ADVERTISEMENT

James Franklin Going To USC?

bigmatt718

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Mar 11, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Everyone knows Helton is history at USC once the clock hits zero vs ND, and apparently Franklin has been tied into rumors today about him being tied to the USC opening, and didn't outright deny them. If Franklin leaves for USC, I wonder if PSU steals Craven Moorehead back from Miss State.

Reactions: thegock
That was my thought. His response to the question during his press conference was typical Franklin Sleaze.

This article nails it.

https://www.readingeagle.com/sports...-head-coach-consider-leaving-for-southern-cal

“I guess it's that time of year where all this stuff happens,” Franklin said Tuesday at his weekly press conference. “It's the crazy, mad time of year where these types of things happen.
“As you guys know, like always, we're focused on Maryland (Saturday's opponent at Beaver Stadium) completely 100 percent. I don't even think it's fair or right to even be talking about that job, from everything I understand about it. We're completely focused on Maryland.”
Well, not everybody. Somebody in Franklin's camp wanted his name linked with the USC job.
Why? Because Bruce Feldman of FOX Sports and The Athletic, one of the writers who mentioned Franklin would be a strong candidate at USC, and Franklin are close.
Feldman said earlier this week on The Rich Eisen Show that Franklin has a “40 percent chance” to be the next USC coach. He said former NFL head coach and former USC player Jack Del Rio has a 30 percent chance to get the job and that Helton has a 30 percent chance to retain it.
“If you're James Franklin, you would go to a division where you're the best-resourced program,” Feldman said. “The Pac-12 South is a mess. … I could see James Franklin as the head coach there.”
Then there was this from Pat Forde of Yahoo Sports:
“The timing is right for Franklin to at least consider a move, with three-year starting quarterback Trace McSorley at the end of his stellar college career.
“Franklin could give USC the opportunity to break its insular hiring cycle, starting anew with a program outsider who can appeal to the mother lode of Southern California talent while running the program with more authority than Helton has been able to muster.”
Now, some folks believe USC is a better job than Penn State because of its fertile recruiting base and that it is in a weaker conference and division than the Big Ten or the Big Ten East. It is not a better-paying position, though.
According to USA Today, Helton is being paid a base salary of $2,625,965 this year, compared to $4.8 million for Franklin.
It would be surprising if Franklin left Penn State with as many as 18 starters returning in 2019, a ton of young talent on the roster and tremendous recruiting momentum.
So, is this an attempt by Franklin to increase the salaries of his assistant coaches and/or to improve Penn State's football facilities, both topics he's discussed many times the last few years?
Or is he truly interested in leaving Penn State for the USC job? He would only have to spend $1 million to buy out his contract, which is peanuts.
Only he knows, for sure.

Franklin goes Hollywood and Urban retires for health reasons. Scenario would add spice to the typical open positions of schools searching for respectability. .

Franklin goes Hollywood and Urban retires for health reasons. Scenario would add spice to the typical open positions of schools searching for respectability. .
So you’re saying it’s ripe for Schiano to return. :weary:

Reactions: MADHAT1
Actually I doubt Franklin has the resume for the USC job.
I seem to remember , around 10 years ago someone said RU was the USC of the East.
I think the RU HC at that time has the qualification to take the USC program over and be able to turn it into the RU of the West.

Since the USC Trojan and the Scarlet Knight both ride horses : I can see both fanbases telling me
****-U and the horse you rode in on for posting this .

That said, Franklin probably is a better fit at PSU .
As far as USC having more HS talent to pick from, Franklin mines the tri-state area as good as anyone for talent and has PSU back to being considered a top program.
Of the Nits 3 loses this year only one bad one (Michigan 42-7) and 2 close ones MSU by 4 & OSU by 1

Reactions: beaced

Does that mean that Greg is next HC at OSU?

I seem to remember , around 10 years ago someone said RU was the USC of the East.
I think the RU HC at that time has the qualification to take the USC program over and be able to turn it into the RU of the West.

Since the USC Trojan and the Scarlet Knight both ride horses : I can see both fanbases telling me

As far as USC having more HS talent to pick from, Franklin mines the tri-state area as good as anyone for talent and has PSU back to being considered a top program.
Of the Nits 3 loses this year only one bad one (Michigan 42-7) and 2 close ones MSU by 4 & OSU by 1
Clay Helton has the resume?

Franklin: " We are a great program at PSU. We now want to be an elite program" Good luck with that as you are moving in the opposite direction.

Please stay at PedState and turn it into an average program.

Reactions: thegock
Thoughts from a PSU perspective:

Franklin: This is likely coming from his agent, as Franklin has harped on increasing the salary pool for his assistant coaches essentially since he was hired. This could also be related to his relationship with AD Sandy Barbour. My sense is Franklin wants to stay, but is looking for more of a commitment from the university and potentially a new AD that better shares his vision for the future of the program. I have a hard time believing the administration would be dumb enough to let Franklin leave, but hey, we've seen higher-ups at PSU screw up before.

USC: For the people asking why USC would want Franklin, the answer is simple. Contrary to the opinions of armchair quarterbacks on the internet and social media, Franklin is very desirable. He has made some questionable decisions in-game, sure, but he is one of the top 10, and probably top five, guys in the country in terms of running all aspects of a program: recruiting, branding, etc. On top of that, his personality would probably play well in LA.

If pressed for an answer right now, I'd say he's back at PSU next season and for the long haul. But this is admittedly more smoke than I'd prefer.

ha...if you think the Tennessee fans went nuts.....it would be positively cataclysmic if psu tried to bring him in.

Not saying he would even be considered, but totally disagree on what you think the reaction would be. You forgot to factor in that you are dealing with PSU fans (Joe Pa ites) not phony born again's in Hooterville. Tenn wanted Gruden and they would have done anything to get him. Had little to do with GS and Penn St employment (IMO).

Not saying he would even be considered, but totally disagree on what you think the reaction would be. You forgot to factor in that you are dealing with PSU fans (Joe Pa ites) not phony born again's in Hooterville. Tenn wanted Gruden and they would have done anything to get him. Had little to do with GS and Penn St employment (IMO).

There would probably be a vocal minority of PSU fans who would endorse a Schiano hire because we'd line up under center again and maybe use a fullback. But the fans who get it, which includes a lot of the fans that actually buy tickets, would not be supportive. I personally would drop my tickets.

Of course, this is moot because (a) Schiano is not a good football coach worthy of the job and (b) the optics would be so horrible that even if he was deserving, it would never fly.

There would probably be a vocal minority of PSU fans who would endorse a Schiano hire because we'd line up under center again and maybe use a fullback. But the fans who get it, which includes a lot of the fans that actually buy tickets, would not be supportive. I personally would drop my tickets.

Of course, this is moot because (a) Schiano is not a good football coach worthy of the job and (b) the optics would be so horrible that even if he was deserving, it would never fly.

And see everything was going well until your second paragraph where you could not resist being a typical pompous little Penn State prick!

Reactions: RutgersRockies

****-U and the horse you rode in on for posting this .QUOTE} I like"Turn it into the RU of the West"

And see everything was going well until your second paragraph where you could not resist being a typical pompous little Penn State prick!

I guess. Greg Schiano isn't a very good head coach, and he certainly doesn't have the resume to be the head coach at a "name brand" program, whether that's Penn State, Ohio State, USC, or any number of other places. I don't think Tennessee fans went about it the right way, but they were absolutely correct to fight back against that hire. I've even discussed on this board how I wouldn't hire him back at Rutgers. He just isn't the kind of guy you hire if you want to win conference championships, let alone national titles.

Has USC ever had a black head coach?

I think not. (yeah, I know, us neither.. other than during Flood's suspension).

Its time. Franklin would be a smart hire all-around. Smart for USC and Franklin. It may not work out.. but it wouldn't matter. USC can only fall so far... and Franklin will have a big bed of money to fall back on and would move to TV.

Swann just signed Gomer to a 5 year $15M deal. I don't think he'll be firing him anytime soon if he intends to keep his own job. .

What I don’t understand is why would a coach who grew up in Pa, has coached college football exclusively on the east coast, furthest west he ever coached was a year with the Green Bay packers as a position coach, consider a California Job?

To me this is strictly a media grab story. As for Franklin though it would be fantastic news for Rutgers if he left. Since he’s been there PSU is 3-0 on the field vs Rutgers and is about 65-2 in terms of landing mutual recruits.

Right now we as a program cannot beat franklin for a mutual recruit. Period. Him leaving PSU would be the best news possible for RU.

Thoughts from a PSU perspective:

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. We don't care about the psu perspective nor was it warranted. Now go back to your cave psu Batman till the next psu bat signal is posted.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT