ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Pandemic: Transmissions, Deaths, Treatments, Vaccines, Interventions and More...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to add my .02, bettering the nation is a subjective call. Different people feel differently as to which is more important.
Unfortunately the virus doesnt care
Yes the virus doesn't care. So you can't be selective. People can protest and riot without consequences but I can't get a haircut and most of those businesses will fail. Changing all lives matter. We don't arrest protesters or people that riot but Philly has started giving out parking tickets. Stores that were destroyed, most will never return. Change must come in all forms fairly.

Reactions: Spare130
Show us some data on increased deaths from people stay at home orders. It certainly sucks and has probably impacted mental health some, but I've heard of no spike in suicides and people certainly aren't starving to death, plus emergency surgeries never stopped, so not sure what you're referring to.

I have not seen statistics but a friend of mine from RU committed suicide a month ago, her parents said she was struggling living alone and was too afraid to fly back to the east coast at the height of the outbreak.

I’m also heading to Georgia this week to stay with a family member who is living on their own and struggling severely with depression that has been significantly amplified by the outbreak.

So it’s definitely happening and likely to a worse degree in cities where you can’t just put a lawn chair in your backyard and enjoy a beer. Most apartment complexes have closed off all rec areas.

Show us some data on increased deaths from people stay at home orders. It certainly sucks and has probably impacted mental health some, but I've heard of no spike in suicides and people certainly aren't starving to death, plus emergency surgeries never stopped, so not sure what you're referring to.
As far back as April there were indications that mental health was taking a beating from the lock downs and such:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/05/04/mental-health-coronavirus/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...5e6744-74ee-11ea-85cb-8670579b863d_story.html

Numbers slammed Ducey just this morning, yet his thread, he continues to take shots when he wants, why only him...just askin
Maybe it's because #'s posts huge azz posts filled with tons of info that I can't even get through thus I typically breeze by them, but you post a video that is plain as day and not much else.

Just sayin.

Reactions: WhiteBus
I have not seen statistics but a friend of mine from RU committed suicide a month ago, her parents said she was struggling living alone and was too afraid to fly back to the east coast at the height of the outbreak.

I’m also heading to Georgia this week to stay with a family member who is living on their own and struggling severely with depression that has been significantly amplified by the outbreak.

So it’s definitely happening and likely to a worse degree in cities where you can’t just put a lawn chair in your backyard and enjoy a beer. Most apartment complexes have closed off all rec areas.
I'm sorry to hear that.
This situation is definitely taking a toll on mental health. I know a few people really spiraling downhill. I also know some who are drinking way too much. People have financial issues, loneliness, anxiety etc. I see myself some days really having to push through. I worry about my parent's health. I have my mom calling upset because she misses us and then I feel bad. (My dad is driving her bonkers and she said he's losing his mind home. The garage now looks like a Home Depot Lol) I can't imagine being all alone. Some people are though. Work may be the most human interaction some people get. I feel more positive now that places are opening because this groundhog day replay is just bullsheet. I've hiked, walked, baked, cooked, cleaned and organized every thing possible. I even regrouted(?) my 1/2 bath tile floor after watching 13 videos on YouTube. I'm thankful in the end for my health but I'm done!
As far back as April there were indications that mental health was taking a beating from the lock downs and such:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/05/04/mental-health-coronavirus/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...5e6744-74ee-11ea-85cb-8670579b863d_story.html

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020...html?outputType=amp&__twitter_impression=true

This story has a lot of data on the current mental health crisis

thanks for posting, the media really seems to be ignoring these stories, the everyday person, how are they surviviing, its as if the wrong stories of coronavirus are told, its all hysteria, deaths, what Trump tweets and the human stories are forgotten.

everything that people go through in their normal lives are now magnified, it may seem insignificant to outsiders but for that person its their reality and it can spiral downward fast. Then you add in the news which is nothing but negativity and violence, talk about second waves, turn on the news and see looting and things being burned and lectures on how you should act, where you should go, how you should think.

We are only 3 months into this..it can easily get worse if NORMAL does not come back

Reactions: Jm0513

Sorry to hear that JB. That sucks. Good for you for visiting that family member.

Even better news. Cytodyn and it’s drug Leronlimab finished enrolling it’s 75 person trial for mild to moderate (actually 85-90) on June 11. Their severe / critical Phase 3 blinded trial for Covid is up to 71 out of 390 enrolled . The CEO said today that the mild to moderate will take 14 days to complete and the severe trial will allow for interim results for 51 patients enrolled by June 1 to be released in 28 days. It will be interim and not complete trial but results could be over whelming . The key news is by the end of June both the mild/ moderate complete trial and the severe/ critical Interim results14days, ) for Covid, will be unblinded and given to the FDA for approval. In less than 15 days , we will know if Leronlimab becomes the treatment and standard of care for Covid 19. Even when a vaccine comes along, which has its own problems, people will opt for treatment instead of a vaccine. This news will help calm the discussion of the spike in cases nationally as well as in the fall. A real viable treatment is very very close.
Treatments are the game changers and just a month or two away.

Don't know about the average cost and I guess it all depends on the severity and treatments but did run across this article yesterday. 70 year old guy who was near death got 1.1M in bills but probably won't have to pay most as he's covered by Medicare and Medicare Advantage by Kaiser Permanente and they might be waiving most out of pocket costs for COVID patients through 2020.

I've had a family member who has had that guy kind of bill and was covered by Medicare and a secondary insurance as well so only paid 1000+ dollars but let me tell you just seeing the number still gives you sticker shock and rattles you. Without the secondary insurance Medicare only covers 80% so 20% of a huge number like that is still a lot.

From the article:

Just the charge for his room in the intensive care unit was billed at $9,736 per day. Due to the contagious nature of the virus, the room was sealed and could only be entered by medical workers wearing plastic suits and headgear. For 42 days he was in this isolation chamber, for a total charged cost of $408,912.

He also was on a mechanical ventilator for 29 days, with the use of the machine billed at $2,835 per day, for a total of $82,215. About a quarter of the bill is drug costs.

The list of charges indirectly tells the story of Flor’s battle. For the two days when his heart, kidneys and lungs were all failing and he was nearest death, the bill runs for 20 pages and totals nearly $100,000 as doctors “were throwing everything at me they could think of,” Flor says.

In all, there are nearly 3,000 itemized charges, about 50 per day. Usually hospitals get paid only a portion of the amount they bill, as most have negotiated discounts with insurance companies. The charges don’t include the two weeks of recuperating he did in a rehab facility.

Going through it all, Flor said he was surprised at his own reaction. Which was guilt.

“I feel guilty about surviving,” he says. “There’s a sense of ‘why me?’ Why did I deserve all this? Looking at the incredible cost of it all definitely adds to that survivor’s guilt.”

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...omes-with-a-1-1-million-dollar-hospital-bill/
So as I understood, covid admissions most likey result in long term hospitalization with significant ICU care. This costs are substantial. Regardless of coverage (Medicare or private) those costs will be passed to all of us. So those with the "I will be fine, most people will be fine" attitude should consider the cost they will bear for those they may infect. Just another angle that seems to have not been discussed.

Even better news. Cytodyn and it’s drug Leronlimab finished enrolling it’s 75 person trial for mild to moderate (actually 85-90) on June 11. Their severe / critical Phase 3 blinded trial for Covid is up to 71 out of 390 enrolled . The CEO said today that the mild to moderate will take 14 days to complete and the severe trial will allow for interim results for 51 patients enrolled by June 1 to be released in 28 days. It will be interim and not complete trial but results could be over whelming . The key news is by the end of June both the mild/ moderate complete trial and the severe/ critical Interim results14days, ) for Covid, will be unblinded and given to the FDA for approval. In less than 15 days , we will know if Leronlimab becomes the treatment and standard of care for Covid 19. Even when a vaccine comes along, which has its own problems, people will opt for treatment instead of a vaccine. This news will help calm the discussion of the spike in cases nationally as well as in the fall. A real viable treatment is very very close.
Until we see it don’t keep saying “ we’re very , very close” ...close only counts in horseshoes... We have a long way to go...

+1 How about it @bac2therac , you actually have to support broad claims with actual evidence once in a while.

Fwiw, I agree with you that hosting protests for weeks on end during lockdown is ridiculous. I think it was a pragmatic, lesser of two evils decision to try to prevent things spiraling, but still looks ridiculous

So as I understood, covid admissions most likey result in long term hospitalization with significant ICU care. This costs are substantial. Regardless of coverage (Medicare or private) those costs will be passed to all of us. So those with the "I will be fine, most people will be fine" attitude should consider the cost they will bear for those they may infect. Just another angle that seems to have not been discussed.
Why worry everything is going to be free ...well for certain parts of our society it appears...

one ( protest) is an effort to better the nation.
The other (rally) is in someone's self interest .

Once states started opening up coronavirus started rising again.
So if you want to complain about protesting increasing the number infected, go on and I'll agree.
But that will be just a whine if you don't include states opening up causing rate of infections to rise.
Also if you want to be fair, admit Trump's rallies have a good chance of causing more COVID-19 cases

But then you might think any talk about infections rising is just a case of hysteria and there's nothing to worry about.
Many feel that way, some have found out their wrong the hard way , while others just went about their business without being harmed.
The object, in my mind, is making sure as little as possible wind up harmed.
So what's considered hysteria to some is what others consider needed info.
You need to move to CHOP...a great place ... in your case make sure you have $ 10 for the BLM movement demands of all those visiting.

I'm sorry to hear that.
This situation is definitely taking a toll on mental health. I know a few people really spiraling downhill. I also know some who are drinking way too much. People have financial issues, loneliness, anxiety etc. I see myself some days really having to push through. I worry about my parent's health. I have my mom calling upset because she misses us and then I feel bad. (My dad is driving her bonkers and she said he's losing his mind home. The garage now looks like a Home Depot Lol) I can't imagine being all alone. Some people are though. Work may be the most human interaction some people get. I feel more positive now that places are opening because this groundhog day replay is just bullsheet. I've hiked, walked, baked, cooked, cleaned and organized every thing possible. I even regrouted(?) my 1/2 bath tile floor after watching 13 videos on YouTube. I'm thankful in the end for my health but I'm done!
Just look at this site as an example of those who drink in excess daily, nitely and are proud of it...eventually it catches up to them while destroying families and lives in an alcoholic wasteland.

And your point is what, exactly?
Don’t worry about tomorrow... tomorrow may never come... you may die from Covid 19 so why worry about paying any bills .... I just read the NJ.com article about 250k who may be left out of receiving their stimulus check....many never filed income tax in 2018-2019... don’t receive social security benefits.. perhaps not here legally... so why should we worry? Life is too short ...isn’t that what many say and should believe.

Certainly promising news, but let's remember it's 12 patients and not randomized or controlled, so we're going to need a lot more data on this. You can tell from the paper, linked below, that the authors are at least being circumspect with the data, not claiming too much (since most patients do get better, even hospitalized ones; these were not patients on ventilators), which is the right position for this kind of trial. Hell yeah, let's do some larger, randomized/controlled trials and let's see what it can do (a phase III trial is underway with resuts expected in September).

Lenzilumab looks to prevent the over-inflammation response of the immune system ("the cytokine storm"), which tocilizumab also does; they just do it at different points in the cascade, with lenzilumab targeting GM-CSF, as per below, and toculizumab targeting the inflammatory protein, Interleukin-6. Both are monoclonal antibody drugs with toculizumab already approved to treat rheumatoid arthritis, while lenzilumab has not been approved for any indications yet (it's under development for leukemia and didn't seem to work so well for RA).

That's about the limit of my understanding, so it's time to call in @UMRU lol...

Background: In COVID-19, high levels of granulocyte macrophage-colony stimulating factor (GM-CSF) and inflammatory myeloid cells correlate with disease severity, cytokine storm, and respiratory failure. With this rationale, we used lenzilumab, an anti-human GM-CSF monoclonal antibody, to treat patients with severe and critical COVID-19 pneumonia.

Conclusions: In high-risk COVID-19 patients with severe and critical pneumonia, GM-CSF neutralization with lenzilumab was safe and associated with improved clinical outcomes, oxygen requirement, and cytokine storm.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.06.08.20125369v2

You are becoming a pro at this @RU848789

The Docs are now good at predicting who is going to crash. So getting 11 of 12 who are going downhill out of the hospital in 5 days is pretty amazing.

The one downside I see is that they used 1.8 grams of antibody protein per person. If I did the math right, that means they need about 2 pounds of protein to treat 500 people. That is a lot.

What is interesting about this is that drugs like this are that many all offshoots of trying to stop cytokine storms that come from T cell therapy (CAR-T) for curing cancer. Now they are turning out to be useful in an entirely different setting.
-------------
Another one to watch for is called Anakinra (or Kineret). It is the interleukin 1 receptor agonist protein. IL-1 starts nearly all of these cytokine cascades.

Don’t worry about tomorrow... tomorrow may never come... you may die from Covid 19 so why worry about paying any bills .... I just read the NJ.com article about 250k who may be left out of receiving their stimulus check....many never filed income tax in 2018-2019... don’t receive social security benefits.. perhaps not here legally... so why should we worry? Life is too short ...isn’t that what many say and should believe.
You do realize that illegal immigrants don't have a taxpayer ID, so aren't able to get medicaid, social security, or this CARES act benefit, right?

As for the others who may miss out, I feel bad for them. As mentioned in the article, they are generally un the most vulnerable population. There are plenty of folks who don't need the help, but aren't going to turn down the $1200 checks/ debit cards for their household. Those are the people you should be mad at.

We're going to be in a cycle of tons of stimulus for quite a while. Powell was saying 2 years or something like that for this round of QE...

Numbers slammed Ducey just this morning, yet his thread, he continues to take shots when he wants, why only him...just askin
Huh? People have been excoriating Murphy in this thread over and over and I make one post on Ducey, who clearly is a friggin' idiot who continues to downplay the virus, and somehow I'm the only one taking shots? My informational to political ratio in my posts is pretty damn high and yours is about zero. You really should think a little bit before you post.

Your missing my point. Those costs will be recouped. You our I may have coverage but those spreads will be applied to everyone.

Huh? People have been excoriating Murphy in this thread over and over and I make one post on Ducey, who clearly is a friggin' idiot who continues to downplay the virus, and somehow I'm the only one taking shots? My informational to political ratio in my posts is pretty damn high and yours is about zero. You really should think a little bit before you post.
You fool Murphy is a democrat so that’s okay he’s not one of Bac’s chosen people

thanks for posting, the media really seems to be ignoring these stories, the everyday person, how are they surviviing, its as if the wrong stories of coronavirus are told, its all hysteria, deaths, what Trump tweets and the human stories are forgotten.

everything that people go through in their normal lives are now magnified, it may seem insignificant to outsiders but for that person its their reality and it can spiral downward fast. Then you add in the news which is nothing but negativity and violence, talk about second waves, turn on the news and see looting and things being burned and lectures on how you should act, where you should go, how you should think.

We are only 3 months into this..it can easily get worse if NORMAL does not come back

We agree on much of this. I've said multiple times that I would like to see more on the virus and how best to prevent/fight it, including a lot more on transmission and treatments and less about Trump and politics in the media, which has always been my general goal with this thread. I'd also like to see more positive stories of people surviving and thriving - it doesn't have to be mostly negative. It's why I don't watch much cable news, getting much more of my science/medical news from a few key internet sources and maybe checking BBC or the Times once a day for regular news.

However, since there are political decisions that have had huge impact on the progression of the virus (and will be more), it's not realistic to have zero political discussion, but personally I try to keep a high information to political ratio in my posts. But since the demise of the CE board, many of the CE regulars now post here and much of it is not informational, which detracts from the value of the thread. In my opinion. Personally, I'd much prefer if you and some others just started separate threads about ancillary coronavirus issues, like closing parks or anything to do with protests or mind control or whatever, but I agree that mental health impacts are fair to talk about, as this has been very tough on very many, including people near and dear to me.

Yeah but it’s via IV. Need a medicine that can be taken outside of hospitals.
The new antiviral that Merck bought from Ridgeback is an antiviral with better in-vitro and animal activity against the virus than remdesivir and it's orally bioavailable (pill), which is why many are excited about it. Trials are ongoing. But like most of the antivirals, it'll likely only be moderately effective - we need the far more targeted antibody therapies for that. Next post...

You are becoming a pro at this @RU848789

The Docs are now good at predicting who is going to crash. So getting 11 of 12 who are going downhill out of the hospital in 5 days is pretty amazing.

The one downside I see is that they used 1.8 grams of antibody protein per person. If I did the math right, that means they need about 2 pounds of protein to treat 500 people. That is a lot.

What is interesting about this is that drugs like this are that many all offshoots of trying to stop cytokine storms that come from T cell therapy (CAR-T) for curing cancer. Now they are turning out to be useful in an entirely different setting.
-------------
Another one to watch for is called Anakinra (or Kineret). It is the interleukin 1 receptor agonist protein. IL-1 starts nearly all of these cytokine cascades.
Thanks! Some chatter that they "stacked the deck" with cases more likely to get better, but that could be BS. Regardless, the results on12 patients is promising, but not nearly enough. And wow, 1.8 g is a horse pill - these monoclonal antibodies are pretty expensive to make so that's not going to be very cost effective. Also, yes that's about 0.9kg/2.0 pounds for 500 people, which is 90,000 kg for 5MM people, which if it's that good would be a near impossible task - making 90,000 kg of a synthetic small molecule is doable in a major factory in a year, but the mab processes are almost all way less productive than the chemical processes. Yikes.

It does appear clear that monoclonal antibodies will work in treating Covid. This was only 12 patients so they are not as far along as Leronlimab which will have results to the FDA for its mild/ moderate trial and interim results on its severe/ critical Covid trial by the end of June . Leronlimab is a monoclonal antibody that appears in EIND use , to do things no other drug does. It also potentially can treat multiple diseases, as it is going to finish 10-12 Phase 2 trials on triple metastic breast cancer, NASH, MS, multiple cancers, pancreatic and lung cancers, Altzeimers, autoimmune diseases, to name a few. It was already in Phase 3 for approval as treatment for AIDS when it was used on Covid. By the end of June we will know if this drug will be the primary treatment for Covid.
I fully suspect there is a lag to that chart as they take time to allocate new admissions to the specific date.

Otherwise how are cases, ICU beds and Vent use up?

This lag is exactly what we see on Florida's dash board in terms of death.

Maybe I'm wrong but the #'s don't add up for no new admissions.
Look, we know you like to pimp the stock, but leronlimab is very unlikely to be a cure for COVID - would be great if it is, but it wasn't "built" for COVID-19, as it's a CCR-5 (chemokine receptor) antagonist aimed at HIV and/or cancer (or anything else they can show it works in), which makes it a longshot to do more than moderately help like most of the rest of the existing drugs being repurposed for COVID.

Don't get me wrong, having drugs that can reduce time to recovery and/or mortality rates is way better than nothing, but in the opinions of most experts, the only thing likely to become a cure is the engineered antibody cocktails just entering clinical trials now, as these are the ones that have antibodies made to prevent virus infection or at least virus replication inside the body by directly affecting the virus's path to infection/replication (usually via the spike protein).
Numbers , you call me a pimp and you fail to understand everything the drug does and that Covid 19 is a Rantes disease identified by Dr. Bruce Paterson , whose paper is being peer reviewed for the NEJM presently , hopefully published in a couple of weeks. Listen I enjoy your posts but tone down your pimp comments and get educated on Leronlimab , so I do not have to call you ignorant because you didn’t even try to find out everything about the drug and how this little company has a chance to have a break through over BP. Listen to the doctors.

You’re so whiney
Nobody on this site bitches as much as you... even the guy who wouldn't leave his house for 4 months said that your corona drama is over the top. You were crying a few days ago because you were in disbelief that people went out to eat. I guess you have a reason to worried because according to you 1 in every 20 people who get this virus will die from it.

Until we see it don’t keep saying “ we’re very , very close” ...close only counts in horseshoes... We have a long way to go...
No, you simpleton. When you see it , it is already approved and the FDA or CDC declares it as the standard of care. When the trials are less than a month from completion, maybe 2 weeks away, from being submitted to the FDA , they are close or very close. I am just trying to give a hopeful update on treatments which is one of the primary reasons I and many others came to his thread. Not some political crap. We do not have a long way to go for effective, safe treatments.

Another treatment approach. My buddy (who used to be in my group at Merck and is now a VP at Regeneron!) sent me this link to an NBC piece on their elegant approach to treating and or preventing COVID-19 and they're hopeful they'll have a product in the not too distant future. It's essentially antibody therapy, where a "pseudo" coronavirus is used to elicit antibodies in mice genetically altered to mimic the human immune system and the antibodies that work best to deactivate the coronavirus are then selected and cultured in large bioreactors featuring cell lines which make enough product for the market.

The product can either be a treatment for infected patients (at higher doses) or a preventative for uninfected patients, kind of like a vaccine, except with vaccines, usually some weakened or killed virus is injected so the human body makes the antibodies to it, so that when the actual virus is encountered, the body is ready to destroy it. Since no virus is being injected (just antibodies), it should make clinical trials far simpler to run (and much easier to evaluate for safety/efficacy), although it likely would only work for several months as a preventative, which would still be great, especially for health care workers. Let's hope this approach works - it has worked for other diseases like Ebola, especially as a treatment. Other companies, obviously, are pursuing similar approaches.

https://www.nbcnews.com/…/new-york-biotech-company-working-…
Regeneron announced they've started clinical trials for their antibody cocktail. They're convinced their mixture of 2 antibodies will be better than the single antibody products others have. They're also the only ones who have shown this antibody cocktail approach to be effective in the real world with Ebola 2 years ago. They've been my pick all along to be the leader for this technology - has the potential to be a cure for most, as well as a preventative for most. If safe/effective, approvals could come by the end of summer.

Scaling up to meet demands for treatment is doable, as the numbers are small, while scaling up to meet demands for prevention, will take many months; this could be a stopgap until vaccines are ready - most expect antibodies would only confer immunity for "months" so might be most appropriate for front line workers and the most vulnerable among us. Second link is from a few months ago, but does a great job explaining the science involved.

https://www.fiercebiotech.com/biotech/regeneron-starts-testing-covid-19-antibody-cocktail-humans

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/new-york-biotech-company-working-make-antibody-treatment-coronavirus-n1154566?fbclid=IwAR1FFGWD3eRNdUY7g7SYSHpXy-

More on the Regeneron engineered antibody approach, as they published two fascinating papers in Science on this, today, linked below. After producing a few hundred antibodies from their humanized mouse model, they did studies on activity of these against a pseudo SARS-CoV-2 virus, narrowing it down to about 9 candidates for further studies that they tested against this pseudovirus and the authentic virus, finally settling on a "cocktail" of two antibodies that show very high neutralizing activity against the virus. Note that these antibodies are indistinguishable from human antibodies collected from plasma from recovered COVID patients and they can scale up the process to make large amounts of these antibodies in large cell culture bioreactors.

The reason for a mixture of antibodies is that the two intercept viral entry into human cells by binding tightly to two different parts of the virus's RBD (receptor binding domain) - the big "spike" protein you see in all the pictures that is key for the virus gaining entry via the ACE2 receptor on lung and endothelial cells. Regeneron showed that a combo of two antibodies ensured that any mutant variants they saw in the lab (with the pseudovirus) would be stopped by at least one of the antibodies, whereas a single antibody treatment might not be able to stop a mutated form in a person from evading that antibody, as it would require two simultaneous viral mutations to defeat both antibodies. This lesson was learned in the HIV field, where eventually cocktails of 2-3 antiviral drugs were required to defeat the virus. Not to beat a dead horse, but Regeneron is my pick to have the best engineered antibody drug, mostly because of their impressive success against Ebola with the same approach a couple of years ago.

https://science.sciencemag.org/cont...c0123f628dd52f86ce70468b&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha

Abstract
Neutralizing antibodies have become an important tool in treating infectious diseases. Recently, two separate approaches yielded successful antibody treatments for Ebola – one from genetically-humanized mice, and the other from a human survivor. Here, we describe parallel efforts using both humanized mice and convalescent patients to generate antibodies against the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein, yielding a large collection of fully-human antibodies that were characterized for binding, neutralization and three dimensional structure. Based on these criteria, we selected pairs of highly-potent individual antibodies that simultaneously bind the receptor-binding domain of the spike protein, providing ideal partners for a therapeutic antibody cocktail that aims to decrease the potential for virus escape mutants that might arise in response to selective pressure from a single antibody treatment.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/06/15/science.abd0831

Abstract
Antibodies targeting the spike protein of SARS-CoV-2 present a promising approach to combat the COVID19 pandemic; however, concerns remain that mutations can yield antibody resistance. We investigate the development of resistance against four antibodies to the spike protein that potently neutralize SARS-CoV-2, individually as well as when combined into cocktails. These antibodies remain effective against spike variants that have arisen in the human population. However, novel spike mutants rapidly appeared following in vitro passaging in the presence of individual antibodies, resulting in loss of neutralization; such escape also occurred with combinations of antibodies binding diverse but overlapping regions of the spike protein. Importantly, escape mutants were not generated following treatment with a non-competing antibody cocktail.

Numbers , you call me a pimp and you fail to understand everything the drug does and that Covid 19 is a Rantes disease identified by Dr. Bruce Paterson , whose paper is being peer reviewed for the NEJM presently , hopefully published in a couple of weeks. Listen I enjoy your posts but tone down your pimp comments and get educated on Leronlimab , so I do not have to call you ignorant because you didn’t even try to find out everything about the drug and how this little company has a chance to have a break through over BP. Listen to the doctors.

Ok, I won't use the word pimp any more, but the fact still remains that leronlimab is an mAb targeted at a human protein receptor in a patient's body, and like most other mAbs that do that, especially those modulating the immune response system, there is always both significant risk and potential lack of efficacy. This drug is not targeting the virus, per se, which is why the engineered antibodies are far more likely to be efficaceous and safe, since they should only be targeting the virus. Some of the engineered antibodies are indistinguishable from actual human antibodies. To expect more than modest success with any of these repurposed drugs is unwarranted.

Reactions: biker7766
No, you simpleton. When you see it , it is already approved and the FDA or CDC declares it as the standard of care. When the trials are less than a month from completion, maybe 2 weeks away, from being submitted to the FDA , they are close or very close. I am just trying to give a hopeful update on treatments which is one of the primary reasons I and many others came to his thread. Not some political crap. We do not have a long way to go for effective, safe treatments.
Most people are skeptical , doubting and have been told the very opposite by scientists and medical experts. You do realize that the number of those needing treatments will far outweigh any supplies not for weeks but months. We shall see what transpires.

https://www.nationalreview.com/news...sitive-cases-if-theyve-attended-blm-protests/

From a health prospective (never mind the insane politics of this) but does this not undermine the idea of contract tracing and risk more and more people becoming ill. Not to mention what this does to government communications and people following direction.
That's dumb IMO. It's like those comments yesterday from Scott Gottlieb with regards to contact tracing....it's not that you necessarily find every single infected person but you do want to identify the activities that led to clusters/outbreaks.

Just saw a story similar to ones we've seen in the past with regards to churches. WV has seen some clusters develop in five churches. So you want to know the activities which led to the outbreak and try to take appropriate mitigation steps.

https://news.yahoo.com/west-virginia-sees-coronavirus-outbreaks-in-churches-200854506.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT