ADVERTISEMENT

It will Take CVS 3 Seasons to Acheive 1000 wins

RizwranIII

Freshman
Dec 30, 2012
CVS must go. Any posts that state, let CVS get her 1000 wins and then she can retire on her own terms, are driven by emotion and not the real factual world.

I just saw a post that it would be a PR disaster to fire a coach on the cusp of reaching the major milestone.

I agree that 1000 wins is a super major deal. But is RU and Hobbs willing to set back the program probably a couple of years, to achieve a stat that will leave the program with CVS.

NOW the real problem. I believe that CVS has 968 wins. Does anyone, believe (even the CVS diehards) that she will hit the 1000 mark next year. She would have to have a Geno type season with only one proven Big Ten caliper player left and her bad coaching skills. ***Due to the total falling off the cliff of the only thing that has allowed CVS to have seasons that most coaches would be grateful for....RECRUITIN.G

It will probably take CVS 3 more seasons to reach 1000 wins.

HOBBS make it 3 out of 3!

Well your entitled to your opinion, but think your wrong.
I believe it will take the full two years , because I can't see29 wins next season and won't claim it will be done.
Also don't believe the program will go down so much it can't win 29 games in two years.
I think Hobbs would agree with my assessment and that's why he's bringing CVS back.

Thanks Hobbs for your faith in our HOF WBB HC C.Vivian Stringer.

Well your entitled to your opinion, but think your wrong.
I believe it will take the full two years , because I can't see29 wins next season and won't claim it will be done.
Also don't believe the program will go down so much it can't win 29 games in two years.
I think Hobbs would agree with my assessment and that's why he's bringing CVS back.

Thanks Hobbs for your faith in our HOF WBB HC C.Vivian Stringer.
Does anyone really want to give CVS more than one year to hit the 1000 milestone. Again, mark my words. She will leave the RU Women's Basketball Ball program in total shambles.

Next year will be a .500 season at bet. I can't imagine the next year w CVS as the Head Coach.

Hobbs has been very pro active..but not quite enough to remove (a coach living off her past H of Fame laurels) CVS.

Just for the RECORD. CVS has only had one stretch when she had 2 years in a row (3 actually) that did not produce 29 wins. They were her last year at Iowa (the year her husband died) and the first two at Rutgers (taking over what TG left behind). Even in 01-02 when she had only 9 wins, she had enough in the previous year OR the next year for more than 29 wins in that 2 year span.

Riz, if you want to comment on a post, please comment in that thread, rather than starting a new one. Why are your opinions so much more important than everyone else's that you need to do this?

"I just saw a post that it would be a PR disaster to fire a coach on the cusp of reaching the major milestone."

Based on next years roster and what she has been getting out of the talent lately it will be a struggle to get the 29 wins in two years.

Based on next years roster and what she has been getting out of the talent lately it will be a struggle to get the 29 wins in two years.

I guess I am the only one who feels that the "talent on the bench" is better than most of you do. Heck, we haven't even seen most of them play significant minutes. I know all the star ratings aren't there, but just maybe we have some better team players who are coachable and will play hard all the time.

It easy easy to blame CVS for the under performance of this year's seniors, but it could also be the players attitudes, coachability, etc. Or, it could be some of both.

I am convinced that CVS will get her 29 wins in 2 years.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Spoke to a womans nj aau coach, no respect for cvs and said she has to go. Kids wont play for her. And I didnt even bring her name up, we were talking about the mens new coach......

I hope I am wrong, but I think this decision will mean 3 more years of .500 (or sub .500) teams. In the near future we will be thrilled for a NIT bid. I understand being loyal to a successful coach, but at some point the needs of the program win out. This program, which used to be one of the top in the country, is clearly going in the wrong direction. Every coach has an expiration date.

I wouldn't mind if she was trying, but she's mailed it in and no one wants to pay to watch. Fine, sentiment seems to run deep , but this is a milestone that has become a millstone.

I guess I am the only one who feels that the "talent on the bench" is better than most of you do. Heck, we haven't even seen most of them play significant minutes. I know all the star ratings aren't there, but just maybe we have some better team players who are coachable and will play hard all the time.

It easy easy to blame CVS for the under performance of this year's seniors, but it could also be the players attitudes, coachability, etc. Or, it could be some of both.

I am convinced that CVS will get her 29 wins in 2 years.

Given our struggles there were minutes to be had this year if CVS thought the bench was ready to contribute. I think there are some serviceable players but not a collection that makes you think a NCAA bid is likely thats for sure.

I won't pretend to have a crystal ball, but from what I could tell, I think Khadaizha has some real potential, and maybe Shrita. Also, don't forget that the elder of the sisters Jeune actually was pretty highly recruited, and she had some injury issues. The big questions, as often is the case, are in the paint.

ETA: I just was looking for something else, and found that ESPN Hoopgurlz actually ranked all 4 of the class of 2015 recruits in the top 100, for whatever that's worth.

I wouldn't mind if she was trying, but she's mailed it in and no one wants to pay to watch. Fine, sentiment seems to run deep , but this is a milestone that has become a millstone.
First it was Stringer can't recruit the talent that it takes to win
Then it's Rutgers has the talent , but Stringer can't coach them right.
Claims of the game has passed her bye have been heard in the past.
Now she's mailing it in and that's why RU has to replace her.

Guess Hobbs is overlooking all of those reasons and should be considered incompetent
or might see a HC that is doing the best she can and doing a good job , despite having
facilities that make it hard to succeed getting the type of talent it takes to win big in today's
College WBB world.

The cry now is next year things will be worse because of the players leaving, but it could be the team will improve because of players stepping up more than players did this season.
Could be the 19-15 this season and the 23-10 in 2014-15 will be surpassed and the 2016-17 season might look more like the 28-9 posted in 2013-14.

The doom and gloom felt by some for next season isn't a fact, though my sunshine and lollipops attitude is just the way I look at the way next season could be, can't say it will be just like the doom and gloomers can't prove they are right.
Next season will show if I have the right attitude or the doomers are right when they post gloomy predictions

Can anyone shed some light on this --- in order for Barchi / Hobbs to fire a head coach, do they need to find a wealthy alum to fund the pay out? If so, are there any multi millionaire alums supporting WBB?

Guess Hobbs is overlooking all of those reasons and should be considered incompetent
or might see a HC that is doing the best she can and doing a good job , despite having
facilities that make it hard to succeed getting the type of talent it takes to win big in today's
College WBB world.

The cry now is next year things will be worse because of the players leaving, but it could be the team will improve because of players stepping up more than players did this season.
Could be the 19-15 this season and the 23-10 in 2014-15 will be surpassed and the 2016-17 season might look more like the 28-9 posted in 2013-14.

The doom and gloom felt by some for next season isn't a fact, though my sunshine and lollipops attitude is just the way I look at the way next season could be, can't say it will be just like the doom and gloomers can't prove they are right.
Next season will show if I have the right attitude or the doomers are right when they post gloomy predictions
Hobbs is simply taking the path of least resistance especially for a program that has become an afterthought. He understands what the CVS brand means in the success starved Rutgers sports community and I don't blame him for taking the easy way out. By comparison , the football and men's hoops programs require a lot more fixing and immediate attention. Women's hoops can wait until the coronation is complete and people start caring again.

A combination of all four.

I loved Hobbs first two moves one in hiring Ash for the football team and of course letting Eddie go and the new men's basketball hire but not letting CVS go is a disaster. this team couldn't even get past the second round of the WNIT and there is no reason for any optimism. How can people say we have more talent on the bench than people think if that talent was that good on the bench than they would be playing. If she stays the next two years it will take another 3-5 years for this program to be respectable again and somewhat competitive.

The Best Coach in the History of Rutgers !

outdoor_stringer_som.jpg

There are strong opinions on both sides regarding Stringer's status and they won't change one iota based on what is said on this message board.In fact I would expect the chatter to get more contentious next season based on expectations for the team after all the graduations.Hopefully, Stringer will sign some top tier recruits during the spring who are scorers .

Hopefully you are not trotting out the NIT as a measure of success. I don't know about you but my expectations for RU WBB is a tad higher than that.

Please tell us your expectations for the other 21 sports at RU, too!

Reactions: TRU2RU
It wouldn't surprise me if she didn't get to 1000 the next 2 seasons. Where are the recruits to make up for what we're losing? I really hope she does but not going to be easy IMHO.

Riz, if you want to comment on a post, please comment in that thread, rather than starting a new one. Why are your opinions so much more important than everyone else's that you need to do this?

"I just saw a post that it would be a PR disaster to fire a coach on the cusp of reaching the major milestone."
DMD who the heck are you to accuse me of thinking my opinions are more important than others.

I believed it was a good new thread. And from the replies and views, I believe you owe me an apology.

Wow.. You can not be serious to probably set the program back for years for the celebration of one person.

I don't think you can measure CVS' value to Rutgers solely in terms of Wins and Losses. CVS is an Icon, and well that means she gets a blank check. If she wants to coach for another 5 years, I'm fine with it.

I don't think you can measure CVS' value to Rutgers solely in terms of Wins and Losses. CVS is an Icon, and well that means she gets a blank check. If she wants to coach for another 5 years, I'm fine with it.
She is our coach next year, and I truly hope she achieves 1000 wins next year. She has my total support next year. Go RU!!

They should at least name the Court, after CVS. And I think it would only be right and fair if CVS were around long enough to utilize the new facilities.

They should at least name the Court, after CVS. And I think it would only be right and fair if CVS were around long enough to utilize the new facilities.

Court - agree wholeheartedly (although 20 years from now people will wonder how we hit CVS the pharmacy to sponsor us for free...) and very few would argue.

Facilities - disagree. BS excuse for a coach of her stature and accomplishments.

Court - agree wholeheartedly (although 20 years from now people will wonder how we hit CVS the pharmacy to sponsor us for free...) and very few would argue.

Facilities - disagree. BS excuse for a coach of her stature and accomplishments.

I think there's definitely room to criticize CVS' recruiting over the last few years. As well as style of play.

In her defense, the facilities are atrocious.

RU WBB hasn't been a top program I understand, but it has had winning seasons since the terrible 2001-02 campaign.
Vivian Stringer has made the RU WBB program one to be proud of and because of that RU fans hold the WBB program to the highest standards.
Don't think that she doesn't expect the same standards from her players that RU fans expect from the team and next year is an assured losing one.
Every friggen year I hear fom a few posters that the RU WBB program is going in the dumps and will have a losing year next season.
19-15 is not a good one ( but not a losing one either) and making the NIT is not the goal, but ( despite some who claim otherwise) the facilities do have a role in making RU hard for C.Vivian Stringer to recruit the type of players that make up a constant Dance Team.
So get that straight and remember the Women's team might not be as bad as some are trying to get other fans to believe and another HC might not be the answer.

Every year , including the great ones, someone has found CVS lacking and wanted her replaced. She's win the National Championship and you can bet someone would find fault with the HC that has kept RU WBB winning more games then it loses and being knocked for it.

CVS will come close to obtaining her 1000th victory in the 2016-17 season and then obtain it early in the 2017-18 season and both might be dance years for all we know.

Wow.. You can not be serious to probably set the program back for years for the celebration of one person.

Riz - You are so in love with your opinions. Set the program back for years? It is HER program. She built it into what you say you want it to be, although I doubt that.

Don't you also realize how quick and easy it is to turn around a basketball program? At least a BB program that is not among the worst in the country (see RU MBB for example). If the great coach you are going to replace her with can recruit two or three players her first year the fix is done, right? Of course, which great coach are you going to get with these facilities? Pray tell us. Maybe you don't think facilities affect recruiting. Do you think the Steve Pikielle of WBB can do it? 2 different situations right? BTW: That is not a knock on SP, I like the hire, but the state of MBB is quite different than WBB, no?

So we get it. In your opinion, WBB next year will be a disaster. As bad as MBB this year, right? The talent level of WBB next year will be as bad as MBB this year, right? Having her for another year, God forbid, 2 years, will totally destroy the WBB program, right? And what is your basis for this? The fact that she has gone from 28 wins to 23 wins to 19 wins, right? Plus your opinion of the talent remaining on the roster, right? Good thing you are not a MBB fan, those of us who are would kill for anything like those win totals. Maybe just a winning season. Maybe not finishing last in the conference.

Do you like Pikielle as a hire? Here are his comments on CVS: "Coach Stringer, a Hall of Fame coach, I'm very proud that you are here. I thank you. It is going to be an honor sharing this court with you, and, I respect so much what you have done."

Just maybe your opinion is not shared by everyone else. So far, you have at least Barchi, Hobbs and Pikielle lined up against you. Perhaps you might become just a little less certain in your opinions? Probably not.

Riz - You are so in love with your opinions. Set the program back for years? It is HER program. She built it into what you say you want it to be, although I doubt that.

Don't you also realize how quick and easy it is to turn around a basketball program? At least a BB program that is not among the worst in the country (see RU MBB for example). If the great coach you are going to replace her with can recruit two or three players her first year the fix is done, right? Of course, which great coach are you going to get with these facilities? Pray tell us. Maybe you don't think facilities affect recruiting. Do you think the Steve Pikielle of WBB can do it? 2 different situations right? BTW: That is not a knock on SP, I like the hire, but the state of MBB is quite different than WBB, no?

So we get it. In your opinion, WBB next year will be a disaster. As bad as MBB this year, right? The talent level of WBB next year will be as bad as MBB this year, right? Having her for another year, God forbid, 2 years, will totally destroy the WBB program, right? And what is your basis for this? The fact that she has gone from 28 wins to 23 wins to 19 wins, right? Plus your opinion of the talent remaining on the roster, right? Good thing you are not a MBB fan, those of us who are would kill for anything like those win totals. Maybe just a winning season. Maybe not finishing last in the conference.

Do you like Pikielle as a hire? Here are his comments on CVS: "Coach Stringer, a Hall of Fame coach, I'm very proud that you are here. I thank you. It is going to be an honor sharing this court with you, and, I respect so much what you have done."

Just maybe your opinion is not shared by everyone else. So far, you have at least Barchi, Hobbs and Pikielle lined up against you. Perhaps you might become just a little less certain in your opinions? Probably not.

+1

The program has already become non-significant nationally. There is no argument to that point. Unless you are living in the past.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT