ADVERTISEMENT

It is a done deal? BigTen Is Canceling Football Season Tuesday?

Cardiomyopathy, deep vein thrombosis, pulmonary embolism, arterial occlusion, heart attack, stroke, irreversible destruction of lung tissue, cardiac arrythmias... how's that for a start? Then add all cascading problems each one of these can cause. From The Mayo Clinic: "We're really seeing a number of reports of people who report long-term fatigue, headaches, vertigo (and), interestingly enough, difficulties with cognition, hair loss, cardiac issues, and diminished cardiorespiratory fitness. And I think what we're going to find out is that a large portion ― not all, but a large portion of that ― is likely to relate to the significant cellular-level damage that this virus can cause," says Dr. Poland. This is happening not only to the symptomatic cases, but also those who were aymptomatic or had very mild cases. I hope that helps you understand a bit better.

Well said, but people with zero scientific knowledge will still say you don't know what you're talking about. The Anti-Science folks follow the Anti-Science POTUS pretty strongly.

you must be suffering from the long term complications of COVID.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6930e1.html

of course, at this point there can be nothing conclusive as we are only 6 months into this but plenty of early indications that are causing doctors to sound alarms. Again, keep being the guy to minimize and prolonging the problem for everyone else.
Never had it. Nice backtrack.

Wonder what all the "shut up and play" bros will have to say about that.
Not one of those guys but I'll say, have they ever looked for myocarditis before? Do we have any idea how prevalent that condition is in the overall population and overall populations of college students and college athletes and LARGE college athletes and LARGE football players?

Do we know it was caused by CoVid-19 or could it have been another virus, like regular flu? Was a harsh flu season.. right?

from early 2018.. myocarditis in athletes

Last edited:
Looks like PA has canceled all HS sports until 2021. Watching the local philly news this morning, this has more implications than just no sports/football. Some of these kids need sports to keep them out of trouble, with no sports, what are they going to do after school?

Love my numbuz,
"I'm Certain"
"crystal clear"
"nearly as frequently"
"well regarded"
"Israeli school"
"very likely"
"usually to the primary source"
"pretty damn well"
"very difficult to obtain"
"certainly the way to bet"
"doesn't mean its impossible"
"very carefully"
"most kids"
"big part"
"cases are way up"
"given the relaxation"

That's it. Cancel. Or is it "cancell"?
You’re right, let’s wait for complete certainty until we do anything or address the disease to avoid infections that have the possibility or probability of killing or substantially injuring people. What a joke.

Your thoughts on the matter are not popular, but I'm with you on this one. A lot of people see players as nothing more than gladiators. It's either :ThumbsUp or :ThumbsDown in their mind. Long term health is an afterthought.
Thank you Cubuff!!! As a parent of a player, I have been saying the same for years.
And the reality is that while most of the Players "kids" would most likely vote to play...we all felt like we were untouchable at that age. The same kids would also most likely vote to play even if they were told that they would lose 10 years off their lifespan if they played this year.
Ask most of the parents though, if their son could keep a year of eligibility and not play this year, ALL but those with NFL in their eyes or some very callous parents, would vote to NOT play.
Some of you have to take a deep breath and see these kids as just normal humans that sit at the breakfast table with family and loved ones. We are seeing entire teams with quarantine, we are getting reports of players in hospitals, players with some serious effects that could or could not have long term health issues. And many of these kids, may be young and elite athletes but they already have their bodies at max capacity and are in the "at risk" categories.
Sorry, but if there is a single chance that my son could be one of those that have an issue from this virus, then why the F would I put him in that situation?

Hopefully the BIG is aware of this great development before they make the decision today!! Looks like Corona is DONE!

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/russia-registers-virus-vaccine-putins-daughter-72300985
Putin's daughter got a shot, you know if must be safe and effective. The bigger story is that even in the West we will likely have a vaccine in early October, what is the rush to cancel the fall season by these presidents? Start the season the third week in October, not brain surgery.

Both sides--everybody calm down, please. Stop all the hyperbole, hissy fits and virtue-signaling. It's disgusting and childish-- like arguments between children on a playground.
At what point should folks be allowed to be angry? Is there a particular death rate or positivity rate where you'd buy into our argument to pause, mask, distance, and test? Is there some statistical threshold of long term damage to players, coaches, and staff where you'd be, like, whoa, maybe we need a break from football...? Where you might even raise your voice up against people with an even higher threshold for destruction than you have?

Im not saying the season should happen on time but the heart issue seems like a silly one to me. It’s seems to be very rare and now that we know it is possible then just have all the players pass a test to make sure they dont have inflammation of the heart. We probably weren’t looking for this with other diseases like the flu. Are we certain that this didn’t occasionally occur to patients that got the flu? As a poster pointed out above if we are going to go to this length then anyone who gets a concussion should never be allowed on the field. Players with any injuries shouldn’t be allowed on the field because they are at a reduced rate of protecting themselves which puts them in a vulnerable position. At some point you have to let the person decide for themselves if they want to play. Risk to yourself is different from spreading the disease issues.

Well said, but people with zero scientific knowledge will still say you don't know what you're talking about. The Anti-Science folks follow the Anti-Science POTUS pretty strongly.
I don't want to get caught up in the cross-fire, but there are quite a few prominent scientists who are not in favor of continued/extended lockdowns. This "anti-science" rhetoric comes off as a bit haughty. Indeed, there is a vocal contingent of anti-science folks who want to ignore science, but let's not act like the science folks are monolithic in their view on how we proceed forward.

The quote from @LETSGORU91 has shock value, but it is a snippet of a longer discussion. This is not an attack on you or @LETSGORU91 . I'm out on this.

https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/long-term-symptoms-complications-of-covid-19/

At what point should folks be allowed to be angry? Is there a particular death rate or positivity rate where you'd buy into our argument to pause, mask, distance, and test? Is there some statistical threshold of long term damage to players, coaches, and staff where you'd be, like, whoa, maybe we need a break from football...? Where you might even raise your voice up against people with an even higher threshold for destruction than you have?
You completely misread my posts, and you read way too much into what I am thinking. You are good at the art of subtly attacking people for "views" they don't necessarily hold.

Adults can make their own choices. Some pro athletes have opted out of participating in their sports. That is their choice, and their choice should be respected, not denigrated. On the same token, if college athletes (who are adults, after all) and/or their parents want to participate or not participate in college athletics, that is their choice. Neither choice should be denigrated or criticized.

Please stop with your holier than thou nonsense.

Last edited:
Here’s a fact - not one teacher or child care teacher has a Covid case tied back to the classroom.

Disputable. From the Charlotte, NC area:

"Because of the setting in which they occur, it is harder to determine if a cluster began and spread within the facility, or from the community."

We have seen too many clusters in Day Care Centers to believe this isn't getting transmitted in classroom. Now that schools are open in Georgia and some other southern states, we'll likely see more storied like this. Of the 38 public schools in Cherokee County Georgia, 8 of the school implemented quarantine procedures. We should know by next week whether the infected students passed the illness onto classmates or teachers.

Reactions: Greg2020
I don't want to get caught up in the cross-fire, but there are quite a few prominent scientists who are not in favor of continued/extended lockdowns. This "anti-science" rhetoric comes off as a bit haughty. Indeed, there is a vocal contingent of anti-science folks who want to ignore science, but let's not act like the science folks are monolithic in their view on how we proceed forward.

The quote from @LETSGORU91 has shock value, but it is a snippet of a longer discussion. This is not an attack on you or @LETSGORU91 . I'm out on this.

https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/long-term-symptoms-complications-of-covid-19/

"Believe science" means believe my science and ignore (or attack) any other science

Can we talk about something really important here?

I want to know -- if the season is cancelled, should I cancel BTN for a year (or for the next several months, if the season is pushed back to Spring)? I'm sure that there are those here who would tell me that I'm not a real fan if I cancel BTN and that only hurts the member schools. But, how many more times can I watch the same games from 10 years ago?

Reactions: beaced
Lol. Weak person. Can’t admit when you are wrong. Ask for proof which is provided and you come back with this. Pathetic.
Hahaha, after I used a quote from the very article he posted disproving his original statement.

Love destroying these chimps.

HAhaha these guys have been angry for four years.

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
HAhaha these guys have been angry for four years.
exactly Cali! Time to open up, get to herd immunity as quickly as possible, Keep those who are vulnerable isolated, begin to live life, MAGA like no tommorrow when President Trump wins reelection and cheer on the new revived scarlet knights under coach schiano!

LOL shouldn't we have long-term, legitimate peer-reviewed scientific studies of purported long-term effects, or is what the doctor "thinks" about 2nd hand reports he's seen now settled science?

Reactions: RUDead
You completely misread my posts, and you read way too much into what I am thinking. You are good at the art of subtly attacking people for "views" they don't necessarily hold.

Adults can make their own choices. Some pro athletes have opted out of participating in their sports. That is their choice, and their choice should be respected, not denigrated. On the same token, if college athletes (who are adults, after all) and/or their parents want to participate or not participate in college athletics, that is their choice. Neither choice should be denigrated or criticized.

Last edited:

SCIENCE took a bite out of my butt, when I took the Swine Flu vaccine back in the Day.Got sick as a PIG.Since then I have gone much.much more to the natural way of keeping healthy.It has worked quite well for me up to now and With the Blessings will continue to do so.A comment on some of these posts:The CE board has been dropped. BUT it seems that the politickers are still with us .All Good RU FANS but completely enmeshed in their own views of reality.

Last edited:
Can we talk about something really important here?

I want to know -- if the season is cancelled, should I cancel BTN for a year (or for the next several months, if the season is pushed back to Spring)? I'm sure that there are those here who would tell me that I'm not a real fan if I cancel BTN and that only hurts the member schools. But, how many more times can I watch the same games from 10 years ago?
My BTN comes in the same Sports package as NFL. I will wait a while to see what goes with the pros B4 I cancel.

Both sides--everybody calm down, please. Stop all the hyperbole, hissy fits and virtue-signaling. It's disgusting and childish-- like arguments between children on a playground.
I'm sorry but the playground is closed because of Governor Murphy. Damn him! :Wink:

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
I am 100% in support of following the science. And, as someone else pointed out, there is currently no science to support a causal connection between Covid and heart/other long term issues. There is only anecdotal evidence of an association. Any scientist knows that an association is not the same thing as causation.

It may be that a causal connection is established after proper studies are performed. In the interim, one can certainly believe that with the mere existence of an association is enough to shut down the sport pending proper scientific testing. Yet, those allegedly relying on "science" are citing to articles that provide no more scientific proof than the anecdotal proof of the benefits of hydrochloroquine that were debated for months.

I am 100% in support of following the science. And, as someone else pointed out, there is currently no science to support a causal connection between Covid and heart/other long term issues. There is only anecdotal evidence of an association. Any scientist knows that an association is not the same thing as causation.

It may be that a causal connection is established after proper studies are performed. In the interim, one can certainly believe that with the mere existence of an association is enough to shut down the sport pending proper scientific testing. Yet, those allegedly relying on "science" are citing to articles that provide no more scientific proof than the anecdotal proof of the benefits of hydrochloroquine that were debated for months.
Thus /\. People quoting it as fact are just fear mongers. Infections are down. Deaths are down. They have to Bitch about something.

Isn't the reverse true as well?

Some football players die from playing football. It is rare, but it happens. As well as life-long injuries. Should we just stop it all?

Why is anyone allowed to drive.. anywhere? What is it now.. almost 40,000 a year? And about 4.5M injuries. How many of those risky miles driven are for entertainment or to go to sporting events?

Regular flu kills many every year.. should we just close up shop every October to March (maybe we should all migrate like birds and avoid flu seasons).

Life is Risk.

there is no my science or your science there is just science
If you practiced patent law, you would realize how wrong your statement is. I have spent years dealing with experts and opposing experts arguing about what their respective science proves or disproves. It is not different when it comes to medicine. Much of the prescription pharma/drug cartel is built on the backs of weak science to push more drugs and increase profits for pharma companies. Two examples: Cox-2 inhibitors and statins.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT