ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball INSTANT REACTION: Rutgers Basketball falls to Minnesota 81-70

Difference in the game is 3-pointers. RU 4-18, MN 8/16
The difference was their defense. Not alot of uncontested looks....way too many out of control finishes at the rim...or should I say lack of finishes. Minny dominated that game. We just made it look better at the end

Ordinary? Really? He can’t shoot, can’t defend, can’t pass and can’t rebound. How is that ordinary?
Kid needs to spend alot more time in the gym and get stronger . The kids a great shooter you can see it. Game needs to slow down for him his shots will fall.

I want to see a closer look at that 3 pointer he took that fell 10 feet short of the hoop. It wasn’t blocked for sure. He either short armed it worse than i’ve ever seen or there was contact on the elbow.
Yea would like to see a close up replay bc no one misses by that much without getting fouled. He was multiple feet short of the rim

Gotta give Minny credit they took JW out of the game. We are extremely ordinary w/o him playing at a high level. I honestly think we match up much better with Purdue than with Minny. Saw it early in the game very tough matchup tonite
From my perspective, I didn’t see it quite like that. You kind of saw a very similar JW, driving as normal to 10 feet then trying the floater, the lob or kick out. Cliff wasn’t getting the rolls we’ve seen. He missed a couple and also just wasn’t being assertive, but i think it was there for him.

Disagree. Unfortunately, we will never know.
Cam would have had a tough night period. We did not move the ball well at all tonight. Minny played smother defense. All his shots would have been contested. He would have had to create his own tonight.
Tonight we should have owned the 15-18 ft shot it was there

Ordinary? Really? He can’t shoot, can’t defend, can’t pass and can’t rebound. How is that ordinary?
I think you’re underestimating this kid. Give him a summer to learn about my moving without the ball and the weight room and this kid can turn out to be a contributor.

I really have no idea what’s going on with Gavin? Was his competition bad in high school? I’m so confused. He looks scared
You can’t tell by how people appear but it doesn’t look like he loves the game. D1 sports are a grind. A full time job. You better love it or it’s not going to be a fun experience.

Cam would have had a tough night period. We did not move the ball well at all tonight. Minny played smother defense. All his shots would have been contested. He would have had to create his own tonight.
Tonight we should have owned the 15-18 ft shot it was there
I must have missed it, didn’t think Minnesotas defense was noteworthy. Again, 70 points on the road is pretty good.

I think you’re underestimating this kid. Give him a summer to learn about my moving without the ball and the weight room and this kid can turn out to be a contributor.
I am not saying that will/cannot happen. You called him ordinary. Right now, he is just a terrible player and certainly not worthy of the ratings this and the other site gave him. What worries me most is how unathletic he is.

From my perspective, I didn’t see it quite like that. You kind of saw a very similar JW, driving as normal to 10 feet then trying the floater, the lob or kick out. Cliff wasn’t getting the rolls we’ve seen. He missed a couple and also just wasn’t being assertive, but i think it was there for him.
Just watched the Minny presser… Extreme focus on J Will. The tape is out, ain’t gonna be that easy now. Gotta hit Js and Simpson and J Mike will have opportunities

Reactions: Knightmoves
I am not saying that will/cannot happen. You called him ordinary. Right now, he is just a terrible player and certainly not worthy of the ratings this and the other site gave him. What worries me most is how unathletic he is.
Actually , he is athletic. He just doesn’t seem to have any court sense. I think the game is still too fast for him at this level. I’m also wondering if Pike and staff want him to shoot right away when he gets out there, which I believe is wrong.

I feel like Pikiell is telling him to shoot when he gets the ball. He strikes me as a team player, unselfish and someone that listen’s unquestionably to his coach. It all looks bad most times, i just hope he wants to put his confidence behind the kid and let it pay dividends (probably sooner than the current point was the hope)

I want to see a closer look at that 3 pointer he took that fell 10 feet short of the hoop. It wasn’t blocked for sure. He either short armed it worse than i’ve ever seen or there was contact on the elbow.
Neither Pikiell (the shot was right in front of him) or Griffiths reacted like they thought there was a foul.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Actually , he is athletic. He just doesn’t seem to have any court sense. I think the game is still too fast for him at this level. I’m also wondering if Pike and staff want him to shoot right away when he gets out there, which I believe is wrong.
I don’t see a lot of athleticism whatsoever. If he had it, he would defend and rebound better. I will say he actually has improved on defense but he has gone the other way on offense. He doesn’t seem to have any confidence that he could make a shot. He is 1-17 in February

Reactions: kcg88
I don’t see a lot of athleticism whatsoever. If he had it, he would defend and rebound better. I will say he actually has improved on defense but he has gone the other way on offense. He doesn’t seem to have any confidence that he could make a shot. He is 1-17 in February
He is athletic. When he dribbles he shows his athletic ability. He just hasn’t shown the ability to finish. So what should we do with this kid? Let him transfer or develop him?

I looked a couple of times, the defender did contest at the hands. It's possible it was tipped.
I really don’t think so, look at best like the defender was just running at his chest to scare the shooter, not anywhere close to his hand or ball

I really don’t think so, look at best like the defender was just running at his chest to scare the shooter, not anywhere close to his hand or ball
Nah. The defender made a very good closeout.

SJc5mI5.jpg

He is athletic. When he dribbles he shows his athletic ability. He just hasn’t shown the ability to finish. So what should we do with this kid? Let him transfer or develop him?
If he could shoot the ball like he was supposed to then I think he is worth developing. What is further baffling though is he is not even a good free throw shooter

Reactions: kcg88
I think he's athletic, he just looks a little goofy - LOL.

Reactions: RU MAN and Scangg
When you don't run much of an offense players tend to force shots. That's what JWill did tonight.

Reactions: Bobbydigital_83
He got in early, screwed up, and sat rest of the game watching Wolf get abused

He was first off the bench to replace Cliff. He had a horrible defensive possession where he got burned for an and 1. Immediately yanked and not seen again

Meanwhile Wolf getting abused all over and he just keeps him out there. Really frustrating

Mystery? Was 1st option off the bench for Cliff. Then never saw the court again in favor of Wolf. Wolf proceeded to just make mistake after mistake, but Pike just kept trotting him out.

I was distracted at the start, so missed seeing him. Interesting that he never went back in. Gotta be a reason, wonder what it was.

Nah. The defender made a very good closeout.

SJc5mI5.jpg
That's excellent defense. Griffiths is tall and elevated with that jumper. Not an easy shot to get a piece of

With his luck this season, that was going in and would have been the start of a 3 point barrage

Reactions: RUDiddy777
That's excellent defense. Griffiths is tall and elevated with that jumper. Not an easy shot to get a piece of

With his luck this season, that was going in and would have been the start of a 3 point barrage
In hindsight that early in the shot clock maybe Gavin could've seen it coming and pump faked and swung it to the corner but if he's a shooter then yeah, shoot that. I watch some of the shots that go down for guys like Sandfort and he can make them even over a good closeout.

In hindsight that early in the shot clock maybe Gavin could've seen it coming and pump faked and swung it to the corner but if he's a shooter then yeah, shoot that. I watch some of the shots that go down for guys like Sandfort and he can make them even over a good closeout.
Wolf in the corner does nothing for the offense. Just a bit unlucky on that play

Wolf in the corner does nothing for the offense. Just a bit unlucky on that play
There was one last with Wolf in where our spacing led to a bucket and the color guy pointed it out. Of course he wasn't doing anything defensively either. I'd like to see Hyatt or Mag as a small ball 5 when Cliff is out but asking them to bang with Payne is impossible when we already have no wing depth and ultimately it'd tire them out more and mean more Gavin minutes which has its own drawbacks.

Reactions: Scangg
There was one last with Wolf in where our spacing led to a bucket and the color guy pointed it out. Of course he wasn't doing anything defensively either. I'd like to see Hyatt or Mag as a small ball 5 when Cliff is out but asking them to bang with Payne is impossible when we already have no wing depth and ultimately it'd tire them out more and mean more Gavin minutes which has its own drawbacks.
#FreeChol

I think the hope is with the class coming in he can be a catch and shoot guy. He clearly has a nice stroke. But if he doesn't give better effort on D Pike isn't going to give him many minutes no matter what. He just seems not engaged. For a 6'8" kid to get his shot blocked on a three pointer in the flow of the game, it's almost like it's disinterest. Whatever it is he's not catching up with the speed of the game and the effort needed at this level. It's almost March. The light should have been well on by now.

I think the hope is with the class coming in he can be a catch and shoot guy. He clearly has a nice stroke. But if he doesn't give better effort on D Pike isn't going to give him many minutes no matter what. He just seems not engaged. For a 6'8" kid to get his shot blocked on a three pointer in the flow of the game, it's almost like it's disinterest. Whatever it is he's not catching up with the speed of the game and the effort needed at this level. It's almost March. The light should have been well on by now.
Simpson and Davis aren’t distributors. JWill isn’t quite as bad but he has tunnel vision too. They are ball-dominant iso chuckers There is no purposeful ball perimeter ball movement. GG is a 5th wheel. He does force shots on the rare occasion he touches the ball

JWill keeps his head up and looks for guys constantly. He's the best player we have. He rebounds, he can score when needed, he can shoot, he defends. He's what Pike wants in a guard. It isn't a surprise we reeled off 4 straight when he entered the picture.
Nah, he’s not looking for guys, especially perimeter players. He‘s a big, physical guard who can get to the hoop and convert. He’s certainly our best 1 on 1 player. but the fact remains that our 3 main guards are ball dominant and the other players get lost in the shuffle. They did get Cliff good looks in the first half but the guard selfishness sank us beginning with our last first half possession(Simpson) through the end of the game.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
He’s our assist leader every game now. If guys could shoot he’d have even more. Agree on the other guys but not Jwill. He’s the only guy we have that looks up for his teammates.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT