ADVERTISEMENT

Jay Wright Comment

RUsojo

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 18, 2010
During halftime or after the UVA game Jay Wright made a point that as Rutgers fans was impossible to ignore.

He said, closely paraphrasing here:

“teams that play defense and try to hold a team to a certain number of points is a style that can't sustain anymore”.

If someone else has the full quote word for word that would be great.

Essentially said the way teams can space and shoot it now it’s just not the way to go.

During halftime or after the UVA game Jay Wright made a point that as Rutgers fans was impossible to ignore.

“teams that play defense and try to hold a team to a certain number of points is a style that can't sustain anymore”.

Essentially said the way teams can space and shoot it now it’s just not the way to go.
You know he's out of coaching for a reason, right?

Rutgers will always play hard nose D. However, the reason it was such a focus was because we were taking reaches on recruits that weren't exactly known for their offensive skill set. As the talent improves, I'm guessing you'll see our offense improve and the sets become more complex with a reliance on skill.

Honest question: how certain are we that pike is as locked into the “defense first” philosophy as people think he is

Is it possible that pike has coached this way out of necessity knowing that we don’t have the athletes and shooters.

Any chance we see more of an emphasis on offense when the program has more upper-level shooters and athletes (which are coming btw)?

Thoughts?

Honest question: how certain are we that pike is as locked into the “defense first” philosophy as people think he is

Is it possible that pike has coached this way out of necessity knowing that we don’t have the athletes and shooters.

Any chance we see more of an emphasis on offense when the program has more upper-level shooters and athletes (which are coming btw)?

Thoughts?
Yes Pike has said as much. Not specifically about next year but that he coaches to his players abilities

I think Pikiell had to do what he had to do to get competitive. The team in the first few years made up for the talent gap by playing hard nose defense and offensive rebounding. His early years, they may have led the league or close to it.

The last few years were defense with a lot of lengthy defenders and some better shooting, but not enough.

IMO, Next year will start the transition to more scoring....Simpson, Spencer, Griffith on the perimeter opening up more for Cliff. Maybe another transfer shooter. But, as mentioned in this thread, they will always play defense.

Flashback to Pikiell's opening press conference....he said he has had teams that won the league being the best defensive team and has won the league by being the highest scoring team.

Last edited:
I think Pikiell had to do what he had to do to get competitive. The team in the first few years made up for the talent gap by playing hard nose defense and offensive rebounding. His early years, they may have led the league or close to it.

The last few years were defense and some better shooting, but not enough.

IMO, Next year will start the transition to more scoring....Simpson, Spencer, Griffith on the perimeter opening up more for Cliff. Maybe another transfer shooter. But, as mentioned in this thread, they will always play defense.

Flashback to Pikiell's opening press conference....he said he has had teams that won the league being the best defensive team and has won the league by being the highest scoring team.
Correct. Some people don’t get it

The last few years were defense and some better shooting, but not enough.

Yep . Now it’s time for the talent to become a very good program

You can play that, but not exclusively without an offense.

Pike had to coach up Defense with players who didn't have a ton of offensive prowess in order to build. Some guys like Geo and Ron developed it better than others.

But if you look at Cam, and potentially what Simpson could be, plus our recruits coming in, he is going to coach up naturally talented offensive players to play that hard nose D. That could make for a lethal combination.

You can play that, but not exclusively without an offense.

Pike had to coach up Defense with players who didn't have a ton of offensive prowess in order to build. Some guys like Geo and Ron developed it better than others.

But if you look at Cam, and potentially what Simpson could be, plus our recruits coming in, he is going to coach up naturally talented offensive players to play that hard nose D. That could make for a lethal combination.
Right. . No reason to worry

So he wants college to be like the NBA where no one plays defense and just up and down scoring ?

Ok just to be sure I saw this.. the #18 offensive team in the country Iowa averaging 80+ points a game just lost to Auburn, the $150,+ offensive team in the country averaging 73points.

It just doesn’t work anymore. Only worked in 19 games this year for RU. How many games did it work for his recruits at Villanova this year? Last I checked their season ended the same day as ours
They had some key injuries and a bad choice for head coach. Things aren't great over there right now.

You can have the best defense in NCAA history but if your offense regresses from being bad already, well things might not work out for you

Careful, Jay! Don’t post that hers! I got CREAMED for literally posting the same thing. Offense wins, “scorers” and shooters. We have them coming in, but that’s we failed in many games this season.

Thoughts?
i sort of agree....it's not a rigid philosophy. it's due to the roster composition. but, that's his fault. in contrast, it IS Schiano's rigid philosophy and will forever doom his teams to bottom Big10 tier.

Reactions: RUDivision

I haven’t read one reaponse to this quote yet, so it may have already been said. So, sort of agree with this quote from him, but you have to understand, Pike built this program from the pieces he had,(AND, as we can all see, he’s probably not going anywhere), so it’s a slow build that hopefully will sustain itself. The point is, even with this “defensive” system that he plays, once you put 3,4, and 5 star players in this system, they should win 22-25 games per season, and who wouldn’t buy into that? Trust me, I’m frustrated with this whole season, but as long l as the recruits who have committed come, we should be very happy

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Thanks, in that case, I agree. NBA D is amazing.

NBA players don’t really play defense until the playoffs.

It’s been like that for years.

This is the biggest reason why I don’t really have much interest in the NBA during the regular season any longer, it’s a bad overall product of basketball (and idc how many people watch the NBA).

NBA players don’t really play defense until the playoffs.

It’s been like that for years.

This is the biggest reason why I don’t really have much interest in the NBA during the regular season any longer, it’s a bad overall product of basketball (and idc how many people watch the NBA).
NBA is the best basketball in the world. They play better defense than college teams do, it's not close, the rotations and communication are incredible. I pretty much only watch the Warriors and the Celtics with an occasional Bucks game in there, so I guess I should say all this applies to the good teams.

College basketball is more about the stories, the players, the coaches, their journey, the emotion, the history, that kind of thing.

Careful, Jay! Don’t post that hers! I got CREAMED for literally posting the same thing. Offense wins, “scorers” and shooters. We have them coming in, but that’s we failed in many games this season.
We also scored 82 iowa , 74 nebby,, 72 Minny, and 84 Tuesday shooting over 50% and lost all four.

I don't disagree we need a better offense. But imo it's not about giving up on tough D but getting those guys who can consistently make a decent number of shots.

Reactions: biazza38
Which guys? Guys who actually watch NBA games?
Ha, no I think these guys may have overhead some guy in their local Deli say they don’t play defense in the NBA, and so they believe it. Of course they can’t explain why all these great college players that they love can’t last 5 minutes in an NBA game without being humiliated.

Ha, no I think these guys may have overhead some guy in their local Deli say they don’t play defense in the NBA, and so they believe it. Of course they can’t explain why all these great college players that they love can’t last 5 minutes in an NBA game without being humiliated.
Got it, I misunderstood.
After watching a bunch of college games - B1G tournament, I was watching and NBA game with my son and a guy made a semi-contested shot and I said "wow tough shot, pretty good D" and my son said "Dad you've been watching too much college, that D sucked, you can't let that guy get into his shot"
Kid is pretty smart

NBA is the best basketball in the world. They play better defense than college teams do, it's not close, the rotations and communication are incredible. I pretty much only watch the Warriors and the Celtics with an occasional Bucks game in there, so I guess I should say all this applies to the good teams.

College basketball is more about the stories, the players, the coaches, their journey, the emotion, the history, that kind of thing.

Well I would hope NBA defensive rotations and communications are better than college players…they’re professionals who are more talented and have way more experience than 18-22 year olds. That doesn’t necessarily mean it’s “good” defense.

Some of the scoring is definitely due to a change in the offensive style, personnel and even reffing.

But overall NBA players don’t play that hard on defense unless there’s about 6 minutes left in a regular season game or it’s the Playoffs. Pay attention to the defensive intensity level right now vs. the level in 2/3 months. It will be quite the contrast.

If you love offense of course you like the NBA product. I don’t have much interest in watching 130-120 scoring contests where players aren’t giving it their all on both sides of the court.

Well I would hope NBA defensive rotations and communications are better than college players…they’re professionals who are more talented and have way more experience than 18-22 year olds. That doesn’t necessarily mean it’s “good” defense.

Some of the scoring is definitely due to a change in the offensive style, personnel and even reffing.

But overall NBA players don’t play that hard on defense unless there’s about 6 minutes left in a regular season game or it’s the Playoffs. Pay attention to the defensive intensity level right now vs. the level in 2/3 months. It will be quite the contrast.

If you love offense of course you like the NBA product. I don’t have much interest in watching 130-120 scoring contests where players aren’t giving it their all on both sides of the court.

You just told me all about the NBA then said you have no interest in watching it. OK.

You just told me all about the NBA then said you have no interest in watching it. OK.

Okay well I watch a Sixers game every week or so. Nowhere near the point when I watched every single game.

It’s just not a great product for me, largely because of the lack of intensity on defense until the playoffs. I do watch a lot more playoff games and enjoy it - total different product than the regular season.

And what I said was I don’t really have interest in the regular NBA season anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT