ADVERTISEMENT

LAX NCAA selections

What, someone thinks that Delany knows that there are lacrosse programs in the B1G? If it’s not football or men’s hoop, don’t hold your breathe waiting for the B1G mangement to care. Other than a couple schools that squeeze out a few bucks or break even on hockey, every program not named football and men’s baaketball are money-losers and Delany has shown that he is all about making money. As long as the NCAA stays out of the B1G television revenue, he couldn’t care less about lacrosse.
I don't agree with this one bit. He has a television channel to provide content for which makes money. What makes more money? Having a better quality product to sell to advertisers. You can't show football and basketball 24/7, 365 days a year you need other high quality sports programming.

The more teams in the NCAA tournament and the more they can promote their channel BTN. Which in turn leads to higher advertising dollars and upon the next television contract increased bids. It's his job to ask questions why only 2 schools were invited and a conference they beat 6-2 received 4 bids. He has a television contract to protect.

Reactions: RU MAN
Once again, 78 shows his ignorance. Considering Delany was at the B1G lacrosse tournament, as he has been to every single one, including a number of games throughout the seasons, I am guessing he knows there is a sport called lacrosse and it's in his stable.

Someone needs to take 78's computer away.

I'm over college lacrosse. I don't care who wins, though if Villanova gets their ass kicked, I won't be upset.
I'm with you Cali. I knew it was going to be tough with Georgetown and Cornell winning this weekend but Nova has no f'n right to be in this tournament. Bucknell, OSU and Rutgers much more deserving. It is a complete farce that the ACC got 4 bids and B1G 2. Anyone at the Rutgers Cuse game saw the final score wasn't as close as indicated. We dominated the last 20 minutes of the game.

We beat teams from Big East, Patriot, Ivy and ACC and still nothing.

At least Quint, who is not always the biggest RU fan, came out and defended us and OSU saying Nova being in tournament was a joke.

I just have no desire to watch the ACC teams play in the tournament.

I hope Nova getting smoked and I'll pull for B1G and probably Albany or Yale. Want to see some creative up and down lax. ND offense is putrid.

Just so tired of the selection process.

I'm over college lacrosse. I don't care who wins, though if Villanova gets their ass kicked, I won't be upset.

All in all, we finally have a Division 1 field that is seemingly balanced…at least not concentrated on a handful of teams. The mayhem, as it were, in the conference championships makes it fun and exciting. All in all, I’m pleased with where our game is. (Almost) Anyone can beat (almost) anyone on any given day. That’s a good thing.

But…I have three problems with this year's selections.

1) Syracuse. When you can make an argument that a team could have been left out, they certainly should not be hosting a first round game. I get that they were 4-1 in ACC play…then win your conf tourney, dammit!

2) Villanova. Man. That one stings. Yes, they beat Yale in week 1. Neither team is where they were that weekend. Nova has slid backwards into the NCAA and will get throttled.

3) The AQ. I love the AQ overall, but not granting the ACC an AQ because they don’t have enough teams but essentially giving them an AQ just because is insulting.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
All in all, we finally have a Division 1 field that is seemingly balanced…at least not concentrated on a handful of teams. The mayhem, as it were, in the conference championships makes it fun and exciting. All in all, I’m pleased with where our game is. (Almost) Anyone can beat (almost) anyone on any given day. That’s a good thing.

1) Syracuse. When you can make an argument that a team could have been left out, they certainly should not be hosting a first round game. I get that they were 4-1 in ACC play…then win your conf tourney, dammit!

2) Villanova. Man. That one stings. Yes, they beat Yale in week 1. Neither team is where they were that weekend. Nova has slid backwards into the NCAA and will get throttled.

3) The AQ. I love the AQ overall, but not granting the ACC an AQ because they don’t have enough teams but essentially giving them an AQ just because is insulting.

Small selection committees are prone to corruption.
We have a similar problem in football.

The B1G played a stronger non-conference schedule than the SEC did and yet still had a better non-conference record than the SEC.

The committee selects two SEC teams and no B1G teams.

We'll never know whether Ohio State, Wisconsin, Penn State or even undefeated Central Florida would have won the National Championship last year.

They weren't given the chance. because, of a small frickin committee.

Last edited:

The B1G played a stronger non-conference schedule than the SEC did and yet still had a better non-conference record than the SEC.

We'll never know whether Ohio State, Wisconsin, Penn State or even undefeated South Florida would have won the National Championship last year.

Central florida

We'll never know whether Ohio State, Wisconsin, Penn State or even undefeated South Florida would have won the National Championship last year.

Don't let Iowa hang 55 on you and don't lose 2 games----especially 2 you should have won.

OSU got drubbed twice

No 2 loss team has gotten into the Playoff

No Bama fan by any means but they were better than all 3 teams mentioned this year and the Playoff bore that out.

On the current topic IMO RU , Bucky and OSU got a terrible screw job by the committee

It makes one question the logic (or lack thereof) of a selection process where the 13th ranked team doesn’t make a 17 team field.

If the lax committee was like the football committee, Nova would be out based on the eye test. I get your point, just a bad example

It makes one question the logic (or lack thereof) of a selection process where the 13th ranked team doesn’t make a 17 team field.

Answer: AQ's that aren't even in the Top 25 and the Baltimore mafia

Syracuse usually leads the nation in lacrosse attendance, and Cornell-Syracuse at Syracuse will be more of an event with big attendance. I definitely do NOT agree with this reasoning, but I think the NCAA wanted a game in Syracuse.

Don't let Iowa hang 55 on you and don't lose 2 games----especially 2 you should have won.

OSU got drubbed twice

No 2 loss team has gotten into the Playoff

No Bama fan by any means but they were better than all 3 teams mentioned this year and the Playoff bore that out.

On the current topic IMO RU , Bucky and OSU got a terrible screw job by the committee

Ohio State may have lost two games but they also beat more highly ranked teams than anybody and they won their conference.

Alabama didn't even win their division.

UCF went undefeated and they beat Auburn, which beat Alabama in Alabama's last regular season game.

Why does Wisconsin get eliminated for losing a close game at the end of the season to a great team in Ohio State and not Alabama after they were handled by Auburn ?

The point is that the playoffs never bore anything out,
because, four of the teams that deserved a chance to play for the National Championship weren't even given a chance to play for it.

Alabama is very fortunate that they didn't have to play Ohio State, Wisconsin, Penn State or UCF last year. The committee saw to that.

It isn't just about who you lose too. Who you have beaten is just as important.

Rutgers Men's Lacrosse beat a lot of good teams this year that many NCAA Tournament participants didn't prove they could beat.

The committee just doesn't consider strong wins as much as they should.

Last edited:
Friend from work has a son who played Lacrosse for Yale. Said he thought we were screwed and did not think Nova was that good.

Ohio State may have lost two games but they also beat more highly ranked teams than anybody and they won their conference.

Alabama didn't even win their division.

UCF went undefeated and they beat Auburn, which beat Alabama in Alabama's last regular season game.

Why does Wisconsin get eliminated for losing a close game at the end of the season to a great team in Ohio State and not Alabama after they were handled by Auburn ?

The point is that the playoffs never bore anything out,
because, four of the teams that deserved a chance to play for the National Championship weren't even given a chance to play for it.

Alabama is very fortunate that they didn't have to play Ohio State, Wisconsin, Penn State or UCF last year. The committee saw to that.

It isn't just about who you lose too. Who you have beaten is just as important.

Rutgers Men's Lacrosse beat a lot of good teams this year that many NCAA Tournament participants didn't prove they could beat.

The committee just doesn't consider strong wins as much as they should.

They didn't just lose----they got drubbed-----you can't lose by 40 to Iowa and 21 to OU at home and play for a MNC-----it just won't happen

Wisc and UCF got killed by their SOS------unfortunate but I don't believe any non Power 5 school belongs in a 4 team playoff and Wisc had no quality wins

If PSU didn't lose to Mich ST they were in------a Sparty team which also got run off the field twice.

Sincerely hope the next Big Ten team fares a bit better in the Playoff than the last 2-----outscored 69-0

Denver isn't average------you're saying that off 1 poor game Cali-----will guarantee their game with us is decided in the last 2-3 minutes.

They always are.

Denver would be a very tough matchup for RU given their issues at FOGO

Denver isn't average------you're saying that off 1 poor game Cali-----will guarantee their game with us is decided in the last 2-3 minutes.

They always are.

Denver would be a very tough matchup for RU given their issues at FOGO

Denver is little more than a faceoff guy. If it's close with ND, it's because ND went cold.

Denver's two headed goalie situation isn't great. Their midfield D is suspect and their offense has stagnated.

ND is playing well. If they continue that form, Denver will get their doors blown off.

Denver is little more than a faceoff guy. If it's close with ND, it's because ND went cold.

Denver's two headed goalie situation isn't great. Their midfield D is suspect and their offense has stagnated.

ND is playing well. If they continue that form, Denver will get their doors blown off.
That hasn't happened------games are always close-------Denver has a 12-7 win over Ohio St and a road win at GTown on their resume along with the Nova drubbing.

Tierney is a prick but he can coach.

We better start winning some big games & get into the NCAA's or I am afraid for the effect on our recruiting.

Well, neither. Transfers don't happen until the end of the season. I wouldn't be surprised if we land one or two, but don't know anything about that. It's too early.

I’m confused. Usually your original comment means we landed someone. Unless this was around facilities or AC is cleared to practice.

Or something else. It's really good news. I just don't want to drop the specifics until the school does or it becomes public another way. It's not my place.
Well now you have my attention. What’s the timeline?

Neither. I’m sure it will be announced soon. It’s a huge positive for next year.

They didn't just lose----they got drubbed-----you can't lose by 40 to Iowa and 21 to OU at home and play for a MNC-----it just won't happen

Wisc and UCF got killed by their SOS------unfortunate but I don't believe any non Power 5 school belongs in a 4 team playoff and Wisc had no quality wins

If PSU didn't lose to Mich ST they were in------a Sparty team which also got run off the field twice.

Sincerely hope the next Big Ten team fares a bit better in the Playoff than the last 2-----outscored 69-0

Alabama didn't have any quality wins prior to the playoffs either and Wisconsin's only loss was in a close game to a great team in Ohio State. Alabama was handled by Auburn which undefeated UCF beat.

Records in prior seasons should have no bearing on selections for postseason tournaments.

A small committee is more susceptible to allow records from prior seasons to cloud their judgement when evaluating the current season.

Men's Lacrosse teams like Rutgers shouldn't get eliminated in favor of teams like Syracuse due to prior seasons anymore than Ohio State, Wisconsin, Penn State or UCF should have been eliminated in favor of Alabama in football due to prior seasons.

Either expand the size of the selection committees, the number of teams in the tournament fields or both.
But, don't allow small committees to determine the fate of great teams that have performed at similar levels.

Great teams deserve to determine who is better on the field.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT