ADVERTISEMENT

How do we avoid being Kentucky next year?

My hope is that the fact that Pike is actually known for developing players vs Cal just lets them do their thing and relies solely on talent, will produce significantly different results

Reactions: RUDiddy777
It's luck of the draw. That 24 year old on Oakland was 10 for 20 from 3 and most of the shots were high level of difficulty. What can Pike do about it? Get a guy from the portal that can shoot like that.

Reactions: Plum Street
Bring in upper classmen from the portal so team is composed of experienced players / Install the defensive schemes that Pike excels at

And hope we don’t face a team and hot shooter like Oakland who was not intimidated by Kentucky and actually looked forward to playing them. 😢

My hope is that the fact that Pike is actually known for developing players vs Cal just lets them do their thing and relies solely on talent, will produce significantly different results
I want to believe that, and believe he still can develop talent, but who has he developed in the last couple of years?

This is why it’s a crapshoot. When you see a program like Kentucky and Kansas having issues , it sure as hell can happen to Rutgers too.
I think we are expecting too much next year . Realistic expectations should be top 5 in the BIG, a BIG semifinal appearance and win a game in the tournament.
Expect to do well in the regular season
Hope to do well in the postseason

This is why it’s a crapshoot. When you see a program like Kentucky and Kansas having issues , it sure as hell can happen to Rutgers too.
I think we are expecting too much next year . Realistic expectations should be top 5 in the BIG, a BIG semifinal appearance and win a game in the tournament.
Partially, but they got bounced in their first game in the SEC tourney also.

Cliff is 10x the player he was when he arrived here. Mag became one of the best defenders after looking lost his freshman year. But sometimes you can only develop so much before players hit their ceiling.
Cliff didn’t progress much at all in his time on the banks, especially offensively. Mag was rounding out nicely before his injury. But that’s two out of how many? So many recruits didn’t develop or work out at all. That has to change. The reputation as a developer of talent has to be re-earned. Maybe we’ll see it with Sommerville, Dortch and Grant.

Cliff didn’t progress much at all in his time on the banks, especially offensively. Mag was rounding out nicely before his injury. But that’s two out of how many? So many recruits didn’t develop or work out at all. That has to change. The reputation as a developer of talent has to be re-earned. Maybe we’ll see it with Sommerville, Dortch and Grant.
I was limiting it to guys transferring it this year. Tons of players have developed a ton with pike - Eugene, Myles, Ron, Caleb, geo, etc. look at their rankings and then look at their production. Now look at that for Kentucky. Knight and day.

I was limiting it to guys transferring it this year. Tons of players have developed a ton with pike - Eugene, Myles, Ron, Caleb, geo, etc. look at their rankings and then look at their production. Now look at that for Kentucky. Knight and day.
My original response asked the “last couple years”. Dean, Oskar, Miller, Chol, Wilf, Derek? The players you named seem like ages ago now.

It's luck of the draw. That 24 year old on Oakland was 10 for 20 from 3 and most of the shots were high level of difficulty. What can Pike do about it? Get a guy from the portal that can shoot like that.
Sometimes you just run into a kid who has a hot hand. There is nothing you can do about that.

Run an offense. Some sets designed to get the talent you have in positions to score. Far too much 1v1/hero ball by UK down the stretch.
Kentucky didn’t loose because of their offense. They lost because of their defense. They gave up 80 to Oakland and 32 points to a d2 transfer.

Kentucky didn’t loose because of their offense. They lost because of their defense. They gave up 80 to Oakland and 32 points to a d2 transfer.
Just my opinion on how RU avoids what just happened to UK. With Pike I’m not too worried about D

Experienced, big tough rebounding/shot blocking center. Bring in experienced scoring guard that can shoot...bring in a experienced 6'5"-6'8" 3 and d guy that can guard 1-4 and knock down occasional 3. Bring in these three things from the portal and I'm bullish..

Plum nails it again! Mark it down.

For some of the usual "fans" that overreact to everything and have pre ejaculation syndromes , yes be realistic but optimistic . Also be loyal and not shyt head bandwagon supporters.

Plum nails it again! Mark it down.
It might be a realistic expectation but not a satisfactory one with two elite one and done recruits.The following year could be far worse with no NCAA bid which doesn't happen at Kansas and Kentucky.

When it comes to the Ncaa tourney there are no guarantees, Looking at Kentucky with their history of one and dones there are no guarantees, freshman tend to be notoriously inconsistent, seeding and the draws, is another huge factor, experience plays a big role. Best bet for RU would be to acquire some upper class experience, ideally with a little tournament experience. Oh and who you bring in much fit in and embrace the program culture. In reality it's a roll of the dice all Pike and staff Can do is get a couple of high level portal guys ( a 2 guard that can knock down threes) and an experienced center who has an offensive game and play reasonable defense. Not to mention the necessary money to get them here.

My original response asked the “last couple years”. Dean, Oskar, Miller, Chol, Wilf, Derek? The players you named seem like ages ago now.
Oskar developed and although most of you will never admit it, Derek did develop on D, ball handling, passing and rebounding.

Reactions: cshelley

Two years ago, we had just lost to ND in the play-in-game of the tourney and were saying goodbye to Baker, RHJ, and Jacob Young.... all of whom developed under Pike. Last year we said goodbye to McConnell, Mulcahy, and Spencer - all of whom developed under Pike.

This year, we say goodbye to Oskar and Omoruyi, who both developed under Pike.

This was a down year - we lost most of the players who had been developed, two unexpectedly. Chol and Miller never panned out, and Simpson/Woolfolk hit sophomore slumps. To use this year as evidence that "Pike doesn't develop players" is just having an axe to grind.

Supposed we are a 3/4/5 seed next year.
Would we be a popular upset pick?

Team likely led by 2 freshman.
HC Pike has never had a team with such high expectations.
Completely new roster with less than 1 year of playing together.

As mentioned previously, we don't have great recent success in the Big Ten/NCAA tournaments.
Mostly 1 win and out.
Coming off a 2023-2024 that was a disaster.

Likely, a good run in the 2025 Big Ten Tournament will be needed to avoid being an popular upset pick in the NCAA tourney.

Two years ago, we had just lost to ND in the play-in-game of the tourney and were saying goodbye to Baker, RHJ, and Jacob Young.... all of whom developed under Pike. Last year we said goodbye to McConnell, Mulcahy, and Spencer - all of whom developed under Pike.

This year, we say goodbye to Oskar and Omoruyi, who both developed under Pike.

This was a down year - we lost most of the players who had been developed, two unexpectedly. Chol and Miller never panned out, and Simpson/Woolfolk hit sophomore slumps. To use this year as evidence that "Pike doesn't develop players" is just having an axe to grind.
Don’t toss JY in there, he was done at Rutgers 3 years ago not 2. Love Geo and RHJ, they really did blossom under Pike. But that’s it to me really.

MCConnel did, defensively. He was an awesome defender. But his offensive game really never developed. Paul, while I wish he never left, many on here were complaining was the same player leaving as he was coming in. Same with Cliff. Pike didn’t develop Cam, he left the same he came in and was a one year player. And Oskar, while a great teammate, didn’t improve as a player. Derek and Wolf didn’t slump, the regressed. That’s anti developed.

Listen, I dont want Pike to go anywhere. And I love the guys who wear scarlet, but to just give Pike the label forever of great developer of talent isn’t accurate. He was. I hope he is again. I believe he will be. But it’s been a couple years for him. Agree to disagree with you. Have a good weekend!

Reactions: Shelby65
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT