ADVERTISEMENT

Tournament Thread: NCAA Wrestling Championships Session 4, Friday 8 pm

Hey tru2ru stfu. I was following on track wrestling. I was asking a question. If it happened that late with van brill in the lead why wasn't it caught and corrected ?

It looked like they stopped clock at 26s and restarted after short break at 19s. Not sure if they captured the true time clock malfunctioned. Gave time to recover... and momentum turned immediately after the restart.

This completely. Gave the Arizona State kid a clear shot to shoot from a neutral position.

If there was a clock issue why wasn’t the brick thrown

Did you see the match? The clock stopped. They tried to put time back on. But the fact that they had to stop the match because the clock stopped changed the flow of the match. Do you understand that?

Reactions: TRU2RU
Actually its Imart vs Marinelli, lol. Joseph vs Mcfadden

Let's go Imart and Mcfadden !!! lol

Did you see the match? The clock stopped. They tried to put time back on. But the fact that they had to stop the match because the clock stopped changed the flow of the match. Do you understand that?

And by the way don't take my word for it. The announcer said the same thing. And these announcers are hardly Rutgers shills.

Reactions: TRU2RU
It looked like they stopped clock at 26s and restarted after short break at 19s. Not sure if they captured the true time clock malfunctioned. Gave time to recover... and momentum turned immediately after the restart.
True, but I still don't know why Van Brill's strategy was to engage him, you've won the match. You continue to back up and block with arms extended. You had 3 stalls to give up in 19 secs. and still would have won.

WTF did the coaches tell him when they called him over to the corner? It was a Monty Python skit in my living room as I yelled, "Run away, Run away" at my TV.

Reactions: bigmatt718
True, but I still don't know why Van Brill's strategy was to engage him, you've won the match. You continue to back up and block with arms extended. You had 3 stalls to give up in 19 secs. and still would have won.

WTF did the coaches tell him when they called him over to the corner? It was a Monty Python skit in my living room as I yelled, "Run away, Run away" at my TV.
JVB will AA here at RU. He really should've stalled the living shit out of Shields in that last 20 seconds. Sucks but JVB will learn from this and get better. He's only a RS Sophomore right?

Reactions: koleszar
no doubt it changed the flow of the match..... but getting taken down 2x in 19 secs is going to sting for a while

Reactions: SirScarlet

Yeah... it really makes you wonder what they told him. But that guy came on like a wild man at the restart.

Reactions: koleszar
Redshirt Junior.

Rutgers 42.5 Points after Session IV:

Nick Suriano 20.5 (alive & returns next year)
Scott DelVecchio 12.5 (alive)
John Van Brill 4.0 (eliminated but returns next year)
Richie Lewis 3.0 (eliminated & done at Rutgers)
Nick Gravina 1.5 (eliminated but returns next year)
Eleazar DeLuca 1.0 (eliminated & done at Rutgers)

Reactions: biazza38
Rutgers 42.5 Points after Session IV:

Nick Suriano 20.5 (alive & returns next year)
Scott DelVecchio 12.5 (alive)
John Van Brill 4.0 (eliminated but returns next year)
Richie Lewis 3.0 (eliminated & done at Rutgers)
Nick Gravina 1.5 (eliminated but returns next year)
Eleazar DeLuca 1.0 (eliminated & done at Rutgers)

Current Standings:

01 Penn St 120.5
02 Ohio St 109.5
03 Iowa 86.5
04 Michigan 73.5
05 North Carolina St 69.5
06 Missouri 51.5
07 Virginia Tech 44.5
08 Cornell 43.0
09 RUTGERS 42.5
10 Arizona St 37.0
10 South Dakota St 37.0
12 Oklahoma St 35.5
13 Lehigh 34.5
14 Nebraska 34.0
15 Illinois 33.0
16 Lock Haven 31.5
17 Wyoming 27.5
18 Minnesota 24.0
19 North Carolina 22.5
20 Northwestern 20.0
20 Wisconsin 20.0

Last edited:
Reactions: biazza38
Current Standings:

01 Penn St 120.5
02 Ohio St 109.5
03 Iowa 86.5
04 Michigan 73.5
05 North Carolina St 69.5
06 Missouri 51.5
07 Virginia Tech 44.5
08 Cornell 43.0
09 RUTGERS 42.5
10 Arizona St 37.0
10 South Dakota St 37.0
12 Oklahoma St 35.5
13 Lehigh 34.5
14 Nebraska 34.0
15 Illinois 33.0
16 Lock Haven 31.5
Damn that JVB blood round loss stings. RU would be 7th right now and threatening Mizzou for 6th place.

Damn that JVB blood round loss stings. RU would be 7th right now and threatening Mizzou for 6th place.

My guess is that all of the stall calls that gave DelV a chance to catch up in his match are what led to JVB engaging as much as he did in the last 19 seconds.

What a shame. Kid really wrestled great though
vs. a #4 seed getting back points and all.
So close.

157. WTF. Did anyone ever tell this kid and I am not blaming coaches. You wrestle until the match is over. I think 3 TDS in a 20 second time frame including OT. He had the match won and a AA.

JVB seriously needs to stop going for the cheap back points when the opponent takes bottom. How many times does he have to get reversed or put into danger before he stops doing it. At the end of the match he simply stopped wrestling. He lost because he knew he could give up a take down it seems. So he gave up the take down, and then didnt account for the fact the kid would immediately let go of him. If he had challenged the first take down, instead of stupidly letting the kid have it, that loss never would have happened.

Shame.

I am thrilled to see Scott achieve his goals. The way he slid into NCAAs and lost in the first round, I figured his time at Rutgers was over. Couldn't be more happy for him.

For Richie, it is what it is. Everyone knew 165 was super deep this year, and he wanted to move himself into that situation. Can't feel bad for him. He could have sucked weight all year and been a high AA at 157. He chose a situation where you get an absolute beast like Marstellar in the blood round. That's the way it goes.

3 times in that match Richie put himself in a position where he came over the back and tried to grab a foot and gave up 2. Really not very smart wrestling. Some of our guys do the same things over and over and over, even though they simply don't work.

All in all a tough night. That said, I think we will finish top ten in the team score. Which is awesome, and absolutely matters. I was ridiculed by the PSU jack offs when I said we were a top 5 team this year -- that was in the fall, when we had Ash and Lewis at 157....doesn't seem so crazy now.

Last edited:
You can read Leonardis’s lips when they had stoppage to fix the clock. He says “Don’t give him anything easy. No easy shots.”.

Coaches can tell them exactly what to do, but if the wrestlers don’t execute, it doesn’t mean sh*t. Van Brill should have known what to do there.

Reactions: Ole Cabbagehead
JVB seriously needs to stop going for the cheap back points when the opponent takes bottom. How many times does he have to get reversed or put into danger before he stops doing it. At the end of the match he simply stopped wrestling. He lost because he knew he could give up a take down it seems. So he gave up the take down, and then didnt account for the fact the kid would immediately let go of him. If he had challenged the first take down, instead of stupidly letting the kid have it, that loss never would have happened.

Shame.

I am thrilled to see Scott achieve his goals. The way he slid into NCAAs and lost in the first round, I figured his time at Rutgers was over. Couldn't be more happy for him.

For Richie, it is what it is. Everyone knew 165 was super deep this year, and he wanted to move himself into that situation. Can't feel bad for him. He could have sucked weight all year and been a high AA at 157. He chose a situation where you get an absolute beast like Marstellar in the blood round. That's the way it goes.

Beyond that, 3 times in that match Richie put himself in a position where he came over the back and tried to grab a foot and gave up 2. Really not very smart wrestling. Some of our guys do the same things over and over and over, even though they simply don't work.

All in all a tough night. That said, I think we will finish top ten in the team score. Which is awesome, and absolutely matters. I was ridiculed the PSU jack offs when I said we were a top 5 team this year. In the fall, when we had Ash and Lewis at 157....doesn't seem so crazy now.

You’re exactly right. He was taking the easy way out and giving up the take down and planned on the kid not having enough time to let him up and take him down again. Unbelievable.

You can read Leonardis’s lips when they had stoppage to fix the clock. He says “Don’t give him anything easy. No easy shots.”.

Coaches can tell them exactly what to do, but if the wrestlers don’t execute, it doesn’t mean sh*t. Van Brill should have known what to do there.

Whats amazing is that everyone at this level is a student of the sport (almost). How many times have we seen this play out. It happens to dozens of kids every single year...losing matches they should have won because they are wrestling cute at the end. It is a rare circumstance where your best bet is not to just wrestle hard.

How often has JVB been taken straight to his back by a kid of that caliber??? Hardly ever. And thats what he was focused on with a foot on the circle and 15 seconds?? So dumb. Wrestle hard and he is an AA.

Reactions: CerealNTacos
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT