ADVERTISEMENT

March MatNess is ON ! NCAA Wrestling Tourney Thread :

Abro1975

Hall of Famer
Nov 21, 2009
Session 1 noon today

133: Scott DelVecchio vs 3 seed Kaid Brock (Ok St)
141: 5 Seed Anthony Ashnault vs Mason Smith (CMU)
149: 15 Seed Ken Theobold vs Sam Krivus (UVa)
157: 13 Seed John Van Brill vs Kyle Langenderfer (ILL.)
174: Jordan Pagano vs 6 Seed Ryan Preicsh (Lehigh)
184: Nick Gravina vs 3 Seed Sammy Brooks (Iowa)
197: Matt Correnti vs 2 Seed Brett Pfarr (Minn)

All 6 Sessions (2 each Thur, Fri and Saturday) will be on an ESPN TV outlet and all mats shown online at ESPN3 (free ):

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-r...tling-championships-sessions-espn-first-time/

Last edited:
The RU wrestling Twitter guy got a new job, hopefully the new person knows what they're doing.

Session 1 noon today

133: Scott DelVecchio vs 3 seed Kaid Brock (Ok St)
141: 5 Seed Anthony Ashnault vs Mason Smith (CMU)
149: 15 Seed Ken Theobold vs Sam Krivus (UVa)
157: 13 Seed John Van Brill vs Kyle Langenderfer (ILL.)
174: Jordan Pagano vs 6 Seed Ryan Preicsh (Lehigh)
184: Nick Gravina vs 3 Seed Sammy Brooks (Iowa)
197: Matt Correnti vs 2 Seed Brett Pfarr (Minn)

All 6 Sessions (2 each Thur, Fri and Saturday) will be on an ESPN TV outlet and all mats shown online at ESPN3 (free ):

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-r...tling-championships-sessions-espn-first-time/

Some really tough draws for Nick and Correnti. Aside from Pagano, I think DelVecchio has a punchers chance at an upset as I see Gravina and Correnti both going down in the first round. That's not a knock, just 2 very tough opponents. DelVecchio is wrestling at his best right now and was literally right there vs. the B1G studs so I like his chances the best within our group. Ash and Theo should roll in their openers. JVB should win but he's been kind of tricky to predict lately. Can Pagano pull it off twice?

Going to be tough to push through another AA outside of Ashnault... but that's why they wrestle the matches. Wondering if there is a 2014 Perrotti or 2012 Billy Ashnault (1 win away from AA if I recall) in this group.

I better get some work done now b/c come noon time, I'm not so confident.

Just finished breakfast out here as we are on central time. Brock is very slick on his feet so Scott will have to avoid getting taken down. Spent a lot of time here last night with Taylor Walsh, our SKWC coach. Great young man and a credit to RU. Great talking wrestling and our kids with him. Heading out to the venue in 30 minutes. Will keep you updated.

Reactions: jerzey devil
The Road to AA

Win your first 3 matches you are an AA (semi-finalist top 6 guaranteed)

Win 1st two matches then loss, need to win 1 in wrestle backs

Win 1st match then loss, need to win 3 in wrestle backs

Loss 1st match, need to win 4 in wrestle backs.

I cannot get ESPN3 to work, keep getting an error message. Anyone else having issues?

Ashnault wins 8-4. Was on bottom entire 3rd period.

Occasionally having issues getting into ESPN 3 but got luck to see the 3rd period for AA.

I cannot get ESPN3 to work, keep getting an error message. Anyone else having issues?

Ashnault wins 8-4. Was on bottom entire 3rd period.

Occasionally having issues getting into ESPN 3 but got luck to see the 3rd period for AA.
I haven't had issues with WatchESPN running on 2 different laptops (4 mats on each) & ESPNU on the TV. I also have the basketball games on 2 tablets. Could be your device or internet/WiFi.

No problems here RC1978... of course I'm loging in from my smart phone.

So tough loss for Scotty D. Let's see what he can do in the wrestle back. Thought Ashnault was in complete control until that 3rd period. He needs to get away from those lanky guys. Can't lose that riding time advantage on the top guys.

looked like he wasn't trying to & was conserving energy. Still a convincing win but he probably could've majored. Heil only won 6-5.
I just didn't like the fact that Ash got ridden out. Ash NEEDS to get out from bottom against the top 4 seed. Hopefully this was a wakeup call.

Is there a schedule for what time and what mat the Rutgers men wrestle?
no schedule but if you follow @RUWrestling on Twitter, they do an awesome job of tweeting who's up, on deck, in the hole, mat assignment, scoring & results.
I just didn't like the fact that Ash got ridden out. Ash NEEDS to get out from bottom against the top 4 seed. Hopefully this was a wakeup call.
yeah I don't either but it's about surviving & advancing these next 3 days, ugly or not. And yes he'll need to get out against the top 4.

Reactions: RUpop and Scangg
Is there a schedule for what time and what mat the Rutgers men wrestle?
no schedule but if you follow @RUWrestling on Twitter, they do an awesome job of tweeting who's up, on deck, in the hole, mat assignment, scoring & results.
yeah I don't either but it's about surviving & advancing these next 3 days, ugly or not. And yes he'll need to get out against the top 4.
Thanks the Twitter account is very helpful. Flipping around between this and bball and hard to find the right mat and when they are up otherwise

Reactions: Leonard23
Our guys seem to get upset in tournaments, but we never upset anyone. Referring to jvb loss.

Thanks the Twitter account is very helpful. Flipping around between this and bball and hard to find the right mat and when they are up otherwise
You're welcome. They always do an awesome job & make it so easy for us.

Reactions: Scangg
Ugly performance by JVB against a guy he pinned & beat 7-0.
Let's be serious here, when he pinned him, we was getting WORKED prior.

It was a bad draw after Murphy withdrew. Crazy thing? I think Van Brill has a better shot to move further in his bracket.

Check it:

He drops down to wrestle Mosley (US) of GW.

Then he gets the loser of Lavellee (3) vs. Mastriani (14).

One would think it would be Mastriani (14).

Then it comes down to Glass (12), Fox (US), or Parsons (11) followed by the winner of Clagon (US) vs Shields (9), as they should lose to Nolf (1)

Had he won and lost to Berger (4), he would have likely had to beat Palacio (7) or Kemerer (2) to place.

I'll keep drinking my Kool Aid, but I like this path better.

The Van Brill upset loss is pretty bad. Van Brill pinned Langendorfer and also Decisioned him 7-0 earlier this season.

Let's not kill JVB here. Nobody on this board would have had this guy anywhere near being a ranked wrestler back in October. Perhaps he hit a wall and perhaps people are catching on to his style. He can still make some noise in wrestle backs.

Our guys seem to get upset in tournaments, but we never upset anyone. Referring to jvb loss.

don't get too caught up in the "upsets"... there's not a lot of separation between most of these wrestlers!! Yes JVB beat him twice.. First one was a hail mary flying cement...2nd was in a wrestleback match...these 2 are pretty even and while in the technical terms it is an upset.. Theres 100 scenarios of how a match between those 2 can play out

That's a little harsh & not accurate. In 2014, an unranked Perrotti beat #6 & #8 to AA. Upsets happen. Did you wrestle? At a high level?
Let's be serious here, when he pinned him, we was getting WORKED prior.

It was a bad draw after Murphy withdrew. Crazy thing? I think Van Brill has a better shot to move further in his bracket.

Check it:

He drops down to wrestle Mosley (US) of GW.

Then he gets the loser of Lavellee (3) vs. Mastriani (14).

One would think it would be Mastriani (14).

Then it comes down to Glass (12), Fox (US), or Parsons (11) followed by the winner of Clagon (US) vs Shields (9), as they should lose to Nolf (1)

Had he won and lost to Berger (4), he would have likely had to beat Palacio (7) or Kemerer (2) to place.

I'll keep drinking my Kool Aid, but I like this path better.
The draw may be better but he beat him 7-0 two weeks ago.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT