ADVERTISEMENT

Kyle McCord enters portal

Excuses:
Dec 2021:
“I’m a diehard RU fan but I don’t understand how this NIL thing works and RU needs to get a collective together. We’re going to fall behind”

Dec 2022
“I’m a diehard RU fan but I’m not going to donate money to an embarrassing program that GS is running until I see progress”

Oct 2023
“I’m a diehard RU fan but I’m not going to donate until I see how these NILs shake out”

Nov 2023
“I’m a diehard RU fan but money isn’t that important to people when considering a transfer. Rutgers has so much to offer. What, me give money? No f’in way! Yes, I’m aware that money isn’t the most important thing”

Dec 2023
“That kid was never going to come here even if we had a competitive NIL deal for him”
Seems that you and theat 365 poster are the same person.

Fieldhouse Al… by the time we get a Fieldhouse built, other programs will already have the next thing. Where will you move the fantasy goalposts ? What the next quixotic goal be ? African safari in Johnson Park ? Or think big, draining the Raritan for a three level football, basketball and hockey venue with three events at once (and gold escalators). Do you think $250 is a good ticket price to allow moving from one game to another?
Well, a fieldhouse is important- not sure why you think it shouldn't be the centerpiece of us joining our counterparts.

because he's not at our level. He isn't going to go to a school to compete for bowl games. He's competing for championships
I'd say it is unlikely one of the other teams at a national championship level is going to want him.

Reactions: colbert17
I don’t think you understand that we don’t have much in NIL because many don’t want to pay players. Meaning they aren’t doing it, period. The Fieldhouse benefits everyone, and is far more important to our situation than NIL. Our realistic recruiting Pool consists of Non-NIL players.
This is more in line then what the idiots are yelling in regard to NIL. I give you and many others great credit for the work you do and the money and effort you guys put not only into NIL but through support and all the other normal donations.

For someone like me- yes, I have a problem with fans being required to pay players for NIL. If I had a local business and their NIL could benefit my business- hell yes, I would be all over it.
The family and I have given a lot to Rutgers football over the years and I enjoy being a fan even though I currently have no ties to Rutgers at all. And to be honest- If I just happened to walk away from it, Rutgers wouldn't miss me and after a few games, I would find myself doing other fun things on Saturdays.

For now- still a fan and still enjoy talking football and Rutgers. But the holier than thou group telling us we have no right to an opinion(and it is funny- the fans like yourself, who really have given the most- don't act this way) - well, the others are just going to piss off everyone else so much that they will walk away too.

First, admittedly, Shelby doesn't donate to NIL coffers because he has different value and spending priorities. Yet he understands generally that ample NIL should boost on-field results, so he does appreciate the NIL others fund.

However, for those who do donate, do you think GS is steering your donations optimally ? We've got the NIL pool thanks to all who donate, and GS allocates it. Is he spending it wisely ? Is GW worth it, for example ? Do you trust that overall it's mostly always well-spent ?

First, admittedly, Shelby doesn't donate to NIL coffers because he has different value and spending priorities. Yet he understands generally that ample NIL should boost on-field results, so he does appreciate the NIL others fund.

However, for those who do donate, do you think GS is steering your donations optimally ? We've got the NIL pool thanks to all who donate, and GS allocates it. Is he spending it wisely ? Is GW worth it, for example ? Do you trust that overall it's mostly always well-spent ?

I certainly trust GS with the NIL money more than I do somebody who refers to themselves in the third person.

This is more in line then what the idiots are yelling in regard to NIL. I give you and many others great credit for the work you do and the money and effort you guys put not only into NIL but through support and all the other normal donations.

For someone like me- yes, I have a problem with fans being required to pay players for NIL. If I had a local business and their NIL could benefit my business- hell yes, I would be all over it.
The family and I have given a lot to Rutgers football over the years and I enjoy being a fan even though I currently have no ties to Rutgers at all. And to be honest- If I just happened to walk away from it, Rutgers wouldn't miss me and after a few games, I would find myself doing other fun things on Saturdays.

For now- still a fan and still enjoy talking football and Rutgers. But the holier than thou group telling us we have no right to an opinion(and it is funny- the fans like yourself, who really have given the most- don't act this way) - well, the others are just going to piss off everyone else so much that they will walk away too.
Seems like an Amway scheme-scam, doesn't it--work harder, give more money and you will see results?

Others have said- we'd like to see the school better manage it's resources and dollars. There is a lot of waste and fat. This bank is tapped out. There are proposals on the table for college athletes to get a share of TV revenue. Lord Harbaugh made a plea for that yesterday in his interview when the Cheaters were announced in the CFP. I'm not accepting blame for not giving to an organization that is part of a larger organization that is inherently messed up. Media companies making billions/hundreds of millions, sharing revenue with teams and conferences that are doing what with all that money? The other fallacy is the use of all that money to support non-revenue sports. Let the fencing and underwater water polo teams rely on donations, or just become intramural sports.

Ignore that dick troll. Probably gives zero to NIL. Give zero to this board beyond insults.
Ignore facts? That’s what you said when questioned on why you don’t donate. I’m all tapped out to Rutgers R for the foreseeable future. Who did I insult? I stated an opinion that is probably right. Only you are allowed to insult people? I know how this board works Gramps.

Bottom line, McCord would be a major upgrade at the position and our administration and coaches should go after him and make a competitive offer.

Reactions: RU#1fan
Let the fencing and underwater water polo teams rely on donations, or just become intramural sports.

I take it you realize that if this were implemented the only NCAA sports teams Rutgers would have are football and men's hoops. No women's soccer or basketball (Title IX failure). Both have gone deep into the NCAA tournaments in the past. No men's lacrosse and their Final 4 appearance as recently as 2022.

No that it means much in the day of NIL, but RU was McCord's dream school growing up.

I take it you realize that if this were implemented the only NCAA sports teams Rutgers would have are football and men's hoops. No women's soccer or basketball (Title IX failure). Both have gone deep into the NCAA tournaments in the past. No men's lacrosse and their Final 4 appearance as recently as 2022.
Let the geniuses at the NCAA or at the conference level figure this out. Maybe the do-gooders of this world can find it in their hearts to make charitable donations to each school's non-revenue sport ecosystems. NCAAF and NCAAM Hoops is in a new world order. Media companies dictate things now. Universities are reaping $70-90/million per year on these media rights. Donors are still being asked to fund building of fieldhouses, travel funds, etc, etc. And now NIL.

Yes, my posts are facetious. Let the geniuses controlling the dollars to find a way for the money to trickle down to the athletes. NIL as it is today is legalized bag "men".

Reactions: yesrutgers01
I certainly trust GS with the NIL money more than I do somebody who refers to themselves in the third person.
Not the question. Like with any charity, you have to trust your donations serve your interests best.

Just to be clear, all I do is write checks and encourage people to support NIL. My friends work very hard as volunteers to manage it, which isn’t easy. So I do what I can to support their efforts.

Wimsatt NEEDS to get better but passing stats don’t mean everything.

Here is QBR.
BIG TEN TOTAL QBR SEASON (OVERALL RANK)
1 JJ McCarthy/Michigan 90.6
(2)2 Kyle McCord/Ohio State 83.8
(8)3 Drew Allar/Penn State 73.0
(28) 4 Taulia Tagovailoa/Maryland 70.3
(33)5 Brendan Sorsby/Indiana 61.9
(62)6 Tanner Mordecai/Wisconsin 58.2
(72)7 Gavin Wimsatt/Rutgers 56.9
(79)8 Luke Altmyer/Illinois 56.6
(80)9 Athan Kaliakmanis/Minnesota 55.2
(85)10 Ben Bryant/Northwestern 48.8
(92)11 Katin Houser/Michigan State 47.0
(97)12 Hudson Card/Purdue 46.6
(98)13 Heinrich Haarberg/Nebraska 39.5
(110)14 Deacon Hill/Iowa 20.3 (131)
Gavin doesn't look good , going by this.
But there are some names I thought were better looking worse
2023 College Football Season Leaders Total QBR | ESPN
https://www.espn.com/college-football/qbr

Just to be clear, all I do is write checks and encourage people to support NIL. My friends work very hard as volunteers to manage it, which isn’t easy. So I do what I can to support their efforts.
Understood- and you also talk about it here and why and how it can help the program. You give to it, you donate in many other way$$$ too and you support this program as much or more than 90% of fans- But, you also don't look or talk down to others that may not either have the means, ability or even "need or want to do the same.

You get others calling long time donors and supporters gramps- or telling them they are not allowed an opinion. Meanwhile- you know that if hey blindly call people "gramps" they have not been around long enough to donate a pimple on the old ass gramps they are talking down to.
Others- oh- it's only $11 a month- not different than half a pizza- I do it so I am allowed to shout at everyone else- WTF- think about what this person is saying- "I give almost $150 a year, that makes me special"

Bottom line, McCord would be a major upgrade at the position and our administration and coaches should go after him and make a competitive offer.
"competitive offer" if they can!
But RU needs to go after one that could give Gavin competition and not give Wimstatt
an unfair advantage.

Seems that you and theat 365 poster are the same person.

Understood- and you also talk about it here and why and how it can help the program. You give to it, you donate in many other way$$$ too and you support this program as much or more than 90% of fans- But, you also don't look or talk down to others that may not either have the means, ability or even "need or want to do the same.

You get others calling long time donors and supporters gramps- or telling them they are not allowed an opinion. Meanwhile- you know that if hey blindly call people "gramps" they have not been around long enough to donate a pimple on the old ass gramps they are talking down to.
Others- oh- it's only $11 a month- not different than half a pizza- I do it so I am allowed to shout at everyone else- WTF- think about what this person is saying- "I give almost $150 a year, that makes me special"
No one insults more than gramps why is that ok? 11 is the minimum to give a month that’s not what I’m giving because I want to win not just discuss winning but do nothing to help the team.

This.
If we haven’t at least reached out we have bigger issues than we thought.

This.
If we haven’t at least reached out we have bigger issues than we thought.
Agree with both of you.
Like the lottery ad says- gotta be in it to win it.
I hope that the purported fear of driving off our star QB by going to the portal does not truly exist. Need an upgrade at the position if we are going to compete with UW and other top players in the conference. Raise the bar.

Reactions: essexknight
I actually agree with you. Don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but he would be smart to go elsewhere.
LSU might be a landing spot with their QB looking like he'll be a top draft choice
Notre Dame is another program that will be looking, Duke's Riley Leonard is on their radar,but McCord would be a good option.
Then there will be the Arch Manning sweepstakes if he enters the portal because Texas' QB Qiunn Ewers said he's returning.

All three would be great gets for Rutgers, but all of them are out of RU's price range
I hope Oklahoma's traveling man Dillon Gabriel ( UCF to Oklahoma and now points beyond) is in RU's price range

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
Here are some of the comments on McCord from eleven warriors :

Dude stop. Anyone who has watched the All 22 and know football have said he's not good enough. He misses reads way too much to be a top QB

And they would've won if the QB wasn't bad. There's a reason everyone who knows football says the dude is mediocre with major flaws

They were a few wide open TD passes missed by Kyle "one read" McCord away from beating Michigan

Yep, kept missing wide open guys. The last pick he threw, he had Emeka wide open down the sideline but threw it to MHJ who was surrounded by defenders. I know he was hit on the throw, but Emeka was open earlier, so probably could've got the pass off clean.

All McCord had to do was not make mistakes, and OSU wins. So many under thrown passess. Good luck to him, but he's no longer going to have the receivers to bail him out.

Do you mean calls by the refs? I saw too many balls thrown in the dirt or behind receivers, quite a few open receivers that weren't seen/thrown to and frustrated, first downs and touchdowns left on the field. I think we're some basic, decent reads and throws away from being #1 right now.

You need to actually watch some film. Day didn’t quit on him. Day made play calls that had people running wide open all season. McCord couldn’t read a defense or make the easy throws easy. His play was sub par at best. Terrible take here from you. Blame everyone but McCord is basically what you’re doing. Get a grip bud. Terrible terrible take. It’s fans like you who give this fan base a bad name and make folks think we don’t know football.

VERY happy actually. McCord had the best receivers in the country and wasted them. Look at what Haskins, Fields and Stroud did with top talent. And don't tell me "but the offensive line was bad". They protected him well all season. They struggled with the run game. Get over it and time to move on from Belasari 2.0 (except McCord can't run). And that's the other thing, McCord was like a statue back there.

Agree with both of you.
Like the lottery ad says- gotta be in it to win it.
I hope that the purported fear of driving off our star QB by going to the portal does not truly exist. Need an upgrade at the position if we are going to compete with UW and other top players in the conference. Raise the bar.
Wimsatt isn't going anywhere, no other FBS program is going to play him at QB, let alone pay him NIL $s. If he leaves because his feelings are hurt, then he lacked the mental fortitude to succeed at that position to begin with.

Reactions: Morrischiano
Then for the love of God please get off the $125mm New Fieldhouse demand and find a way to creatively convert some of those $$$ into NIL. (not you 72 , him). Win and then you'll get more donations.
This feels like one of those charities that is always screaming "we're broke" just to grab every $ possible when funds are in the bank.
I have an idea to move Rutgers money to NIL money. I use to work in Radio and they always had ways to sell their advertising. We, I believe we have some budget for advertising maybe $1-3 million, and we can sell packages where we request the advertiser, like a car dealership, to put up sponsorship money for the NIL of one player and we pay for the advertising for Rutgers and the advertiser in the same commercial. We, CBS, use to sell Super Bowl packages, to sell our advertising. Same principal. One time they tried to give away Amex traveler checks with the sales but that sounded more like a kickback because you didn’t know who received the traveler checks.

This place is truly blind. There wasn’t a competition last year, there won’t be one next year, and the there won’t be one the year after.

And let’s pretend there would be a competition, why would anyone with other options at higher profile places, places with more talent, more NIL and a pass-friendly philosophy come here ? I predict an underperforming SEC team or UNC.

No that it means much in the day of NIL, but RU was McCord's dream school growing up.
Just don’t think he’s coming to RU as he will command some B1G $$$$ . There are at least 60 QB’s in the portal as reported. You would cause more issues in the Rutgers QB room and that could be a bad thing. It is all up to Schiano who probably would love it. Let’s see what happens.

Dude stop. Anyone who has watched the All 22 and know football have said he's not good enough. He misses reads way too much to be a top QB

And they would've won if the QB wasn't bad. There's a reason everyone who knows football says the dude is mediocre with major flaws

They were a few wide open TD passes missed by Kyle "one read" McCord away from beating Michigan

Yep, kept missing wide open guys. The last pick he threw, he had Emeka wide open down the sideline but threw it to MHJ who was surrounded by defenders. I know he was hit on the throw, but Emeka was open earlier, so probably could've got the pass off clean.

All McCord had to do was not make mistakes, and OSU wins. So many under thrown passess. Good luck to him, but he's no longer going to have the receivers to bail him out.

Do you mean calls by the refs? I saw too many balls thrown in the dirt or behind receivers, quite a few open receivers that weren't seen/thrown to and frustrated, first downs and touchdowns left on the field. I think we're some basic, decent reads and throws away from being #1 right now.

You need to actually watch some film. Day didn’t quit on him. Day made play calls that had people running wide open all season. McCord couldn’t read a defense or make the easy throws easy. His play was sub par at best. Terrible take here from you. Blame everyone but McCord is basically what you’re doing. Get a grip bud. Terrible terrible take. It’s fans like you who give this fan base a bad name and make folks think we don’t know football.

VERY happy actually. McCord had the best receivers in the country and wasted them. Look at what Haskins, Fields and Stroud did with top talent. And don't tell me "but the offensive line was bad". They protected him well all season. They struggled with the run game. Get over it and time to move on from Belasari 2.0 (except McCord can't run). And that's the other thing, McCord was like a statue back there.
Osu fans cannot comprehend/accept that Michigan is better than them. There must be a scapegoat. Where ever McCord ends up he was smart to leave now IMO. They are going to bring in a top, top transfer talent at qb.

This place is truly blind. There wasn’t a competition last year, there won’t be one next year, and the there won’t be one the year after.

And let’s pretend there would be a competition, why would anyone with other options at higher profile places, places with more talent, more NIL and a pass-friendly philosophy come here ? I predict an underperforming SEC team or UNC.
I can't be called a Schiano fan, however, I truly believe he is a very competitive guy and wants to win. Surely, he can see Wimsatt's limitations and has to be working the phones to see if he can upgrade the position. I would not expect him to publicly announce it, in fact, he would probably publicly deny it, but that doesn't mean it is not happening behind the scenes.

Ohio State has a problem judging QB in the past. They had Joe Burrow sitting on the bench before transferring to LSU to win the national championship. They had Texas QB Ewings sitting on the bench before he transferred and now close to being the Heisman winner.

• Wow
Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Wimsatt isn't going anywhere, no other FBS program is going to play him at QB, let alone pay him NIL $s. If he leaves because his feelings are hurt, then he lacked the mental fortitude to succeed at that position to begin with.
Another FBS program probably will be willing to give Gavin a shot at being starter, but he'll have to earn it, not going there with the starter's job assured to be his to lose.

NIL money won't be there

LSU might be a landing spot with their QB looking like he'll be a top draft choice
Notre Dame is another program that will be looking, Duke's Riley Leonard is on their radar,but McCord would be a good option.
Then there will be the Arch Manning sweepstakes if he enters the portal because Texas' QB Qiunn Ewers said he's returning.

All three would be great gets for Rutgers, but all of them are out of RU's price range
I hope Oklahoma's traveling man Dillon Gabriel ( UCF to Oklahoma and now points beyond) is in RU's price range
randy marsh GIF by South Park

I wish we could land DJ Uiagalelei from Oregon State....I know that's a dream but spend some big cash and see how good Rutgers can be with a very good defense, good running game and a QB that will put points on the scoreboard!

Last edited:
Reactions: Zimm80 and RUnTeX
I wish we could land DJ Uiagalelei from Oregon State....I know thats a dream but spend some big cash and see how good Rutgers can be with a very good defense and a QB that will put points on the scoreboard!
He would also be a major upgrade, I would take him in a NY minute.

I wish we could land DJ Uiagalelei from Oregon State....I know thats a dream but spend some big cash and see how good Rutgers can be with a very good defense and a QB that will put points on the scoreboard!
And an upgraded WR / TE room then we can make some noise.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT