ADVERTISEMENT

Georgetown

RU82

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 8, 2001
With their loss to Villanova last night, they have now officially displaced DePaul for sole possession of the longest conference losing streak in BE history. They have lost their last 25 straight conference games and counting.

When I think about all the lousy teams we had in the BE when it was an even stronger conference, I don’t know how it’s even possible to lose this many in a row. Ewing must be just a god awful coach.

With their loss to Villanova last night, they have now officially displaced DePaul for sole possession of the longest conference losing streak in BE history. They have lost their last 25 straight conference games and counting.

When I think about all the lousy teams we had in the BE when it was an even stronger conference, I don’t know how it’s even possible to lose this many in a row. Ewing must be just a god awful coach.

Wow. I can't think of any team in any conference that's pulled that off. Maybe Georgia Tech in their first two ACC seasons...

Patrick Ewing was my favorite player of all time growing up. I used to root for Georgetown bc of him before coming to Rutgers. So sad. So embarrassing 😢

sad role playing GIF by Hyper RPG

Wow. I can't think of any team in any conference that's pulled that off. Maybe Georgia Tech in their first two ACC seasons...
Eddie Jordan lost 32 in a row in the B1G

He went 2-2 in his first four games (including beat #4 Wisconsin). He lost all remaining 15 games the rest of that year. He went on to lose the first 17 conference games the next year. He beat an incredibly depleted Minnesota team in his last home game before getting canned.

Good times

Last edited:
Man seemed like a no-brainer for Georgetown to hire Ewing. Ewing was a LEGEND in college - he was THE Man on the Ultimate Bad Ass team - not to mention a HOF career in the NBA. I remember reading that it was a crime that Ewing was constantly being passed up for HC jobs as an assistant in the NBA - guess there was a reason. Did not think a Ewing coached Gtown team would be here - sad.

Georgetown and St John's hired the wrong coaches and paying dearly for it. Programs set back 10+ years

Sad and really surprised about GTown. I thought they and Nova would be the standard bearers of the diminished Big East.

Only BE team I can root for.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
I was a Rutgers fan and despised all these big east teams. Every one. And didn’t like the knicks. I thought a winning program like Georgetown didn’t need to hire someone who’d never been a head coach before. I’m surprised they’re this bad and am thankful for where we are. It’s amazing where we are. Nothing else really matters

I was a Rutgers fan and despised all these big east teams. Every one. And didn’t like the knicks. I thought a winning program like Georgetown didn’t need to hire someone who’d never been a head coach before. I’m surprised they’re this bad and am thankful for where we are. It’s amazing where we are. Nothing else really matters
I think the GTown hire had a lot to do with Patrick Ewing being the star pupil of JT Sr and what he did as a player putting the Hoyas on the map with a National Championship. Not all career assistants pan out as we well know.

Georgetown and St John's hired the wrong coaches and paying dearly for it. Programs set back 10+ years
Mike anderson bad hire too? Haven’t followed them much but I know they haven’t been in the tournament.
It seemed like Lavin and Mullin were adequate but St. John’s wrongly thought they could do better

I don’t know if it’s amazing where we are and where they are . Programs rise and fall. In the mid to late 70s we were maybe the top program in the east and in under 10 years we were the worst. Then we basically sucked for 40 years .
Thankful is right about being where we are.

It’s been way too many years since GTown and SJU have been relevant for them to get elite players unless they have a coach that can move the needle. These kids also travel now for AAU etc and they’ve been to different parts of the country. They all realize that they don’t need to stay in NYC or Wash DC.

I don’t see a path forward for either of them unless they get huge NIL money and/or a top coach.

It’s been way too many years since GTown and SJU have been relevant for them to get elite players unless they have a coach that can move the needle. These kids also travel now for AAU etc and they’ve been to different parts of the country. They all realize that they don’t need to stay in NYC or Wash DC.

I don’t see a path forward for either of them unless they get huge NIL money and/or a top coach.
exactly....their Big East heyday was a long time ago, give them credit for hanging on so long but the writing is going to be on the wall for them and even Seton Hall moving forward

exactly....their Big East heyday was a long time ago, give them credit for hanging on so long but the writing is going to be on the wall for them and even Seton Hall moving forward

I disagree. Georgetown is not Seton Hall. Georgetown is an elite school, a national brand name, an a historic basketball program. That's why it's shocking to me how bad it has gotten. With a hard working coach, you should easily be able to sell Ivy League quality education + national brand name + great basketball history + major conference exposure. It should be a slam dunk.

St. Johns and SHU have a much harder recruiting path.

I disagree. Georgetown is not Seton Hall. Georgetown is an elite school, a national brand name, an a historic basketball program. That's why it's shocking to me how bad it has gotten. With a hard working coach, you should easily be able to sell Ivy League quality education + national brand name + great basketball history + major conference exposure. It should be a slam dunk.

Normally, I would agree with you, but the historic brand name has taken a serious hit over several years at one of the worst possible times - the changing conference landscape. A lot of pressure to nail the next hire.

their issue is that they desperately want to cling to their history in the way they hire. This isnt 1984 anymore. The landscape of college basketball has changed. Forging a new history is important here. I think UConn ready to do that now with Hurley.

Look at their hires...Escherik, Thompson Jr, Ewing.......only Thompson Jr had great success but then quickly flamed out for some reason. Ewing just a bad hire IMO, why...what would make him think he can be a head coach of their program. At least Eddie was a coach. I cannot believe that after last years debacle Ewing wasnt canned and Im sure they are ruing that fluke ncaa appearance when they were a mediocre team that got hot to win the big east tourney

In some respects Seton Hall has carved a niche as a gritty school that does not have the pressure of carrying a name like Georgetown or St Johns.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT