ADVERTISEMENT

Football GAMEDAY THREAD: Rutgers vs. No. 2 Michigan

RU played better vs Mish the last 3 years compared to today.

But, GS def has the program headed in an upward direction
So much better that Harbaugh had to use a "trick play" to get his team moving against us.
He's the one that said Rutgers always does trick plays against us.
If ya cant see this is a better team than last year...

Reactions: RUDiddy777
I can see Maryland upsetting Michigan. They definitely won't get blown out like we did

A little concerned about the handful of false starts on the OL after having been devoid of these penalties through three.

Last comment on this game. If we were to play this game again learning what we saw, I think we would have opened up the passing game earlier. Then would have made the run game better. Future opponents can’t just let in the run game going forward.

Score may not show it, but we're getting better.
After a somewhat flukish td conversion on 3rd down Rutgers went 59 minutes without a score

Better but still so far away

The concerns i had from the first 3 games all showed up again on offense
Two things I takeaway from today’s game, Michigan will not be a # 2 for too long & Rutgers will continue to ruin my weekends even though I’m now officially retired .

• Haha
Reactions: Bababooey_Class'80
I am absolutely never positive about Rutgers football. Maybe because I can’t stand the coach. But this team is much improved and the score is not indicative of how the game was played. Easily could’ve been a 24-13 final.

You have a QB that runs 4.5 and big why the F are we not running against the play or naked bootlegging and letting him make a play...every single team does that and has success against us
Watch the film. You can see exactly how they played us and why we did not do that.

Reactions: RUinOhio and Kbee3
When McNulty was the OC, he had a quote that went something like “I’ll keep trying to find a play that doesn’t require us to execute or beat our man, but I don’t know if I’ll find it.”

I’m not a McNulty fan, but I think that quote explains the plight of our recent OCs. We’re getting better, and things seem simpler this year w/ KC (a good thing), but when you’re facing a 4th and 2 with WRs who aren’t going to create a lot of space on their own against good DBs, a mismatch on the lines, and a young QB with unreliable accuracy…there are few “good” calls. He tried an easy throw and a design that’s supposed to make room for the receiver. It didn’t work, but hard to blame him for calling it.
I didn't feel like we were outmatched at all. Both lines held up fairly well, WR was open but QB has to gain experience and accuracy and get them the ball and the QB is getting there. I think they need to put more skilled players on the field at one time for a different look. Where is Rochelle, the EO kid and the FL running back? Cant the catch a swing pass to open it up? The coaches are too tight .. they need to release the reins on the qb a bit. I did notice some questionable playcalling at times. I think you could do a lot with this team if they were able to somehow open things up and not play so scared. Good coached scheme to get receivers open. Every team does not have great WR but good coaches get them open anyway! I like the staff, just would like to see a few new wrinkles to add to our up-the-middle bootleg plays. I think the QB is a year away!

Last edited:
penalties, turn overs, We cant win when we commit both.
Refs had no bearing on us losing this game.
We got beat by a good football team.
We are a tough out for anybody on our schedule.
This. We missed our opportunities.

2 missed sacks, a dropped INT, a missed opportunity on the pick 6 (if GW holds longer it opens perfectly), a missed FG, another 4th down where the under route was wide open.

Against gummed up A gaps and man coverage, I’d run Snag over and over until they got out of it.
They consistently brought pressure off of the edge from depth. So you want to roll to heat or away? Are you optioning on the line to decide which way we are rolling or sprinting? What if they jam up the TE or H to the heat side (like they did).

Reactions: Kbee3
After a somewhat flukish td conversion on 3rd down Rutgers went 59 minutes without a score

Better but still so far away

The concerns i had from the first 3 games all showed up again on offense
We need an offense that can move the football & score. We need to be able to throw downfield and make big plays.
We do not have that. I dont really care for 15 play drives. Our offensive philosophy has been horrendous for 10 yrs. It just seems like all our routes are HS'ish. The play calling is HS'ish. I want to see a high powered college offense

Mich is not 24 pts better than us. GS needs to stop calling fair catches on every single punt & kickoff. Some of your best playmakers come from that group. Who is going to come here if that is your intention 100% of the time. We need playmakers on O and you are handcuffing your playmakers. JMO

Watch the film. You can see exactly how they played us and why we did not do that.
We have not run one naked bootleg all year. If the play is sliding right there will be space left. Hes got the speed, power & wiggle to make aplay

They consistently brought pressure off of the edge from depth. So you want to roll to heat or away? Are you optioning on the line to decide which way we are rolling or sprinting? What if they jam up the TE or H to the heat side (like they did).
Snag is just a 3-step, quick game concept. No roll required:

snag-saints-1-750x422.png

Do you mean the offense that didn't score for 59 minutes?
We passed up on two FG attempts (one was the pick-6) and missed another.

Now that I’ll conceived 4th down pass to the end zone — yeah, I expected more than that underwhelming design.

Snag is just a 3-step, quick game concept. No roll required:

snag-saints-1-750x422.png
So if they are in press man zero or press man free bringing serious heat, this MIGHT get open if the RB can get the flat. We have not shown a huge ability to beat that especially in pressure situations. I am not saying it is a bad play, but I do not know if we are going to get that off vs what UM was doing today.

Reactions: Kbee3
So if they are in press man zero or press man free bringing serious heat, this MIGHT get open if the RB can get the flat. We have not shown a huge ability to beat that especially in pressure situations. I am not saying it is a bad play, but I do not know if we are going to get that off vs what UM was doing today.
I’m just saying that I did not like the screen call against that particular look because the CBs have been cheating up all game long. That was asking to be picked, IMO since you have squatting pass defenders.

That’s why when you have cheating corners in man, you need to run them off and pass to an RB vs an LB which is a much better match up in space.

Reactions: Wagram97 and gef21
Someone alluded to earlier bit have never seen a personal foul flag picked up....targeting yes but how do you call it then decide no

Reactions: noble106
I didn't feel like we were outmatched at all. Both lines held up fairly well, WR was open but QB has to gain experience and accuracy and get them the ball and the QB is getting there. I think they need to put more skilled players on the field at one time for a different look. Where is Rochelle, the EO kid and the FL running back? Cant the catch a swing pass to open it up? The coaches are too tight .. they need to release the reins on the qb a bit. I did notice some questionable playcalling at times. I think you could do a lot with this team if they were able to somehow open things up and not play so scared. Good coached scheme to get receivers open. Every team does not have great WR but good coaches get them open anyway! I like the staff, just would like to see a few new wrinkles to add to our up-the-middle bootleg plays. I think the QB is a year away!

The lines weren’t embarrassed or anything, but—in the context of my post—it’s clear you wouldn’t call a run up the gut there with the expectation our line was going to bully their d-line forward for a first. Maybe you could come up with some eye candy to get the defense going the wrong way or something…but that’s my point: it had to be something kind of tricky given their personnel is better and we have some skill limitations

No. It was set up perfectly. The corner is supposed to be aggressive so he doesn't see the LT. GW threw it too quickly.
Again, 4th down and short calls (as well as 2pt conversions) should be plays that are practiced to death, so your QB doesn't "throw it too early".

Reactions: gef21
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT