ADVERTISEMENT

How to improve our NIL coffers

RRRRUUUU

Senior
Nov 19, 2005
The problem with donating to NIL right now is that it is a public good (thanks Econ 101 @ RU). That is to say, if I donate $1,000 to NIL, the public (all RU fans) benefit equally. That comes with the “free rider” problem (I’ll just let the next guy donate and I’ll keep my $).

There’s also the problem of feeling like my little contribution of $200 doesn’t make a dent. But here’s an idea to solve or at least improve it.

We create membership tiers for season ticket holders (silver $10/game, gold $20/game, platinum $50/game). And something symbolizing that teir is on your seat back. So I can see the guy next to me is either silver, gold, platinum, or a “free rider.” Being able to identify that I think will lead to people contributing more or contributing some as opposed to not at all. Yes this is peer pressure but with 6k non student seats x $15 a game on average x 18 games = $1.6mm in additional NIL. That’s an elite center and a decent shooter.

The answer to improving NIL and Rutgers financial situation is a simple one that most fans don’t care to hear.

It is in our own hands. We are the program. The first step, if you truly care to raise program expectations, is to 1) accept that fact 2) desire to individually give more to RFund and NIL in an amount more then any other college football fan of another program that you know.

The next step is to be actively recruiting your RU friends to either start giving or increase their giving in that same framework.

If you can’t do those things or worse choose not to do those things then it’s time to be ok with the status quo. Which is totally fine to do.

People can drag their feet and say nothing matters because we don’t have an angel donor. Nobody gets angel donors out of nowhere. You need a big building passionate fan base that an angel donor would even want to be a part of to begin with.

If I know I’m giving more than my college football fan friends who went to Michigan wvu Iowa Clemson etc I know I’m beating the competition where I can. We all need to choose how much we want it imo.

The problem with donating to NIL right now is that it is a public good (thanks Econ 101 @ RU). That is to say, if I donate $1,000 to NIL, the public (all RU fans) benefit equally. That comes with the “free rider” problem (I’ll just let the next guy donate and I’ll keep my $).

There’s also the problem of feeling like my little contribution of $200 doesn’t make a dent. But here’s an idea to solve or at least improve it.

We create membership tiers for season ticket holders (silver $10/game, gold $20/game, platinum $50/game). And something symbolizing that teir is on your seat back. So I can see the guy next to me is either silver, gold, platinum, or a “free rider.” Being able to identify that I think will lead to people contributing more or contributing some as opposed to not at all. Yes this is peer pressure but with 6k non student seats x $15 a game on average x 18 games = $1.6mm in additional NIL. That’s an elite center and a decent shooter.
It's not a bad idea to do something along these lines. People do like to keep up with the Jones'

Reactions: Eagleton96
The answer to improving NIL and Rutgers financial situation is a simple one that most fans don’t care to hear.

It is in our own hands. We are the program. The first step, if you truly care to raise program expectations, is to 1) accept that fact 2) desire to individually give more to RFund and NIL in an amount more then any other college football fan of another program that you know.

The next step is to be actively recruiting your RU friends to either start giving or increase their giving in that same framework.

If you can’t do those things or worse choose not to do those things then it’s time to be ok with the status quo. Which is totally fine to do.

People can drag their feet and say nothing matters because we don’t have an angel donor. Nobody gets angel donors out of nowhere. You need a big building passionate fan base that an angel donor would even want to be a part of to begin with.

If I know I’m giving more than my college football fan friends who went to Michigan wvu Iowa Clemson etc I know I’m beating the competition where I can. We all need to choose how much we want it imo.
I’m in a happy medium with this. I do my part donate what I can afford to and talk it up with those who do the same

I get irritated by those who like to talk about all these topics but not contribute to it. The guy who says we can’t compete but also donated 0 money to the cause and wonders why we don’t compete is the person I have no time for

I’m in a happy medium with this. I do my part donate what I can afford to and talk it up with those who do the same

I get irritated by those who like to talk about all these topics but not contribute to it. The guy who says we can’t compete but also donated 0 money to the cause and wonders why we don’t compete is the person I have no time for

The goal of this would get that guy that donates 0 to give >0. There are thousands of those guys. It will add up. And we all win.

Have TKR partner with KnightsRarotan to
Create shields that represent status of NIL donor on this site. They have to negotiate how that would work in term of compensation etc

Then you can have a shield and your NIL tier attached to that based on the database they
Keep. Same type of premise but in different places.

Than you could see who backs up their BS

Honestly, I have always donated to Rutgers Athletics but am confused as to where my donation would have the most impact on our NIL fund. What are your recommendations?

Honestly, I have always donated to Rutgers Athletics but am confused as to where my donation would have the most impact on our NIL fund. What are your recommendations?
Donating to NIL right now is more important than giving directly to RU a this time…IMHO

Reactions: RUPete

If it wasn't for the bizzaro world half student/half pro athlete world we are in, then the universities would just add this donation onto the ticket prices and nobody would bat an eyelash.

Meanwhile, good idea.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Seems like hoops has plenty of NIL money with the Harper and Bailey signing so not sure what people are complaining about.

Donating to NIL right now is more important than giving directly to RU a this time…IMHO
Had to judge that IMO. School needs money also to fund scholarships and infrastructure plans.

Buying a kid for what may only be a year is tough business

Nice idea BUT based on the current rules it can't be tied to anything related to a university including ticket sales.

Nice idea BUT based on the current rules it can't be tied to anything related to a university including ticket sales.
Yup would be a lot easier if it was part of ticket sales. In this case I wonder if there is a creative solution.

Like TKR buys the advertising space of the seat backs from RU. And then they transact with holders for the NIL piece

Before any of this we need all posters, fans and alums to give to Rutgers and Rutgers only.

None of our fans should be giving or funding others school NIL or analytics funds.

I can’t imagine a Rutgers alum giving to a school they didn’t attend, but I heard this happens ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT