ADVERTISEMENT

Game Day Experience Thread

We went the the General admission by the Audi club around 11:35. No line. My wife put two water bottles in the sleeves of her shell in the clear plastic bag (towards the middle of the bag. No issues. Got right in.

Reactions: MrsScrew
No need to rag on the sheriff in training.
Its his overzealous interpretation and application of policy that is what many are dissatisfied with. I could fasten razor blades to a credit card to make a pretty dangerous shank, and keep it in my wallet. Ohnoz, men & women must now remove all items in wallet for next game. Its a football game not a conjugal visit at a Supermax

Reactions: dvb91 and SF88
They absolutely do have the same bag policy. The clear bag policy went into effect at all NFL games in 2013. In December, 2013, MetLife Stadium said the clear bag policy would be in effect for all "Major Sporting Events."

The stadium updated the policy this summer saying for any event at the stadium. Go back to your link and you'll see the bright yellow bar at the top of the screen highlighting the bag policy was expanded.

You can bring food and soft drinks into MetLife stadium. Just because a bag isn’t clear does not make it the same bag policy as at HPS.

Reactions: Local Shill
Rather than the tailgates should really open up more gates.

Yellow lot porta potties took off the middle ones? We are paying more and more. Put up more porta potties don’t take them away.

Parking attendants were very good. Finally!

Oh, man, that's seriously cool on their part.
Here's another experience. As I'm waiting for my wife to buy some type of merchandize by the entrance this guy is coming in, looks so familiar but can't place him. He's looking in my direction and find myself staring at him. Finally it hits me it's Coach Pikiell. So like a doofus I keep staring and he's now looking at me, as my stare has now gone to the point of serial killer. Walks up says, "hi how are you doing", I think I replied with something like uh good. My awkwardness was truly a spectacle to behold. Definitely not one of my finer moments.

Last edited:
Here's another experience. As I'm waiting for my wife to buy some type of merchandize by the entrance this guy is coming in, looks so familiar but can't place him. He's looking in my direction and find myself staring at him. Finally it hits me it's Coach Pikiell. So like a doofus I keep staring and he's now looking at me, as the stare has now gone to the point of serial killer. Walks up says, "hi how are you doing", I think I replied with something like uh good. My awkwardness was truly a spectacle to behold.
giphy.gif

We went the the General admission by the Audi club around 11:35. No line. My wife put two water bottles in the sleeves of her shell in the clear plastic bag (towards the middle of the bag. No issues. Got right in.
So, what's the policy? can we bring in sealed bottles of water or not? Do we have to hide them, smuggle them in?

Ladies, going forward , shove your purses down your pants, like many of us already do with water bottles.

Small fanny pac, turned backwards, under a shirt, also works.

Not if they read this

This is a damm shame that Rutgers fans have to go through this. I mean even in Philly they let you walk in with a hoagie or cheesesteak, a pretzel, a sealed bottled water or whatever else you can fit inside a shopping bag, FFS.

The only other place I really cant bring anything in is Citi Field for obvious reasons (The Coupons).

Cops were up and down the blue lot rows several times. What really aggravated me was the cop that gave my college son an underage drinking ticket that resulted in $1,000 when he was having beer in a solo cup at my family tailgate last year, came up to me with a big smile on his face and says “how are we doing this year?”, then him and his two partners walked away laughing.
Shouldve told him, "I'm doing well. I dont think I will be in a video on CNN this year... Have a nice day."

Everyone knows the outside food ban is really for revenue reasons, they just don't want to admit it.

Why have bag size restrictions at a stadium, especially if the bags and wallets are clear? There's no limited bin space like on an airline.
Guess Rutgers will start selling those $10 Apples.

And? I said policies that only RU has.
For those traveling to OSU next week:

The following items are NOT permitted to be brought into Ohio Stadium:

1. All Bags (including but not limited to backpacks, fanny packs, purses, string or ‘cinch’ bags, messenger bags, crossbody bags, camera bags, briefcases, grocery bags, roll bags, binocular cases, duffle bags or any other bags) Ohio Stadium Bag Policy
  2. Oh and
    1. Food or beverages
    so again. Still waiting for a single policy that only RU has

Is it possible the pro sports venues have less stringent rules because they have metal detectors and internal surveillance/security that HPS doesn’t have?

Yankees Stadium and the Barclay Center use metal detectors (at least the last time I’ve been to either).

Its his overzealous interpretation and application of policy that is what many are dissatisfied with. I could fasten razor blades to a credit card to make a pretty dangerous shank, and keep it in my wallet. Ohnoz, men & women must now remove all items in wallet for next game. Its a football game not a conjugal visit at a Supermax
I agree with both of your posts. I was making a pun.

Wait, so half the guys on this thread think they support the program more than @vkj91? Don't have your hands out when he's giving away tickets all season.

And LOL at the biggest fabricator on this board calling him a liar.

Reactions: RUJohnny99
Just checked my email and RU sent me a detailed survey covering everything from parking, concessions, music etc. I would recommend filling that out to get your thoughts across.

No I just think it’s stupid to say you’re giving up your tickets and stopping your donations bc your wife wasn’t allowed to bring in a purse that was in violation of the policy that’s been in place for a few years now.

It’s your money and time though. You do you.[/QUOTE
Im not giving up my tickets because of one incident but if the University
Have fun! Ashame you can’t comply with a simple policy.
ashame Im on a website arguing with the self appointed compliance police.
My point is, if these policies stay, or become even more restrictive I won't be The only one looking for other ways to spend my entertainment dollars.

Im in my 31st year as a season ticketholder, Im with you....if things dont change then after this season I will reevaluate whether I want to renew. When the aggravation outweighs the entertainment, it may be time to spend my entertainment dollars elsewhere.

And? I said policies that only RU has.
For those traveling to OSU next week:

The following items are NOT permitted to be brought into Ohio Stadium:

1. All Bags (including but not limited to backpacks, fanny packs, purses, string or ‘cinch’ bags, messenger bags, crossbody bags, camera bags, briefcases, grocery bags, roll bags, binocular cases, duffle bags or any other bags) Ohio Stadium Bag Policy
  2. Oh and
    1. Food or beverages
    so again. Still waiting for a single policy that only RU has
Reading all these complaints I question how many people have actually visited other stadiums/events in recent years.

I’m not saying there aren’t things RU can improve on but to make believe these things don’t happen at most stadiums is laughable

A stadium 500 miles away is not most stadiums and doesn’t support your claim. I’m sure you can find a few others around the country with restrictions and policies on par with or tighter than RU, but as has been shown to you, the venues in our area do not.

In the end all that matters is whether or not the polices and restrictions are necessary for RU’s situation and administered appropriately. Tens of thousands of fans either approve of them or grudgingly accept them. I still go but the polices have contributed in driving away some casual fans in my circle. Paid admission has been declining and in 2017 average attendance reported by Rutgers fell below 25,000.

A stadium 500 miles away is not most stadiums and doesn’t support your claim. I’m sure you can find a few others around the country with restrictions and policies on par with or tighter than RU, but as has been shown to you, the venues in our area do not.

In the end all that matters is whether or not the polices and restrictions are necessary for RU’s situation and administered appropriately. Tens of thousands of fans either approve of them or grudgingly accept them. I still go but the polices have contributed in driving away some casual fans in my circle. Paid admission has been declining and in 2017 average attendance reported by Rutgers fell below 25,000.
You must be a peach in real life. Explains why your friends stopped going to games because they could only bring in the free clear bag they were given, an empty water bottle, or clutch. Sure it had nothing to do with increased prices, seat gifts, and crappy teams.
I don’t need to go 500 miles away to prove your wrong. Just made sense to post next weeks opponent. Somerset Patriots close enough for you:
NO Outside Food Or Beverages
There are no outside food or beverages allowed at TD Bank Ballpark.

Upstairs concessions was the worst I’ve ever seen. First off the TVs where the menus should be were on, but just displayed “no input”. No menu, no feed of the game/video board, nothing. The booth behind 207 had 3 people working total, one on the register and one making hot dogs and one to get the food and drinks. I went not even at halftime I was the only one and it took 5 minutes to get 3 sodas and a hot dog. And then to pay, oh forget about it. I think they make an effort to round up the least qualified people in the state to do math or use common sense, then give them no training, trap them in a crate with blind folds to disorient them and then dump them into the concession booth right before kickoff

We're in 207 as well. There are no water fountains on the upper deck, the people in the concession stand could barely add one water bottle plus one soda,
the soda was warm, flat, had no ice and was not diet as ordered. The lemonade stand and the Dippin dots stand were both closed so no cold options available & all the "new" & "special" food options don't exist on the upper concourse.
The upper deck is treated like less than an afterthought.

ashame Im on a website arguing with the self appointed compliance police.
My point is, if these policies stay, or become even more restrictive I won't be The only one looking for other ways to spend my entertainment dollars.

Your point was already made.

You’re giving up all of your tickets and not donating anymore because your wife wasn’t allowed in with a purse 2 inches bigger than what was allowed for the past 3 or so years.

If that simple policy is causing you to do that...then I’m not sure how you manage through life and adapt to change, but good luck.

Your point was already made.

You’re giving up all of your tickets and not donating anymore because your wife wasn’t allowed in with a purse 2 inches bigger than what was allowed for the past 3 or so years.

If that simple policy is causing you to do that...then I’m not sure how you manage through life and adapt to change, but good luck.
Get a clue kid. "you do you"

Reactions: RU-AGK
When the team isn’t great and/or winning a lot of games all the fans have to look forward to is a positive experience. I agree that the fans need to understand the rules and adapt. At the same time, the overall fan experience needs to improve, or we better start winning a lot of games. There are still too many issues and inefficiencies on game day.

Reactions: Block R
Here's another experience. As I'm waiting for my wife to buy some type of merchandize by the entrance this guy is coming in, looks so familiar but can't place him. He's looking in my direction and find myself staring at him. Finally it hits me it's Coach Pikiell. So like a doofus I keep staring and he's now looking at me, as my stare has now gone to the point of serial killer. Walks up says, "hi how are you doing", I think I replied with something like uh good. My awkwardness was truly a spectacle to behold. Definitely not one of my finer moments.
I walked by coach AT THE END OF THE GAME, he was with his son. I said good luck coach, he smiled and said thank you AND I appreciate it..very nice man

We're in 207 as well. There are no water fountains on the upper deck, the people in the concession stand could barely add one water bottle plus one soda,
the soda was warm, flat, had no ice and was not diet as ordered. The lemonade stand and the Dippin dots stand were both closed so no cold options available & all the "new" & "special" food options don't exist on the upper concourse.
The upper deck is treated like less than an afterthought.
the upper deck refreshments are useless.. I would be more happy with vending machines for soda (cant do that because of lids) and wrapped pretzels like wawa..this should not be so difficult..

I would prefer they hire legends hospitality (yankees and cowboys)..Rutgers may make a little less but the feedback would be minimal..

if they want to make money, sell beer for half the game..

Reactions: MrsScrew
Hobbs has to create an over the top fun/positive fan experience at RU games.

Especially when attendance for pigskin and hoops is not that good to begin with.

Right now, there is too much LE in the lots and the ushers and security inside the stadium are not fan friendly.

I read an article somewhere (sorry no link) that Maryland ran a pilot program last year on selling beer in the stadiums and made 2 million in revenue and it actually reduced the number of alcohol related incidents because fans didn’t feel the need to get blasted before going in. Just something to think about but I doubt they’ll ever implement it.

Not a bad first game experience other than the cluster **** when trying to get into the stadium.

Im in my 31st year as a season ticketholder, Im with you....if things dont change then after this season I will reevaluate whether I want to renew. When the aggravation outweighs the entertainment, it may be time to spend my entertainment dollars elsewhere.
Well said my friend!

Hobbs has to create an over the top fun/positive fan experience at RU games.

Especially when attendance for pigskin and hoops is not that good to begin with.

Right now, there is too much LE in the lots and the ushers and security inside the stadium are not fan friendly.
Pat, you reading this? Something needs to change, quickly!

As someone who canceled his season tickets several years ago because of the distance (Connecticut) and the endless hassles described above, which seem to have gotten worse, it seems to me that unless Rutgers improves the game day experience, others will also decide that it is not worth the stress to drive long distances to attend these games and have to put up with so much crap and at great expense, especially when you have the option of watching each game in the comfort of your home on BTN..

Beat OSU and then crush Kansas and they could do open air strip searches and fill the stadium against Buffalo. Make it to the B1G championship game and they could institute public anal probes for hidden weapons and contraband and there would still be a real waiting list for season tickets. This is only an issue because we are currently a bottom feeder.

As someone who canceled his season tickets several years ago because of the distance (Connecticut) and the endless hassles described above, which seem to have gotten worse, it seems to me that unless Rutgers improves the game day experience, others will also decide that it is not worth the stress to drive long distances to attend these games and have to put up with so much crap and at great expense, especially when you have the option of watching each game in the comfort of your home on BTN..
People who complain, complain on the internet.
People who are happy usually don't express their happiness on the internet. Count us in the happy camp.
We were mildly annoyed when they would not let my wife bring in 2 protein bars for snacks. There is really nothing on the menu we have seen at the stadium that we would want to eat, and while there was a new healthy option with Horizon Blue Cross/Blue shield, the general experience at ANY stadium of getting up out of your seat to wade through crowds, stand in line, purchase your food etc. is not worth it to us to purchase food.

We, and many of the people in our section get to the game 15-30 minutes early and we do not leave our seats for the entire game. We are there to watch the game, and for us, you can't get the same feeling sitting in the comfort of your home (probably alone, or with a couple of other people) as sitting and watching the action live. Maybe it is being part of something larger than yourself. The feeling that you are participating, making noise on third down and helping the team by cheering. It is part of being a fan, and there is no better feeling than doing it for your alma mater. It is really irreplaceable.

But some people find a way to make it about themselves and their special need is more important than the safety and security of the 30,000, 40,000 or 50,000 other people, players, the band and people working at the stadium. The rules are really not that hard to follow.

Whenever I go to a new venue for a concert or sporting event, I go online and read the venue's rules to make sure I don't have any hassles on the way in. Maybe I am unique that way, but based on some posts here, it seems I am not.

There will always be those people who want to complain because they don't read the rules or don't want to follow them. I bend them at RU by sneaking waters in because I don't want to be bothered to get up to buy water at $4/bottle. If they discover my hidden water, I will drink it before going into the stadium and pee in the diaper I wear under my clothes so that I don't have to get up and interrupt my enjoyment of the game.

That last part was sarcasm. Even when I need to go, I wait for a TV timeout, shoot up the stairs, hit the bathrroom and I am back in my seat before play resumes.

People who complain, complain on the internet.
People who are happy usually don't express their happiness on the internet. Count us in the happy camp.
We were mildly annoyed when they would not let my wife bring in 2 protein bars for snacks. There is really nothing on the menu we have seen at the stadium that we would want to eat, and while there was a new healthy option with Horizon Blue Cross/Blue shield, the general experience at ANY stadium of getting up out of your seat to wade through crowds, stand in line, purchase your food etc. is not worth it to us to purchase food.

We, and many of the people in our section get to the game 15-30 minutes early and we do not leave our seats for the entire game. We are there to watch the game, and for us, you can't get the same feeling sitting in the comfort of your home (probably alone, or with a couple of other people) as sitting and watching the action live. Maybe it is being part of something larger than yourself. The feeling that you are participating, making noise on third down and helping the team by cheering. It is part of being a fan, and there is no better feeling than doing it for your alma mater. It is really irreplaceable.

But some people find a way to make it about themselves and their special need is more important than the safety and security of the 30,000, 40,000 or 50,000 other people, players, the band and people working at the stadium. The rules are really not that hard to follow.

Whenever I go to a new venue for a concert or sporting event, I go online and read the venue's rules to make sure I don't have any hassles on the way in. Maybe I am unique that way, but based on some posts here, it seems I am not.

There will always be those people who want to complain because they don't read the rules or don't want to follow them. I bend them at RU by sneaking waters in because I don't want to be bothered to get up to buy water at $4/bottle. If they discover my hidden water, I will drink it before going into the stadium and pee in the diaper I wear under my clothes so that I don't have to get up and interrupt my enjoyment of the game.

That last part was sarcasm. Even when I need to go, I wait for a TV timeout, shoot up the stairs, hit the bathrroom and I am back in my seat before play resumes.
Well said to many believe they are special and the rules do not apply to them. If you read these postings people are complaining about things from the minute they arrive to the minute they leave. It is incredible and sad and makes me so happy that I don’t have to deal with any of it where I park and where I sit.

Reactions: RUforester72
Well said to many believe they are special and the rules do not apply to them. If you read these postings people are complaining about things from the minute they arrive to the minute they leave. It is incredible and sad and makes me so happy that I don’t have to deal with any of it where I park and where I sit.
Agreed. Security for all comes first. These whiners have no idea what goes into security and what goes on behind the scenes of large venue events in today’s world. But they will be the first to scream and get a lawyer if somethin* bad happens.

Reactions: S_Janowski
When the team isn’t great and/or winning a lot of games all the fans have to look forward to is a positive experience. I agree that the fans need to understand the rules and adapt. At the same time, the overall fan experience needs to improve, or we better start winning a lot of games. There are still too many issues and inefficiencies on game day.
Exactly. If the team is winning, fans may overlook a subpar fan experience. But if the team is not winning and the subpar experience becomes magnified.

Since the same issues are raised every year, it would seem Rutgers should be able to figure out a way to address them.

For example, to address the small clutch bag issue, instead of giving security a 4.5x6.5 card and turning away women carrying a clutch a millimeter over the limit, Rutgers should give give security 5x7 cards with the 4.5x6.5 outline drawn on them. Women with clutches bigger than the outline but smaller than the card can be admitted with the warning that their clutch is too big and they might be turned away in the future. If the clutch is bigger than the card, then it is more that 1/2 inch too big, so there is less of an issue turning them away.

Also, communication is important. There would be less frustration if you knew your clutch was too big before you got to the gate. Then you could just leave it in the car before making the long walk to the stadium. That can be addressed with signage around the tailgate area the provide the bag policy and also have actual-size squares the you can hold your bag against to see if it within limits.

The no food or drink policy is tougher, since no one actually believes it is a security measure. (Pro stadiums in the area allow food and drink without security concerns. And while they may have metal detectors, metal detectors don't detect bottles of water.) More likely the food/drink policy is really a contractual requirement with Sodexo, and therefore won't be resolved until the contract ends.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT