ADVERTISEMENT

Invite to B10 revisited & Tim's involvement.

Pernetti gets credit for sealing the deal . But I think if mulchahy was still Ad he would have got us into the BIG too. I think any competent AD would have. But pernetti was the guy in the position at the time and he gets kudos for getting it done. His coaching hires however left a lot to be desired. Flood and rice and wanting to keep Fred hill jr before the guy lost it at a basebal game.
I mean I guess that was better than littlepage-shea.

Pernetti gets credit for sealing the deal . But I think if mulchahy was still Ad he would have got us into the BIG too. I think any competent AD would have. But pernetti was the guy in the position at the time and he gets kudos for getting it done. His coaching hires however left a lot to be desired. Flood and rice and wanting to keep Fred hill jr before the guy lost it at a basebal game.
I get what you just said, yes coaching hires were a disaster. With that said, he would have grown into that position I believe and he bleeds Scarlet. He worked overtime to convince The Big 10 we belonged! He should forever be remembered and honored in some way, shape or form.

Excellent article by Politi. I do think there should be a little more focus on the other things that drove it. Frankly the BIG was beginning to get left behind the SEC. Fertile recruiting grounds were a factor I believe. Also the academic fit, large state school etc. RU fits. He did mention and I have no doubt the market drive it but think the other things should be also highlighted.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
Excellent article by Politi. I do think there should be a little more focus on the other things that drove it. Frankly the BIG was beginning to get left behind the SEC. Fertile recruiting grounds were a factor I believe. Also the academic fit, large state school etc. RU fits. He did mention and I have no doubt the market drive it but think the other things should be also highlighted.
I'm sure other factors will be included. Remember it's the first article in a series, mostly featuring on Tim's drive to get it across the goal line.

Reactions: pmvon
This. The article, from last year, truly shows how much credit Pernetti should get for securing our spot in the B1G, which is huge for Rutgers and I'll always thank him for that. However, we don't get in if we're not 35 miles from NYC and a large state land-grant university that is an AAU member - and without Delany seeing the potential for our impact on market share for the B1G stemming from the success of the football program under Schiano (and supported by Mulcahy). And Pernetti, unfortunately, completely effed up the Rice situation by not convincing Barchi to fire him when the tape surfaced, resulting in probably the worst sports scandal in RU's athletic history.

This. The article, from last year, truly shows how much credit Pernetti should get for securing our spot in the B1G, which is huge for Rutgers, and I'll always thank him for that. However, we don't get in if we're not 35 miles from NYC and a large state land-grant university that is an AAU member - and without Delany seeing the potential for our impact on market share for the B1G stemming from the success of the football program under Schiano (and supported by Mulcahy). And Pernetti, unfortunately, completely effed up the Rice situation by not convincing Barchi to fire him when the tape surfaced, resulting in probably the worst sports scandal in RU's athletic history.
Yes.

He was a great color guy (teamed with Ray Lucas) for Tom McCarthy.

Best booth IMO.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
lol we already provided every detail anyone needs to know. Pernetti didn't do squat, he was just in the chair

Yes.

He was a great color guy (teamed with Ray Lucas) for Tom McCarthy.

Best booth IMO.
we were target number 1 after nebraska addition. UMD was 2nd and they made the first call:) BIG took lots of calls but they had a 'board of who fit and who didn't based on a variety of factors. akin to a draft card if you will.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT