ADVERTISEMENT

How Bad is Navy? Getting Walloped by Villanova

Caliknight

Legend
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2001
18-6 and it's still not over. Navy really has fallen off the map, even with those unlimited number of 4*s they bring in. Their coach probably is wishing he never left Marquette.

For the D1 football players will dominate a lacrosse field, we just aren't seeing it. Their starting attackman is Navy's starting QB. He gets shut down routinely. Ricky Miezan is the Pac 12 defensive footballer at Stanford. Transfers to Uva and doesn't score his first goal until the seventh game.

They’re struggling. I’ve heard there are issues with culture and the coach doesn’t necessarily lead by example in regards to what you’d expect out of a midshipman. Throw the injuries on top of that and BOOM! Regarding the 4 stars, I’d say never trust the IL player ratings. They miss on so many.

I don't have any insights into that program but it definitely looks like issues from the outside.

Can't imagine Navy will put up with this losing for too long.

Syracuse up 4-2 on a start up team, and looking very pedestrian while doing so.

Spallina isn't the one. Wonder how they are going to handle that situation. A ton is invested in him and his family.

Reactions: asgot
Navy has heavy injuries this year. Like 4 of the top 6 offensive players. Navy is struggling. I’d also add Nova is very good

I don't have any insights into that program but it definitely looks like issues from the outside.

Can't imagine Navy will put up with this losing for too long.

Syracuse up 4-2 on a start up team, and looking very pedestrian while doing so.

Spallina isn't the one. Wonder how they are going to handle that situation. A ton is invested in him and his family.
Spallina had 6 points tonight and is averaging over 4 per game as a freshman. 40 points on the season. Genuinely curious what you think he is lacking.

Spallina had 6 points tonight and is averaging over 4 per game as a freshman. 40 points on the season. Genuinely curious what you think he is lacking.

No offense but I think I could score on the Bonnies right now.

I think he's a fine player, but he's not generational like he was sold. His points come from games and teams they should be blowing teams out in. He got handled by Duke. He was handled by Maryland. ND will shut him down.

If you compare him to other number 1 ranked recruits, it just looks different. He's small and doesn't have the speed to be truly elite at this level. Not saying he won't be a good college player but look at Brennan Oneill who was also a number 1 ranked recruit. Faster, and much bigger. Seeing them on the field together was a stark difference. Oneill is older which is noted. Watch Millon who is the number 1 recruit this year. He is roughly the same size, probably a little taller, and definitely quicker. When you see it you don't have to debate it. It's very obvious.

I think he will be a good college player, but he's not generational. I think they have at another freshman who looks more like a top recruit. With all that Syracuse had to give him and his family to go there, if that were Rutgers, I'd be asking if the juice is worth the squeeze. It was a lot. I don't think giving him that number that means so much to them was a smart move either. I'd make someone earn that. I don't want to beat up on the kid too much. He will have a nice career, it just won't be to the level you see other guys with that hype have.

Last edited:
Reactions: FoxRU
Didn’t Rutgers scrimmage Villanova this year? Any insight on how they played against them?

We did. I won't say we handled them easily, but we handled them. I believe we beat them by 4 or 5 goals at the end of 4 quarters.

It should be noted they played their two big guns at midfield and we had a grip of guys sitting out. It's only a scrimmage and means nothing, but you can glean things from them.

I know this. If were to meet them in the tournament, our guys would go into that game very confident.

Reactions: Laxing4life
We did. I won't say we handled them easily, but we handled them. I believe we beat them by 4 or 5 goals at the end of 4 quarters.

It should be noted they played their two big guns at midfield and we had a grip of guys sitting out. It's only a scrimmage and means nothing, but you can glean things from them.

I know this. If were to meet them in the tournament, our guys would go into that game very confident.
I would also point out that Ross Scott did not dress due to a personal issue. The offense looked very different without him. Brecht used Eric Civetti in his place and he put in a good effort, but you could see things were not in sync. We started out slowly in the first quarter, much to the delight of the Nova faithful, but then the worm began to turn as we regained our footing in the second quarter.

Same thing with the defense, as our DMFs were in the early stsages of playing together.

Last two quarters were also back and forth, but I gave the edge to RU. Brecht used everybody but the kitchen sink, and I'm not sure I didn't see it fly by as well. You could see a lot of athleticism from the young guys off the bench.

Seeing how we have progressed, I don't think we would have much trouble if we caught them again. But that would depend on being healthy by that time.

I just looked at the official, at least as official as you can get for a scrimmage, box score again.

Rutgers won the game 14-11 after a huge 4th quarter. It doesn't look like there was a fifth quarter played. Freshman Shane Murphy had the most points for RU that day. He had a monster day going 5 and 3.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT