up. Yes it was only a 16 point and yes the intensity level was extremely low but this was never a game. Maine cut it to 10 early in the 2nd half but RU was never once seriously threatened after that.

About intensity, yes it was pretty dreadful. However given this team had not played a game for 18 days and there had been very little practice leading up to this game, I really cannot get worked up over the low energy and lack of any semblence of intensity on defense. To RU's credit the intensity was there when it matter and it was in that first 5-10 minutes where RU jumped on Maine with some hot shooting and built their confidence. Props to Pike and company for getting this team ready to play at the tip off. True it did wane from there but really this easily could have been a 25-30 point win with just few stops made here or there. Not too concerned with that. I do not think Rutgers fans are surprised by winning only by 16. I expect a much tighter effort on D in two days. The real games are Michigan and Nebraska coming up so prep time vs Maine and CCSt are really not what is being worked on.

My one criticism would be what we already know, Rutgers is not getting much at all from the bench. That is been a consistent and nothing today changed my opinion on that. What we did get was Paul finally getting into a rhythm on those wing 3s. Hit all 4, 5-7 fg, 4 assists 14 points. Hopefully it buoys his confidence level but hard to extrapolate from a game against the lowly Maine defense given that everything will move at a faster pace vs Big 10 level competition. Tip your hat to Paul because I think he was struggling mightily the last few games before the pause. Individually Ron was his solid self on offense 19 points, 7 boards, 6-8 shooting and hit some 3s early. Geo provided energy and some 3s early before sputtering with his shot in the 2nd half. 5 assists leading the team who had a whopping 21 in total. Remember Geo was out of hamstring and flu and then perhaps covid and he only played that SHU game after missing a few so his conditioning much less than the rest of team at this point. Caleb more effective in the 2nd half than the first and nailing 7 of 8 treys seems to have really bounced back from his funk. Cliff hit a couple of jump shots further away so that was good to see. Good to see Oskar drain a 3. Mag struggled a bit to get into the flow. Jaden Jones continues to just bad 3s. Hyatt save for one basket didnt see much time. Unfortunate that in a game like this we couldnt get the bench players more time or a breakthrough performance but maybe vs CCSU.

Thank you Coach Pike and staff for getting the team through covid and appreciation to the players for making it another year with covid protocols. At least RU went through it around this time and not later in the season.

Maybe 2K there tops today if that, had no issues with check ins but remember not alot of people and daylight so it was easy to do. They do accept photos of your card if anyone wants to know. I do not think that shutting down concessions and allowing no food is sustainable once we get into Big 10 season...and quite frankly what other schools or professional venues have done this. Certainly not the NBA so hopefully RU rectifies that situation for Michigan.
For those interested, the Docket App is available to NJ residents to keep your vax status and the history of your shots on your phone. You input credentials and it accesses your records via the NJ Dept of Health.

Reactions: Scangg
He was atrocious on D. Other than Miller we have no options for a 5th player. Miller is such a liability on O.
When I say solid, I’m comparing him to the earlier games. I did hear the announcers talking about how he’s been working hard on his defense.

Someone has to be the negatoid so I guess it’s me. Be prepared, I got a lot. I’m not sure how many people realize what a horrid team Maine is. How many excuses can me make for a team that played poorly: couldn’t get up for Maine, COVID, fatigue, rust, knew we could score so why play D. Final margin could have been 20+, could also have been 10. We gave up 64 points to a team whose. Three victories are against victories are against Maine Fort Knox, Maine Framingham, and U of New England. Our bench was outplayed by these guys. Don’t think Reiber can complete at Maine level. A very disappointing (regressing) Jaden. Oskar overmatched: Hoorah, he made a three. As of now we can go six deep.

Positives:: Paul’s shooting, solid game by Caleb, energy Mag brings.

Okay, I’ll take my lumps.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Someone has to be the negatoid so I guess it’s me. Be prepared, I got a lot. I’m not sure how many people realize what a horrid team Maine is. How many excuses can me make for a team that played poorly: couldn’t get up for Maine, COVID, fatigue, rust, knew we could score so why play D. Final margin could have been 20+, could also have been 10. We gave up 64 points to a team whose. Three victories are against victories are against Maine Fort Knox, Maine Framingham, and U of New England. Our bench was outplayed by these guys. Don’t think Reiber can complete at Maine level. A very disappointing (regressing) Jaden. Oskar overmatched: Hoorah, he made a three. As of now we can go six deep.

Positives:: Paul’s shooting, solid game by Caleb, energy Mag brings.

Okay, I’ll take my lumps.
If you didn’t have the pass of being on COVId I’d say this is the worse game of the year. If we had a poor shooting game this game would have been close.

The depressing thing is we don’t have enough playable players. Hyatt is so bad we are playing Oskar over him. Jones isn’t even close from the perimeter. We made a terrible team look like a competent offensive team.

If you didn’t have the pass of being on COVId I’d say this is the worse game of the year. If we had a poor shooting game this game would have been close.

The depressing thing is we don’t have enough playable players. Hyatt is so bad we are playing Oskar over him. Jones isn’t even close from the perimeter. We made a terrible team look like a competent offensive team.
You’re wrong GRF. Oscar is not playing over Hyatt. The only reason Oscar is playing as much is to backup Cliff w no Agee. Jones and Mag - rightfully so - have taken away minutes from Hyatt since the early games. If we had a serviceable backup center Oscar would not have seen the the court at all this year.

First off all - was great to be back at the Rac.

Secondly I want to give the team the benefit of the doubt given the Covid and the layoff etc.

The Positives:

-Harp could have scored 40. He looked thinner as well.
- Paul hitting 3s and shooting the ball well
- Geo had a good first half
- Mag played very well. Give me more Mag. Love his attitude and hustle.

The Negatives:

- Seeing the Maine Center dominate Cliff down low
- Jaden Jones. Hoisting 3 point bricks and pouting when pulled. He needs to ease into the game and shoot 10 footers
- When we go 3 point shooting crazy, team suffers
- In second half, team defense / rebounding and intensity were not good. I was quite disappointed

Again I will give team benefit of the doubt because of Covid but I hope to see a better effort Saturday vs Ccsu.

You’re wrong GRF. Oscar is not playing over Hyatt. The only reason Oscar is playing as much is to backup Cliff w no Agee. Jones and Mag - rightfully so - have taken away minutes from Hyatt since the early games. If we had a serviceable backup center Oscar would not have seen the the court at all this year.
It is Oskar, you are right. 1st time he came in for Cliff. With that being said Hyatt could also be backup 5.

Hyatt was dreadful in the minutes he played. I don’t get it.

What stood out for me today is our lack of athleticism. No fast breaks or quickness, no dominance on the boards , and no intensity on defense. In the past I'm used to seeing a Rutgers team physically dominate a team like Maine but that's no longer the case. We're no better than a .500 team and wll be fortunate to win 6-7 more BIG games.

Team comes off almost a 3 week break with 1 practice and tons of negative comments. Some of you just love misery.

If we didnt make our shots....well guess what they moved the ball well got open 3s and hit them.

No fast break points yet we outscored them 18-3 in that category. Yes some breakouts were a little sloppy but still huge advantage in that category.

We made a terrible team look compotent on offense. This was a team that came in at 24% from 3 and shot almost 50% so well above their avg.

The point of this game was to get their legs under them, win the game and they did comfortably without any doubt.

Paul belongs off the ball for the kickout corner 3 which he can knock down. Team gets another 40 on Saturday to get back into it before BIG play.

Team comes off almost a 3 week break with 1 practice and tons of negative comments. Some of you just love misery.

If we didnt make our shots....well guess what they moved the ball well got open 3s and hit them.

No fast break points yet we outscored them 18-3 in that category. Yes some breakouts were a little sloppy but still huge advantage in that category.

We made a terrible team look compotent on offense. This was a team that came in at 24% from 3 and shot almost 50% so well above their avg.

The point of this game was to get their legs under them, win the game and they did comfortably without any doubt.

Paul belongs off the ball for the kickout corner 3 which he can knock down. Team gets another 40 on Saturday to get back into it before BIG play.
If we shoot 5-20 from 3, not a crazy scenario we are fighting toth and nail at home.

We had to play our starter all 32+ minutes. Our bench forced Pike to put the starting 5 back in.

We need more out of a 3 than sitting in a corner knocking down shots and getting beat off the dribble every penetration.

This game was absolutely depressing. I have always thought Pike will fill holes with the portal and we will be better next year. I am starting to come to the conclusion that it is Cliff and a bunch of back of the rotation players for next year.....and Cliff still has a long way yo go defnsively and rebounding.

If we shoot 5-20 from 3, not a crazy scenario we are fighting toth and nail at home.

We had to play our starter all 32+ minutes. Our bench forced Pike to put the starting 5 back in.

We need more out of a 3 than sitting in a corner knocking down shots and getting beat off the dribble every penetration.

This game was absolutely depressing. I have always thought Pike will fill holes with the portal and we will be better next year. I am starting to come to the conclusion that it is Cliff and a bunch of back of the rotation players for next year.....and Cliff still has a long way yo go defnsively and rebounding.
Cheer up. Cliff has improved significantly since last year and there is no reason to think that won’t continue. And the way carrying the ball is allowed in today’s game everyone (all teams) gets beat off the dribble. We do have to hit the portal though. Our bench is not good at all.

You really do love to be miserable and pessimistic dont you? We shoot 50% from the field 70% from the line and your story is if we miss shots its close? Great analysis considering scoring is how you win a game. If we won the game by 35 your post would have been well its Maine and thats what we should do and give them no credit.

I do have concerns so lets not get it twisted that all is well, including bench production being the biggest concern but for this game they played effective efficient and the game was never in doubt, not sure what else you could have wanted.

Things I noticed

Geo and Paul shot and played well from the wing, 2nd half Geo looked and played uninspired, missing all 4 FGs and a few assists, Paul solid all game minus two bad reads, Geo and Paul wings, RHJ and Caleb up top might work offensively
RHJ looked trimmer, very efficient.
Cliff is better offensively now than Myles ever was or is today
Caleb had a Caleb game.

We dropped 15 places, 151 to 166, in the NET, not covering #357 Maine, 5-6 places KenPom mostly Defensive Efficiency.

I know it Is after a Covid pause but it has been an all season problem, Pike has to figure out this bench and rotation problem, we are good enough to beat Clemson and Purdue at home but struggle against bad teams. It's going to eat us alive during the B1G schedule playing 5 starters 30+ minutes. Someone needed to stand out vs Maine or needs to step up vs CCSU, OR one or even two of the five starters need to sacrifices his/their starting spot, "I'm moving to the bench" for the benefit of the team and season, because Hyatt and five freshman isn't working off the bench and someone needs to recognize it soon. Mag 10, Palm 4, Jones 7, Hyatt 7, Miller 7, Reiber 6. 41 minutes, 11pt, 7reb, 4 assists, 1 TO, FG 3-9, 3pt 1-5, FT 4-7 is okay numbers but it's a bad sign vs 3-8 Maine, 0 D1 wins. Turgut outscored our bench in 20 minutes with 15pts. It is a situation of sticking 2 Freshman as starters til the first TV timeout, like Doucoure his freshman year, and not going back to them until much later in the first half. Pike has to try something and not settle for "My five most experience players start and hang the bench out to dry with short leashes on everyone." What he is doing this season hasn't worked against the worst teams on the schedule, 348 Lehigh 1-10, 295 Merrimack 5-8, 291 NJIT 4-5, 319 Lafayette 2-8 or 357 Maine 0-8, a combine 12-39 0.235 vs D1 opponents, Rutgers 4-1(ATS 0-4-1). Horrible for computer metrics across the board.

Reactions: bac2therac
I am not sure why Mag played 10 minutes.
When he has Caleb, RHJ, Geo, Paul, and Cliff available, it does seem like he has a much shorter leash on everyone coming off the bench. Matt Painter starting four freshman last year at the expense of others(18-10) has paid off big time this year(12-1). Ivey 12 of 23, Edey 2 of 28, Gillis/Newman 23 of 28. Trial by fire pays off. Something Pike refuses to do now even though it's how he got here in the first place and something he needs to go back to being short handed and inexperienced.

Positives for me are..

- Harper efficiently scoring
- Caleb D and also being used as a PG up top with the ball more
- Paul hitting 3s. Corner 3 is his shot. LESS DRIBBLING
- Mag energy, intensity, and athleticism. More skilled than he is given credit for

One real negative for me has been Jones play regressing combined with his total lack of energy and intensity

Hyatt is confusing since he seems to have a great combination of size and skill with an athletic body but he just never seems to be in the flow of the game. At some point I expect him to have a game where it clicks

As for next year's roster, I expect a scorer is brought in via the portal with Geo Harper and Caleb freeing up a lot of minutes and shots

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT