ADVERTISEMENT

It is a done deal? BigTen Is Canceling Football Season Tuesday?

This thread isn't even about NJ restrictions.

You're really losing it.
Ha! Has any thread on here stayed on a narrow subject? That is your comeback?? That's all you got??? Bravo another response that isn't a response. What a CE clown

Too funny. Schools cancelling with zero science links. Meth is bad.
This is the biggest problem with posters today. These schools all have experts that could run circles around you on just about any topic of your choice. If they are saying that they want to cancel the season because of this issue, it is most certainly fact based. Your couple of hours of Google Fu doesn’t make you an expert. Just stop.

But as others have pointed out, the conference has not yet come out with a statement so we should all wait until they do to see if the season is cancelled and the reason for it.

As I predicted awhile back, I think we see spring football. We should have a near cure in about a month, if engineered antibodies deliver as expected, and we should have vaccines by the end of the year, as a preventative. Those two things - IF THEY PAN OUT (can't guarantee it, since we're talking about medical science, where guaranteeing anything is foolish) - will allow spring sports to be played.
If cure does come in September, which I believe it will, late October start date is very feasible.

This is the biggest problem with posters today. These schools all have experts that could run circles around you on just about any topic of your choice. If they are saying that they want to cancel the season because of this issue, it is most certainly fact based. Your couple of hours of Google Fu doesn’t make you an expert. Just stop.

But as others have pointed out, the conference has not yet come out with a statement so we should all wait until they do to see if the season is cancelled and the reason for it.
Here’s a fact - not one teacher or child care teacher has a Covid case tied back to the classroom.

Reactions: WhiteBus

I've been saying for months that football and Fall sports would be cancelled. What is your issue?

As I predicted awhile back, I think we see spring football. We should have a near cure in about a month, if engineered antibodies deliver as expected, and we should have vaccines by the end of the year, as a preventative. Those two things - IF THEY PAN OUT (can't guarantee it, since we're talking about medical science, where guaranteeing anything is foolish) - will allow spring sports to be played.
Are you serious ? "We should have a near cure in about a month" ?
That would be wonderful.

I thought he was just stating fact, not his opinion.
The fact is they can't make an announcement with out an official roll call/meeting. The numbers are 12-2 against. Apparently the official vote is tomorrow

If cure does come in September, which I believe it will, late October start date is very feasible.
Not sure it you mean a cure or a vaccine. They are very different. No chance of a vaccine being ready in September. There are a couple of drugs available now (none of which begin with H) that have had some curative success, but none to the extent that you'd call it a "cure". I don't expect any breakthroughs by September there either.

Reactions: Greg2020
I've linked more stuff than you and @Greg2020 combined. You both need to STFU. Clowns. You're both lazy ass people who provide nothing to the conversation. Use Google to prove me wrong but you two clowns just come here to Bitch. This isn't the CE Board. Disagree with something, do the homework from reliable sources and actually have a discussion. You both have serious agendas. Instead of saying STFU show me why the State of NJ is under strict restrictions with one of best numbers in they country of late. You can't so you just go to STFU. You're and idiot and lazy.

Here’s a fact - not one teacher or child care teacher has a Covid case tied back to the classroom.

Well, I'm certain I've linked to more relevant, well regarded scientific COVID links than anyone on this board - and usually to the primary science, not some hack journalists interpretation of the science, because, well to be blunt about it, I know more about science than 99.9% of the journalists who report on it.

And it's crystal clear that children become infected as easily as adults (but don't get sick nearly as frequently) and can spread the virus pretty damn well and there are some fairly convincing cases of very likely transmissions from infected students to teachers, as discussed in my post below, which contains the link to an epidemiological study of an outbreak in an Israeli school in May, where lack of masking very likely played a role (there was a 3-day heatwave where mask use was suspended, right when transmissions occurred).

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...ventions-and-more.198855/page-92#post-4648953

I say "very likely" in a couple of spots because absolute proof of transmission from person A to B is very, very difficult to obtain, but it's certainly the way to bet. That doesn't mean it's impossible to reopen schools, but it does mean it needs to be done very carefully and purposefully (with masking, distancing and fast testing where outbreaks are suspected) in order to prevent major outbreaks, especially since most kids have been home for months with far less contacts than usual, so they haven't been exposed much, which is a big part of why cases in children are now way up, given the relaxation that has gone on.

New, well done paper out from some epidemiologists investigating a high school COVID outbreak in Israel in May after schools reopened. After discovering two positive, mildly symptomatic cases in students in the school, who attended school for several days before notifying anyone of their symptoms, the school was shut down and all ~1160 students and ~150 staff were tested, revealing 153 students (13.2%) and 25 staff members (16.6%) were infected. Unfortunately, the study doesn't say much about the outcome of these infections, other than to say that most of the students were aysmptomatic or mildly symptomatic, with no mention of the outcomes for the staff (obviously a bigger concern, with age). However, the study's focus was epidemiology and we know the impacts on staff were likely substantial.

https://www.eurosurveillance.org/content/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2020.25.29.2001352

With regard to the epidemiology and root causes for the transmission, the paper does a nice job. While the reopening schools had requirements for daily health reports, hygiene, facemasks, social distancing and minimal interaction between classes, the paper noted that there was a major heatwave and students were exempted from wearing masks for 3 days. Having symptomatic students in school at this time, combined with not wearing masks for 3 days certainly seems likely to be largely responsible for the extent of the outbreak. The paper didn't do a formal analysis of transmission chains to "prove" the staff were infected by the children, but this seems quite likely.

See the excerpt below for more; the school was also noted to be on the crowded side vs. OECD averages, which likely didn't help. To their credit, though, they quickly shut the school down and tested everyone very quickly. Also, it's worth noting that there were 87 additional confirmed COVID-19 cases among close contacts of the first school’s cases, including siblings at other schools, friends and participants in sports and dance classes, students’ parents and family members of school staff. This is the worst nightmare outcome for reopening schools without proper precautions and if infections are prevalent.

The high school outbreak in Jerusalem displayed mass COVID-19 transmission upon school reopening. The circumstances promoting infection spread involved return of teenage students to their regular classes after a 2-month closure (on 18 May) and an extreme heatwave (on 19 May) with temperatures rising to 40 °C and above [6] that involved exemption from facemasks (for 3 days) and continuous air-conditioning. Classes in the first affected school had more than 30 students. Israel’s secondary school classes are crowded (average: 29 students in public schools) compared with the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) average (23 students) [7]. COVID-19 in a school necessitates a prompt response. Classmates and teachers should be considered close contacts (particularly in crowded classes), as should students in groups mixing several classes, extra-curricular activities and school buses. Temporary school closure is prudent (especially in large regional schools) pending investigation results.

Not sure it you mean a cure or a vaccine. They are very different. No chance of a vaccine being ready in September. There are a couple of drugs available now (none of which begin with H) that have had some curative success, but none to the extent that you'd call it a "cure". I don't expect any breakthroughs by September there either.
Treatments, engineered antibodies, would be a cure. Look for mid- September on this.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
Well, I'm certain I've linked to more relevant, well regarded scientific COVID links than anyone on this board - and usually to the primary science, not some hack journalists interpretation of the science, because, well to be blunt about it, I know more about science than 99.9% of the journalists who report on it.

And it's crystal clear that children become infected as easily as adults (but don't get sick nearly as frequently) and can spread the virus pretty damn well and there are some fairly convincing cases of very likely transmissions from infected students to teachers, as discussed in my post below, which contains the link to an epidemiological study of an outbreak in an Israeli school in May, where lack of masking very likely played a role (there was a 3-day heatwave where mask use was suspended, right when transmissions occurred).

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...ventions-and-more.198855/page-92#post-4648953

I say "very likely" in a couple of spots because absolute proof of transmission from person A to B is very, very difficult to obtain, but it's certainly the way to bet. That doesn't mean it's impossible to reopen schools, but it does mean it needs to be done very carefully and purposefully (with masking, distancing and fast testing where outbreaks are suspected) in order to prevent major outbreaks, especially since most kids have been home for months with far less contacts than usual, so they haven't been exposed much, which is a big part of why cases in children are now way up, given the relaxation that has gone on.
I agree that infected asymptomatic teens can infect parents and grandparents. But if they go to college and not allowed to return home until the end of semester or sports season what is the real risk? And not be able to return home until a negative timely test.

pathetic. they would rather put a bunch of teenagers at risk just so that grown ass middle aged men have something to look forward to on weekends and advertisers can continue printing money...

I guess if the risk of CTE and COVID aren't going to finally put the players' best interests first, nothing short of multiple players dropping down dead on national television would do it...
Your thoughts on the matter are not popular, but I'm with you on this one. A lot of people see players as nothing more than gladiators. It's either :ThumbsUp or :ThumbsDown in their mind. Long term health is an afterthought.

If it becomes official that the season is cancelled tomorrow I think Schiano lucked out. We could have gone 0-10, 1-9 or 2-8 if we had a season. I feel many BIG teams will lose more talent than we will and many players from other teams might declare for the NFL and not return next season. I feel most of our players will return and we have a decent recruiting class for next season. We just might have a chance to be much more competitive next season. If we only won 2 games or less many people might think same Old Rutgers so not having a season just might be good for us. I assume many people might not like what I am saying but that is the way I feel.

Are you serious ? "We should have a near cure in about a month" ?
That would be wonderful.

Should is the operative word, i.e., there is no guarantee of it, but if the engineered antibody cocktails (especially the Regeneron approach, which worked for Ebola, but other major pharma players are working on these too) work as well as they appear to work in macaques and hamsters, then we'll likely have a treatment that is far better than anything we have now at saving lives (better than convalescent plasma, which looks like it's doing very well with an estimated 57% mortality reduction, since the cocktails are far more tailored towards the virus and much more reproducible than what we get from recovered patients), as well as a likely preventative, at least for high risk workers (there won't be enough for everyone, as these are harder to make than vaccines and likely won't last as long wrt/immunity). I've been posting about this approach since March and am optimistic it will work, as the approach has worked for other viruses and it should work for this one. Should, not will. We expect to see definitive data from clinical trials by the end of August from everything I've read.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/08/designer-antibodies-could-battle-covid-19-vaccines-arrive

Didn't have time to dive into this yesterday, but Regeneron's antibody cocktail showed some strong results in both prevention and treatment for both macaques and hamsters (hamsters are used, too, since macaques don't get nearly as ill from COVID, so hamsters provide good insight into treatment effects). If we see results like these in humans, we're looking at, by far, the most effective treatment to date (a "near cure"), as well as a potentially effective prophylactic for most people. The paper is linked below and the abstract is very nicely done - concise, but gets the key points across. Phase III clinical trials are ongoing and approval could come as early as the end of August. Really need this to work - this has been my pick, since March, to be the best treatment, mostly based on their Ebola success - having done it before counts (being a potential prophylactic would be a bonus).

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.08.02.233320v1.full.pdf

Abstract: An urgent global quest for effective therapies to prevent and treat COVID-19 disease is ongoing. We previously described REGN-COV2, a cocktail of two potent neutralizing antibodies (REGN10987+REGN10933) targeting non-overlapping epitopes on the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein. In this report, we evaluate the in vivo efficacy of this antibody cocktail in both rhesus macaques and golden hamsters and demonstrate that REGN-COV-2 can greatly reduce virus load in lower and upper airway and decrease virus induced pathological sequalae when administered prophylactically or therapeutically. Our results provide evidence of the therapeutic potential of this antibody cocktail.

However, we just don't know how long something like this might work as a prophylactic, however (probably for at least a few months - not as long as a vaccine, though, based on the Ebola experience, where a similar cocktail was used successfully for treatment, but the Merck vaccine was used for prevention) The other issue is that the large cell culture bioreactors that make these antibodies will only likely be able to make enough for treating moderately ill to worse patients and for prevention in a subset of the population (likely health care workers and those in other high risk occupations and highly vulnerable populations) - at least through the end of the year. The link below is to Derek Lowe's blog on this, which was excellent, as it nicely explains the details of the treatment and prevention studies in both animal species as well as what it all means; the comments also contain some good intel on the manufacturing challenges.

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeli...rons-monoclonal-antibody-cocktail-in-primates

For those who don't recall, the cocktail features two monoclonal antibodies developed to target different parts of the all-important spike protein, which is the key for how the virus connects to and infects cells. The idea was to have dual activity in case some mutation occurred within patients, that could help the virus "get around" just a single antibody, as multiple viral mutations to elude both antibodies was deemed extremely unlikely; see the link below for a discussion of the cocktail approach and all the R&D that went into it (and links to the primary papers on it).

It'a also worth reminding people of the difference between the antibody cocktail approach and a vaccine. A vaccine is supposed to elicit a full immune response to the antigen (RNA/DNA/attenuated virus, etc.), producing a suite of antibodies and T-cells to detect and disable/destroy the virus, while the antibody approach simply is giving examples of antibodies shown to work against the virus, but it's likely not as complete of an "attack" on the virus, since the immune system isn't activated at all (as per the Ebola example). This is a different virus, though, so maybe this can work as well as a vaccine for prevention.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...entions-and-more.191275/page-176#post-4609892

I agree that infected asymptomatic teens can infect parents and grandparents. But if they go to college and not allowed to return home until the end of semester or sports season what is the real risk? And not be able to return home until a negative timely test.

With regard to college football players, is there a plan or policy to not allow them to go home during the season or any time without a test? That would actually be good thinking to attempt to prevent them infecting others (although the PCR tests do suffer from ~20% false negatives, so a negative isn't a guarantee of no infection). What about infecting other students and people on campus, though? By playing football and being in close contact with many other players, some of whom will become infected, as we've seen, how do we prevent them from getting infected and sick and/or infecting others, during the season? Without a near cure in place and maybe even without a vaccine in place, I simply can't see how we do college sports and not have potential impacts on other students, teachers, and people in general, unless the players are all quarantined with each other.

Reactions: pmvon and Greg2020
If you look at Penn State and Ohio state twitter feeds, its clear the coaches are fighting a decision that they don't want. The season is done. They are powerless in this struggle.

Love my numbuz,
"I'm Certain"
"crystal clear"
"nearly as frequently"
"well regarded"
"Israeli school"
"very likely"
"usually to the primary source"
"pretty damn well"
"very difficult to obtain"
"certainly the way to bet"
"doesn't mean its impossible"
"very carefully"
"most kids"
"big part"
"cases are way up"
"given the relaxation"

That's it. Cancel. Or is it "cancell"?

like our governor hahaha, you have been duped

Should is the operative word, i.e., there is no guarantee of it, but if the engineered antibody cocktails (especially the Regeneron approach, which worked for Ebola, but other major pharma players are working on these too) work as well as they appear to work in macaques and hamsters, then we'll likely have a treatment that is far better than anything we have now at saving lives (better than convalescent plasma, which looks like it's doing very well with an estimated 57% mortality reduction, since the cocktails are far more tailored towards the virus and much more reproducible than what we get from recovered patients), as well as a likely preventative, at least for high risk workers (there won't be enough for everyone, as these are harder to make than vaccines and likely won't last as long wrt/immunity). I've been posting about this approach since March and am optimistic it will work, as the approach has worked for other viruses and it should work for this one. Should, not will. We expect to see definitive data from clinical trials by the end of August from everything I've read.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/08/designer-antibodies-could-battle-covid-19-vaccines-arrive
Thanks. We're definitely in need of some possible light at the end of this friggin tunnel.

So you can’t back up the claim. Another internet doctor.

Cardiomyopathy, deep vein thrombosis, pulmonary embolism, arterial occlusion, heart attack, stroke, irreversible destruction of lung tissue, cardiac arrythmias... how's that for a start? Then add all cascading problems each one of these can cause. From The Mayo Clinic: "We're really seeing a number of reports of people who report long-term fatigue, headaches, vertigo (and), interestingly enough, difficulties with cognition, hair loss, cardiac issues, and diminished cardiorespiratory fitness. And I think what we're going to find out is that a large portion ― not all, but a large portion of that ― is likely to relate to the significant cellular-level damage that this virus can cause," says Dr. Poland. This is happening not only to the symptomatic cases, but also those who were aymptomatic or had very mild cases. I hope that helps you understand a bit better.

Cardiomyopathy, deep vein thrombosis, pulmonary embolism, arterial occlusion, heart attack, stroke, irreversible destruction of lung tissue, cardiac arrythmias... how's that for a start? Then add all cascading problems each one of these can cause. From The Mayo Clinic: "We're really seeing a number of reports of people who report long-term fatigue, headaches, vertigo (and), interestingly enough, difficulties with cognition, hair loss, cardiac issues, and diminished cardiorespiratory fitness. And I think what we're going to find out is that a large portion ― not all, but a large portion of that ― is likely to relate to the significant cellular-level damage that this virus can cause," says Dr. Poland. This is happening not only to the symptomatic cases, but also those who were aymptomatic or had very mild cases. I hope that helps you understand a bit better.

All since March, ya, OK bruh

I've linked more stuff than you and @Greg2020 combined. You both need to STFU. Clowns. You're both lazy ass people who provide nothing to the conversation. Use Google to prove me wrong but you two clowns just come here to Bitch. This isn't the CE Board. Disagree with something, do the homework from reliable sources and actually have a discussion. You both have serious agendas. Instead of saying STFU show me why the State of NJ is under strict restrictions with one of best numbers in they country of late. You can't so you just go to STFU. You're and idiot and lazy.
Why are you violating board rules by tagging me in this thread? Stop whining.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT