ADVERTISEMENT

Mask/Vaccine Policy For Basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol
I don’t.
I think as fsg2 said.
What are your thoughts on boosters for young people?
Is my daughter who had her two shot vaccination two years ago vaxed in the eyes of Rutgers?
My thoughts are that, as a generalization, many people have changed mindsets in recent years as the internet and specifically social media have grown.

It’s now more and more common for people to discuss weighing the merits of all opinions, as opposed to deferring to professionals on certain subjects (medicine most relevant here). In practice, “weighing the merits of all opinions” too often leads to people overvaluing opinions that play to their fears or emotions and ignoring that those opinions are relatively baseless.

In this case, I’m inclined to trust the aggregate opinion of physicians, because 1) I didn’t go through medical school, residency, and years of work in medicine, 2) the vast majority of people who are opposed to the vaccines and boosters did not go through medical school, residency, and years of work in medicine, and 3) statistically, it makes more sense to trust what a larger sample size is saying vs. one-off friends and family in the field.

So the short answer is, I’m relying on the highly trained, vast majority of physicians to guide me over unqualified people or one-off friends and family. That highly trained majority says vaccinate and boost.

true statement and that's why she's changing how CDC is handling health threats from the way it handled Covid 19 when it first appeared in the USA.
Responding to the threat , when infections started showing up, was far too slow and now that type of mistake is being addressed.
Glad to see the head of the CDC admit mistakes were made and set out to correct them

President-elect Joe Biden appointed Rochelle Walensky CHC's director and it looks like she's changing that agency into one that can be trusted to do what the public needs when health threats pop up.

They are doing something because they know they will be under investigation in 2023

Its a little too late

ok
That’s not going to happen with my vaxed kids.
We’ve got a dear friend of my daughter laying in the hospital with a seemingly incurable immune system syndrome after her booster
Sorry to hear that your daughter’s friend is ill.

That is your decision to make, but I’m just fed up with the misleading attempted “gotcha” arguments around vaccines being useless, doctors not recommending them, etc., because they’re inaccurate. If anyone has strong beliefs around not vaccinating, they should give the real reasons like you just did vs. trying to lie and mislead.

Reactions: zappaa
They are doing something because they know they will be under investigation in 2023

Its a little too late
glad to hear of a probable investigation over how covid 19 was mishandled when it first started infecting people in this country and people were told not to worry about it.
Some people even , on social media, made like people saying the virus was a health threat were overacting. Poo Pooing the warnings and finding as much misinformation they could to claim the threat wasn't real
Might not get the social media deniers to admit they made a mistake, but will be glad to she those in authority that didn't do a good job being held accountable.
The changes being made now can't help those already affected by incompetence, but can prevent the mistakes in the past from continuing.

• Haha
Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
glad to hear of a probable investigation over how covid 19 was mishandled when it first started infecting people in this country and people were told not to worry about it.
Some people even , on social media, made like people saying the virus was a health threat were overacting. Poo Pooing the warnings and finding as much misinformation they could to claim the threat wasn't real
Might not get the social media deniers to admit they made a mistake, but will be glad to she those in authority that didn't do a good job being held accountable.
The changes being made now can't help those already affected by incompetence, but can prevent the mistakes in the past from continuing.

😂

Fauci poo pood it as late as the end of January...start there

Birx bold face lied about lockdowns andthe vaccine and she wittingly laughs as she admits it
yep Bix deserves to be held accountable for not doing a good job.
In an interview she referred to almost 450,000 deaths, ( as she put it) “in my mind, could have been mitigated or decreased substantially” had the administration acted more aggressively.
She was part of that administration

Reactions: zebnatto
Surgeons historically wear surgical masks, which is why they’re surgical masks
Fair enough ... they are worn so the surgeon doesn't spit germs directly into an open wound.

The CDC knew masks didn't work (and might actually be counterproductive) back in May 2020, the same month they were insisting the whole world shut down for the 5th and 6th weeks of "two weeks to flatten the curve" They published this in their Emerging Infectious Diseases Journal that month ...

-----------------

Nonpharmaceutical Measures for Pandemic Influenza in Nonhealthcare Settings—Personal Protective and Environmental Measures

"There were 3 influenza pandemics in the 20th century, and there has been 1 so far in the 21st century. Local, national, and international health authorities regularly update their plans for mitigating the next influenza pandemic in light of the latest available evidence on the effectiveness of various control measures in reducing transmission. Here, we review the evidence base on the effectiveness of nonpharmaceutical personal protective measures and environmental hygiene measures in nonhealthcare settings and discuss their potential inclusion in pandemic plans. Although mechanistic studies support the potential effect of hand hygiene or face masks, evidence from 14 randomized controlled trials of these measures did not support a substantial effect on transmission of laboratory-confirmed influenza. We similarly found limited evidence on the effectiveness of improved hygiene and environmental cleaning. We identified several major knowledge gaps requiring further research, most fundamentally an improved characterization of the modes of person-to-person transmission."

--------------

That's fine though because there are plenty of studies that found masks are not even effective in a hospital/surgical environment (and these were long before May 2020) ...

Studies of Surgical Masks Efficacy: Masks are useless in preventing the spread of disease (even during surgery)

Last edited:
Reactions: bac2therac
Fauci poo pood it as late as the end of January...start there
Fauci also stated mistakes were made going by available data at the some, but as more knowledge was obtained it was used instead.
so your jan reference is just an old claim that is invalid, but used by the anti science crowd. trying to prove one strike is an out.
Instead of realizing ajustments being made because of more knowledge being found out about the virus is a sign of being good at your job.

Tell you what. Next time you or a loved one has to go in for surgery, be sure to inform the surgeon and nurses not to mask or gown up since you feel its all bullshit. In fact feel free to also inform them not to wash and glove up and let them know they can just show up in dirty gym clothes and dig in because you feel trying to inhibit the transmission of "germs" is bullshit.
Are you comparing masks worn during surgery to masks worn for stopping a virus? I hope you are not, if you are you have a lot to learn about them.

Fauci also stated mistakes were made going by available data at the some, but as more knowledge was obtained it was used instead.
so your jan reference is just an old claim that is invalid, but used by the anti science crowd. trying to prove one strike is an out.
Instead of realizing ajustments being made because of more knowledge being found out about the virus is a sign of being good at your job.
They weren't "mistakes." They were intentional. Fauci has now flat-out admitted he lied to the public about masks (personally, I believe he was lying about lying, but either way he said he was untruthful). And Birx said in her book that they repeatedly lied to the President because they believed if they were honest, he wouldn't take their advice.

That's not mistakes.

They weren't "mistakes." They were intentional. Fauci has now flat-out admitted he lied to the public about masks (personally, I believe he was lying about lying, but either way he said he was untruthful). And Birx said in her book that they repeatedly lied to the President because they believed if they were honest, he wouldn't take their advice.

That's not mistakes.
While Fauci initially advised people not to wear masks, Fauci later said that he was concerned that there wouldn’t be enough protective equipment for health care workers. This was also early in the pandemic before public health experts fully knew how contagious the disease was and how it spread.
Fauci explained that at that time, “we were not aware that 40 to 45% of people were asymptomatic, nor were we aware that a substantial proportion of people who get infected get infected from people who are without symptoms. That makes it overwhelmingly important for everyone to wear a mask.”
“So when people say, ‘Well, why did you change your stance? And why are you emphasizing masks so much now when back then you didn't -- and in fact you even said you shouldn't because there was a shortage of masks?’ Well the data now are very, very clear,” he said.
“We need to put that nonsense behind us about ‘well, they keep changing their minds,’ ” Fauci said.
As to Fauci’s other comments, while he occasionally sought to reassure Americans in the very early days of the virus, he consistently advised to follow CDC guidelines and that things could change.

While Fauci initially advised people not to wear masks, Fauci later said that he was concerned that there wouldn’t be enough protective equipment for health care workers.
I don't give a **** what his reasoning was. A noble lie is still a lie. By his own admission, he deceived the public to get them to do something he believed they would not have done had he been honest.

“We need to put that nonsense behind us about ‘well, they keep changing their minds,’ ” Fauci said.
Public officials always want to "put nonsense behind them" when they get caught lying to the public.

Reactions: RUDead
Why would you vaccinate a HEALTHY child when the risk of the virus affecting them any more than a common cold is 0000.1 percent?
Science deniers. CNN/MSNBC/Twitter suckers.
That's death data. Is death the only concern?
Of course other symptoms of Covid would be a concern. But vaccine induced Myocarditis is a huge concern. A less than 2 year old vaccine with data that hasn't all been released is a concern. As a parent not positive what was the right thing to do but both boys already had covid and had minimal symptons so not worried about it now.

3 friends/associates stroked out in the last 3 months. Thats a lot All between 45 and 55. All vaccinated. Was it Covid, the vaccine or something else.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Show me the long term studies on the vaccine. My boys had covid a long time ago. What would be the benefit of vaccinating them with a vaccine that doesnt work that well on Omnicron?

6% of kids zero to five are vaccinated. Are all those parents doing the wrong thing?

Science deniers. CNN/MSNBC/Twitter suckers.

Of course other symptoms of Covid would be a concern. But vaccine induced Myocarditis is a huge concern. A less than 2 year old vaccine with data that hasn't all been released is a concern. As a parent not positive what was the right thing to do but both boys already had covid and had minimal symptons so not worried about it now.

3 friends/associates stroked out in the last 3 months. Thats a lot All between 45 and 55. All vaccinated. Was it Covid, the vaccine or something else.

Those two independent responses contradict each other.

And I'm not arguing for or against your decision/your kids, simply against the strange attitude that the decision to vax kids is somehow wrong or crazy.

Is it just me or anyone else will have headache if wearing masks for couple hours?

Show me the long term studies on the vaccine. My boys had covid a long time ago. What would be the benefit of vaccinating them with a vaccine that doesnt work that well on Omnicron?

6% of kids zero to five are vaccinated. Are all those parents doing the wrong thing?
Nice straw man. I responded to your concern about myocarditis from the vaccine with a scientific study showing that COVID is more likely to cause it than the vaccine. Unless you have sometime to refute that you’re arguing in bad faith just for the sake of confirming your bias.

I wouldn’t say they’re doing the wrong thing. I’d say you’re using a flawed data set.

For #1, the guidelines to vaccinate under age 5 only came out from the ACIP/CDC/AAP 2 months ago, so of course the percent vaccinated in that age group will be lower. Children under 6 months are also excluded, so that artificially lowers the percentage vaccinated between 0-5 years old since you’d assume roughly 8-10% of that cohort is under 6 months.

This is all disregarding that you’re again trying to mislead by equating this cohort to teenagers and adults.

I do not know if its right or wrong. But a whole lot of parents seem to be hesistant with vaccinating their children for Covid. If parents want to vaccinate their kids they should. Schools, organizations and most jobs shouldn't require it.

I believe at my age with high blood preasure getting vaccinated was the right thing to do.

Covid vax rates broken down for kids.

So that study that ended in Jan 22 was only with healthy children in ages 10-24 group ( up to young adult)? Because if it includes 73 year old fat guys doesn't say much to the parents with young kids.

Nice straw man. I responded to your concern about myocarditis from the vaccine with a scientific study showing that COVID is more likely to cause it than the vaccine. Unless you have sometime to refute that you’re arguing in bad faith just for the sake of confirming your bias.

I wouldn’t say they’re doing the wrong thing. I’d say you’re using a flawed data set.

For #1, the guidelines to vaccinate under age 5 only came out from the ACIP/CDC/AAP 2 months ago, so of course the percent vaccinated in that age group will be lower. Children under 6 months are also excluded, so that artificially lowers the percentage vaccinated between 0-5 years old since you’d assume roughly 8-10% of that cohort is under 6 months.

This is all disregarding that you’re again trying to mislead by equating this cohort to teenagers and adults.

Good to know about Myocarditis. I took the advice of family and friends who are in the medical and scientific fields and that's that.

Tell you what. Next time you or a loved one has to go in for surgery, be sure to inform the surgeon and nurses not to mask or gown up since you feel its all bullshit. In fact feel free to also inform them not to wash and glove up and let them know they can just show up in dirty gym clothes and dig in because you feel trying to inhibit the transmission of "germs" is bullshit.
There is a difference between a sterile operating room where the mask and all clothings are worn once and disposed and Isle 4 at Shop Rite where you pull your gross cloth mask out of your glove box or pocket.

Good grief how are you guys this dense about masks 2 years in.

ITT I learn why I still see people out there wearing masks. There is no changing your mind, you are permanently damaged.

RU will also be scratching their heads 10, 20, 30 40 years from now, trying to figure out why numbers are down from donations for students that experienced this. Way past embarrassing.

Here's another worthwhile article
Updated CDC COVID guidelines remove distinction between vaccinated and unvaccinated - ABC11 Raleigh-Durham:
>"We have to keep in mind we're losing 500 people a day due to COVID which is the third leading cause of death in the United States," said infectious diseases physician at UNC Health Dr. David Weber.
He believes the recommendations are consistent with what everyone is willing to accept right now.
"We have to learn how to protect ourselves and our loved ones, but we also have to resume a reasonable, normal life and earn a living and have our kids go to school," Weber said.
The recommendations from the CDC have been in the works for months. The agency is making changes now because vaccination and prior infections have given 95% of Americans some degree of protection.<
https://abc11.com/cdc-new-covid-guidelines-north-carolina-vaccine-dr-david-weber/12118775/

For what it's worth:
my opinion if more and more people refuse to get vaccinated, the risk of Covid 19 to the public might mean more hospitalizations and deaths .
As for the healthy child excuse, why not add the healthy adult doesn't need the shot.
That was used in the beginning of outbreak and maybe the healthy adults didn't get it as bad as the unhealthy and elderly victims, but the healthy that were infected could have caused many an unhealthy one get sick because of the healthy refusing to be protected.
Being vaccinated is, in my opinion, to protect yourself by trying to be immunized from the virus and by being protected keeping from spreading it to someone that catching the virus could be fatal because of being in poor health.
Looking out for #1, in health choices can't be faulted , unless that can cause #2-3 & 4 health problems
I am going to regret wading into this . . . But it is clear that getting vaccinated does not reduce your ability to catch the virus and infect others. Which has been the big problem with this vaccine, we were told a lot of things that turned out not to be true. At this point people should be able to do whatever they want, you are not risking others, just yourself, and if you are generally healthy you probably aren’t taking a very big risk.

He also keeps repeating a lie that was not China lab leak

The vaccine and covid can both cause myocarditis and since the vaccine doesn't prevent covid, why would someone want to double their chances of getting myocarditis by getting the vaccine?

Events: All indoor events require attendees to show proof of full vaccination or a COVID-19 negative PCR test taken within 72 hours prior to the event. Face coverings are no longer required at events. There are no restrictions imposed on outdoor events.
this has nothing to do with Johnson and Johnson being next door by the way..
(sarcasm)

Not sure if this is legit enough but article ironically article came out today.

WHO in June suggested to further investigate lab leak theory.

Reactions: bac2therac
The vaccine and covid can both cause myocarditis and since the vaccine doesn't prevent covid, why would someone want to double their chances of getting myocarditis by getting the vaccine?
Because the odds of getting myocarditis from the vaccine are incredibly low relative to getting long COVID symptoms and adverse medical outcomes if unvaccinated, just based on the published statistics. I assume that’s why every major medical group supports vaccination.

• Haha
this has nothing to do with Johnson and Johnson being next door by the way..
(sarcasm)
Are you implying that there’s some sort of conspiracy where J&J influenced Rutgers’ Fall 2022 vaccine policy, in order to sell incremental COVID vaccines to an NJ population that is 92% vaccinated with at least one dose, after the use of their vaccine was greatly limited in May?

Might want to check the math on that one.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT